• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

i don't think position is at all relevant this season, the squad is a mess, its gonna take some time to fix, he should be judged solely on his shaping of the squad imo
I don't particularly get this "the squad is a mess" stuff?.... It's funny how last season under Sherwood we apparently had a great squad and he was underachieving or merely achieving what was expected of him and yet now with the same squad (+£30 million of additions) it's suddenly that "the squad is a mess". Did they all suddenly become a b!t **** over June and July or something?

It might be worth some people reading up on the first seasons of our two most successful managers of the last 60 years as they introduced the structural reforms necessary to implement their philosophies. Burkinshaw got relegated and Nicholson finished 18th (out of 22).

Don't think managing in a league that has nothing more than geographical location and some common club names in common with the PL is a relevant comparison to be fair GB.

In the PL era, the only manager who had top level success with a strict philosophy style is Wenger, and he now increasingly looks like a dinosaur. SAF/Mourinho are more flexible, adaptive and if they build around a philosophy it's far more basic (i.e. attack or don't lose first)

I don't particularly get this "the squad is a mess" stuff?.... It's funny how last season under Sherwood we apparently had a great squad and he was underachieving or merely achieving what was expected of him and yet now with the same squad (+£30 million of additions) it's suddenly that "the squad is a mess". Did they all suddenly become a b!t **** over June and July or something?

I don't think it was widely thought that we had a great squad last season (nor the season before even) the majority of posters, imv, were ****ed off with the summers transfer business and the season before it was 'Bale digging the rest of the squad out of trouble every week'. I think the general consensus was a top 6 squad with a possibility of higher if the signings gelled straight away)

I think Sherwoods target was simply to take an under performing AVB team and finish the season well - which he did, in fairness to him. Whether that's enough to give the man the full time job i don't know - not enough for me personally. I also think if Pochettino was told to forget about any long term thinking and to focus purely on winning as many games as possible between now and the end if the season then we'd likely be sitting here with more points than we have now - but i think his MO is more based in the long term.

I don't think it was widely thought that we had a great squad last season (nor the season before even) the majority of posters, imv, were ****ed off with the summers transfer business and the season before it was 'Bale digging the rest of the squad out of trouble every week'. I think the general consensus was a top 6 squad with a possibility of higher if the signings gelled straight away)

I think Sherwoods target was simply to take an under performing AVB team and finish the season well - which he did, in fairness to him. Whether that's enough to give the man the full time job i don't know - not enough for me personally. I also think if Pochettino was told to forget about any long term thinking and to focus purely on winning as many games as possible between now and the end if the season then we'd likely be sitting here with more points than we have now - but i think his MO is more based in the long term.

Why do long term thinking and short term results have to be mutually exclusive? I would say that short term results would be part of longer term plan.

I think that if we are honest sections of our fan base are critical of the manager regardless of who they are.

We achieved our greatest success when we had our best squad in recent times. We are performing less well at the moment because we do not currently have a squad at that level.

This is not aimed at you Milo because I think you are a good/fair poster, but where the hell does the idea that pie and chips Harry had nothing to do with the assembly of said SWAD come from.... 2 points from 8, to champs league place and he still is seen as some kind of bumbling fool that lucked it with this great squad he had... Seriously WTF???

Why do long term thinking and short term results have to be mutually exclusive? I would say that short term results would be part of longer term plan.

i don't think they are mutually exclusive - but i don't think short term success necessarily goes hand in hand with long term thinking either.

That particular point was in relation to why i think Sherwood done a good job with (almost) the squad we currently have (his focus was entirely on making the most of the remainder of the season)

Sherwood had a striker in Adebayor bang in form. Same striker this season isn't. With a firing number 9 Poch and Spurs would be a lot better off right now.

Once Poch can get a striker who can score and finish their chances we will look similar to the Sherwood team.

And we have created a lot of chances for our strikers this season. The finishing has been awful in the league by Ade, Soldado and Kane.

This is not aimed at you Milo because I think you are a good/fair poster, but where the hell does the idea that pie and chips Harry had nothing to do with the assembly of said SWAD come from.... 2 points from 8, to champs league place and he still is seen as some kind of bumbling fool that lucked it with this great squad he had... Seriously WTF???

It is not really a discussion for this thread and it is not an opinion I hold. I think that Redknapp's record is generally very good and that most of his shortcomings could/would have been overlooked if he hadn't behaved like a **** after the England job became available.

It is not really a discussion for this thread and it is not an opinion I hold. I think that Redknapp's record is generally very good and that most of his shortcomings could/would have been overlooked if he hadn't behaved like a **** after the England job became available.

Mate.
You're a saint.
I don't know how many more times I can personally articulate my feelings on this specific matter.

Could'nt agree more. Its ludicrous.

That's not the point...

We are always pining for the latest sexy manager or player - dishing traditional options because they are not good enough for us - yet the only time we ever achieved anything recently was precisely with that type of manager...

Talk about delusion...

Actually the last time we achieved anything was under Ramos.

Quarter finals of the CL wasn't an achievement?

Mate can you name the quarter finalists of the champions league even last season off the top of your head? Nobody cares. Its not an achievement no. We won the right to get butt-f**ked, spanked and ridden round the room with our thumb in the mouth by Real Madrid.

We had a cup run. So what? Bradford City got to the league cup final. We had a great squad so QF of the CL was good, but no it wasn't an achievement.

Mate can you name the quarter finalists of the champions league even last season off the top of your head? Nobody cares. Its not an achievement no. We won the right to get butt-f**ked, spanked and ridden round the room with our thumb in the mouth by Real Madrid.

We had a cup run. So what? Bradford City got to the league cup final. We had a great squad so QF of the CL was good, but no it wasn't an achievement.

Given how Emirates Marketing Project have struggled with all the money they have and it was our first season in the competition, going to places like the San Siro and winning meant nothing? OK then.

Given how Emirates Marketing Project have struggled with all the money they have and it was our first season in the competition, going to places like the San Siro and winning meant nothing? OK then.

So are we going to put a DVD of our victory over Milan in our trophy cabinet? I hope we never call West Ham a tin pot club again.

I'm getting sick of this loser mentality that pervades our club.

So are we going to put a DVD of our victory over Milan in our trophy cabinet? I hope we never call West Ham a tin pot club again.

I'm getting sick of this loser mentality that pervades our club.

If you're going to belittle that cup run, then I could easily point out that Ramos only beat two decent sides the year we won the league cup but I won't do that. Despite his crap management in the league, winning the carling cup was an achievement.

If you're going to belittle that cup run, then I could easily point out that Ramos only beat two decent sides the year we won the league cup but I won't do that. Despite his crap management in the league, winning the carling cup was an achievement.

Fact is Ramos won a trophy and he'll go down in history as one of the few modern-day Spurs managers to do so.

Redknapp won jack-s#:& and achieved nothing despite having probably the best Spurs squad since the double winning team.

In fact, AVB then took Redknapp's squad minus King, Van Der Vaart & Modric and achieved our record ever points total.

So in 20 years time what will Redknapp be remembered for?

Fact is Ramos won a trophy and he'll go down in history as one of the few modern-day Spurs managers to do so. He will no arguement there.

Redknapp won jack-s#:& and achieved nothing despite having probably the best Spurs squad since the double winning team. So what should he have achieved? Winning the title? At best, we should have finished 3rd under him, no higher than that. Or should we have finished above United with SAF and City who were a juggernaut at the time?

In fact, AVB then took Redknapp's squad minus King, Van Der Vaart & Modric and achieved our record ever points total. So a record points total but 5th place is an achievement but 4th place isn't?

So in 20 years time what will Redknapp be remembered for? Finishing 4th, twice. Playing the best football we have seen since the 80s. Not up there with our greatest honours by any shakes, but the best we have achieved along with the two trophies in a very barren 20 years.

See my answers above

I love how AVB gets credit for doing well without VDV when he chose to sell him.

Back