• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Match ratings against man u

My ratings are very positive as a reward for the team effort. I thought we we fantastic today. We missed Sandro but we never gave up, we kept our cool, we kept serious at the back aswell.

And we were unlucky not to score before. Defoe should have had two or three today.

Lloris -6.5 could do nothing about the goal, one or two wayward clearances, but overall he was a spectator.

Walker -6 he had to get closer to RvP for their goal but not too bad overall.
Dawson -6.5 marshalled the defence well.
Caulker -6.5 stayed strong and focused.
Naughton -6.5 not too bad overall.

Lennon -8.5 MotM never stopped running, constant thorn in Evra's side.
Parker -7.5 drove the team forward, worked tirelessly for the team.
Dembele -7 disciplined performance, kept his shape.
Bale -7 looked better when BAE came on, tried valiantly to get into the game.

Dempsey -7.5 worked tirelessly for the team, deserved his goal.
Defoe -7 worked tirelessly for the team, deserved a goal.

Subs:

BAE -6.5 provided balance to the team, enabled Bale to be more effective.
Huddlestone -6 not to bad overall.

AVB -8.5 overall a good tactical effort; I cannot remember the last time I saw a United team hanging on at WHL and a Tottenham team throwing everything but the kitchen sink at them. The fact that Lloris was a spectator and all of the front 6 get 7 and above speaks volumes?

Fans -7.5 subdued at times, but got behind the team when it was needed.

Lloris 6 - Should have done better for their goal. Though he didn't have a chance to get a much higher rating elsewhere.

Walker 5.5 - Not such a bad performance, he just seemed to switch off for their goal which as a defender you just can't do.
Dawson 7 - Did decently.
Caulker 6 - Did decently, however should have conceded a penalty. Fortunate.
Naughton 6 - played alright. Looks uncomfortable on the left though.

Lennon 8 - Did very well. Played well forward and backwards.
Parker 6 - Good defensive duties, however lacking going forwards. Shouldn't take shots from distance.
Dembele -7 More like his usual self than the QPR performance.
Bale 6.5 - Got a bit involved, flashes of brilliance and unlucky not to score when drilling the ball through the crowd in the box.

Defoe 5 - Poor. Didn't get involved and Took far too long when he did get a decent chance. Shoots on sight from silly angles.
Dempsey 7 - Got the goal. Played decently, but should have had a second.

Bae - 6 - Not on for long, but looked better at LB. provided the cross that led to the goal.

Last edited:
On Nevilles argument - Would anyone rate Dempsey down for not going down for the pen and getting Evra sent off?

Would it have been cheating if he went down? He was fouled after all - a challenge went in on Dempseys path the challenge didnt get the ball and Dempseys momentum was affected hence the shot straight at the keeper.

I wouldnt have blamed him if he went down. Lets face it if they went down to ten men we may have won and those extra two points may have contributed to a fourth place finish. Imagine the same situation last season. We would be in CL now and no one would be complaining.

As for ratings

Dawson played well
Parker was excellent
Lennon a genius
Dempsey was very good second half
Defoe whilst not scoring did get in the positions
Bale wasnt great but his mere presence meant Lennon had tonnes of space
BAE was poor but his first PL game back so wont at all have a go

just finished watching the game. Went to BBC website straight after and couldn't believe the report, but totally agreed with AVB's post match comments (check them out), then came on here and went straight to this thread, can't quite believe some of these ratings ! We had 60% possession against them, about 15 shots to their 4, we totally dingdonged them 2nd half (constant flow of chances about every 5 minutes we created a decent opportunity) and 1st half was pretty even.

I wonder if people just expect us to have 90% possession and 4 times as many shots as the oppo despite who they are, Barca could turn up and people would still be slating us if we didn't win despite a similar performance !

lloris 6.5 distribution was poor today (+.5 for playing the sweeper keeper role so well, just stops chances before they even happen, massively undervalued by far too many unfortunately, no doubt AVB and his fellow players understand it though)

Walker 6.5 quiet
Dawson 7
Caulker 7
Naughton 6.5

Lennon 9
Dembele 8.5
Parker 7.5
Bale6

Dempsey 7.5
Defoe 7

The sum of the parts was better than individuals today

One of the really heartening and impressive things for me is the team ethos, the workrate. We missed loads of chances, several times I was sure we would score but we didn't -- and despite this, the team KEPT ON GOING for the equaliser.

Great point, shame MOTD was all about the "penalty" on Rooney - typical Sir Alex deflecting from their performance by criticising the lino.

Too many people playing FM. We dominated Manchester United, a team the equivalent of Barcelona and Real Madrid. Champions elect of the EPL. I'd give all of the them an 8, and that's only cause we didn't win, could have been 9's.

Come on Guys what did you expect ffs!

One of the really heartening and impressive things for me is the team ethos, the workrate. We missed loads of chances, several times I was sure we would score but we didn't -- and despite this, the team KEPT ON GOING for the equaliser.

Great point, shame MOTD was all about the "penalty" on Rooney - typical Sir Alex deflecting from their performance by criticising the lino.

Agreed completely. That MOTD was an effing disgrace, as per usual, barely gave us any credit for our performance, which, as you said, was excellent.

Anyways onto more positive things:

Lloris: 6. Generally very solid, love the sweeper keeper moments... for their goal, I'm undecided. Ultimately it's a great header from RvP, but if you watch Lloris' movement carefully he's moving across his goal but stops someway short of the post RvP is nearest (presumably covering any header returned back across goal). If he'd carried on he might have saved it. I'm nitpicking perhaps, but I don't think he's faultless.

Walker - 6. Overall solid from Walker IMO, although again he definitely has to shoulder some of the blame for their goal, he definitely got slightly sucked in and lost RvP, then was in completely the wrong position to deal with it. Some good recoveries and challenges though, plus adventurous going forward
Dawson - 7. Pretty solid game from Daws IMO.
Caulker - 6.5. Mostly the same as Daws, but a couple of slightly hesitant moments. Penalty incident was a 50-50 call IMO... not stonewall like Old Whiskey Nose reckons
Naughton - 6. Some really poor distribution (several aimless and misguided long balls), but otherwise quite solid, untroubled defensively. Only problem is he gives us no balance due to being placed out of position, which is unfortunate and not his fault per se...

Lennon - 8.5. Really good from Azza. Gave Evra a torrid time with his pace and skill, took him to the cleaners on more than one occasion. Several key piercing passes, some good crosses, and a well deserved assist too (and should have had two, as JD should have banged in at least one of his two chances created from a Lennon pass). MOTM.
Dembele - 8. Solid first half... superb second half. Won countless duels, intercepted a sh!t load, beat people for fun as per usual... highlight was his graceful slalom through the heart of Manure defense to set up Dempsey.
Parker - 7. Solid return to the first team - worked well with Dembele, lots of good defensive work, largely calm on the ball although it is noticeable his offensive play isn't the best.
Bale - 6. Quiet most of the game from Bale, struggled against tactics clearly designed to limit his impact on the game. Had no space, was double or tripled marked all the time, then resorted to coming inside more and more as the game went on. Good shot forcing good save, one great cross (which JD completely failed to attack, infuriatingly), occasional glimmer, nothing more.

Dempsey - 8. Industrious, a threat, got the key goal, nearly (and should have) got another one on at least a couple of occasions. Like this guy's attitude and game intelligence, although long-term he isn't creative enough for the positon he takes up in our team.
Defoe - 6.5. Not JD's best, although he was a threat at times and should have scored at least once. Struggled to get into the game at times (not that many touches?), showing why against top teams he isn't the long term answer as a lone CF... but we knew that already.

BAE - 6. Looked a bit rusty, although some nice cameo moments... and he gave us balance/width out on the left again... good testing ball for our goal! Glad to have him back.

Lloris 6 - Suspect for the goal though I think van P didn't really intend to put it there judging by his movement and reaction after the goal.

Walker 7 - did well to nullify Wellback, cutting out a few crucial crosses

Dawson 6 - managed to pass the ball quite well but he needed to be the leader and old-head out there and showed that he couldn't.

Caulker 6 - didn't think it was a penalty but didn't think it was a great performance. didn't looked very settled of confident throughout, might be the snow, might have been dawson.

Naughton 6 - good performance from a young guy learning his trade, but still a step away from what a settled LB can do

Lennon 8 - Turned up and expoited space very well. Very determined and very positive play right to the end. MOTM.

Parker 6 - Very rusty, won some tackles but gave away posession alot, and poor first touch.

Dembele 7 - this guy is close to world class if not already there.

Bale 6 - tried to get involved but shrewdly denied by fergie having 2-3 men on him constantly.

Defoe 5 - the goals don't lie but neither do the stats: effective goal scorer but very inefficient too. we need better to challenge for top 4.

Dempsey 7 - like lennon hard work and very determined and very positive right to the end. puts his body on the line and attracts all kinds of fouls for us.

Bae - now that's a proper LB ... also helped out across the defence and looked good going forwards; showing a good brain not to keep passing the ball to bale seeing its a dead-end there, searching cross was really threatening to find dawson's head had de gea not get a weak hand to it. that's another way to unlock defences. 7 for the time he was on and the promise of better supply up front.

FFS do some people live in the real world? We had 57% possession against manure! Yes - f****** 57%. They had one decent chance all game which was converted by their outstanding world class forward. United played an excellent game and none of their players were poor. We continued to press until the last minute and scored in the 93rd minute. We gave them a taste of their own medicine...

And your GRIPE! And MOAN! And give scores of 4.5 and 5!!!! Go get a life!!

What a bunch of pathetic misguided ****####!!!!!

fudging sweet...\o/

Lloris - 6.5

Walker - 6
Caulker - 7
Dawson - 7
Naughton - 6

Lennon - 8
Dembele - 7.5
Parker - 7
Bale - 6

Defoe - 5
Demspey - 7.5

BAE - 5

Although not on for long, Huddlestone played a significant role in securing our point yesterday.
For the short time he was on, suddenly a foot on the ball and a head up looking for a pass meant we were able to continue to pressurise United in the last few minutes. AVB was absolutely right to start Parker, but he also got it right bringing on Hudd when we needed greater attacking options.

Lloris -6.5 nothing to do really.

Walker -5.5 he does not get forward as much nowdays also at fault for their goal.
Dawson -6.5 massive heart.
Caulker -6.5 done ok also a big threat at our set pieces.
Naughton -6 I like Naughton but hes not a left back.

Lennon -8.5 mom simply excellent.
Parker -7 good, he tries to make the difference going forward but it never seems to come off.
Dembele -7 second half excellent, when Parker went off he showed how good he is defensively.
Bale -6 worked hard but Utd shackled him by fair or foul methods.

Dempsey -7.5 I like Dempsey he scores the important goals.
Defoe -6 worked hard but this guy just dont do it for me.

Subs:

BAE -6
Huddlestone -7 we looked a lot better when he came on, had plenty of room and used it well.

AVB -8 timed his subs perfectly, could not have done more.

Lloris 5,5 - Should have done better for the goal I thought. Positioned himself too central in the goal. Otherwise nothing to do.

Walker 6 - Failed to pick up van Persie for the goal. Gave away possession a couple of tiems in dangerous positions on the first half. Rescued by his pace a few times and decent one against one defensively.

Dawson 7 - Good, solid performance. When United only have one clearcut goalscoring opportunity in a game, you have to be happy with the defending.

Caulker 7 - Same as Dawson, really. One very dangerous misplaced pass in the first half, but otherwise fine. I don't think it was a penalty myself. Rooney kicked the back of Caulker's leg and fouled himself the way I saw it.

Naughton 7 - Thought he did well. Defensively he reads the game well. Don't think he was at fault for the goal at all. He had to tuck in to cover centrally and was therefore far away from Cleverley when he crossed. One amazing crossfield pass that lead to Lennon's chance in the first half. Sometimes, him lacking a left foot interupts our attacking rhythm though.

Lennon 8,5 - Got better and better as the game wore on really. He always works extremely hard for the team, and in this game he was also a creative force. HE really should have slipped Demspey in for an easy chance when he took that shot on in the first half though. Strange to see really, cause he is normally such an unselfish player, and passes even when he should have shot himself. But he got the assist in the end, and should have had another for Defoe.

Parker 6,5 - Worked hard, but on the ball he wasn't that great. He tends to run with the ball into blind alleys, and his passing was also a bit sloppy at times. Not bad at all overall though.

Dembele 8 - Thought he was back at his best today. In the second half especially he owned the midfield. Strong physically and in the tackle, never gives away possession, and his work to set up Dempsey chance early in the second half was outstanding.

Bale 6,5 - A rather quiet game today. Neat and tidy in possession, but rarely managed to make a run on anyone. A couple of good attempts on goal though.

Dempsey 7,5 - He always works hard for the team, and lately he has also been better on the ball. Should have scored earlier, but at least he got the job done in the end.

Defoe 6 - Seems to lack confidence at the moment. Needed too much time when he got his big chance to score, and his overall game wasn't too impressive either.

BAE 5,5 - Looked very rusty, although that is understandable. Not easy to come on in the game like this after a lenghty lay-off. Off the pace and poor on the ball. His cross lead to our goal though.

Huddlestone -

Lloris 6 - Could he have a bit better with the goal? I'm not too sure, but redundant for large parts of this game which is amazing considering the opposition.

Walker 7 - I've revised my score on him after watching the game a second time. He used the ball quite well for the most part and had a few vital interceptions mainly due to his pace. People are focusing on the goal but after watching it a few times there were a number of small mistakes from other players leading up to the goal, which resulted in him being drawn out of position by the time the cross came it. It was also a superb header by RVP too.
Dawson 8 - Still a bit to keen to go long when a short option is on, but marshalled our defence superbly and restricted utd to a meagre 4 shots all game.
Caulker 7 - A few shaky moments I remember and maybe should have done a bit better with some of the set pieces but as with Dawson we looked solid defensively all game. I think it was a pen aswell.
Naughton -6 He's done better in this position, but ultimately he does not offer natural width that Benny does.

Lennon 8 - Megged Evra. Ha.
Parker 8 - I though he got forward a little too much today, which is strange to say but I do like my DM's to be a DM first and foremost. And to be honest nothing ever seems to come from his forward forays anyway. Good overall.
Dembele -8 For me the best player on the park after a poor outing the last time. I love his quick changes of direction
Bale 7 - He had some good moments which nearly resulted in goals - deflected shot, outside of the boot over the bar, cross across the six yard box, but not his day today. Kept possession well.

Dempsey 8 - Looks a different player to the one we saw at the start of the season. Good game capped with a goal.
Defoe 7 - Going through a lean streak but made the right moves today. They'll start going in again soon.

Subs:

BAE 6 - Helped with our shape but defensively he was all over the place. An added mark for the cross but for me was our worst player on the day.
Huddlestone 7 - One horror pass aside he did well and helped us recycle possession well.

Foy - gobbrick.

Last edited:
Strange one this, we played extremely well and dominated the best team in the country, but only a few players worthy of any great praise IMO.

Lloris - 5 - Hardly anything to do apart from the goal, which he conceded at his near post

Walker - 6 - Reasonably solid, but lost RVP for the goal

Dawson - 7 - Very good in defence, but loses a mark for a few careless passes

Caulker - 6 - Also pretty solid, but should have given away a penalty so loses a mark too

Naughton - 5 - Wasn't having a good game, a few careless passes and lost Cleverly for the goal

Lennon - 9 - How has he only won once against Man Utd? Another outstanding performance against them, full of energy and they really struggled to deal with his pace. He created numerous chances and got the assist in the last minute. MOTM

Dembele - 8 - Who said he'd be worse without Sandro? Solid first half, absolutely bossed the second. Great show.

Parker - 7 - Lots of industry, hard work and an eagerness to get forward. Lack of technical ability let him down in the final third though.

Bale - 6 - Struggled for time and space on the ball but managed to come close with a couple of decent efforts on goal

Dempsey - 6 - Had been quite frustrated him with him, as despite his work rate, he'd missed some good chances, was slowing our play down too much in the final third and was showing a lack of creativity. I wanted him to come off for Sigurdsson. But, once again, he was in the right place at the right time against Man Utd to win us the points. The finish was better than he was given credit for, as he got it in the corner when it was coming at him at pace and there were men on the line, not as easy as it looked.

Defoe - 5 - This is Jermain Defoe in the second half of a season. Should have scored that chance Rio blocked and was largely ineffective for much of the game

Subs:

Assou-Ekotto - 4 - Very rusty, too many hoofed balls upfield with no aim or purpose which is something I cannot forgive. Would have been even lower if it hadn't been for the cross that led to the goal

Huddlestone - 6 - Little time but made some good passes

AVB - 8 - Good job from him yesterday. A team performance greater than the sum of its parts is always a good thing. BAE played badly but the substitution gave us additional width and was correct as Naughton was having a bad game. Bringing off Parker for Huddlestone was a big gamble as we didn't have a proper DM on the pitch, but his extra creativity helped keep the pressure on Utd who eventually cracked. I would have slagged him off for not taking of Dempsey for Sigurdsson, as we could have done with Gylfi's creativity in the final third to unlock the stubborn Man Utd defence, but with Dempsey's last minute goal his decision was justified (partly). Good show.

Back