• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Just because certain players aren't known to be the type to fit into this way of playing doesn't mean to say they cant be coached into it. This is one of the elements that makes a good coach I guess - Im sure there will be a few players who will surprise...

I'd seen Rickie Lambert play in the lower leagues and I still can't believe it was the same player that was playing well for Southampton last season. Players are malleable to a certain degree

I'd seen Rickie Lambert play in the lower leagues and I still can't believe it was the same player that was playing well for Southampton last season. Players are malleable to a certain degree

Indeed,and like GB mentioned Lallana looks a different player too although he always had ability. Im sure there are plenty of other examples....

Was wondering if Southampton turn out to be like Wimbledon - sold players who played well for them, but turned out to be pants anywhere else? In this case due to Poch making them look better than they are, in Wimbledon's case because the team was so intimidating.

Was wondering if Southampton turn out to be like Wimbledon - sold players who played well for them, but turned out to be pants anywhere else? In this case due to Poch making them look better than they are, in Wimbledon's case because the team was so intimidating.
I have wondered the same thing. I think that there are a lot of players there who hit peak form at the same time. I think that there is a fair risk that anyone in for their players this summer will be paying peak value for players that could drop back to their normal form this season.

I have wondered the same thing. I think that there are a lot of players there who hit peak form at the same time. I think that there is a fair risk that anyone in for their players this summer will be paying peak value for players that could drop back to their normal form this season.
Form is a complicated thing, relying on factors like fitness, comfort, confidence, etc. Part of a modern football manager's job is to instil confidence in his players, and make them feel comfortable -- which can only help with their form.

Was Poch lucky to get a team of journeyman Southampton players all in form at the same time? Or was it him who got them into such good form? And, if the latter, can he do it with a very different bunch of players?

Form is a complicated thing, relying on factors like fitness, comfort, confidence, etc. Part of a modern football manager's job is to instil confidence in his players, and make them feel comfortable -- which can only help with their form.

Was Poch lucky to get a team of journeyman Southampton players all in form at the same time? Or was it him who got them into such good form? And, if the latter, can he do it with a very different bunch of players?
All good points and questions that we will probably not know the answers to until this time next year.

Bqhj6xVIAAEPrMh.jpg

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25755711

An article from January, focused on Cortese, but also highlighting the way he and Poch shared a vision for Southampton.

Part of the article:

This was Cortese's vision for Southampton, one shared by Pochettino, by defender Luke Shaw, by midfielder Adam Lallana, and by forward Jay Rodriguez and the rest.

Nothing was left to chance. Everything was planned, analysed, discussed. The club's poor away form was one issue. Why did they struggle?

Cortese refused to accept the club's geographical location as an explanation. Players were asked to fill out questionnaires. What time did they wake up at home? What were their habits? Did their children wake them, did the dog? The results were analysed and changes were made.
Saints march to the top flight

Then the 45-year-old focused on the environment. Now, when Southampton travel away from home, the hotel is often booked for two nights rather than one. On the first night, club staff arrive and clean the already pristine rooms. They vacuum up every particle of dust that might cause illness or carry a bug.

Then bespoke mattresses are placed on each bed, tailored to each player. The duvets, the pillow cases and the sheets are washed and ironed by the club, using the same washing powder and the same methods. Wherever the players are, their bed smells and feels the same.

The same applies to food, with the club chef travelling ahead of the squad to each and every hotel. Marginal gains were everything to Cortese.

On the field, the whole team, rather than just the defence and goalkeeper, were awarded clean sheet bonuses in order to promote a team ethic, rather than any division.

Hope Poch brings some of that same dedication and attention to details to Spurs.

Back