• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

They might be this season, but we won't know until the season is over. I think what GB is trying to say is that, based off historical evidence, it's a safe bet to say Liverpool will be close rivals to us for 4th, 5th, 6th this season.

There's no such thing as a true 'acid test' in the premier league. It's at a stage where most teams can beat/get a result against most teams. As an evaluation of how we are doing I'd look at performances for now (and league position sometime after Xmas). On the whole, performances under Poch this season have been good to excellent.

He's doing a good job, I struggle to understand how anyone can think otherwise.

Nail on head. I would say that he is doing a great job in that he has done what no other manager in recent times has been able to do and that is get rid of the journeymen. Our squad is young and we're not the light touch that we have been in the past. With players like Son, N'Jie, Pritchard, Mason and Bentaleb all waiting in the wings and yet to make a true impact on our season, I think we have every right to be optimistic about the future. As I said in another post, just imagine what this squad will be like in 2-3 years time. They will still be young, but have more experience than most players their age. If we can keep them together (which is not easy) then I do think we will see a Spurs side we can not only be proud of, but one that will meet our high expectations.

lets take a wider sample, after 10 games in the EPL, crystal place are two points behind us, leicester is 2 points ahead, and west ham 3 ahead. not quite our peers would you say?

We're the 6th biggest club in the country and Liverpool are the 5th biggest.

That's how it has been since City started doping in 2008 (and leapfrogged both of us), and how it will be for the foreseeable future.

Liverpool should always be our first point of reference.

Nail on head. I would say that he is doing a great job in that he has done what no other manager in recent times has been able to do and that is get rid of the journeymen. Our squad is young and we're not the light touch that we have been in the past. With players like Son, N'Jie, Pritchard, Mason and Bentaleb all waiting in the wings and yet to make a true impact on our season, I think we have every right to be optimistic about the future. As I said in another post, just imagine what this squad will be like in 2-3 years time. They will still be young, but have more experience than most players their age. If we can keep them together (which is not easy) then I do think we will see a Spurs side we can not only be proud of, but one that will meet our high expectations.
Just imagine what this squad will be next or even this year if we're injury-free!

I know I am becoming way too optimistic, but I can't help it. In the past it was one good performance interspersed between 2-3 mediocre to bad ones. Now we're seeing a string of consistently good to very good to excellent performances. We talked in the past about lack of consistency. Well heck, I think we're on the path to taking care of this.

I also think that we may see Hugo and others stick around, if the current trend continues. Maybe I'm being a bit naive, but I think that if players find a great environment and good team chemistry, coupled with an upwards trajectory of the team, it makes it very compelling to stay.

That's why it's called work in progress. Everything you outlined, with perhaps the additional striker, is already part of the team, only one season away (if not less).
Yup.... I think that all we now need is another proper striker option in the squad. For every other position in the squad I think we have cover players who are still improving. If we sign a top class alternative to Kane then we have the added bonus that Kane could easily slot back into the number 10 role and we could be twice as threatening up top.

If we can sacrifice Townsend to bring in half of the money towards a number 9 then I think it would be a very good bit of business.

Icing on the cake would probably be swapping Fazio for centre half more suited to playing our style of football, but that's nowhere near as urgent as our lack of number 9 cover.

Yup.... I think that all we now need is another proper striker option in the squad. For every other position in the squad I think we have cover players who are still improving. If we sign a top class alternative to Kane then we have the added bonus that Kane could easily slot back into the number 10 role and we could be twice as threatening up top.

If we can sacrifice Townsend to bring in half of the money towards a number 9 then I think it would be a very good bit of business.

Icing on the cake would probably be swapping Fazio for centre half more suited to playing our style of football, but that's nowhere near as urgent as our lack of number 9 cover.

- Kane backup
- I think Townsend goes, in my opinion we were never going to keep him & Lamela
- If we got Bentaleb back and Poch was comfortable with Bentaleb/Dembele being option for Dier in DM, then we have Dier as CB cover as well (so Fazio could go)

I also think that we may see Hugo and others stick around, if the current trend continues. Maybe I'm being a bit naive, but I think that if players find a great environment and good team chemistry, coupled with an upwards trajectory of the team, it makes it very compelling to stay.

imo if we sneaked top 4 this year Hugo would 100% stay.

Pretty sure someone posted up a link in this thread, called something like "howtheylinedup" - basically had an archive of all the games from previous seasons, with an interpretation of the player positions and formations. It wasn't exclusive to Spurs, but you select any team. Tried to google it, but can't find it.
Really appreciate if whoever posted it, or anyone else has it, to re-post?

cheers

EDIT / just found this: http://www.football-lineups.com

Last edited:
Funny how our laundry list of player needs from pre-season to now has widdled down to: striker cover. :)

Not necessarily unexpected ... the challenge pre season was

- Who was our DM option? - Dier has exceeded everyone's expectation (including expectations for anyone we would have bought in that role)
- How good was Toby? - turns out he is very good and has revived Vert
- What were we going to do with RW (Lamela/Townsend options) - seems Lamela is doing enough to keep his spot
- Who would provide another goal threat for us? - Son's limited appearances have provided a lot of reason to be positive

Despite injuries, the things that could go one way or the other, seem to have landed positively for the most part (far cry from buying 7 players and 6 months in only having one performing)

We have been lucky, with some credit also going to Poch/Club for the judgement calls.

Not necessarily unexpected ... the challenge pre season was

- Who was our DM option? - Dier has exceeded everyone's expectation (including expectations for anyone we would have bought in that role)
- How good was Toby? - turns out he is very good and has revived Vert
- What were we going to do with RW (Lamela/Townsend options) - seems Lamela is doing enough to keep his spot
- Who would provide another goal threat for us? - Son's limited appearances have provided a lot of reason to be positive

Despite injuries, the things that could go one way or the other, seem to have landed positively for the most part (far cry from buying 7 players and 6 months in only having one performing)

We have been lucky, with some credit also going to Poch/Club for the judgement calls.
Not unexpected, I agree, but all the stars aligned. Or better yet, as you stated, the judgment of Poch and the club (which we knew nothing of pre-season) seem to have been pretty accurate.

From Football 365

Pochettino perfect for this youthful Spurs

Date published: Wednesday 28th October 2015 9:05

Clinton-Njie-Mauricio-Pochettino-700x367.jpg

“He is enthusiastic and has strong opinions,” said Harry Redknapp this week about himself. Sorry, Tim Sherwood. In Redknapp’s enthusiastic and strong opinion, that makes Sherwood a potentially great manager. Redknapp probably thinks rather less of Mauricio Pochettino, who never knowingly says anything of any interest whatsoever. He is not quite at Manuel Pellegrini levels of anodyne, but it’s difficult to gauge what he may possibly feel strongly about, except that his teams should be focused and work hard – a recurring theme that does not lend itself to click-bait headlines.

Pochettino is the quiet man of Premier League management, working quietly for a side that is quietly doing rather well. While our eyes were bleeding at the ‘entertainment’ at Old Trafford, Tottenham were quietly dismantling Bournemouth. Last week, while all attention was on Liverpool’s gegenpressing, Tottenham were quietly just plain pressing in the usual fashion and registering another clean sheet. They are quietly the Premier League’s youngest side, quietly matching the three title favourites defensively and quietly the top flight’s most voracious tacklers.

If this was a Tottenham side playing under Redknapp or Sherwood, there would be loud backslapping about the youth of a squad that is the product of five years of transfer business conducted at a profit; Spurs are the only Premier League club who can make that claim. Instead of Pochettino urging Roy Hodgson not to pick the raw Dele Alli, there would have been boasts that Alli was the new Steven Gerrard and the theoretical price would be set at £40m – a guaranteed headline. Instead of Pochettino generously crediting Eric Dier with the intelligence to play in central midfield, there would have been self-congratulatory noises about the tactical genius in the room; they might have just stopped short of literally pointing to themselves.

Pochettino, on the other hand, is so unassuming that we have to rely on his players to get an insight into the man.

“He’s one of those managers whose door is always open,” said the rapidly maturing Kyle Walker this week. “I know a lot of managers say that, but his really is.”

The inference is clear: Pochettino talks quietly in private while other managers are loud when the media are in earshot.

“If you’ve got a problem in football, or even outside of it, you can always go and talk to him. Those man-management skills are vital for young players like we have. It’s critical to develop the squad, but we also need to develop as individuals.”

This youthful, ego-light squad is exactly suited to the strengths of the bluster-free Pochettino, who seemingly gets his team to run further and faster without resorting to the bully-boy tactics of old school managers forcing their charges to run up sand dunes. Like all the most effective teachers, the Argentine demands discipline while remaining approachable. It’s easy to see why Emmanuel Adebayor ceased to figure in his plans.

“The more experienced players probably couldn’t handle what we do, so it’s lucky we haven’t got too many old heads,” says Walker. While Arsene Wenger talks about a ‘golden age’ of footballers between 27 and 32, his near neighbours boast a squad with only two players in that bracket. It’s not a demographic that would suit everybody – Sherwood panicked at Villa and turned to Alan Hutton and Kieran Richardson – but it clearly suits Pochettino at Tottenham just as it suited him at Southampton.

It seems unlikely that the youngest Premier League squad would win the Premier League title but for Tottenham’s current ambitions – curtailed by a stadium-enforced period of austerity – of maintaining a top-six position while developing players to be sold on for profit, it is perfect. It is no coincidence that the only three sides across Europe with a younger average age than Tottenham this season (Valencia, Nice and Bayer Leverkusen) are clubs with very similar ambitions.

They say that he who shouts loudest, gets heard. But maybe not by the people that actually matter.

Sarah Winterburn

Good article that, don't think there isn't anything in it the more sensible of us hadn't worked out for ourselves, but good to Poch get some honest praise.

Squad is very good and like Poch's direction, but I'd kill for a VDV in that team ...
In saying that I dont think you see the whole perspective. We need 11 men doing their job, running their hearts out every game, every 90 minutes. Yes, vdv was a brilliant player - in a Redknapp team. We dont have the luxury of having world class players in the squad no more. Maybe in the future, but not now. Then we need to work as a unit, a team. Vdv was brilliant for us, but it looked like he was running out of gas after an hour. In a Poch team he would have gone of at half time. Because he had to do a much better job in our own half.

Last edited:
In saying that I dont think you see the whole perspective. We need 11 men doing their job, running their hearts out every game, every 90 minutes. Yes, vdv was a brilliant player - in a Redknapp team. We dont have the luxury of having world class players in the squad no more. Maybe in the future, but not now. Then we need to work as a unit, a team. Vdv was brilliant for us, but it looked like he was running out of gas after an hour. In a Poch team he would have gone of at half time. Because he had to do a much better job in our own half.

You can get world class players who can play as part of a unit. I agree that VdV would not fit in now though

Back