• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

When Jol was sacked, something in me died, and my relationship with the club and with football was never the same.

I feel worse today - immeasurably f.ucking so. And nothing about this club will feel quite the same to me again.

A dream died today, and a good man was pushed onto his sword because of people above him deciding he wasn't worth the effort. After five long years where he believed we *were* worth the effort, when the biggest clubs in the world meant nothing to him because he had given us his word.

In the end, we pushed him out, after five years where he stayed despite everyone in football clinging at him, trying to pull him away from us.

So, as with that haunting evening in 2007 when we let another good man go... au revoir to our manager and our leader. The man who deserved better.

Au revoir, Mauricio Pochettino.

Tottenham loves you more than you will ever f.ucking know.
Thanks mate says it perfectly for me. Feel absolutely gutted.

Mourinho would be a disastrous appointment. Two years of chaos and destruction.

We need another young manager with a long term view to continue building our culture and standards.

Nagelsmann (bringing Werner, Brandt, Havertz) for 5+ years is about the only idea I can stomach at this point.

We're on the 2-3 year merry-go-round of the same old managers like the rest of them now - we showed that when push comes to shove we don't have the bottle for a long-term appointment.

Thinking back to the start of the season when Durham said Mopo wanted to walk before a ball was kicked and how that is starting to look to have some truth to it.

Did Levy decide then his time was up and was looking for the next man?

Are the results just an easy out for everyone?

Lavy is not one to sit on his hands, is he? Can't blame him either.

The concern is these are Poch players. Some of them may not reach the heights under other managers. But, I guess we needed a change.

Personally I would have got behind Poch - if he wanted to stay. The new stadium effect is a statistical fact. The players who are running down contacts and not part of the core team now is further mitigation. Levy had found a gem. Football is a soap opera. Never dull at Spurs, and I suppose it is better to act now than in a year or a few months.

Poch is, without doubt, the best Spurs manager in my memory.

Fair play man, you called this earlier than the rest of us and when it was very, very hard to articulate the things you were thinking because of the euphoria around the CL run.

I'm sure you're not taking any pleasure from this but your posts from April/May are a very good example of why people should be encouraged to articulate their thoughts, no matter how much they run against the grain, as long as they do so respectfully.

thank you so much for that, it’s fair to say I wasn’t always respectful but there was a fair old amount of provocation...

I let myself down with certain rants and spats with other posters on here.

I regret that...

it’s not the time for ‘i told you so’s but a time to be thankful for a manager who progressed us and gave us some wonderful times.

but here we are and we must make a good appointment and ALL band together however you felt about poch.

sadly I see people for and against poch are not being respectful to each other...

those like me that wanted this need to take the time to thank poch, those that wanted him to stay need to accept this and move on.

Thanks mate says it perfectly for me. Feel absolutely gutted.

I did see the original on this. And yeah, about a 6 weeks ago, I was massively tinkled at him because of the brick he was spouting in the press. He reigned that in a bit and I think if you look at my posts since RSB at home, I've been massively conflicted but wanted him to have the season if that's what he wanted.

Either way, I'm very sad about it. He gave me a lot of pride and pleasure over the last 5 years. It gives me absolutely no joy to see him gone. Even though it was inevitable, I think it's a desperately sad day.

When Jol was sacked, something in me died, and my relationship with the club and with football was never the same.

I feel worse today - immeasurably f.ucking so. And nothing about this club will feel quite the same to me again.

A dream died today, and a good man was pushed onto his sword because of people above him deciding he wasn't worth the effort. After five long years where he believed we *were* worth the effort, when the biggest clubs in the world meant nothing to him because he had given us his word.

In the end, we pushed him out, after five years where he stayed despite everyone in football clinging at him, trying to pull him away from us.

So, as with that haunting evening in 2007 when we let another good man go... au revoir to our manager and our leader. The man who deserved better.

Au revoir, Mauricio Pochettino.

Tottenham loves you more than you will ever f.ucking know.

perfectly articulated.

for all the nonsense of ‘he said he was going to leave’ the fact is, he didn’t. Not when the biggest club in the world came calling. Not when the United job was open and everyone was talking him into it.

the only thing a club like ours, in that moment in time, had to trade on is loyalty. The idea that you are building something special. Something that can’t be replicated, something that’s never been done before. That’s the thing we played on to keep him with us when it would have thrown us deeply in the bricker. And Poch went for it.

levy has done what he feels is best for the club, of course. And maybe now the feeling is, with the new stadium, we can always climb our way back. We don’t need loyalty any more. Whichever manager it is doesn’t matter as long as the infrastructure is right and Levy keeps making the right decisions.

but that’s a really risky line to take. United have all the revenue they need, and it hasn’t done them any good. Liverpool have been the one of the biggest names in football and had numerous reboots, but they spent years out of the limelight. Arsenal have had a modern stadium for years and we overtook them.

Levy has always been able to trade off on the fact that over the mid to long term, each decision has yielded progress. Progress for us now is to firmly establish ourselves on City and Liverpool’s current level. If we don’t, and we slide back into merely being a top 6 club, or worse (given the upstarts like Leicester and Everton who can make plays), then we’ve let a good man go for nothing.

I’ve always trusted Levy to do the right thing in the name of the club’s long term progression. I think he’s always been smarter than the people employed - better in his field than they are in theirs. But with this one, I think Poch is equally as good if not better a Manager than he is a Chairman. It’s why we over achieved so consistently. I’m not sure this is such a guarantee of upward progress as the board may think it is.

The diamond has played a massive part in this sacking imo.

That absurd system escalated and bought to the fore player issues, poch’s own personal mental tiredness issues and in turn would have led to a strain with Levy.

I warned long and hard that there would be consequences with that system - indirect yes but a major contributor nonetheless as it has cost us at least 10 points across the PL and CL.

If Mourinho comes I am expecting him to achieve a 5th place finish, CL semi final and win the fa cup.

Poch should take a sabbatical now - he both looks like he needs it and certainly deserves a well earned rest.

We all should love him but we must now get behind the new man, even if thats the marmite figure of Mourinho.

Get behind him, if it doesnt work we can simply sack him - COYS
I disagree completely. We have ditched the diamond and got worse.

I hope there’s a huge round of “He’s magic, you know” against Olympiakos. (And on Saturday).

I did appreciate Levy’s comment about Poch and team always being welcome at WHL, it gives an inkling of his personal respect for Poch.

The whole thing feels wrong though.

I wonder what the players are feeling.

Fair play man, you called this earlier than the rest of us and when it was very, very hard to articulate the things you were thinking because of the euphoria around the CL run.

I'm sure you're not taking any pleasure from this but your posts from April/May are a very good example of why people should be encouraged to articulate their thoughts, no matter how much they run against the grain, as long as they do so respectfully.

And I say this with the grief of this sacking heavy upon me, as a man who wanted @Nigeyman to be wrong -

Everyone on this board who dogpiled him earlier this year, calling him names and saying he wasn't a Spurs fan - have a fudging think about what you were actually doing back then.

It was wrong then, it is wrong now, and it will always be wrong to cast aspersions on a fellow Spurs fan because he says something against the damn groupthink. Whatever the cause. Nigey was a fan in times far darker than today's, and he spoke out because he cared. That you saw fit to dogpile him for it is out of fudging line.

Those who wanted Poch to leave, better not ever mention 'player loyalty'!
He's basically been sacked because of squad issues that Poch himself warned about at least two years ago, but the club has failed to rectify.

And I say this with the grief of this sacking heavy upon me, as a man who wanted @Nigeyman to be wrong -

Everyone on this board who dogpiled him earlier this year, calling him names and saying he wasn't a Spurs fan - have a fudging think about what you were actually doing back then.

It was wrong then, it is wrong now, and it will always be wrong to cast aspersions on a fellow Spurs fan because he says something against the damn groupthink. Whatever the cause. Nigey was a fan in times far darker than today's, and he spoke out because he cared. That you saw fit to dogpile him for it is out of fudging line.

tenor.gif

;)

'rash'?

You've seen our form since Jan?

I know the fork is embarrassing and well below what we’d except but the way I see it a great number of players felt quite a while ago that they’d like to move. They stopped giving their all early on but a bit of luck In the CL group stage and an easy draw against a Dortmund team who played bleep below par saw us in the knockouts. Then a bit more luck and suddenly they think it’s their chance to sign off with the big one.

In the final they aren’t good enough as a squad to beat Liverpool and all play mediocrely with Kane injured.

Then said contingent all anticipate getting away. In the end only Trippier does. Said contingent don’t want to be here and so only show up when the opposition are below PL standard and even then not always.

Maybe before Tripps leave something happens to create a rift.

It happens. Maybe now someone like Mourinho would have the history to back up in the squads mind our ambition.

But either way the situation was a brick one which couldn’t be controlled except by Levy.

Signing on a dozen at the same time seemed great at the time but we didn’t anticipate they’d see the end date as their leave dates.

Poch did great at getting us so far with so little. He at least deserved the chance to be able to reinvest the money he’s earnt over the last 5 years over the next 2 or 3.

The one season we give him a portion back to spend an adequate sum we’re kicking him out in November when 2 of the 3 signings have barely kicked a ball due to injury or lack in fitness and settling in.

Thanks Dubai, never forget a large part of me wanted to be wrong, truly...

I did see the original on this. And yeah, about a 6 weeks ago, I was massively tinkled at him because of the brick he was spouting in the press. He reigned that in a bit and I think if you look at my posts since RSB at home, I've been massively conflicted but wanted him to have the season if that's what he wanted.

Either way, I'm very sad about it. He gave me a lot of pride and pleasure over the last 5 years. It gives me absolutely no joy to see him gone. Even though it was inevitable, I think it's a desperately sad day.
Sorry mate was just very emotional tonight. Posted by mistake. Realised it was better to say nothing.

The only way i can justify it is if during the meetings recently Poch has made it clear he doesn't have the desire to turn it around here - otherwise it's a horrendous decision

I agree. :(

Levy does have more insight than we do. Lost the dressing room catchphrase springs to mind. We won't know the mood in training. Or Poch's mood. We also don't have to make millions in repayments to a bank, with CL a windfall.

But I'm gutted, he was the best manager we have had, and will not be easy to replace.

Last edited:
Sorry mate was just very emotional tonight. Posted by mistake. Realised it was better to say nothing.

No offence taken mate. I did lay into Poch for a couple of weeks so have no problem with someone calling that. But genuinely, I'm gutted it's come to this and we lost a man who, for a long time, I couldn't imagine our club being without.

Back