• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I just find it amazing that he never managed one win with Southampton when his team went behind. Yet he's making a habit of it at Spurs.

He was spot on yesterday.

Although a surprise they never won a game like that,I guess it helps Southampton were decent defensively so wouldnt fall a goal behind so frequently...

Is it odd that the best performance has been when the selection and tactics matched what the supporters wanted.?.

Maybe MoPo is right to insist on being called "head coach" - leave the selection to us.

P046_zps795e3652.png

Tottenham Hotspur Manager's Records & Statistics 1898-2014

Well that performance was crucial to any one in the squad who had doubts about Pochettino. It helps sell his ideas when the results are fruitful as they were v Everton. Lets just hope we build on it.

It was, but like most things it needs to be followed up with some consistency

- in selection, if he reverts to Ade/Capoue/Kaboul or even in short term starting Lamela then he undoes a lot of that faith/time he bought with yesterday's game
- in tempo, we need to keep that speed of play up
- in defensive shape

I don't see us beating Cheat$ki, but a little luck could get us a draw and that would be a big result for us.

Although a surprise they never won a game like that,I guess it helps Southampton were decent defensively so wouldnt fall a goal behind so frequently...

I don't think people understand the value of squad depth.

It's really hard to have a plan B if all of your quality players are already on the pitch (no one as good on bench)

Harry for all he brought, took about a season to realize how to use subs imo, for purely that reason.

Is it odd that the best performance has been when the selection and tactics matched what the supporters wanted.?.

Maybe MoPo is right to insist on being called "head coach" - leave the selection to us.

My thoughts exactly, he finally gave us what we wanted and we looked 100 times better.

Guess the key question is why did it take him so long to come up with

- No Kaboul, Capoue, Ade
- Two players who play the ball in the middle
- Lennon providing with
- Soldado/Kane up front
- Less suicidal FB play

Seemed obvious to everyone else, to be fair to him, more than one manager had lucked into his right team selection via no other options (injury/suspension/etc.)

Bear in mind everyone that we were playing against the team with the second-highest possession in the league - that's the main thing that allowed us to play with more speed and urgency, because the other team actually had the ball and came forward with it! It's much harder to press, counter and play with speed and urgency when the opposition just sits deep and avoids possession - which is probably why Poch always struggled when going behind at Saints (opposition likely to sit back), and seemed to do particularly well against top opposition (less likely to sit back).

Two of our other best performances this season have come against Arsenal and Emirates Marketing Project - the first and fourth-highest possession in the league. Don't think it's coincidence.

I can see us playing well away to Chelsea, but let's see how well we do against teams who park the bus.

Bear in mind everyone that we were playing against the team with the second-highest possession in the league - that's the main thing that allowed us to play with more speed and urgency, because the other team actually had the ball and came forward with it! It's much harder to press, counter and play with speed and urgency when the opposition just sits deep and avoids possession - which is probably why Poch always struggled when going behind at Saints (opposition likely to sit back), and seemed to do particularly well against top opposition (less likely to sit back).

Two of our other best performances this season have come against Arsenal and Emirates Marketing Project - the first and fourth-highest possession in the league. Don't think it's coincidence.

I can see us playing well away to Chelsea, but let's see how well we do against teams who park the bus.

Excellent point

- No Kaboul, Capoue, Ade
- Lennon providing with
- Soldado/Kane up front
- Less suicidal FB play

Seemed obvious to everyone else, to be fair to him, more than one manager had lucked into his right team selection via no other options (injury/suspension/etc.)

I think to defend Pochettino a little here (and most on here would know that I am definitely not a usual Pochettino defender)....

Bentaleb has been out injured for a while so hasn't been able to play in the team. Pochettino did get Mason in there quickly and stick with him which is commendable considering Capoue, Dembele and Paulinho are all expensive signings.

Soldado/Kane up front I can also excuse. Soldado's goalscoring was non existant and Adebayor was the man in possession of the jersey from the end of last season under Sherwood.

I have had two big critisisms of Pochettino this season so far.... The first was continually playing Capoue (the worst holding midfielder I have ever seen) I honestly think that we could've played any member of our squad in that position and he would've done a better job of it than Capoue. I also felt that Poch stuck with Lamela for too long when it is clear that Lennon is currently a better player than him. It seems that injury has allowed Pochettino to realise the former and he has gradually realised the latter himself (although perhaps there was an attitude issue here as well behind the scenes?).

Interestingly enough our best performance of the season has come with us playing with a "Sherwood like" formation and tactics. I don't want to drag this thread back to that - but I wonder what certain people make of Poch going all 'pie and chips' on us?

I didn't think our performance against Emirates Marketing Project was particularly good.... While in that game we looked better in an attacking sense than we have in many of our home games I thought we looked like conceding just about every time Emirates Marketing Project got the ball. Yesterday was very different as Everton never really looked like scoring.

I also don't think that the teams who have beat us at WHL have done so by parking the bus. I think West Brom, Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Stoke all committed men forward and came at us at times. It was just that they then also got into a good defensive shape when they lost the ball (just as we did yesterday). The difference between yesterday and our home games against the likes of West Brom, Stoke and Saudi Sportswashing Machine was that we moved the ball forward so much more quickly yesterday. Instead of Capoue coming into line with the centre halves, taking it off of them, playing a sideways pass to the full back, getting it back, playing it back to the centre half, dropping into line with them and taking it back, etc, etc.... It was evident that Bentaleb instead took a position a little further forward to receive the ball, he was then creative and quick in his passing, lots were played first time and lots were played forwards. This meant that our attacks started before Everton were able to regroup defensively.

I thought against Hull as we chased the game we also played more quickly in terms of our transition. It was against 10 men so it was difficult to tell whether we would've been able to do the same against 11 men, but our quick movement of the football did enable us to create chances against a team who had numbers behind the ball.

Spot on. Said previously that there were a lot of similarities between this game and the Arsenal game, but you're right it was also quite similar to the City game. And I don't think it signals a change in approach from Pochettino.

Spot on. Said previously that there were a lot of similarities between this game and the Arsenal game, but you're right it was also quite similar to the City game. And I don't think it signals a change in approach from Pochettino.

I think you can, because there were differences in execution to either of those games

- First was tempo, I say a million times, when we play slow, we are a very ordinary side, when we up the tempo, we become that top 4 challenger
- Defensive discipline without the ball, against Citi/Scum, they got a lot of balls in the box, lots of last ditch clearances from us.Yesterday at times, Everton struggled to find a way into final 3rd, our off the ball work was much better.
- Also we seem to have leveraged Lennon/Eriksen more than the suicidal FB model.

I also though against the Scum we purely played a counter attack game, (and if Ade was in any kind of form, the game would have been won in first half), against City we went at them, for Everton we mixed it up, bit of both.

It may be tweaks to a model, may just be better personnel, maybe better execution, seemed a better game than either of previous two.

- No Kaboul, Capoue, Ade
- Lennon providing with
- Soldado/Kane up front
- Less suicidal FB play

Because his evaluation of the players is based on more than just 90 minutes on a Saturday, whereas that is all that the fans have to go on. So it will naturally take him a little longer to come round to the changes. Also, he's getting to know the players still.

Basic example;

Ade has a **** game, bangs them in all week in training and looks good in the system, 'definitely a player in there, maybe he'll hit it this week'. Ade has another **** game. Bangs them in again all week 'OK, he did infact look ****, but he really is looking good'. Ade has another **** game 'OK, straw that broke the camels back, it doesn't matter how he performs in training, he's not doing it on match days, can't play him anymore'.

Among about a million other variables that that fans can never understand as they aren't at training every day, I think that is what it boils down to.

Hopefully he kicks on with these core players now though.

Because his evaluation of the players is based on more than just 90 minutes on a Saturday, whereas that is all that the fans have to go on. So it will naturally take him a little longer to come round to the changes. Also, he's getting to know the players still.

Basic example;

Ade has a **** game, bangs them in all week in training and looks good in the system, 'definitely a player in there, maybe he'll hit it this week'. Ade has another **** game. Bangs them in again all week 'OK, he did infact look ****, but he really is looking good'. Ade has another **** game 'OK, straw that broke the camels back, it doesn't matter how he performs in training, he's not doing it on match days, can't play him anymore'.

Among about a million other variables that that fans can never understand as they aren't at training every day, I think that is what it boils down to.

Hopefully he kicks on with these core players now though.

Fair point, I do think that translates roughly to

Effort/attitude and natural fit into team setup wins over pure talent any day.

Apart from vlad at RB and mason who to be honest I hadn't really seen this is the team I had hoped Poch would start the season with. Why didn't he? I think there is two possibilities, 1 to buy some time with the fans. Kaboul and ade have a good following whereas verts and Soldado where being roundly pilloried. Only last week it was a pretty even split on here if they two should be sold or kept. 2 he was taking his time and assessing everyone and how they would fit into a system or what tweeks the system would need for the players to fit it.
there is a bit of me that thinks he's been very clever here. Imagine if Soldado had started the season and went 5/6 games without scoring with ade sat on the bench. It would have been melt down. So he throws ade in, if it works great, if it doesn't Soldado comes in and we are a little more patient because we know Ade isn't working out. The fact that Ade MAY now have burned his boats is an added bonus.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Apart from vlad at RB and mason who to be honest I hadn't really seen this is the team I had hoped Poch would start the season with. Why didn't he? I think there is two possibilities, 1 to buy some time with the fans. Kaboul and ade have a good following whereas verts and Soldado where being roundly pilloried. Only last week it was a pretty even split on here if they two should be sold or kept. 2 he was taking his time and assessing everyone and how they would fit into a system or what tweeks the system would need for the players to fit it.
there is a bit of me that thinks he's been very clever here. Imagine if Soldado had started the season and went 5/6 games without scoring with ade sat on the bench. It would have been melt down. So he throws ade in, if it works great, if it doesn't Soldado comes in and we are a little more patient because we know Ade isn't working out. The fact that Ade MAY now have burned his boats is an added bonus.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

I dont understand this way of thinking. Where do Kaboul and Ade have a good following, on Twitter? They get slated on here, and its not like at games fans are constantly singing their names. Same goes for Verts and Soldado,they get a bit of justified criticism on here and they certainly arent gitting 'pilloried' by the fans at matches, Soldado especially gets a lot of vocal support so not sure how you think this is a viable option.....

tumblr_mkjmnw8YjM1sn3776o1_1280.jpg

Back