• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

It is obviously still early days for Poch - or maybe not if we lose our next 3 league games - but I am not happy with the team like many on here..

Football is a game of passion, excitement and unpredictability... It is not a game of chess.

So, when Lamela scored his wonder goal recently how did our manager respond? He didn't..... That concerns me because if you can't celebrate a moment like that, then football cannot be bringing you much happiness and that must come across to the players. I am not saying I want Lamela to try that away at Chelscum but we do lack passion and such apparent indifference from the manager cannot help.

Shoot me now, but I liked Sherwood. What he said after the 4 - 0 loss at Chelscum was correct - "most of our players would have forgotten about the game by the time they get on the coach". And he got nearly 2 points from every premiership game.

It is obviously still early days for Poch - or maybe not if we lose our next 3 league games - but I am not happy with the team like many on here..

Football is a game of passion, excitement and unpredictability... It is not a game of chess.

So, when Lamela scored his wonder goal recently how did our manager respond? He didn't..... That concerns me because if you can't celebrate a moment like that, then football cannot be bringing you much happiness and that must come across to the players. I am not saying I want Lamela to try that away at Chelscum but we do lack passion and such apparent indifference from the manager cannot help.

Shoot me now, but I liked Sherwood. What he said after the 4 - 0 loss at Chelscum was correct - "most of our players would have forgotten about the game by the time they get on the coach". And he got nearly 2 points from every premiership game.

Hi Jamie :hello:

Mind if I have a go on Louise?

I liked Sherwood as well. And apart from the Liverpool game (which was inexplicable) his off the field 'antics' were nowhere near as bad as advertised.

Rodgers wasn't an instant hit at Pool by any stretch - wasn't until the Jan window that their football improved and he and them were widely mocked for the best part of his first season.

The puchases of Countinhpo and Sturridge were no doubt the spring board.

Makes you wonder what players could help Poch in the same way.

I liked Sherwood as well. And apart from the Liverpool game (which was inexplicable) his off the field 'antics' were nowhere near as bad as advertised.

Me too, I enjoyed him telling it as it is. But you can only whisper that on here, apparently criticising players in the media is forbidden - if players really are that fragile then they shouldnt be playing for our club, should be wanting to prove the manager wrong. If he did mismanage the squad, then why on earth did he pick up so many points with what has now been concluded since Poch took over to be at best an average squad? Just luck I suppose....

Just wanted to say guys, that over the past couple of pages of this thread in particular your posts have been logical, sensible and fair; I agree with virtually all of what you have both said.

Everyone knew Poch was a manager with a philosophy and a system. He is like AVB in that manner and whether you like it or not that is the reality of the situation right now. How well suited our squad and players are to his philsophy and system is a very, very pertinent one which people don't really seem to take into account. (incidentally the answer in my view is - probably - not very well suited).

Then, add the fact that we have an unbalanced squad shorn of top players, and players who are made of the right mentality and leadership stuff.

Next, times it by all the other various and myriad contextual factors that apply to Tottenham Hotspur - some of which as follows: Spurs is a big club, which has high pressure and expectation despite a recent history of constant near misses or relative failure; Spurs is a club which has good players but not TOP PLAYERS; Spurs is a club which plays in a top and very competitive league and which has a large and demanding fanbase; Spurs is a club which fights towards the top of the table against sides with greater resources but with a similar (ish) level of expectation.

To me, these things jar. That is, a new manager such as Pochettino is fighting an uphill battle from the start. I don't understand how some fans can't see that this jarring is GOING to cause bumps in the road. I don't understand how fans have to massively overreact when these bumps are hit.

This is what this all is - a big overraction. Let's look at the league campaign so far... we've had a mix. Great: QPR. Good, or decent, with areas for improvement: Sunderland, Southampton, the S**m. Mixed bag with positives and negatives: Emirates Marketing Project, Villa, Saudi Sportswashing Machine. Terrible... West Brom & Stoke (no questions asked, no debate, we were SHOCKING in these last two matches).

Cup form has done the business: points over style in Europe (which, btw, is generally the same as EVERY SINGLE Europa league group stages) and good win against lower league in the LC.

And points-wise, this is a tight league this year, we are still right in the mix and not in a Ramos style situation. We are not playing like a relegation team overall, we have played like that for two matches.

Total games played: 11 league matches with 5/6 cup matches thrown in. It's not even December and we have a new manager who is having to deal with massively high expectations from fans, unbalanced squad not suited to his system, pressure from all areas. And our 'crisis' looks like: several hard games out the way already and midtable, definitely not relegation material, not out of any cups, not even at Christmas yet. I've even seen a manager able to bend his philosophy and be pragmatic to take advantage of the opposition (S**m away).

I don't understand what people EXPECT. Miracle-working clearly. Van Gaal is one of if not the most experienced managers around and it's not all plain sailing at Man U is it! After hundreds of millions spent. Yes they have hit the 'adapation climb' towards his methods slightly quicker than us (or it seems there are slightly more consistent signs of it) - but it's not like they are miles ahead of us in the league is it?

Poch has made mistakes. I don't agree with some of his decisions. In a couple of games we've looked clueless. But this is early doors. We don't have the squad and team of the teams above us who can adapt seamlessly. We don't even have any leaders who can help our unsuited squad try and make that transition either. Poch has had one transfer window to change a few players around. But the wider job - of reshaping the squad, of getting leaders in, of changing the mentality - will take him or any manager longer than that.

That is what I see... I see a seriously difficult job at Spurs. I think we need to wake up to this. I also think that at some point our whole managerial merry-go-round has to stop. We have to put faith in a man to change it around - or at least give him the best possible shot at doing that. And I simply don't agree that at THIS STAGE IN THE SEASON what has happened so far is even close to being the 2 points from 8 points level hysteria that is engulfing a seemingly increasingly large proportion of Spurs fans. I call it hysteria and this is what I am seeing - even in this very thread!

Football is short term these days, in the majority of cases, fact. This timeframe we are talking about now (not even December) is just ludicrous.
Poch needs a minimum of 3 transfer windows and a timeframe of well into full season TWO before a serious analysis can be conducted IMHO. if there are no strong and consistent signs of consistency and improvement at this stage, fair enough.

But until that point, and unless we get Stokes/WBAs every other weeks, we have to back the guy in charge.

The number of Spurs fans who: (usually) didn't want Poch in the summer, say they will give him a chance and some time and show some patience, then proceed to effectively turn on him him within a matter of months, saddens me a lot. (And incidentally some of these Spurs fans are my best mates, who I am having the same debates with in person!). I don't understand the lack of patience.

I don't understand the lack of patience.

I think it's because we have had a taste of what it could be like with our foray's into the CL and successive high placement in the EPL. That makes it even more frustrating watching us seemingly slip back into mid-table obscurity at a time when we could have been challenging for regular Champions League places if the board had been more patient with the manager(s) and more astute with the Bale funds

I think it's because we have had a taste of what it could be like with our foray's into the CL and successive high placement in the EPL. That makes it even more frustrating watching us seemingly slip back into mid-table obscurity at a time when we could have been challenging for regular Champions League places if the board had been more patient with the manager(s) and more astute with the Bale funds

But all teams go through cycles, usually on a 4-5 year timespan.

We had our 2004-8 team, our 2008-13 team, and now we are starting to build Poch's team.

It seems odd to me that people can't recognise this. In business it's product lifecycles. And what happened was that we didn't invest enough c.2011 in our next product, so we are now in a bit of a dip while we play catch-up.

I think it's more a cultural thing - people are just used to instant gratification in all aspects of their lives and can't cope when it's not possible.

its not frustration with Poch, its frustration for Poch, if he doesn't get it right pretty quickly Levy will sack him and we start the whole sorry mess again with another poor chump expected to make a silk purse from a sows ear

What chance a player revolt was AVB's undoing and a similar one is already underway? Things look the same when avb was here. Admittedly a wild hunch just based on the eerily similar performances and players body language.

I don't sense any kind of 'player revolt' or dissatisfaction with Poch (or AVB for that matter), it feels much more like a collective sense of confusion and lack of identity.

Also considering the short amount of time the players have had together I don't think the players are really aware of each others strengths and weaknesses yet. We are playing as a team of individuals as opposed to a collective unit.

For these reasons I really want Poch to go back to basics, simplify everything, make us more solid and build from there.

I don't sense any kind of 'player revolt' or dissatisfaction with Poch (or AVB for that matter), it feels much more like a collective sense of confusion and lack of identity.

Also considering the short amount of time the players have had together I don't think the players are really aware of each others strengths and weaknesses yet. We are playing as a team of individuals as opposed to a collective unit.

For these reasons I really want Poch to go back to basics, simplify everything, make us more solid and build from there.

Having the WC interfere with pre-season, about 4 international breaks, and a mid-week game almost every week, haven't helped this.

Back