• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

400% right. It’s still raw but I’m getting a horrible sense that some fans are thinking “has he take us as far as he can”, the media narrative is turning slightly and his comments last night have me worried.

He’s taken us from Champions League hopefuls to regulars. I don’t think people are appreciating the scale of that achievement.

Lose him, and we’re back to Europa League regulars. It’ll be the worst thing to happen Spurs since we were relegated.

Any Spurs fan pushing that agenda is actively working to damage the club afaic

we are arguably world leading.

anyways, a number of those teams that are "above us" are subsidised, whether by an oligarch, or the government (madrid). I don't think its fair to expect this from our owner if he doesnt want to.

Then what is he charging the premium prices for?

Getting rid of pooch would be insane..

He ends up working with small squads after he quickly ignores the 2-3 cheap useless players provided too him by the club.

I doubt his comment was misplaced. He's at a crossroads now. Let him do it his way for the next four years, or we'll call it a day. A lot of people making a lot of money at spurs and he's getting it in the neck.

Getting rid of pooch would be insane..

He ends up working with small squads after he quickly ignores the 2-3 cheap useless players provided too him by the club.

I doubt his comment was misplaced. He's at a crossroads now. Let him do it his way for the next four years, or we'll call it a day. A lot of people making a lot of money at spurs and he's getting it in the neck.

But no real fan is giving him any abuse

Their will however be the macarons but you get them regardless

He’s not going anywhere, he was just talking about the clubs philosophy moving forward, even when he has left, the club can still continue with this philosophy and growth. English isn’t his first language guys.

Reaction of some is a bit OTT for a cup game imo.

I’m all about the CL but even if we balls that up this year* he’s still the best person for the job.

*which we inevitably will.

Shopping for bargains as it's put has put together a side everyone seems to think should be challenging for the title and should have turned over Man Utd and gone on to win the cup - seeing a lot of conflicting logic since yesterday
Shopping for bargains is necessary for building up the squad and of course is an important part of our overall transfer strategy. Poch has done a tremendous job improving players to mould a team that is generally better than the sum of its parts.

But to take the step to the next level we need top quality first teamers and striking cover for Kane. We had that in defence last season with Rose Walker Verts and Alderweireld. This season we have had the squad fullbacks in their place and a youngster who although is very good and has potential is not yet Alderweireld. To lose 1 we could cover to lose 3 important defenders has shown in the lapses we have had against the top opposition.

I didn't think we would win yesterday, there is always hope we may get lucky but the reality is we are the 4th best team at the moment and that could change in the summer if we don't strengthen our defence.

If people are saying we aren't good enough to challenge/win things whilst shopping in the bargain basement they can't be surprised when we don't challenge/win things but that isn't where we are, we have a team good enough despite how it was put together, we just missed out this time - we could have beaten United testerday and we could have beaten Chelsea or Southampton in the final, the fact most of our players were bargains isn't the reason we lost a game of football

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ter-united-cup-semi-final-mauricio-pochettino

Pochettino’s success at Tottenham cannot be judged on trophies alone

By Jonathan Wilson

It feels as though Mauricio Pochettino’s career at Tottenham has been a battle with the club’s essential nature, with the need to end the curse of Spursiness. Spurs had this game in the bag, then they did not and the result was yet another semi-final defeat.

Perhaps the most impressive aspect of Pochettino’s reign is that every time he has been set a problem he has responded.

Tottenham could not finish above Arsenal? They did last season and they will this; at present the gap is 14 points. Tottenham could not prosper in the Champions League? This season they beat Real Madrid and Borussia Dortmund and should have beaten Juventus. Tottenham could not play at Wembley? They have lost twice here in the league all season. Tottenham have lost seven successive semi-finals? Ah. It is now eight and so long since they won an FA Cup semi-final that it was against a pre-Wenger Arsenal.

That leads to other, deeper-rooted questions. Does Pochettino need a trophy? Of course not. Trophies are the point of sport, at least at a professional level, and there would be something very sad if silverware became less significant than league position, if the battle were transferred entirely from the pitch to the balance sheet. But at the same time there is something absurd about those who decry the progress made by Tottenham under Pochettino just because it has not yet been adorned by a trophy.

Nobody, surely, thinks the last Spurs manager to lift silverware, Juande Ramos, did a better job than Pochettino is doing. Or take a look at the recent managers to have won the FA Cup: Arsène Wenger, Louis van Gaal, Roberto Martínez, Roberto Di Matteo, Roberto Mancini, Carlo Ancelotti, Guus Hiddink, Harry Redknapp, José Mourinho. Of those, other than the serial winner Wenger whose last success does fit the pattern, only Mancini lasted more than a year after winning the trophy – which rather suggests the demand for silverware is a red herring.

Trophies are important and successes should be celebrated but in terms of the bigger picture the FA Cup would, at best, have offered some sort of validation for the work Pochettino is doing. But he hardly needs that and, whichever club wins or loses it, this season’s FA Cup will be forgotten by the end of August.

When Manchester United beat Ajax in the Europa League final last season, Mourinho had his side target Davinson Sánchez, identifying him as the weak link in the opposition back-line. The Colombian has had a couple of iffy moments, most notably in the away game at Arsenal, but it is indicative of how good he has been that it has been possible for Pochettino to ostracise Toby Alderweireld as his contract dispute drags on.

What Sánchez has that sets him apart from other Spurs centre-backs is pace, a vital commodity for a team that plays such a high line. But the centre of the Spurs defence looked suspect here and United caused problems, and scored two goals, by the simple expedient of putting the ball in the box.

The sense in this season’s two league meetings was of a generational clash. On the one hand were United: tough, strong, sceptical of sophistication and fancy-dannery and winning at Old Trafford thanks to a long goalkeeping clearance, a flick-on and a neat finish as Spurs’ defence froze, as though dazed by the very simplicity of the move. On the other were Spurs: modern, vigorous, dynamic and far better in their win at Wembley than the 2-0 scoreline suggested.

The game began like that league meeting here. Spurs were quicker, sharper, more mobile and took the lead with a goal of remarkable simplicity. Harry Kane and Christian Eriksen, though, then squandered chances to increase that advantage and Spurs ended up conceding the equaliser because Mousa Dembélé was caught needlessly in possession deep inside his own half.

This was the Juventus game all over again, or a rerun of last season’s semi-final defeat by Chelsea: Spurs on top but lacking the ruthlessness to finish the game off.

Tottenham, understandably, feel frustration that every slip-up is seen through the prism of their character, that every goal conceded becomes a glib reflection of their moral fibre. But they had this game in their grasp and lost. For all Pochettino’s best efforts, not far beneath the surface traces of Spursiness still linger.

In the summer we sold Walker to Emirates Marketing Project and now there is a good possibility that we may lose Toby to another of our rivals. If this continues we should not be surprised if we continue to look good but also continue to just fall short of winning trophies.

If I were Christian Eriksen with just 2 years left on my contract I would think twice before signing a new one. It is not just a case of securing a suitable financial package for myself but it is also the issue of how the squad is strengthened. Why would I want to commit myself to a club that continues to bring in players like Llorente, N'Jie and N'Koudou who are simply not good enough. I wonder if Poch is not thinking the same thing too.

The one part of Wilson’s article which is nonsense is his assertion that Sanchez was iffy at Arsenal. That was probably his best game in a Spurs shirt, he was Kingesque. He gave away the free kick for the first goal but only because the ref penalised him for another great challenge.

He’s had bad games at Liverpool and Juventus particularly and is more patchy than Toby but the lad has the tools to be a top player. It’s still a shame Toby isn’t playing though.

The one part of Wilson’s argument is his assertion that Sanchez was iffy at Arsenal. That was probably his best game in a Spurs shirt, he was Kingesque. He gave away the free kick for the first goal but only because the ref penalised him for another great challenge.

He’s had bad games at Liverpool and Juventus particularly and is more patchy than Toby but the lad has the tools to be a top player. It’s still a shame Toby isn’t playing though.

Agreed
The team weren’t great but he was and the ref hurt him with poor decisions

"To win things there’s another step that we consistently don’t take."

We've stepped up level by level, bit by bit consistently over the last ten years and the same arguments you're making here are the arguments people have made against us each and every time - we've now reached a point where the only step left takes us to the very top - let's not pretend though it's something we have been banging on the door of for a long time - it's only the last couple of years.
Of course. But I still put it to you - do you think we are going to win things by constantly buying young talented players and having no guarantees of keeping hold of your top players? For a lot of these players they will be maybe a season away from questioning whether they want to stay at this club. Anyone thinking that Kane, Eriksen et al will stay here happy to not win anything for much longer are kidding themselves. We need a big player to show we mean business. The next step is the toughest one to take, and it’s more likely we fall out of the top 4 than it is we win the league with our policy at the minute....

If people are saying we aren't good enough to challenge/win things whilst shopping in the bargain basement they can't be surprised when we don't challenge/win things but that isn't where we are, we have a team good enough despite how it was put together, we just missed out this time - we could have beaten United testerday and we could have beaten Chelsea or Southampton in the final, the fact most of our players were bargains isn't the reason we lost a game of football

But the fact is we always seem to come up short. Now if we could supplement our present squad with with maybe 2 real quality players instead of another N'Jie or N'Koudou, sure it would guarantee nothing but it would give us a better chance.

But if we cannot, personally it is not a problem for me, because as long as I can afford to, I will have my season ticket and I will be supporting the team whether we are top 4, top 6, mid table whatever

Last edited:
Of course. But I still put it to you - do you think we are going to win things by constantly buying young talented players and having no guarantees of keeping hold of your top players? For a lot of these players they will be maybe a season away from questioning whether they want to stay at this club. Anyone thinking that Kane, Eriksen et al will stay here happy to not win anything for much longer are kidding themselves. We need a big player to show we mean business. The next step is the toughest one to take, and it’s more likely we fall out of the top 4 than it is we win the league with our policy at the minute....

You’re 100% right. In fact, I think Eriksen might have a look elsewhere this year. Kane will stay, Alli’s stock has fallen slightly so I reckon he’ll stay but Eriksen has really shone this season and he’s now 26 and spent 5 years here. We’ll do well to keep hold in my opinion especially if he has a good World Cup.

Back