• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Michael Dawson

Re: Why does Dawson not get picked for England?

So can someone remind me how many goals we've conceded this season when he's played?

FFS!

yep...in that fan questionnaire at the start of the season I had him down as the player to disappoint the most this season........so far he has proved me spectacularly wrong...........fair play to him.

I think maybe if you look back last season the performance away vs Chelsea might be an indicator as to why he may be overlooked in the international set-up....against quick movement, technical players he can look out of place. But you cant fault the guy really especially this season.

perhaps Woy is too far down the Jags/Cahill Canal to turn back.

who knows.....perhaps Woy hates Dawson????????

He's certainly better than Cahill, Jagielka and co. He also has a leadership streak, unlike those chinless wonders.

The most logical explanation I can come up with is that Hodgson's got a bet on that England will field an all ex-Sheffield United backline during the world cup, and getting the nation to accept Naughton at LB is the final piece in his masterplan.

It's sad for Dawson, but selfishly I'd rather get another two seasons out of him in club football, than waste his time/energies with that hopeless bunch.

:ross:

So can someone remind me how many goals we've conceded this season when he's played?

FFS!

Danny Rose and Kyle Naughton for England then?

We've all seen Dawson for a long time now, for several seasons in different setups, with different partners and under different managers. Like the England management we should have a decent idea about how good he is and what his strengths are. A relatively small number of games with few goals conceded doesn't change that.

He is still in the top 4 of eligible English centre backs though. The Stats for this season speak for themselves.

Jones and Smalling are there because it's compulsory to have an overhyped Man Utd player in the squad.

Dawson is better than either of them.

He is still in the top 4 of eligible English centre backs though. The Stats for this season speak for themselves.

If they do the only thing they say is how many goals we've conceded, nothing about how good Dawson is compared to other English centre backs that play for other teams.

Jones and Smalling are there because it's compulsory to have an overhyped Man Utd player in the squad.

Dawson is better than either of them.

I know this is far from a perfect argument as mistakes are made in the transfer market quite often, but if Dawson was so clearly better than some of these players that are regular starters for United, Chelsea and Everton why was it that when we were willing to sell Dawson and it's probably safe to assume that Dawson is on very reasonable wages the only club that seemed to show real interest in signing him were QPR?

Danny Rose and Kyle Naughton for England then?

We've all seen Dawson for a long time now, for several seasons in different setups, with different partners and under different managers. Like the England management we should have a decent idea about how good he is and what his strengths are. A relatively small number of games with few goals conceded doesn't change that.
Both Rose and Naughton have made just three PL appearances each so clearly this is not a valid comparison. Especially so as Naughton, playing out of position, conceded four of the five PL goals in total to date,and was then dropped in favour of Verthomghen.

I'll concede Dawson lacks a degree of finesse even to the extent it's a surprise he still in there, but like Terry he more than compensates with other qualities such as leadership and a willingness to die for the cause.

Incidentally, is it also your view that Rose will never be good enough to play for England? He's clearly some way behind Cole and Baines at present but if he continues to progress the way he has in the last 18 months who's to say he won't soon be challenging? Of all our injured players I'd argue he is the one we've missed since he's been out.

Both Rose and Naughton have made just three PL appearances each so clearly this is not a valid comparison. Especially so as Naughton, playing out of position, conceded four of the five PL goals in total to date,and was then dropped in favour of Verthomghen.

I'll concede Dawson lacks a degree of finesse even to the extent it's a surprise he still in there, but like Terry he more than compensates with other qualities such as leadership and a willingness to die for the cause.

Incidentally, is it also your view that Rose will never be good enough to play for England? He's clearly some way behind Cole and Baines at present but if he continues to progress the way he has in the last 18 months who's to say he won't soon be challenging? Of all our injured players I'd argue he is the one we've missed since he's been out.

As much as I dislike Terry as a person I think most on here could name 10 things he's better at on the pitch than Dawson, or at least things he were better at when he was at his best and was an England regular. I can't think of a single thing Dawson does better than Terry. Terry was a top class centre back, very close to world class imo. Dawson is not.

Have I said anything to indicate that Rose will never be good enough to play for England? Didn't think so...

Should have been sent off.

yeah that was a wild challenge, but he did go for the ball....ive seen worse go unpunished. At least his foot wasnt raised

yeah that was a wild challenge, but he did go for the ball....ive seen worse go unpunished. At least his foot wasnt raised

Yep, that Mackem **** Larsson didn't even get booked for a leg breaker type tackle in their game v Emirates Marketing Project.

I just wish he'd done it to Cabaye after his near ankle-breaker on Dembele last season.

Why does he not get picked? He's not very good. Ball watching, rash tackles, needless long balls.

I wonder if Capoue will ever get games at centre half?

Why does he not get picked? He's not very good. Ball watching, rash tackles, needless long balls.
Thought he was decent today. Numerous interceptions, high percentage of accurate passes whilst other defenders preferred to cop out, and that LONE rash tackle actually got us out of a scrape.

Good on ya Daws, seems it just happens to be your turn to be the whipping boy atm.

Thought he was decent today. Numerous interceptions, high percentage of accurate passes whilst other defenders preferred to cop out, and that LONE rash tackle actually got us out of a scrape.

Good on ya Daws, seems it just happens to be your turn to be the whipping boy atm.

always is unfortunately but I guarantee he will be in the team of any manager that comes in especially as our current problems have nothing to do with him.

It was his mistake that led to the period of pressure from Saudi Sportswashing Machine they eventually got their goal from. Not paying attention to the striker running behind him. Not saying it was his fault they scored, but it was typical from him to leave an unmarked player with loads of space.

Also noticed a couple of times when we were trying to keep possession by passing it amongst ourselves, it's always him that gets impatient and tries a long ball.

Back