• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

That deal would likely break our transfer record, so you'd be willing to do it on a player you're not even a fan of. That says a lot about modern football.

The only way I would go for it is to replace Mason for a better player ( which he is) if it is the only option. But I agree about modern football being a sham and all about money, plastic fans who have not got a clue, to many game players who think football in the real world is as easy as on their putters, fans who bitch and moan about changing managers and then as soon we have a few bad results they scream about the managers being brick, calling themselves supporters of the team then starting to boo at the first mistake, I could go on but you get the point.

Although they're putting in decent shifts for those teams. With those players, you do have to ask yourself, whether their replacements in the squad (Chiriches and Capoue) have contributed more, or even as much as, those players would have contributed had they been here now under Poch.

I actually believe that the engines and athleticism of both Caulker and Livermore would have provided ideal squad options and competition in Poch's high press system.

I think Livermore would have plugged quite a few gaps adequately when Bentaleb and Mason became tired, or when Bentaleb was at the ACON.

I'm not suggesting they be re-signed, but as they were 'free', in future, I feel our squad players should come from the academy, and be given a decent amount of game time, rather than be replaced by expensive imports that are no better.

I can understand ( and agree) with some of that, but the point I was trying to make is that fans ( of all teams) tend to overhype players who come through the youth system, I go back years and remember the likes of Turner, Caskey, Houghton etc and very few of them have made a big impact over the long term for us. Mason ( imo) is the latest in a long line.

I can understand ( and agree) with some of that, but the point I was trying to make is that fans ( of all teams) tend to overhype players who come through the youth system, I go back years and remember the likes of Turner, Caskey, Houghton etc and very few of them have made a big impact over the long term for us. Mason ( imo) is the latest in a long line.

Possibly. Mason, as with any player playing his first full Premiership season (some also forget that), could go two ways.

He could go the way of Johnnie Jackdl, Rohan Ricketts or Dean Marney. Or he could kick on and keep improving like Harry Kane. I guess there is a third option, in that he does not regress drastically but maintains a solid squad option, much like Nicky Butt did for Utd all those years.

By the way, I don't think there is hype About Mason as such. People aren't saying he's the second coming of Hoddle. It's just after the limp displays of the later AVB era, it's nice to see an academy player playing in the first team and loving playing for the club, getting fired up on the pitch and making the most of the opportunity given him.

Not really sure what you are saying?

My reading of the quote is that if we are in it we'll try to win it but he doesn't see it as an absolute measure of himself as a manager whether he wins it or not, no?

no, i think he sees it as admission that its near impossible to do both, which i think is a something better left to a boardroom discussion than raised to the press.

Last edited:
Pochettino is reportedly extremely demanding of his players in training and with their work rate. Quite different from a lot of previous managers where Lennon has thrived.
Lennon works harder than most players in matches at least, surely that is the most important thing. He has never looked like a player who has been unfit, except perhaps in the first two or three games after returning from injury.

It can't be footballing reasons why he has been shipped out though, that I can agree with. Pochettino surely cannot be that incompetent. Lennon is vastly superiour to both Lamela and Townsend. I watched Everton's last two matches, and Lennon was excellent.

It was strange how he came into the team for a couple of games, did well, and then he wasn't seen again. He came on at half time at Hull, played well, helped us turn the game around and got an assist. Then he started against Everton, got another assist, played well again. Next was Chelsea away, he was decent enough overall, but perhaps partly to blame for one of Chelsea's goals. After that I don't think he played for us again before going to Everton.

Something similar happened to Dembele. He was in the team for a few games, played very well, but then he had one poor game at home to West Ham. Since then he has barely been involved. You get the feeling that some players are dropped at the first opportunity whilst others can perform poorly quite regularly, but still retain their place in the team or at least get more opportunities in not too long.

Possibly. Mason, as with any player playing his first full Premiership season (some also forget that), could go two ways.

He could go the way of Johnnie Jackdl, Rohan Ricketts or Dean Marney. Or he could kick on and keep improving like Harry Kane. I guess there is a third option, in that he does not regress drastically but maintains a solid squad option, much like Nicky Butt did for Utd all those years.

By the way, I don't think there is hype About Mason as such. People aren't saying he's the second coming of Hoddle. It's just after the limp displays of the later AVB era, it's nice to see an academy player playing in the first team and loving playing for the club, getting fired up on the pitch and making the most of the opportunity given him.

There are some on here who are linking him with Modric how is that not hype.

mason is playing his first full season and has had ups and down but certainly more ups. He passes well and wins plenty of ball. He isn't perfect by any means but he is better than most players in the league in a similar position

I prefer him to Coquelin for instance who plays in the same role (and has stepped up massively this season), I also prefer him to Lucas at pool for Instance

Thank you. Massively tinkles me off when the entire forum decides a player is useless and start bemoaning every appearance he makes.

Neither Mason nor Bentaleb have had outstanding seasons. Both commit a lot of silly mistakes pretty much every game. But both have massive potential.

Why is it that Bentaleb is being lauded as a hero and Mason being consigned to the scrapheap already? Both have so far to go.

A proper DM alongside/behind them would help.

I find it surprising that his attitude to training and professionalism let him down. you would think previous managers would have had a similar experience if that was a character trait of his. When my son has met the players - on a number of occasions - Lennon was always one of the friendlier players (not that it precludes him having an attitude problem -but it is an indicator of character in some way). Obviously if someone has good inside info, fair enough. But Lennon seems like someone who is more likely to have been led astray, than someone leading others astray. It is shame the manager couldn't get beyond whatever the problem was with Lennon (unlike Adebayor -who has been given more than enough chances)

You have hit the tickle my balls with a feather. This is EXACTLY the problem. In fact, Poch tried to work with again on the basis, that he was being led astray, alas it did not work. But you have hit it on the head. Not a bad seed per se, more one of those people far too easily influenced by 'others'...

Pochettino is reportedly extremely demanding of his players in training and with their work rate. Quite different from a lot of previous managers where Lennon has thrived.

Well that's the general gist of recent articles and of both Sherwood and Pochettino's opinion of the squad.

Far too many players who might have a high level of basic ability, but no drive, intelligence or determination to apply it and stretch themselves, or to fight and win in a very competitive environment.

It beggars belief for example, that Paulinho hasn't been kicking up a fuss, as he's lost his place in the Brazil team and is in danger of having a second failed stint in Europe on his CV that could kill his top-level career prospects. He doesn't seem bothered.

Capoue similarly has gone from promising midfielder on the fringes of the French squad, to journeyman reserve. Not a peep.

Adebayor has stated he is happy at Spurs and has no intention of leaving??? What???

Just seems there are a tonne of players that aren't even bothered if they're not playing, as long as they're collecting their wages every week, they're happy to sit on the bench or play U21 matches.

That's ultimately why guys like Bentaleb, Mason, Kane and Townsend have been preferred. They're hungry and determined to prove themselves.

I think this is why, long-term, Poch will do great things. He has identified that some good games from big players is one thing, but consistent hunger, effort and determination must trump that. Thus he is identifying those you describe and banishing them as best he can. I hope Levy reverses the habit of a lifetime and fudges them off for a loss if he has to. They need to be gone if they don't want to fight to be here.

There are some on here who are linking him with Modric how is that not hype.

Ok, well it depends how they are comparing him to Modric, as I understand the comparison. You'll have to bear with me here, though.

Ability-wise, in terms of base-level, he's far from Modric's level. However in terms of style of play, in terms of our ability to move quickly from defence to attack, in terms of recycling possession and in terms of the positions he takes up on the pitch and the 'give and go' mentality and the fact he isn't afraid to mix-it despite being a bit slight of build, I can get the Modric comparison. Only in terms of the above however. Modric is world-class. I don't think Mason will ever reach that level. I think he has a chance of a Scott Parker or James Milner type level of ability though if he applies himself and continues to improve his game. And that's a good level for any player.

Ok, well it depends how they are comparing him to Modric, as I understand the comparison. You'll have to bear with me here, though.

Ability-wise, in terms of base-level, he's far from Modric's level. However in terms of style of play, in terms of our ability to move quickly from defence to attack, in terms of recycling possession and in terms of the positions he takes up on the pitch and the 'give and go' mentality and the fact he isn't afraid to mix-it despite being a bit slight of build, I can get the Modric comparison. Only in terms of the above however. Modric is world-class. I don't think Mason will ever reach that level. I think he has a chance of a Scott Parker or James Milner type level of ability though if he applies himself and continues to improve his game. And that's a good level for any player.

Well I do not see any comparison to Modric at all, however if he turns out to be like the others you mentioned he will be a good player. I really hope that is what happens because at the end of the day we all want what is best for our team but for the time being I hope we find someone who can help make our CM more of a barrier then it is at this time.

Just read we became the first team to have three players reach double figures for goals this season in the Premier League (Kane, Eriksen, Chadli). Its only happened 32 times in the history of the PL that three players from the same team managed this. I think that's quite a feat and further highlight that our problems lie further back.

I've no idea what Lennon's attitude to training is, but I'd defy anyone who's been at the club as it is today longer than about three years to remain uncynically "on-message" about the whole stinking charade of the modern game, frankly.

Mason showed flashes of brilliance in pre-season and I think his game against the scum was top notch. So I do believe the talent is there. His passing is quick and excellent when he's on form and he makes himself available and finds the open space, but he seems to have regressed lately. So although he's not the second coming, the potential is there for him to be a regular for both team and country.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/32466662

"If we reach the Europa League next season, we must try and do better and fight for the top four and to try and win the Europa League, but it is not my dream." Poch

sorry poch, you knew what you were signing up for.

Wasn't Redknapp's dream either and it didn't hurt him.

I've said many times over the year that winning trophies should be our priority but it's easy to forget how many games there are in the EL which when added to an English ends in tears unless of course you have all the money in the World like a certain club in West London. As much as I'd prefer to win the EL over finishing 4th I just can't see it happening, would love to be proved though.

"It's magnificent to be in Europe, and this club - a club like Tottenham Hotspur - if we're not in Europe.... we're nothing. We're nothing."

Wasn't Redknapp's dream either and it didn't hurt him.

I've said many times over the year that winning trophies should be our priority but it's easy to forget how many games there are in the EL which when added to an English ends in tears unless of course you have all the money in the World like a certain club in West London. As much as I'd prefer to win the EL over finishing 4th I just can't see it happening, would love to be proved though.

thing is winning the europa cup gets you CL too. if it had to be one which one would you choose?

"It's magnificent to be in Europe, and this club - a club like Tottenham Hotspur - if we're not in Europe.... we're nothing. We're nothing."

I like that quote and I want us to get into the EL, but it's worth mentioning that it was said at a very different time. That was when first and second in the league and cup winners got into Europe right? So either you won a trophy or you got second in the league, that got you Europe. Not quite the same as the current situation in football where 6th7th or even 7th/8th is the difference between getting into the EL or not.

Back