• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

What were peoples +ive and -ives of Pochettinho?

+ives
  • He delivered. We were CL season in and out.
  • He gave us fight and determination
  • Insisted on professionalism and fitness
  • He was a great man-manager. Able to elevate players. Look at the number of his players that went from run of the mill to internationals. Adam Lalana, Rickie Lambert how did he polish such turd? (Will some of ours go the same way now?)
  • He had ethics. A smile on his face for the most part. And was pure emotion. Probably too much so.

-ives
  • With all that emotion, he needed to be more clinical. To demand that of the team. Less mood, feeling and more system.
  • He wasn't an elite attacking manager - he didn't get us moving, finishing or passing to an elite level (as say Guardiola would demand. Hard criticism as our players aren't as good etc.

Spurs is never boring. Maybe i was the most bored of Spurs I'd been for a long time. Levy is a canny genius. Maybe he was bored too. Now we have our soap opera back. I'm in for the ride.

What were peoples +ive and -ives of Pochettinho?

+ives
  • He delivered. We were CL season in and out.
  • He gave us fight and determination
  • Insisted on professionalism and fitness
  • He was a great man-manager. Able to elevate players. Look at the number of his players that went from run of the mill to internationals. Adam Lalana, Rickie Lambert how did he polish such turd? (Will some of ours go the same way now?)
  • He had ethics. A smile on his face for the most part. And was pure emotion. Probably too much so.

-ives
  • With all that emotion, he needed to be more clinical. To demand that of the team. Less mood, feeling and more system.
  • He wasn't an elite attacking manager - he didn't get us moving, finishing or passing to an elite level (as say Guardiola would demand. Hard criticism as our players aren't as good etc.

Spurs is never boring. Maybe i was the most bored of Spurs I'd been for a long time. Levy is a canny genius. Maybe he was bored too. Now we have our soap opera back. I'm in for the ride.

To sum it up simply, the negative was that the positives from the early years became optional rather than integral, I’ve seen it suggested we’ve lost our identity for firing Poch, I think we lost the identity of Poch’s team a long time ago, the press and the pace made us great, thats what teams couldn’t live with, we tried new systems and they were inferior. It’s easy to say it now, but if the system was changed because the players couldn’t handle it, we’d have been better off changing the players, either by replacing them, or more realistically, training them to a different physical template.

Really gutted about this decision and its sad to see it happen. I have seen all our managers since Sir Bill and Poch is in the top three without a doubt. Not going to say much more at this time as i am also angry at the decision and especially at some of the joy a few members are feeling at this time.

Looks like Jose could get the job and he is probably the best man for it.

To sum it up simply, the negative was that the positives from the early years became optional rather than integral, I’ve seen it suggested we’ve lost our identity for firing Poch, I think we lost the identity of Poch’s team a long time ago, the press and the pace made us great, thats what teams couldn’t live with, we tried new systems and they were inferior. It’s easy to say it now, but if the system was changed because the players couldn’t handle it, we’d have been better off changing the players, either by replacing them, or more realistically, training them to a different physical template.

I agree. When Real sack their manager and short list Poch, they'll be asking: is he a good coach for up and coming teams? Does he know how to get elite teams playing well? He wasn't able to make that transition with us.

There clearly was a point where Poch said, okay we're stepping up, we won't rely on the press anymore. To win things we need to be more than that. And we weren't ultimately. We were stuck in the middle. Neither good enough to dominate with passing, movement and finishing (say like City) or able to fight and close down like Sheffield United. That 1-1 game was fascinating because it showed how far we'd fallen. They were in our faces. The underdog giving us no room, running their hearts out, fighting for each other. We used to be that.

Poch wasn't able to get us playing well when our identity was 'entitled'. When we thought we'd arrived, we lost our edge. We needed to retain a sense of fight and determination and prove ourselves. As Poch tried to turn us into a more svelt side, he lost something there is no doubt. But he was mighty close.

I was writing this a few days ago, but never posted it :

There's more to this than meats, sorry, meets the eye here imo. If Poch truly thought he can't do the turnaround without some things happening, and has said so to Levy, then it is a numbers game. BUT if Poch truly believes we need to keep going and we can get out of this, but needs time, then it's up to Levy whether he buys into this.

Recent talks between the two/board must have been along the lines of what needed to happen, expectations, timelines and some things just couldn't be done/agreed on. Poch is financially compensated, very well i understand from what I have read. So bookies rates getting slashed, all those articles coming out over the last couple of days were bang on.

My word, I'm still reeling, but at the back of my mind, this was a possibility, just not one i wanted to happen. Thanks for the memories Poch, good luck.

Back