• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino

He got most things right - and he got a few things wrong (mostly towards the end). I’ll always remember him incredibly fondly, and he has given me my best Spurs supporting memories to date.

That’s it for me. I moved on from him months ago.

Replies in bold within your...
Your spinning the last bit aren’t you?
Sessegnon was injured all summer so it made no difference when we signed him
And Lo Celso was made more complicated by him being away with his country and then having extended leave... and of course the position the had agreed with PSG which needed engineering (hence the loan)

Your spinning the last bit aren’t you?
Sessegnon was injured all summer so it made no difference when we signed him
And Lo Celso was made more complicated by him being away with his country and then having extended leave... and of course the position the had agreed with PSG which needed engineering (hence the loan)
Personally I’m not really bothered by the timing of those two signings. It was unfortunate that the manager didn’t get any real time to work with those players though with Sessegnon and Lo Celso’s injuries and even Ndombele having a bit of a niggle.

I was thinking about Ndombele last night (oo’er) and it’s strange as he started really well for us. Clearly having ability on the ball and incredible vision. I wondered whether it was Norwich away where it turned, as it seemed to me that their players clearly had instruction to stop him by any means. Up until, and including that game Ndombele seemed to want to get on the ball. Since then though it looks to me like he has been hiding.

Personally I’m not really bothered by the timing of those two signings. It was unfortunate that the manager didn’t get any real time to work with those players though with Sessegnon and Lo Celso’s injuries and even Ndombele having a bit of a niggle.

I was thinking about Ndombele last night (oo’er) and it’s strange as he started really well for us. Clearly having ability on the ball and incredible vision. I wondered whether it was Norwich away where it turned, as it seemed to me that their players clearly had instruction to stop him by any means. Up until, and including that game Ndombele seemed to want to get on the ball. Since then though it looks to me like he has been hiding.

There were a few games where he was kicked... the issue is that teams target the better player and he would need get used to that. He was given a real kicking day though

Indeed, and do you think that was the right decision? Would Harry Kane still be here earning £60k a week for example?

I don’t think our decisions on transfer and wage budgets were wrong. Once the stadium went way over budget, Levy had to get the money from somewhere, as I don’t think the club could’ve carried £1 billion + of debt. Diverting transfer funds and wage budget to the stadium fund is completely expected.

My only point is that considering that wage and transfer budget, Poch over achieved and did so by quite a significant margin. I fail to see how anyone cannot agree with that.
When NDombele played so well against Barca and City he was getting it deeper but he also had full backs either side of him to play too and a number 10 in front. Fernandinho was too Dele to foul him and Barca had no one to do that either

Replies in bold within your...

I am ignoring your foam flecked rant and am contemptuous about it’s content.

The fact you don’t think Levy supported Poch is simply laughable. Not only did he allow him to spend over £400m on 27 players, possibly even more importantly, he resisted all temptation to sell any of the mega stars that were in full bloom.

Thus Poch was certainly NOT undermined by Levy - who didn’t sell Kane, Dele, Eriksen, Son, Dier, Rose etc for whom we undoubtedly had offers ( Mourinho himself admitted he tried to buy some of them). Unlike selling for example selling Bale, Berbs, Keano etc and undermining those managers, Levy gave the Poch players wanted extended contracts and hefty pay rises.
But you seemingly choose to conveniently ignore this fact.

Hopefully a decent sports psychologist can help Ndombele out, so he doesn’t go the way of Paulinho post-Adams!

The fact you don’t think Levy supported Poch is simply laughable. Not only did he allow him to spend over £400m on 27 players, possibly even more importantly, he resisted all temptation to sell any of the mega stars that were in full bloom.

Thus Poch was certainly NOT undermined by Levy - who didn’t sell Kane, Dele, Eriksen, Son, Dier, Rose etc for whom we undoubtedly had offers ( Mourinho himself admitted he tried to buy some of them). Unlike selling for example selling Bale, Berbs, Keano etc and undermining those managers, Levy gave the Poch players wanted extended contracts and hefty pay rises.

You're ignoring it because you have nothing to say. Nothing "foamy" about my friend. I asked what you were talking about and you threw back some patronizing comment about "comprehension". If that attitude works without reaction in other places good for you; in the world I inhabit, it requires either ignoring for it's fecklessness or a response for the same reason.I chose the latter, much against sensible or mature judgement. But there we are (by the way< I am smiling not "foaming" ;))...

However, talk about "comprehension" or lack thereof :D.
You stated that Pochettino "failed to adjust his vision" and THAT was the point I was replying too.
As for "not selling", why is it you don't remember the debates whereby Poch was in favor of cashing in on a couple of the 'big boys" who would not renew contracts, yet Levy demanded top top dollar for them rendering their sales impossible and reinvestment impossible too? And why can you not understand that I am not even blaming Levy for that per se, I clearly state that I understand it is his way of working - protect assets on the book. But he needed to adjust his sights and accept where Pochettino had taken us on the pitch and react accordingly. Don't tell me I have rehash what that would've looked like.

Finally, your last sentence says it all. "Conveniently ignore" what "fact?" Of course he didn't sell those players at that time, he is not a stupid man, and with the club being temporarily homeless yet still producing on the pitch and outrageously over-achieving product, you're damn right he got some extensions and pay rises done (not without some pushing I might add).

But equally, he most certainly did NOT see all his big boys given extended contracts and hefty pay rises. Why do you suppose Eriksen fell out of love with the club having said that if Barca didn't come in he would be happy to stay (two years ago, perhaps that wasn't public but that was the sentiment)? And perhaps Levy was right not to agree to a 2-300,000 grand a week salary. But if he was right, and if it was accepted the player would go, then selling him for an amount which Poch could've invested would've shown a huge "vision adjustment"!!!!

I applaud Daniel Levy for everything he has done for us. It is a lot. But for me, the fact remains that he only knows one way to deal and go about business. If you want to continue blaming one man, go ahead, I will continue showing where you're wrong.

Indeed, for us perhaps not, but he had asked for new signings to be in place at start of pre-season for several seasons. Perhaps he thought this would finally be the season it would happen given we were in the stadium finally, had just reached the CL Final and made around 140 million quid into the bargain. He must've had his reasons?

I'm sure he's shell-shocked.
He signed for Pochettino and was just getting going.
It all got pulled from under him, and I don't think he's a "leader" in the sense that someone like Dier is. Not only that, his best mate at the club was injured, thus robbing him of a companion on and off the pitch. I think the would've been factors.
I hope Mourinho puts an arm around the shoulder rather than going for the Pogba/Rashford treatment, as I think that will end in failure.

Backing your manager is going out and getting his first choice targets though, especially if they are attainable, just like Liverpool’s owners have done with Klopp.
Somebody else (Dubai perhaps?) made a post of a bunch of Poch’s first choice targets that Levy didn’t deliver. Not a single one was at an elite, or even a second level, club. All of those players were attainable for Spurs and none (except Zaha) had massive transfer fees.

You're ignoring it because you have nothing to say. Nothing "foamy" about my friend. I asked what you were talking about and you threw back some patronizing comment about "comprehension". If that attitude works without reaction in other places good for you; in the world I inhabit, it requires either ignoring for it's fecklessness or a response for the same reason.I chose the latter, much against sensible or mature judgement. But there we are (by the way< I am smiling not "foaming" ;))...

However, talk about "comprehension" or lack thereof :D.
You stated that Pochettino "failed to adjust his vision" and THAT was the point I was replying too.
As for "not selling", why is it you don't remember the debates whereby Poch was in favor of cashing in on a couple of the 'big boys" who would not renew contracts, yet Levy demanded top top dollar for them rendering their sales impossible and reinvestment impossible too? And why can you not understand that I am not even blaming Levy for that per se, I clearly state that I understand it is his way of working - protect assets on the book. But he needed to adjust his sights and accept where Pochettino had taken us on the pitch and react accordingly. Don't tell me I have rehash what that would've looked like.

Finally, your last sentence says it all. "Conveniently ignore" what "fact?" Of course he didn't sell those players at that time, he is not a stupid man, and with the club being temporarily homeless yet still producing on the pitch and outrageously over-achieving product, you're damn right he got some extensions and pay rises done (not without some pushing I might add).

But equally, he most certainly did NOT see all his big boys given extended contracts and hefty pay rises. Why do you suppose Eriksen fell out of love with the club having said that if Barca didn't come in he would be happy to stay (two years ago, perhaps that wasn't public but that was the sentiment)? And perhaps Levy was right not to agree to a 2-300,000 grand a week salary. But if he was right, and if it was accepted the player would go, then selling him for an amount which Poch could've invested would've shown a huge "vision adjustment"!!!!

I applaud Daniel Levy for everything he has done for us. It is a lot. But for me, the fact remains that he only knows one way to deal and go about business. If you want to continue blaming one man, go ahead, I will continue showing where you're wrong.
Who did Poch advocate selling?
Everyone thought Toby was done for a bargain £25 yet no one wanted him which was odd
Maybe other clubs see our players and think their not winners we don’t want them

Who did Poch advocate selling?
Everyone thought Toby was done for a bargain £25 yet no one wanted him which was odd
Maybe other clubs see our players and think their not winners we don’t want them
Probably just don't want to have their pants pulled down by Levy.

Backing your manager is going out and getting his first choice targets though, especially if they are attainable, just like Liverpool’s owners have done with Klopp.
Somebody else (Dubai perhaps?) made a post of a bunch of Poch’s first choice targets that Levy didn’t deliver. Not a single one was at an elite, or even a second level, club. All of those players were attainable for Spurs and none (except Zaha) had massive transfer fees.

Pochs supposed first choice targets chose other clubs. Mane and Winjalden chose Liverpool over us. Reportedly due to the higher wages on offer. Similarly Fernandes and Wan Bisaka chose Man U for the same reasons. I know we are biased, but even given a level playing field, I suspect if we were players we too would opt for one of these clubs over Spurs. Maguire wanted guaranteed playing time which with Toby, Verts and Sanchez here, he certainly wasn’t going to get in the short term. Maddison reportedly doesn’t like Spurs and presumably felt Eriksen was blocking his path here. Zaha was ridiculously overpriced and his stats are poor. Anyone else?

The only one that Levy can realistically be held accountable for is Grealish. He was trying to negotiate a keen price taking into account Villa’s straightened circumstances and was apparently on the verge of having this accepted, when Villa was suddenly taken over and the new owners blocked the transfer. With the benefit of hindsight, he could have secured the transfer earlier, but who could have foreseen what was to take place?

Pochs supposed first choice targets chose other clubs. Mane and Winjalden chose Liverpool over us. Reportedly due to the higher wages on offer. Similarly Fernandes and Wan Bisaka chose Man U for the same reasons. I know we are biased, but even given a level playing field, I suspect if we were players we too would opt for one of these clubs over Spurs. Maguire wanted guaranteed playing time which with Toby, Verts and Sanchez here, he certainly wasn’t going to get in the short term. Maddison reportedly doesn’t like Spurs and presumably felt Eriksen was blocking his path here. Zaha was ridiculously overpriced and his stats are poor. Anyone else?

The only one that Levy can realistically be held accountable for is Grealish. He was trying to negotiate a keen price taking into account Villa’s straightened circumstances and was apparently on the verge of having this accepted, when Villa was suddenly taken over and the new owners blocked the transfer. With the benefit of hindsight, he could have secured the transfer earlier, but who could have foreseen what was to take place?
Not sure we bid on Maddison

Back