• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Let's talk about pressing again.

As i've often mentioned in the past, i fear that with or play we could always 'do-a-Bielsa' and have great starts to a season before tailing away near the end and missing our targets (Top 4, end of season finals etc).

For those who know well, I ask the following:

- How is our 'pressing game' coming along compared to last season?
- How does our own 'pressing game' compare to Bielsas?
- How does our own 'pressing game' compare to Klopp's Dortmund, and also what we are seeing so far with Klopp's Liverpool? (I expect @metalgear to perhaps take on that one:p)
- Are we showing signs of playing a combination of the 'pressing game' and also taking periods of games where we 'rest' and either sit back or play the 'possession game'?
- Do we think it's still quite possible with our 'pressing game' that we'l have the late season downturn due to the physical demands exacted on the players?

Would love to hear people's thoughts on the above.

As i've often mentioned in the past, i fear that with or play we could always 'do-a-Bielsa' and have great starts to a season before tailing away near the end and missing our targets (Top 4, end of season finals etc).

- How does our own 'pressing game' compare to Klopp's Dortmund, and also what we are seeing so far with Klopp's Liverpool? (I expect @metalgear to perhaps take on that one:p)
- Are we showing signs of playing a combination of the 'pressing game' and also taking periods of games where we 'rest' and either sit back or play the 'possession game'?
- Do we think it's still quite possible with our 'pressing game' that we'l have the late season downturn due to the physical demands exacted on the players?

Not attempting to be a pressing/Bielsas expert in any means .. but my thoughts

- Our pressing game is much further along than last season and improving game by game (Scum game, two things stood out, one period where they lost the ball right outside their box twice or three times in a row. second, even Eriksen was tackling, pressing, going for headers more than their midfield)
- Klopp's Pool from the games I've seen lacks balance, they are either too defensive, too forward, never both
- Think the Anderlecht game we let the pace be slower, also think we are doing the press to retrieve, if you don't get, fall back and hold shape more often
- The youth of our players, plus the forced rotation via injuries/suspensions will probably help, worried about Kane/Eriksen though (they cover a lot of ground every game)

Is he not welcome any longer? :(;)

A-ha! He, in my opinion, is MORE than welcome. How about 'The Official Maricio Pochettino Thread', or the 'We are so glad you are here Maricio Pochettino Thread' or Maricio Pochettino is the best Head coah We've Had since Timmeh' thread...

There's always a chance of tailing away near the end of the season regardless of system and pressing style. If a high pressing style helps us end up with the highest number of points at the end of the season that's the most important thing.

-Our pressing game seems much better this season. Players are more used to it and a year under Poch seems to have helped. And the new players have replaced the previous squad players really well as they seem much more suited to the pressing game.
-I think our pressing game is less extreme, though I'm not an expert either.
-Klopp's Dortmund at their best were relentless. I don't think we're quite there, and I'm not sure we necessarily have to be.
-I think we're showing some signs of that. Particularly the possession game you talk of. But more individual games where we sit back more rather than a mix in individual games from what I can tell. Though as I said I don't think we're as extreme as I've seen Bielsa sides in the past. And part of that is us standing off a bit more often.
-A late season downturn is always possible. Having some real cover for most of our positions is a good protection against this. Remember too that Bielsa usually works with smaller teams with limited squads. I think we have significantly more options for rotation and replacement than he's had.

We're also in our second season under Pochettino. Bielsa has somewhat often found second seasons tough going as he has to motivate teams for that super effort once more. We look like we're going from strength to strength though and really building something sustainable under Pochettino.

Not worried at this point. I think we're looking much more like Simeone's Atletico or Klopp's Dortmund in the building rather than one of Bielsa's short term projects getting a lot out of a limited squad with few changes.

I also think it's worth pointing out that a lot of our pressing isn't purely about getting super fit players to run even more. It's about being smart about when and where to press. And it's about assembling a team without "passengers" defensively, where everyone works hard. While we seem top or close to the top in terms of overall distance covered for PL teams, we're not bunching up several players near the top of individual overviews of distance covered. What we have is a team of those players that are capable of covering a lot of ground. That adds up to a big total, but without necessarily putting any stress on individuals that they can't handle.

It means not signing some types of "luxury" players. It means assembling a team that can become more than the sum of it's parts because everyone works as a unit.

Alli was signed in Jan
Mitchell came at the same time granted but it's not like he was an unknown qty

We had been watching Alli for at least 2 years before signing him (I know one of the youth coaches at Spurs and he had told me a few times about "an incredibly talented kid we were follownig at MK")

We sign very few players that are "unknown quantities" apart from for one scout or man.

Most likely most of the top half of the PL had been watching/following Alli for some time before we actually signed him. Just like they had been watching Bale. Just like most of Europe's top clubs (or near it) were watching Modric.

Watching/following is very different to actually signing.

We signed Alli after Mitchell came in. Mitchell worked at Mk Dons when Alli was there (as late as 2012). I would be surprised if his input wasn't at the very least asked for. I would be shocked if Mitchell wasn't tracking Alli (or had someone else do it) while at Southampton.

We sign very few players that are "unknown quantities" apart from for one scout or man.

Most likely most of the top half of the PL had been watching/following Alli for some time before we actually signed him. Just like they had been watching Bale. Just like most of Europe's top clubs (or near it) were watching Modric.

Watching/following is very different to actually signing.

We signed Alli after Mitchell came in. Mitchell worked at Mk Dons when Alli was there (as late as 2012). I would be surprised if his input wasn't at the very least asked for. I would be shocked if Mitchell wasn't tracking Alli (or had someone else do it) while at Southampton.
Spurs first tried to sign Alli a year before Mitchell was at the club.

Didn't know that. MK Dons refused our offer then? Or were we too much of a mess at the time for Alli to sign up?
I think Alli would've signed for us if we had been able to agree a deal with the MK Dons - it would be very rare for a young player to turn down a deal where they earn a lot more money, especially when their agent is advising them to make the move.

I don't think it ever really reached the 'take it or leave it' stage between the two clubs however. Basically MK Dons knew the player's value would go up (assuming he didn't get a nasty injury), we knew the player would still be very likely to be ours in a year or so's time and it probably made more sense at the time for the player to be playing for the first team at MK than playing reserve team games/going out on loan for Spurs. We also have a good relationship with the MK Dons at board level.

I think that if another club had come in with a big offer for Alli that was accepted by the MK Dons at that time then we probably would've matched it, but there was no need.

Hodgson certainly likes him

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tottenhams-mauricio-pochettino-special-guest-6856835

It's nice to see him give credit where it's due. Poch's certainly proving so far that there are good young English players out there. I think Hodgson is defiantly referencing Arsenal as one of the clubs that he doesn't bother to watch.

Who would have thought 20 years ago though that sometimes having 5 English players in your team would be a big deal.

Who would have thought 20 years ago though that sometimes having 5 English players in your team would be a big deal.

Didn't Liverpool famously win the league in the 70s or 80s with no English player in their team (though many were Scottish and Irish)?

Back