• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino

If any of that is true it needs to happen as soon as the season ends, we can't be messing around building a squad for a Conte team if Poch is coming back.
I've got mixed feelings, I think we could do something pretty special under Conte once he has the right players but it's Poch!!!!! Could we have both of them?? o_O

Anyone who thinks we should ditch Conte before he’s had a summer transfer window and pre-season is a fudging idiot.

Anyone who thinks we should ditch Conte before he’s had a summer transfer window and pre-season is a fudging idiot.

Absolutely. Under no circumstances should we be pushing for this scenario - but if Conte is somehow souring and ready to join PSG, we could do worse than take Poch back. But we should under no circumstance look to sack Conte, that would be absolute madness.

And,following up on my post in the Conte thread, I would like to add this re: Poch coming back this summer.

We're probably at a crossroads in terms of the team and what it will look like going forward - one of the biggest in the last ten years or so.

Whether we get CL or not will basically be the determining factor for two huge, overarching questions -
  • Whether Conte will stay, and
  • Whether Kane will stay.
If we get CL, Conte likely stays, Kane likely stays, and we proceed down the road we're on. If we don't get CL, both of those are likely to leave (imo) - Conte to another project which can actually back him as he deserves to be backed, and Kane to a side more ambitious than we are.

This also likely means Paratici leaves, btw - it's just a hunch, but I doubt he's sticking around without Conte. Call it a gut feeling.

Then there are a series of other decision points we have to get through as a club - assuming we don't make the CL, the following players will have to be replaced or moved on regardless of what else happens, either because they've grown utterly stale, or because they just aren't good enough, or because they're just likely to want to leave:
  • Lo Celso, Bergwijn, Winks, Emerson, Sanchez, Rodon, Davies, Dier, Gollini
Finally, there are some players who we will have to get rid of, but whom other teams just don't seem to want - the most prominent is the useless waste of space that is Tanguy Ndombele.

Point being, if we make CL, all is well. If we don't, it's a summer of utter revolution we're looking at.

But, curiously, it is also one of the most perfect opportunities for genuine change at Spurs in a long, long time - an opportunity to rip it all up and start over like few before it.
  • We will have 100m-ish from Kane, but also the fees from all those above we deign to move on;
  • we probably won't have high expectations, because losing Conte and Kane will be a gut-wrenching blow and will cause fans to basically give up on challenging in the short term; and
  • Levy will probably need to bring a manager in who can placate fan anger, which means giving him more control and backing than he would necessarily like to do.
And the one man who I think would basically tick the box for *all of the above* - who would be *perfect* to oversee this rebuilding job, pacify the worst of the fan discontent, engender patience and belief, and slowly rebuild a side in the months and years following that watershed summer....

.....is Mauricio Pochettino.

In essence, a CL-less summer this season takes us back to 2014-2015, in terms of being a rebuild job. We will have to gut the remainder of the core of the 'old' Poch side, the peak Poch side from 2016-2019.

But, it offers a blank canvas to build a new side, with some promising players to build around (Romero, Kulusevski, Bentancur, maybe Reguilon), some promising youngsters (Skippy, Tanganga, Devine, Scarlett) and some old heads to oversee the transition (Sonny, Lloris, Lucas, Davies and Dier if they somehow cling on again this summer).

And I think that sort of situation would actually be perfect for Poch - he would want it, we could give it to him, and he would have the time, freedom and funding to reshape the side in his mould. He might even be able to do something with Tanguy Ndombele, the great waste of space he wanted and specifically asked for - which the club would prefer.

So, I think there's more to these Poch links than is first apparent - I think an awful lot will hinge on how the next couple of weeks turns out, but after that, there is a genuine chance we reunite with Poch for the long term if we don't make the CL.

And you know what?

I would take it. Selling Kane, losing Conte, falling backwards for a spell, going into the wilderness for yet another rebuild...

...if Poch was leading us again, I'd fudging take it. I'd take Poch leading us in the wilderness as we start turning ourselves around - I'd even be happier than I can describe at that outcome.

I believe that much in that man and what he did here, against all odds.

In all the years since he left, the one thing that's become clear to me is that our animating spirit in those glory years wasn't Kane, wasn't Lloris, wasn't the team. It was Poch, and the unity he built between everyone at the club, from executives to players to fans.

If we are destined to start again this summer, let's go back to the sunnier, warmer, more optimistic days of 2014 - when we weren't sure where we were headed, but wouldn't have believed anyone if they had told us what we would do.

Despite everything it would mean for the long-term future of the club, everything it would demonstrate about Levy, Lewis and ENIC's corrosive, deadweight ownership of this club for 20 long, grinding years...

I'd take it. Bring Poch home this summer, and for once, I wouldn't mind that it would be another demonstration of why Levy and Lewis are chains on this club.

Bring him home, and I'd forgive.

Plus, if we keep Paratici, we have someone other than Poch running transfers. If we lose him, well, Marcus Edwards is unemployed. It doesn't have to be Poch running transfers anymore, since that was the number one complaint of a lot of posters here (never mind that in 95% of cases it was Levy being a useless cowardly cheapskate as he's been for 25 years, but whatever).

Plus, if we keep Paratici, we have someone other than Poch running transfers. If we lose him, well, Marcus Edwards is unemployed. It doesn't have to be Poch running transfers anymore, since that was the number one complaint of a lot of posters here (never mind that in 95% of cases it was Levy being a useless cowardly cheapskate as he's been for 25 years, but whatever).

Didnt mopo kick up a fuss that he wasn’t running transfers?

Would he want to work under another one after PSG.

I’m in the we would be mad to actively replace Conte camp

Congratulations poch, well done.
I love him, along with hoddle, mabbutt, perrymann, archibald, ossie, chris hughton and all the heroes i grew up watching theres a place in my affection for poch.
But don't come back, leave us with the good memories, because although we can never seem to pass up on a reunion they seldom work.
*Bale, Eriksen and poch, its beginning to sound like the blues brothers, "we're getting the band back together!", and that ended up in tge biggest car crash in history.

*yes i know bale never played with Eriksen or poch.

Didn't mind going to PSG and working under one of the most toxic DoFs in the game in Leonardo, so didn't seem like it was a problem for him.

I don't think he liked Levy running them, but he also actively brought into two that he'd worked with before and trusted - Ramon Planes and Paul Mitchell. I think he just wanted to delegate to someone he rated

Whether we get CL or not will basically be the determining factor for two huge, overarching questions -
  • Whether Conte will stay, and
  • Whether Kane will stay.
If we get CL, Conte likely stays, Kane likely stays, and we proceed down the road we're on. If we don't get CL, both of those are likely to leave (imo) - Conte to another project which can actually back him as he deserves to be backed, and Kane to a side more ambitious than we are.

In Conte’s case I don’t think qualification for CL means much to him - unless our ability to bring in the players he wants are completely dependent on it. He’s not shown much interest in the CL in previous jobs, in fact it seems to be accepted he prefers to have a week to prepare for games, seeing mid-week fixtures as a distraction. He actually said “I want to win the league” in a recent press conference.
I can only think that the current noise coming from France is complete flimflam. Unless something has gone very wrong behind the scenes at Spurs.
Edit: I wouldn’t rule out the possibility that Paratici’s head has been turned by PSG and that may be causing some ructions.

Didn't mind going to PSG and working under one of the most toxic DoFs in the game in Leonardo, so didn't seem like it was a problem for him.

How much was that the draw of the club and getting back into work?

If he did come back. I agree he shouldn’t be allowed near transfers

I don't think he liked Levy running them, but he also actively brought into two that he'd worked with before and trusted - Ramon Planes and Paul Mitchell. I think he just wanted to delegate to someone he rated

Having Levy run transfers is basically a death sentence for your hopes of getting someone that isn't Stambouli/Fazio-type bargain bin rubbish, so I don't blame him for that at all. Wise man if that's true.

In Conte’s case I don’t think qualification for CL means much to him - unless our ability to bring in the players he wants are completely dependent on it. He’s not shown much interest in the CL in previous jobs, in fact it seems to be accepted he prefers to have a week to prepare for games, seeing mid-week fixtures as a distraction. He actually said “I want to win the league” in a recent press conference.
I can only think that the current noise coming from France is complete flimflam. Unless something has gone very wrong behind the scenes at Spurs.
Edit: I wouldn’t rule out the possibility that Paratici’s head has been turned by PSG and that may be causing some ructions.

I agree - it's that 'backing is dependent on CL' bit that I think will make him leave. I can't see Levy undoing the habits of 25 years of miserable penny-pinching mediocrity to actually back him without the CL.

And I won against myself at Connect 4. Great weekend.

Quite.

Not trying to justify PSG fans booing the manager who has led them to a “title” but it did cross my mind that a fair amount of those fans would have probably walked the league with that squad themselves..

Would be a weird ass appointment, not sure what we would have expected Poch to learn at PSG that would help us to become truly competitive within our league and constraints. A poster mentioned Dortmund, would be a great move for him if he and Paris part ways.

How much was that the draw of the club and getting back into work?

If he did come back. I agree he shouldn’t be allowed near transfers

Dunno, but clearly it wasn't a deal-breaker then, and wouldn't be now given that he will possibly be in the same situation he was when he joined PSG - unemployed.

Back