• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I think we could do alot worse than milner next to bentaleb if we get the chance to sign him. Solid at defending and GHod going forward, abit like Mason in that he's got that drive from midfield in him. Would probably get a few goals aswell.

Watching Lennon play for Everton makes me doubt Poch's ability to judge a player and the contribution that player can make to the team. Lennon has never struck me as anything other than a hard worker and team player on the pitch -he always puts in a good shift, and is proven at Premier level. He as at least as good an option as Lamela or Townsend on the right, and in my opinion a better option - and Poch lets him go out on loan. A very poor managerial decision.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/32466662

"If we reach the Europa League next season, we must try and do better and fight for the top four and to try and win the Europa League, but it is not my dream." Poch

sorry poch, you knew what you were signing up for.

Not really sure what you are saying?

My reading of the quote is that if we are in it we'll try to win it but he doesn't see it as an absolute measure of himself as a manager whether he wins it or not, no?

And if we are going to play two deep lying DMs one at least has to be able to get up and down, and be a creative playmaker. The #10 position is too far forward to take on the playmaking role. I don't think Bentaleb, Milner, or Mason are the creative playmaker that we need. We need another Modric like player - but preferably with more goals in them.

Watching Lennon play for Everton makes me doubt Poch's ability to judge a player and the contribution that player can make to the team. Lennon has never struck me as anything other than a hard worker and team player on the pitch -he always puts in a good shift, and is proven at Premier level. He as at least as good an option as Lamela or Townsend on the right, and in my opinion a better option - and Poch lets him go out on loan. A very poor managerial decision.

It's been discussed on here before. I think the general consensus is that his attitude to training and professionalism cost him his place.

For me he's a better option than both Townsend and Lamela currently but if you're Poch coming in and trying to create a culture of hard working players who believe in what you want to do, gettibg rid of anyone who isn't pulling in the same direction as you want is a necessity.

It's been discussed on here before. I think the general consensus is that his attitude to training and professionalism cost him his place.

For me he's a better option than both Townsend and Lamela currently but if you're Poch coming in and trying to create a culture of hard working players who believe in what you want to do, gettibg rid of anyone who isn't pulling in the same direction as you want is a necessity.

I find it surprising that his attitude to training and professionalism let him down. you would think previous managers would have had a similar experience if that was a character trait of his. When my son has met the players - on a number of occasions - Lennon was always one of the friendlier players (not that it precludes him having an attitude problem -but it is an indicator of character in some way). Obviously if someone has good inside info, fair enough. But Lennon seems like someone who is more likely to have been led astray, than someone leading others astray. It is shame the manager couldn't get beyond whatever the problem was with Lennon (unlike Adebayor -who has been given more than enough chances)

I find it surprising that his attitude to training and professionalism let him down. you would think previous managers would have had a similar experience if that was a character trait of his. When my son has met the players - on a number of occasions - Lennon was always one of the friendlier players (not that it precludes him having an attitude problem -but it is an indicator of character in some way). Obviously if someone has good inside info, fair enough. But Lennon seems like someone who is more likely to have been led astray, than someone leading others astray. It is shame the manager couldn't get beyond whatever the problem was with Lennon (unlike Adebayor -who has been given more than enough chances)

Suprised me too, especially when you look at his work rate etc on the field. I think there was some inside info iirc thiugh.

Pochettino is reportedly extremely demanding of his players in training and with their work rate. Quite different from a lot of previous managers where Lennon has thrived.

My bad apologies. whoever was playing alongside Schneiderlin! My point was that they were much more disciplined than our defensive midfielders.

More defensively solid, but also quite a bit worse on the ball. Southampton effectively bypassed them by going direct quite a bit, but I'm not sure I would like a similar combination of central midfielders for us. If we do want that we certainly have to get a Pelle/Benteke-esque target man I think. I do want a target man type in the summer, but I wouldn't want to see a similar midfield combo. I like Schneiderlin, probably the best defensively solid all round midfielder outside the current top 6. But partnering him with what is essentially a defender/pure defensive midfielder at home... I don't think it's the way forward for us at least.

He is, especially by GB. I'm not quite sure what he sees in him. He brings energy and he likes a tackle, but I don't see him offering much else defensively or going forward. I wouldn't sell him by any means, however, I do think we need an upgrade on him as he's a squad player IMO.

At his best this season he's shown quite a lot more. Some great movement (along with energy as you say), some purposeful quick passing, good shot with both feet and the ability to go past players.

In the last month or two he's been a bit short on form by the looks of things. Doesn't quite have the energy from earlier this season and struggling to make the same impact on the ball too.

More defensively solid, but also quite a bit worse on the ball. Southampton effectively bypassed them by going direct quite a bit, but I'm not sure I would like a similar combination of central midfielders for us. If we do want that we certainly have to get a Pelle/Benteke-esque target man I think. I do want a target man type in the summer, but I wouldn't want to see a similar midfield combo. I like Schneiderlin, probably the best defensively solid all round midfielder outside the current top 6. But partnering him with what is essentially a defender/pure defensive midfielder at home... I don't think it's the way forward for us at least.

At his best this season he's shown quite a lot more. Some great movement (along with energy as you say), some purposeful quick passing, good shot with both feet and the ability to go past players.

In the last month or two he's been a bit short on form by the looks of things. Doesn't quite have the energy from earlier this season and struggling to make the same impact on the ball too.

Agreed with all of the above

Southampton play with a really deep defence and have the two holders sat the to make them harder to break down. If we did that our fans would go mad at the football like people used to moan under AVB IMO

It's masons and bentelabs first season at this level and masons first in this position really. They have far from let us down given their age, experience and team set up. Really we should be looking at other payers in the squad who haven't stepped up when given their chance

Agreed with all of the above

Southampton play with a really deep defence and have the two holders sat the to make them harder to break down. If we did that our fans would go mad at the football like people used to moan under AVB IMO

It's masons and bentelabs first season at this level and masons first in this position really. They have far from let us down given their age, experience and team set up. Really we should be looking at other payers in the squad who haven't stepped up when given their chance

I do think Southampton's style is a bit overrated. If it wasn't for that 8-0 against Sunderland they'd be one of the lowest scoring sides in the league.

I am not Schneiderlin's biggest fan but Mason is not the answer to our weak CM. so I would do that deal.

That deal would likely break our transfer record, so you'd be willing to do it on a player you're not even a fan of. That says a lot about modern football.

Would agree with that, I remember the same type of hype about Caulker, Livermore and they are now with teams fighting relegation.

Although they're putting in decent shifts for those teams. With those players, you do have to ask yourself, whether their replacements in the squad (Chiriches and Capoue) have contributed more, or even as much as, those players would have contributed had they been here now under Poch.

I actually believe that the engines and athleticism of both Caulker and Livermore would have provided ideal squad options and competition in Poch's high press system.

I think Livermore would have plugged quite a few gaps adequately when Bentaleb and Mason became tired, or when Bentaleb was at the ACON.

I'm not suggesting they be re-signed, but as they were 'free', in future, I feel our squad players should come from the academy, and be given a decent amount of game time, rather than be replaced by expensive imports that are no better.

Although they're putting in decent shifts for those teams. With those players, you do have to ask yourself, whether their replacements in the squad (Chiriches and Capoue) have contributed more, or even as much as, those players would have contributed had they been here now under Poch.

I actually believe that the engines and athleticism of both Caulker and Livermore would have provided ideal squad options and competition in Poch's high press system.

I think Livermore would have plugged quite a few gaps adequately when Bentaleb and Mason became tired, or when Bentaleb was at the ACON.

I'm not suggesting they be re-signed, but as they were 'free', in future, I feel our squad players should come from the academy, and be given a decent amount of game time, rather than be replaced by expensive imports that are no better.

Disagree re caulker but agree with the context of the post

I am concerned that the senior signings haven't been vocal in expressing their concerns at not getting starts

It looks to me like we have signed a load of quiet players without any passion to to speak. I'd rather have them banging down the door to ask for place

Disagree re caulker but agree with the context of the post

I am concerned that the senior signings haven't been vocal in expressing their concerns at not getting starts

It looks to me like we have signed a load of quiet players without any passion to to speak. I'd rather have them banging down the door to ask for place

Well that's the general gist of recent articles and of both Sherwood and Pochettino's opinion of the squad.

Far too many players who might have a high level of basic ability, but no drive, intelligence or determination to apply it and stretch themselves, or to fight and win in a very competitive environment.

It beggars belief for example, that Paulinho hasn't been kicking up a fuss, as he's lost his place in the Brazil team and is in danger of having a second failed stint in Europe on his CV that could kill his top-level career prospects. He doesn't seem bothered.

Capoue similarly has gone from promising midfielder on the fringes of the French squad, to journeyman reserve. Not a peep.

Adebayor has stated he is happy at Spurs and has no intention of leaving??? What???

Just seems there are a tonne of players that aren't even bothered if they're not playing, as long as they're collecting their wages every week, they're happy to sit on the bench or play U21 matches.

That's ultimately why guys like Bentaleb, Mason, Kane and Townsend have been preferred. They're hungry and determined to prove themselves.

Well that's the general gist of recent articles and of both Sherwood and Pochettino's opinion of the squad.

Far too many players who might have a high level of basic ability, but no drive, intelligence or determination to apply it and stretch themselves, or to fight and win in a very competitive environment.

It beggars belief for example, that Paulinho hasn't been kicking up a fuss, as he's lost his place in the Brazil team and is in danger of having a second failed stint in Europe on his CV that could kill his top-level career prospects. He doesn't seem bothered.

Capoue similarly has gone from promising midfielder on the fringes of the French squad, to journeyman reserve. Not a peep.

Adebayor has stated he is happy at Spurs and has no intention of leaving??? What???

Just seems there are a tonne of players that aren't even bothered if they're not playing, as long as they're collecting their wages every week, they're happy to sit on the bench or play U21 matches.

That's ultimately why guys like Bentaleb, Mason, Kane and Townsend have been preferred. They're hungry and determined to prove themselves.

Psychological profiling is part of good scouting.

I think these mistakes are legacies of the 2008-12 period when we withdrew from doing our own scouting and just worked with agents.

Back