• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

A more upbeat way of putting it would be, "I'd rather we qualified for the CL by winning the Europa League than by finishing fourth." ;)
Assuming we do manage to qualify for the Europa Poch will no doubt wait until the knock-out ties come round next February* before deciding which competition to prioritise. Because if by then we are a long way off fourth it will be pretty much a no-brainer, but equally if we are well in the mix for the title, then it would be just as much a no brainer the other way around.

*Correction: Round of 32 commences 16 February 2017.

Last edited:
I found this interesting post from another Spurs forum:

...but now and again it's good to take a step back and look at things from a different angle....for one the system Pochettino plays and the methods and discipline he insists on and the demands put upon the players has been proven to only work for a short period of time by any manager who plays this way...when it's in full flow it's a joy to watch and can be damn successful, but that work needs reward and as we have seen after the Chelsea game last season there was no chance of reward and it was almost like "pop" the bubble burst....and we havnt got anywhere close to the intensity since....secondaly as our rewards are all but realistically done for the season, except the FA cup perhaps, and thats when heads start to drop and players start to question their life choices....so yes there is a genuine chance questions will be asked in the dressing room and some may not like the answers.....how much disire and drive has Pochettino left to give? How much do the players want to be driven? Do some players really want to give it their all anymore, even to get in the top four?.....Pochettino needs them to regroup and fight for every game and get them "believing" they can win the whole thing, or he is indirectly going to lose the dressing room and players will start dreaming of 150k a week and not playing with average Sissoko's elsewhere!!

Thoughts?

What are your views or opinions on the likely hood of Poch loaning out some of our youngsters if we dont qualify for europa league. I think if we are out of Europe altogether then players like Winks, Onomah and Carter-Vickers are likely to get very little game time and would do better getting league football then just training with the first team.

Before the transfer window when asked about loans out in a press conference Poch said something like he doesn't trust other coaches with his young prospects.

He hasn't loaned out any young players since he took over that he sees a future for at Spurs.

Sherwood and Redknapp would have Winks doing a tour of every lower league club in London by now.

Because of our first 11 Lloris; Walker, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Walker; Dier, Dembele; Lamela, Alli, Eriksen; Kane; 8 of them predate Poch arriving here. Two were bought as backup/young prospects (Dier + Alli). 1 was bought to slot straight into the first team (Alderweireld)

Since Levy was widely criticised over 'wasting' the Bale money, we've been hedging our bets in the transfer market. Until Poch demanded he sign Wanyama.

Instead of going out and getting a better player than Eriksen, we go out and get one to replace Chadli or Townsend.

(Quoted from the Lamela thread as it seems to fit better in here).

I think a large part of why Pochettino was hired was because of his record of developing players, particularly young players. Him succeeding in taking 8 players from the AVB/Sherwood season where just about only Lloris was seen as good enough by a lot of fans to our currently very strong starting 11 is to his credit. The work he's done with for example Lamela who we supposedly wasted the Bale money on has been very good.

We've seen with a lot of younger players that by giving them time we can get some good value for money purchases that do really well for us. Alli is the stand out exception as he did well straight away.

Instead of going out to find a better player than Eriksen (a very tough task, one that many clubs including ourselves have struggled to do in the past) we work with the strengths of our head coach. We give him talented players and by showing him and them some patience we end up with very good players through player development rather than a short term transfer focus. In a world where we're trying to compete with teams with a lot more money than us it seems to me obvious as the best choice.

I agree. And that is tied to our business model, which is excellent. I predict Poch will be here at least until the new stadium is operational, the stability will help in courting and maximising sponsorship.

However once the stadium is complete I expect Levy to switch gears and set the bar higher. I anticipate wages to match the average of the top four, and correspondingly expectations to be raised.

Poch has until then to learn and gain experience and to prove himself, and Levy should be in the position to seek out the best experienced managers to manage a higher quality and more experienced squad.

Sent from my SM-T819Y using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I agree. And that is tied to our business model, which is excellent. I predict Poch will be here at least until the new stadium is operational, the stability will help in courting and maximising sponsorship.

However once the stadium is complete I expect Levy to switch gears and set the bar higher. I anticipate wages to match the average of the top four, and correspondingly expectations to be raised.

Poch has until then to learn and gain experience and to prove himself, and Levy should be in the position to seek out the best experienced managers to manage a higher quality and more experienced squad.

I agree with a lot of that. Though to clarify somewhat I hope and think our youth and player development is more than just a means to an end. Perhaps we're in agreement on that too.

No doubt expectations will be higher with more money available. If Poch is still here by then he has to meet those expectations if he wants to stay around for even longer.

Yes youth development will remain a critical part of our business model and our corporate social responsibility ethos, which is equally reflected in the grand plans of regenerating the area outside of the new stadium.

I wonder if just seeing the new stadium structures come up so quickly adds pressure to Poch. He must know that more will be expected from him in due time.

Sent from my SM-T819Y using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I might be reading into things a bit, but has Poch stumbled upon a bit of a solution or are we just seeing the results of Kane returning to the front?

We seem to have given up in the 433/4141 and returned to the 4231 with Eriksen taking up Lamela's role. This has left us with Son giving us a greater goal threat in his preferred position and Eriksen in turn has been finding himself cropping up centrally and in advanced position's more often.

Pressing is all very well. But teams are learning very quickly that if you can pack the area with defenders and survive the press, inevitably there will be times when you can attack on the break with a very favourable attackers vs defenders ratio.
And it is just not possible to press for 90 mins solid.

Having thought about it, I think it might be better to opt for open play, and a more balanced approach, against a lot of sides. They may choose to park the bus, but we shouldn't help them by forcing the press. Or if we are going to press, play three at the back, so we can move a midfielder further forward, rather than relying on Rose and especially Walker who are primarily defenders being asked to play as wingers.

Pressing is all very well. But teams are learning very quickly that if you can pack the area with defenders and survive the press, inevitably there will be times when you can attack on the break with a very favourable attackers vs defenders ratio.
And it is just not possible to press for 90 mins solid.

Having thought about it, I think it might be better to opt for open play, and a more balanced approach, against a lot of sides. They may choose to park the bus, but we shouldn't help them by forcing the press. Or if we are going to press, play three at the back, so we can move a midfielder further forward, rather than relying on Rose and especially Walker who are primarily defenders being asked to play as wingers.

Our pressing wasn't the problem today.

Mourinho wouldn't have left his team wide open at the back just because we defended deeper.

The way we failed to deal with their pressing was problematic though. Along with the way we failed to deal with them sitting deep.

Our pressing wasn't the problem today.

Mourinho wouldn't have left his team wide open at the back just because we defended deeper.

The way we failed to deal with their pressing was problematic though. Along with the way we failed to deal with them sitting deep.

i wasn't so much thinking about today's game, but more generally. At the moment we struggle to break down sides when there is not much space, and the high press means we end up playing in a crowded half/third of the pitch. so I'm not sure a high press suits our current squad make up. Teams will still defend deep, but a high press forces a less open game. We do seem to have reverted back to the meaningless possession around our own backline/half was line a bit recently, with everyone ahead closed down.

i wasn't so much thinking about today's game, but more generally. At the moment we struggle to break down sides when there is not much space, and the high press means we end up playing in a crowded half/third of the pitch. so I'm not sure a high press suits our current squad make up. Teams will still defend deep, but a high press forces a less open game. We do seem to have reverted back to the meaningless possession around our own backline/half was line a bit recently, with everyone ahead closed down.

I disagree on the effect of a good high press.

I found this interesting post from another Spurs forum:

Thoughts?

I think the contracts signed by our top players goes some way towards dispelling this idea.

Also I disagree that his style has been proved not to work over time. Pep at Barca, Klopp at Dortmund and Simeone at AM all played a very high intensity style. Both Dortmund and AM managed exactly what we're trying to do, compete with much richer clubs.

End of year review - Tottenham has over performed given the financial and personnel strength of the club. Pochettino has earned an above average pass mark. Long may he continue to excel, improve and stay at the club.

In the calendar year of 2016, only Chelski have earned more points (76) in PL matches than us (71)

Back