• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

"Tottenham is an inspiration for the rest of teams in Premier League or in England because with less in everything you can fight. The most important is that culture, that philosophy we create all together in the club in the last five years. Maybe in the end we can get or not [get] a trophy but we are very close. We are so competitive with less we are doing a lot more than our rivals.

"I think we proved a different way to operate – we achieved the final of Champions League fighting with big clubs."

Never ceases to amaze me how little credit we get for what we have done - and I mean before the CL final as well.

And, it absolutely boggles my mind that other clubs dont copy our play book.

If I were to inherit a mid/lower table side from my long lost uncle, Watford, Burnley, Bournemouth... first thing Id to is meet with Levy to pick his brains and try and copy the process Spurs have followed the last 10 or so years.

Its proven, it works.

So why the hell do we not see smaller clubs trying to emulate it?!

Speaking ahead of Monday's flight to Munich for the Audi Cup, in which Spurs face Real Madrid, and Bayern Munich or Feberbahce inside 24 hours, Pochettino opened up on his search for answers to last month's defeat during one of the toughest summers of his life.

"It was very bad," said the Argentine. "I compare with summer 2002, when we drew with Sweden and were beaten by England in the group stage at World Cup, within one week. As a player and as a manager both are the worst moments in my career.

"We had the most unbelievable three weeks to prepare before the Final. [We were] massively disappointed in the way we lost. Then you need to go home. I took a train from Madrid to Barcelona the day after. I spent 10 days in my home and didn’t want to go out. Yes, it was tough because you nearly touched the glory.

"All the effort we made to get to the final was unbelievable but you want to win and when you don’t it's massive because you know how tough it is to get there again next season, to start to find the energy to try to win – that is why it is difficult to recover."

"I talked to Jesus [Perez, assistant manager] every day to try to find the reason," Pochettino continued. "Always you try to analyse but in the end it’s small details that make the difference. I thought we were better than Liverpool. It wasn’t a great final.

"My family tried to lift me but they were in the same situation as me. After a few days, I tried to go to play golf [at the driving range]. I was focused with my son to try and [hit] the ball perfectly but it was impossible. Then I start to move on.

"The people that appreciated our job also helped. In Spain, English fans in restaurants in Madrid, also in Ibiza, people from Liverpool, people from Tottenham, different football people said, ‘Oh fantastic Tottenham’. That started to build happiness again because people recognised our job was fantastic."

Spurs reached a maiden European Cup final despite making no signings for the prior two transfer windows and spending a fraction on the first-team in comparison to the likes of Emirates Marketing Project, who they beat in the quarter-final.

Liverpool splashed over £100million on new signings after their defeat in the 2018 Final and it was suggested during last week's trip to Asia that the Merseyside club should act as an inspiration to Spurs. Pochettino rejected that notion and said Spurs have proved that spending big was not the only route to success.

"When you analyse from 2014, when we arrived at Tottenham, the net investment of all the teams," he said. "It’s not that City [started spending] when Guardiola arrived, or Liverpool when Klopp arrived, or Chelsea when Conte or Sarri arrived, or Manchester United when Mourinho or now Solskjaer arrived.

"It’s in their history – in the last 10 years – all the money they were spending to arrive here. For us, we are far away from that. It’s not fair to compare and say Liverpool is going to be an inspiration for us. No! It’s the opposite.

"Tottenham is an inspiration for the rest of teams in Premier League or in England because with less in everything you can fight. The most important is that culture, that philosophy we create all together in the club in the last five years. Maybe in the end we can get or not [get] a trophy but we are very close. We are so competitive with less we are doing a lot more than our rivals.

"I think we proved a different way to operate – we achieved the final of Champions League fighting with big clubs."

Harry Kane has said he may never be able to fully get over the defeat but Pochettino insisted he had now moved on and said it was not hard to lift his players at the start of pre-season, in part because Spurs have a brand new kit.

"When you start a new season [it is a] new kit, new everything. It's good because it changes. When you see a picture from the past it always goes quick. Now all is new, new colour and of course new motivation.

"The good thing is that winners move on quickly. Maybe 10 days like me, or 15. When it’s holidays it’s worse because it’s like every day you are thinking the same but when you start to rain and run you move on and put the bad things in the past.

"We are a winner. We are so competitive. In your mind maybe you feel lack of energy but the fight is always there," he added. "The moment you move on the fire inside starts to appear again.

"We love to compete and to win and now the final is in the past. I think my motivation is always high. I am professional, we love our job. I think it’s a big responsibility with a club that has confidence and trusts in you. Of course I try to fight a lot for our fans and club."

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...ery-but-insists-winners-move-on-a4199971.html

@DeanoAustin these are the type of comments from Loch that I choose to pay attention to

Never ceases to amaze me how little credit we get for what we have done - and I mean before the CL final as well.

Lack of patience, there is a fast track that City and co have tried and worked and people want that route because you see the stars and you taste the glory and its quick. It may be feast or famine but its what people want.

I don't agree with that route and as we see Uefa get stricter as they are on FFP and the way football will go, our cream will rise further and faster, trust me

Lack of patience, there is a fast track that City and co have tried and worked and people want that route because you see the stars and you taste the glory and its quick. It may be feast or famine but its what people want.

I don't agree with that route and as we see Uefa get stricter as they are on FFP and the way football will go, our cream will rise further and faster, trust me

Thats what I dont understand. No lower level team has been so short termist and succeeded, IMO.

Setting out a proper - and sustainable - strategy seems like the most obvious thing to do. And with Spurs as an example the blueprint to follow is already written. Its just ridiculous that more clubs arent following suit.

Though I do agree. When reality really does bite we will be laughing.

Speaking ahead of Monday's flight to Munich for the Audi Cup, in which Spurs face Real Madrid, and Bayern Munich or Feberbahce inside 24 hours, Pochettino opened up on his search for answers to last month's defeat during one of the toughest summers of his life.

"It was very bad," said the Argentine. "I compare with summer 2002, when we drew with Sweden and were beaten by England in the group stage at World Cup, within one week. As a player and as a manager both are the worst moments in my career.

"We had the most unbelievable three weeks to prepare before the Final. [We were] massively disappointed in the way we lost. Then you need to go home. I took a train from Madrid to Barcelona the day after. I spent 10 days in my home and didn’t want to go out. Yes, it was tough because you nearly touched the glory.

"All the effort we made to get to the final was unbelievable but you want to win and when you don’t it's massive because you know how tough it is to get there again next season, to start to find the energy to try to win – that is why it is difficult to recover."

"I talked to Jesus [Perez, assistant manager] every day to try to find the reason," Pochettino continued. "Always you try to analyse but in the end it’s small details that make the difference. I thought we were better than Liverpool. It wasn’t a great final.

"My family tried to lift me but they were in the same situation as me. After a few days, I tried to go to play golf [at the driving range]. I was focused with my son to try and [hit] the ball perfectly but it was impossible. Then I start to move on.

"The people that appreciated our job also helped. In Spain, English fans in restaurants in Madrid, also in Ibiza, people from Liverpool, people from Tottenham, different football people said, ‘Oh fantastic Tottenham’. That started to build happiness again because people recognised our job was fantastic."

Spurs reached a maiden European Cup final despite making no signings for the prior two transfer windows and spending a fraction on the first-team in comparison to the likes of Emirates Marketing Project, who they beat in the quarter-final.

Liverpool splashed over £100million on new signings after their defeat in the 2018 Final and it was suggested during last week's trip to Asia that the Merseyside club should act as an inspiration to Spurs. Pochettino rejected that notion and said Spurs have proved that spending big was not the only route to success.

"When you analyse from 2014, when we arrived at Tottenham, the net investment of all the teams," he said. "It’s not that City [started spending] when Guardiola arrived, or Liverpool when Klopp arrived, or Chelsea when Conte or Sarri arrived, or Manchester United when Mourinho or now Solskjaer arrived.

"It’s in their history – in the last 10 years – all the money they were spending to arrive here. For us, we are far away from that. It’s not fair to compare and say Liverpool is going to be an inspiration for us. No! It’s the opposite.

Harry Kane has said he may never be able to fully get over the defeat but Pochettino insisted he had now moved on and said it was not hard to lift his players at the start of pre-season, in part because Spurs have a brand new kit.

"When you start a new season [it is a] new kit, new everything. It's good because it changes. When you see a picture from the past it always goes quick. Now all is new, new colour and of course new motivation.

"The good thing is that winners move on quickly. Maybe 10 days like me, or 15. When it’s holidays it’s worse because it’s like every day you are thinking the same but when you start to rain and run you move on and put the bad things in the past.

"We are a winner. We are so competitive. In your mind maybe you feel lack of energy but the fight is always there," he added. "The moment you move on the fire inside starts to appear again.

"We love to compete and to win and now the final is in the past. I think my motivation is always high. I am professional, we love our job. I think it’s a big responsibility with a club that has confidence and trusts in you. Of course I try to fight a lot for our fans and club."

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...ery-but-insists-winners-move-on-a4199971.html

I wonder how many of our fans will find fault with anything written there.

Thats what I dont understand. No lower level team has been so short termist and succeeded, IMO.

Setting out a proper - and sustainable - strategy seems like the most obvious thing to do. And with Spurs as an example the blueprint to follow is already written. Its just ridiculous that more clubs arent following suit.

When you look at it, I look at it the same way but there is never a Rhyme or Reason to it.

Like when I look at owners and the success in which they run their own companies and then look at how they run their football clubs there is some kind of VORTEX, its insane really, bar a few many owners run their football clubs the polar opposite to their company, maybe knowing there is less come back on them with the club as there is with their own personal wealth/company.

We run Spurs the way I personally believe a football club should be run, we seems to take the biggest wrap for it from so called experts who have seen clubs run to the ground yet still champion the idea of spending beyond their means whilst slagging a club like Spurs.

Footballs full of this, its insane

It is surprising but it took Levy 14-15 years to really get us properly on the ladder he wanted to get us on and he’s an incredible businessman. That’s a huge investment of time for anyone and business people are sometimes as impatient as fans. Levy also lucked out a bit on Poch. But you’re right, if you’re not going to invest like City or Chelsea have done, I don’t understand why you wouldn’t run your club like Levy runs ours.

Why would you cherry pick what you pay attention to?

Because I can.

Also because it is obvious to me that not everything Poch says should be taken literally. But his comments above seem real.

I do not know about you but I do not believe everything I read in the media, but sometimes it is the truth

Because I can.

Also because it is obvious to me that not everything Poch says should be taken literally. But his comments above seem real.

I do not know about you but I do not believe everything I read in the media, but sometimes it is the truth

I don’t believe everything I read but where someone is quoted I’ll give it a bit more credibility. If you just pay attention to the bits you like, you may be only getting half a picture. Sadly, no more than me or anyone else other than Poch, you’re really in no position to decide what quotes of his are genuine and what ones aren’t.

When you look at it, I look at it the same way but there is never a Rhyme or Reason to it.

Like when I look at owners and the success in which they run their own companies and then look at how they run their football clubs there is some kind of VORTEX, its insane really, bar a few many owners run their football clubs the polar opposite to their company, maybe knowing there is less come back on them with the club as there is with their own personal wealth/company.

We run Spurs the way I personally believe a football club should be run, we seems to take the biggest wrap for it from so called experts who have seen clubs run to the ground yet still champion the idea of spending beyond their means whilst slagging a club like Spurs.

Footballs full of this, its insane

I tend to ignore idiots in the press, even those involved in the game demonstrate a distinct lack of understanding/reason.

I watched the Netflix documentary on Sunderland the other day. They have a big stadium, one club city, had PL status, and Pl money of course - if they really wanted to grow they should have looked at us. Start buying young talent, picking up the best the Championship has to offer. Start really investing in the academy (though it seems theirs is ok). Build up from there, they had the foundations.

Instead they threw good money after bad buying mercenary players for mercenary managers.

They started their Championship season with Jason Steele in goal. A player they had just bought from Blackburn having lost their two keepers over the summer. Then after the season starts they bring in a Dutch (I think) keeper on a free.

They had just appointed Simon Grayson (more stupidity) and needed to get in (at least) a defender, winger, midfielder and striker - just to fill the squad. Thats not even looking for improvements.

It is a ludicrous way to start a season, absolutely bonkers.

Ironically it seems now that they have gone down to league 1 they are finally running in a more sustainable manner. They were taken over at the end of the Champ season, I dont know enough of the new guy to judge his sense, but the constraints of being in the 3rd tier dictate a certain level of strategy just to survive....

It is surprising but it took Levy 14-15 years to really get us properly on the ladder he wanted to get us on and he’s an incredible businessman. That’s a huge investment of time for anyone and business people are sometimes as impatient as fans. Levy also lucked out a bit on Poch. But you’re right, if you’re not going to invest like City or Chelsea have done, I don’t understand why you wouldn’t run your club like Levy runs ours.

While Levy has clearly been in this for the long haul - and his effort over time has paid off - I cant help feeling even in the short term its the best way to go (aside from oligarch like spending).

All through that 15ish years we have stepped on and on. Secure Premiership team, pushing for europe, EUROPA football, improved cup performances, CL qualification (one off), sustained top 4 challenge, before eventually breaking into the big boys club.

At every point along the way we were a better, more valuable, more respected team. Even if Levy were just in it as an investment - he could have sold at profit many times through that timeline following his building strategy.

@nayimfromthehalfwayline

It's short termism for most owners of clubs due to the financial differentials of the PL and the Championship..

We've not had one of those seasons in years, where we're concerning ourselves with a 40 point pre season target, where we're looking over our shoulders fearing the dreaded drop with only seven or eight games remaining.. These experiences change and you could say, cloud one's thinking...

If I were to inherit a mid/lower table side from my long lost uncle, Watford, Burnley, Bournemouth... first thing Id to is meet with Levy to pick his brains and try and copy the process Spurs have followed the last 10 or so years.

Its proven, it works.

Because it takes 20 years and is still really hard

You have found some fault in the latest writings????

Just yanking your chain.

No it’s nice to read and be able to relate to that terrible pain we all shared of coming so close to achieving something so beautiful but not quite getting over the line.

That’s as much as I should probably say, let’s hope the disappointments at the end of an emotional season can give our manager and squad an insatiable appetite to go one better.

Just yanking your chain.

No it’s nice to read and be able to relate to that terrible pain we all shared of coming so close to achieving something so beautiful but not quite getting over the line.

That’s as much as I should probably say, let’s hope the disappointments at the end of an emotional season can give our manager and squad an insatiable appetite to go one better.

You know it makes sense :)

You know it makes sense :)

Trying quite hard to be positive despite misgivings and not to constantly annoy your good self and others with my ventings...

Yes I meant that bit highlighted in bold, of course a great fear of mine is that Poch and our squad are mentally shot, and a hangover carries on into the early stage of this season.

Let’s hope not, in a way I appreciate his honesty, the dark side of me that you perhaps don’t appreciate would rather he converted his disappointment into actions this season, again I can’t think of a Ferguson or Mou coming out with comments like that, though I do understand his heart on his sleeve character, is something that clearly endears him to so many of our fans.

:)

@nayimfromthehalfwayline

It's short termism for most owners of clubs due to the financial differentials of the PL and the Championship..

We've not had one of those seasons in years, where we're concerning ourselves with a 40 point pre season target, where we're looking over our shoulders fearing the dreaded drop with only seven or eight games remaining.. These experiences change and you could say, cloud one's thinking...

We've not had one of those seasons.... why?

Because we set about an organic and sustainable strategy to grow the club. And have, thanks to not having one of those seasons since, proven it works!

Back