• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I guess from your aggressive reaction and the tone of your post I hit a nerve. I am away at the moment and it has lead me to think with a clarity I sometimes lack at home.

I think the genius of me and the reason I am superior to you and all other beings is that I do not care for Poch, I dont care for Kane either. Because I actually can not really see them, I dont see faces you see. Dont know if you have ever seen the episode of black mirror white christmas but it is a bit like that. It is like I have been blocked and everyone's faces have been blocked.

Now while you and the others are sucking off your boyfriends pretending it is Poch just because he has a cool accent and a vineyard in Argentina, and you hated Sherwood because he was a whinny voiced chav with crap choice in outwear clothing. I like Poch because he is the best manager in my time supporting Spurs and hated Sherwood because he was tactically inept.

But that is just about how I am superior to all of you. Enough about this, lets move onto the facts. He asks for total commitment but fails to show it himself, he is the leader in chief but often acts not so.

I turn a blind eye to this because he is producing results that I like, we all do this in our everyday lives with people who have worked for us or political parties we support. It is quite natural, but lets not hero worship him and be blind to his faults, if you really need to hero worship someone I suggest you choose me, I am far more deserving as I am never wrong about any subject.
Seems extremely reasonable and well balanced.

Na, I don't want it all. If I did, I'd be demanding trophies. But this is something he can easily control and he's saying some pretty dumb stuff. There's no need for it. This isn't a reflection on the job he's doing, on the man he is or any of that. But some of the brick has just been unnecessary. The apologising yesterday really grated on me. Could you imagine Fergie, Pep, Mourinho apologising for how their team tackled? Wouldn't happen in a million years.
I couldn't give a monkeys what crap he comes out with to the fudging media. It's all fluff, it doesn't matter. Tomorrow's arsewipe and all that.

He's just taken us to the CL final and the chance of another crack at it this season. That's all I need to know - thank you very much.

So I repeat, for your own sake fella, let it go. Otherwise you'll continue to suffer needlessly.

A strange and rather unnecessary impolite reply to someone offering balanced views on our manager.

I didn’t read it as ‘wanting it all’

I guess it’s just easier to respond in that way rather than engage and calmly disprove his thoughts as incorrect.
Sounds like you too need to let it go!

I couldn't give a monkeys what crap he comes out with to the fudging media. It's all fluff, it doesn't matter. Tomorrow's arsewipe and all that.

He's just taken us to the CL final and the chance of another crack at it this season. That's all I need to know - thank you very much.

So I repeat, for your own sake fella, let it go. Otherwise you'll continue to suffer needlessly.

Agreed on the job he’s done. In fact, I couldn’t agree more.

But if I’m Sissoko and I’m listening to my manager apologise on my behalf for leaving a bit on someone, particularly when Ole didn’t complain and one of their players went over the ball on Kane, I’d be scratching my head a bit.

The image he’s projecting is not good which is annoying as prior to this season he’s been excellent with the media. Hopefully it’s pre season boredom or something.

Sounds like you too need to let it go!

Why does it bother you that others get irritated by stuff like that? I actually agree with your main point that I don’t care what Poch says for the most part, I’m more concerned with our transfer dealings over the next two weeks and the overall results of the team looking forward but if people want to share their opinion about Poch’s media appearances then so what? How does them mildly venting impact your life?

Agreed on the job he’s done. In fact, I couldn’t agree more.

But if I’m Sissoko and I’m listening to my manager apologise on my behalf for leaving a bit on someone, particularly when Ole didn’t complain and one of their players went over the ball on Kane, I’d be scratching my head a bit.

The image he’s projecting is not good which is annoying as prior to this season he’s been excellent with the media. Hopefully it’s pre season boredom or something.
I suppose what matters is what he says in private, Say to the team “I love that sort of challenge to the team but I’m going to say this to the media because that will make referees think we are not overly aggressive.”

But yeah I didn’t understand the reasoning on that one myself. The CL statement wasn’t massively different to what I’d said or heard from fans, if we win this now how can we possibly top it, certainly in term of the achievement vs original expectations.

He has his own style, he’s not as one eyed and entitled as a Fergie, not the happy go lucky persona of Klopp or the now Morose blame everyone Mou. He’s probably too engaging and too honest with the media, perhaps getting a little tetchy about the repeated scrutiny of what pound for pound has been the most consistent Pem tenure of any top 10 club budget wise. He’s still one of the most dignified of all of the top managers imo.

I suppose what matters is what he says in private, Say to the team “I love that sort of challenge to the team but I’m going to say this to the media because that will make referees think we are not overly aggressive.”

But yeah I didn’t understand the reasoning on that one myself. The CL statement wasn’t massively different to what I’d said or heard from fans, if we win this now how can we possibly top it, certainly in term of the achievement vs original expectations.

He has his own style, he’s not as one eyed and entitled as a Fergie, not the happy go lucky persona of Klopp or the now Morose blame everyone Mou. He’s probably too engaging and too honest with the media, perhaps getting a little tetchy about the repeated scrutiny of what pound for pound has been the most consistent Pem tenure of any top 10 club budget wise. He’s still one of the most dignified of all of the top managers imo.

I feel I have to clarify that I love the guy because sometimes these conversations are seen in binary terms as either “Poch is great” or “Poch out” being the only stances available.

If your manager went out and publicly apologised on your behalf when you felt you did nothing wrong and deserved his backing, I’m betting you’d be livid. I know I would and if he said something else in private to me, I’d think him even more spineless for not having the courage of his convictions. Yesterday, in my view, he was utterly wrong with bells on.

Prior to a few months ago, I genuinely liked his style and manner more than any other manager but the last few months he’s been pretty undignified and looks either flaky or grumpy.

Fergie did what he did for control and effect. I’m fudged if I can see what Poch is playing at.

I couldn’t give a toss why Poch says in press conferences
All I care about is how he has us playing on the pitch
And he has helped create a massive massive club now
One that is on par with the own I grew up with on the 80a that was one of the genuine BIG clubs
Oh and a CL final in a relatively poor season was amazing

I couldn’t give a toss why Poch says in press conferences
All I care about is how he has us playing on the pitch
And he has helped create a massive massive club now
One that is on par with the own I grew up with on the 80a that was one of the genuine BIG clubs
Oh and a CL final in a relatively poor season was amazing

Could not agree more, what i would suggest those who get wound up by what he says is do not listen to it, personally it does not bother me BUT IF it did i would stop reading what he says. After all its what he can give to our team on the pitch that REALLY matters not what he says '(which is often misread/understood., blown out of perspective)

Maybe it’s mind games but I do worry that his attitude is that we are somehow fortunate to be in this position and we need to show deference to clubs like United, I’d much rather an attitude of arrogance, fudge em, yesterday’s team, we are the big boys now and when we are not passing it around you we are going to kick the brick out of you.

Clutching I know, but any chance there was an element of irony in his 'apology, given some of the tackles they put in'? Or trying to claim some kind of moral high ground in a roundabout way? I didn't hear what he said, only saw it reported, so I don't know the tone or the question he was answering.

Could not agree more, what i would suggest those who get wound up by what he says is do not listen to it, personally it does not bother me BUT IF it did i would stop reading what he says. After all its what he can give to our team on the pitch that REALLY matters not what he says '(which is often misread/understood., blown out of perspective)

I can relate to this in some way...

I think priority wise what matters to me in our manager is...

1. Results
2.performances
3. Signings (if he gets a say)
4. Who he sells
5.personality, interactions between fans and players (what you can see)
6. Youth development (he has been excellent in this regard for our long term future, benefits possibly long after he’s gone, long term, good for the club)
7. Media work, messages to the fans.

Others of course may feel I have missed things or wish to switch some numbers about I’m sure.

So while I think it’s not necessarily the main thing to judge him on, I think it is something that’s relevant in respect that fans will quote what he says to the press also, to make a point that he is a positive force for us, or to explain what they feel is the direction in which our club is heading.

I agree his quotes are open to misinterpretation and misunderstanding, but some recent ones have given me concern and I suppose it’s subjective as to whether fans are blowing it out of proportion.

Last edited:

It was one of the main stories on the BBC front page yesterday so very difficult to ignore.

It doesn’t keep me awake at night, I’m just finding his public utterances annoying at the moment. But I do think what he says in public does matter. I was fine with some of the blatant trolling and with him dismissing the press like he did when they asked about Kane after the Ajax game but some of this stuff must have the players scratching their heads a bit.

Clutching I know, but any chance there was an element of irony in his 'apology, given some of the tackles they put in'? Or trying to claim some kind of moral high ground in a roundabout way? I didn't hear what he said, only saw it reported, so I don't know the tone or the question he was answering.

No

I think it’s a deflection technique that great mangers now use

He has said we were at fault, I apologise, end of. Nothing more is to be said now by the press and Poch shows he is the better man

Mou was the master of doing these things and Pep and Plopp do it all the time. Is why their players don’t ge5 singled out in press conferences

Even last year when Poch was pressed around individuals he kept on saying its a team...

I think his repetition about perception and reality is a not-very-well translated point about SPurs not getting enough credit for where we consistently are now. Even Daniel Levy was asked at the announcement of the new AIA deal this week, whether it meant that Spurs would no longer be a top 6 club, whereupon he had to calmly point out that we have been top 4 (Champions League) for the last four years.
Our slow, inexorable improvement has not been dramatic, not been heralded by trophy wins or mega-signings, so it's not really commented on but instead there's unusually high standards and expectations set without the credit given that they are even being set in the first place.

It was one of the main stories on the BBC front page yesterday so very difficult to ignore.

It doesn’t keep me awake at night, I’m just finding his public utterances annoying at the moment. But I do think what he says in public does matter. I was fine with some of the blatant trolling and with him dismissing the press like he did when they asked about Kane after the Ajax game but some of this stuff must have the players scratching their heads a bit.

Fair enough and i do get that, but i still think that those who get annoyed by what he says are making a rod for there own back. As for the players well none of us knows what he has said about his comments in the media to them ( maybe nothing) but for fans who scratch their heads about what is printed are over thinking it. imo of course.

Speaking ahead of Monday's flight to Munich for the Audi Cup, in which Spurs face Real Madrid, and Bayern Munich or Feberbahce inside 24 hours, Pochettino opened up on his search for answers to last month's defeat during one of the toughest summers of his life.

"It was very bad," said the Argentine. "I compare with summer 2002, when we drew with Sweden and were beaten by England in the group stage at World Cup, within one week. As a player and as a manager both are the worst moments in my career.

"We had the most unbelievable three weeks to prepare before the Final. [We were] massively disappointed in the way we lost. Then you need to go home. I took a train from Madrid to Barcelona the day after. I spent 10 days in my home and didn’t want to go out. Yes, it was tough because you nearly touched the glory.

"All the effort we made to get to the final was unbelievable but you want to win and when you don’t it's massive because you know how tough it is to get there again next season, to start to find the energy to try to win – that is why it is difficult to recover."

"I talked to Jesus [Perez, assistant manager] every day to try to find the reason," Pochettino continued. "Always you try to analyse but in the end it’s small details that make the difference. I thought we were better than Liverpool. It wasn’t a great final.

"My family tried to lift me but they were in the same situation as me. After a few days, I tried to go to play golf [at the driving range]. I was focused with my son to try and [hit] the ball perfectly but it was impossible. Then I start to move on.

"The people that appreciated our job also helped. In Spain, English fans in restaurants in Madrid, also in Ibiza, people from Liverpool, people from Tottenham, different football people said, ‘Oh fantastic Tottenham’. That started to build happiness again because people recognised our job was fantastic."

Spurs reached a maiden European Cup final despite making no signings for the prior two transfer windows and spending a fraction on the first-team in comparison to the likes of Emirates Marketing Project, who they beat in the quarter-final.

Liverpool splashed over £100million on new signings after their defeat in the 2018 Final and it was suggested during last week's trip to Asia that the Merseyside club should act as an inspiration to Spurs. Pochettino rejected that notion and said Spurs have proved that spending big was not the only route to success.

"When you analyse from 2014, when we arrived at Tottenham, the net investment of all the teams," he said. "It’s not that City [started spending] when Guardiola arrived, or Liverpool when Klopp arrived, or Chelsea when Conte or Sarri arrived, or Manchester United when Mourinho or now Solskjaer arrived.

"It’s in their history – in the last 10 years – all the money they were spending to arrive here. For us, we are far away from that. It’s not fair to compare and say Liverpool is going to be an inspiration for us. No! It’s the opposite.

"Tottenham is an inspiration for the rest of teams in Premier League or in England because with less in everything you can fight. The most important is that culture, that philosophy we create all together in the club in the last five years. Maybe in the end we can get or not [get] a trophy but we are very close. We are so competitive with less we are doing a lot more than our rivals.

"I think we proved a different way to operate – we achieved the final of Champions League fighting with big clubs."

Harry Kane has said he may never be able to fully get over the defeat but Pochettino insisted he had now moved on and said it was not hard to lift his players at the start of pre-season, in part because Spurs have a brand new kit.

"When you start a new season [it is a] new kit, new everything. It's good because it changes. When you see a picture from the past it always goes quick. Now all is new, new colour and of course new motivation.

"The good thing is that winners move on quickly. Maybe 10 days like me, or 15. When it’s holidays it’s worse because it’s like every day you are thinking the same but when you start to rain and run you move on and put the bad things in the past.

"We are a winner. We are so competitive. In your mind maybe you feel lack of energy but the fight is always there," he added. "The moment you move on the fire inside starts to appear again.

"We love to compete and to win and now the final is in the past. I think my motivation is always high. I am professional, we love our job. I think it’s a big responsibility with a club that has confidence and trusts in you. Of course I try to fight a lot for our fans and club."

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...ery-but-insists-winners-move-on-a4199971.html

Back