• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Match ratings against evertooon

Ridiculous markings. AVB 9 - are you watching the same game as the rest of us. His tactics were barking. His substitutions were madness. He ceded the initiative and once again invited Everton to take the points with his negativity. He doesnt seem to learn this tactic just doesnt work with our mentality.

i just heard the stat that we would be TOP if the games ended at 80 minutes. That is all down to the management, tactics, training, menality, substitutions, free kick and corner incompetence. Who would you say is responsible for that lot?

You're going to have to explain that rather than just saying it. Which tactics were barking, why were his subs madness and how is he being negative? Do you want him to bring Townsend and Falque on for Gallas and Caulker?

Well modric did have great movement but there are nine other outfield players. I saw Modric as the passer so its the others that need to run around a bit. Anyways we do desperately miss him - he was the heart beat.

Moutinho it is in all seriousness.

Werent people on here suggesting that Dembele was brought to replace Modric? No way. We need a Moutinho. Dembele is a ball carrier but not a modric. Moutinho is a modric.

You can't just drop Dembele though.

Would go for a midfield three of Dembele, Sandro and Moutinho, however if we go 4-3-3 where the feck was Dempsey/Sig signed for?

Werent people on here suggesting that Dembele was brought to replace Modric? No way. We need a Moutinho. Dembele is a ball carrier but not a modric. Moutinho is a modric.

I saw with my own eyes a team with Modric lose at Goodison park last season, he didn't exactly inspire us to greatness that game and there plenty of brick results/performances with him on the pitch when he wasn't head and shoulders above the rest. In that game We also had Bale, King, Kaboul, Benny and Rafa on the pitch. On paper that team is much better quality and yet we were much much closer to coming away with a result today. It's frustrating as hell that we're conceding so much late on and our footballing ability seems to completely disappear and we panic with the ball but it's not a dreadful situation we find ourselves in league wise and as said, there's such a fine line with results, if Siggy's shot was an inch or two lower etc etc

I still don't get the Moutinho obsession, I am not sure you can know if he is worth throwing 25m+ at if you've not seen him play regularly in the Portugese league, and I haven't. There's got to be more realistic options available.

Ridiculous markings. AVB 9 - are you watching the same game as the rest of us. His tactics were barking. His substitutions were madness. He ceded the initiative and once again invited Everton to take the points with his negativity. He doesnt seem to learn this tactic just doesnt work with our mentality.

i just heard the stat that we would be TOP if the games ended at 80 minutes. That is all down to the management, tactics, training, menality, substitutions, free kick and corner incompetence. Who would you say is responsible for that lot?

I wouldnt bother responding to that sort of shockingly bias brick any more. Its obvious everything that happened on the pitch under the previous manager was his fault, while everything that happens now is the players fault.

It's as if he picks the team and thats all his job is. Right team selection... thats AVBs job done! Forget tactics, performances, substitutions and in-game touchline instructions.... because thats not in AVBs job description according to some people.

Our performances aren't great so you have to look at tactics, but the other thing is closing games out. Some managers just know how to win and are on the touchline shouting simple but effective instructions. I'm not surprised though, AVB is probably one of the most inexperienced managers ever in the PL... no professional career as a player and very little coaching/managerial experience. People point to Mourinho as someone who had a similar path, but this is an exception and he was older and more experienced when he went to Chelsea.

Its a bit ridiculous to constantly shift the blame from the manager, but I wouldnt mind half as much if this was consistent with their comments under previous managers... but not only did they not do this with previous managers, they did the opposite and blame him for stuff clearly out of his control (or the classic listing 1-offs as if they were normal).

Last edited:
Lloris 7
Walker 7
Gallas 6 - expected more from the most experienced defender of our team, like giving instructions to a youngling like Caulker
Caulker 5.5 - a mistake is a mistake, but he is still young and hope he will learn
Vertonghen 6.5 - moved forward a few times to provide support
Lennon 6.5 - he is tricky to rate, he helped elsewhere on the park but was not effective going forward, also dispossessed a few times
Sandro 7.5 - up against the monster Fellaini (how many aerial duels he won?), and though could not completely kept him quiet, it's still a fairly good job
Dembele 7
Dempsey 7.25 - nice job going forward but for the first time of the season, I wished we have another midfielder to hold possession vs. their 4-5-1
Ade 5.5 - another tricky case, I wanted to give him higer marks, but thought there were a few turnovers, and have to check out whoscored data.
Defoe 5 - no goal, no good rating but it would be an injustice to rate him lower still.

Hudd 6 - he did what he could.
Sigurdsson 6 - could have been a hero, but other than that attempt hard to recall what else he contributed.

I won't exactly give AVB a 9, but I do think he should be about a 7.
http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/61...nd-Premier-League-2012-2013-Everton-Tottenham

Last edited:
You're going to have to explain that rather than just saying it. Which tactics were barking, why were his subs madness and how is he being negative? Do you want him to bring Townsend and Falque on for Gallas and Caulker?

Well, simply put... we weren't very good, we took a undeserved lead, 3 of our best players this season (Lennon, Defoe, Dembele) go off, we got even worse and then they scored 2 goals in injury time. Quite a few things which normally point to the manager there, but it doesnt have to be his fault... only problem is that seems to be a very regular set of events this season.

The times when you sort of say "ok we lost but the manager couldnt have done a lot more" are the occasions where you play really well, have 20 shots on goal but just one of those days when nothing goes in. Even easier to say it if the team has been playing really well during most games.

AVB a 9 is a joke...the substitutions were arrogant and the lack of concentration and discipline in the team is down to him also...totally gutted today and could sense the equaliser coming as we thought we were just going to keep the ball and run down the clock for the last 7 mins or so.

Walkers ratings are way too high also...pinnear was his man and he lost him !

That said..We need Bale,benny, kaboul and dawson back asap!!

Well, simply put... we weren't very good, we took a undeserved lead, 3 of our best players this season (Lennon, Defoe, Dembele) go off, we got even worse and then they scored 2 goals in injury time. Quite a few things which normally point to the manager there, but it doesnt have to be his fault... only problem is that seems to be a very regular set of events this season.

The times when you sort of say "ok we lost but the manager couldnt have done a lot more" are the occasions where you play really well, have 20 shots on goal but just one of those days when nothing goes in. Even easier to say it if the team has been playing really well during most games.

I think we should not wear the old party hat when trying to analyse yesterday's game.

We still have Dempsey and Adebayor on the field despite taking off Lennon and Defoe. Lennon wasn't able to penetrate and his contribution for the game was mostly in other areas of the game. So, even you think it's undeserved, but if you look it from another angle, it could also be the result of the sub to put on Hudd has worked and gave us the lead plus what could be a game-ending second goal.

Dembele, I am not too sure, some said he was subbed cause he didn't look fit to continue. But that's might be the reason AVB subsequently took out an ineffective Defoe and replaced him with another midfielder to have more options in the midfield.

So, Lennon was subbed for tactical reason, whether the goal was a direct result or not, it didn't hurt us. Dembele's sub might be an enforced one, and we could have gone two up. Defoe was a calculated gamble since we were not as toothless as earlier in the season in that we still have Ade (who is supposedly the tall striker in our short-tall strike due) and Dempsey (who scored and also had a generally better game to Defoe, and had played most of the season as a second striker).

Well, it's not exactly AVB's fault that he could not utilise Dawson/Kaboul/BAE/Parker to consolidate a winning lead. At least I could see logics behind most of his team selection and subs, unlike a previous manager.

Had you argue about the style of play was not as entertaining, I would think you have a point. But I think a win or even a hard fought point can always be counted as a good result after a mid-week game (in fact, most of the team have played 7 club games in 3 weeks) regardless of how ugly it came.

Hudd himself ended up with shocking stats today. 58% passing success for a player brought on to keep possession.

The sample size is small, he only attempted 12 passes, and half of the time the team was defending deep. And to be fair, he also has one or two nice passes/throughballs, including the one in the build-up of our goal.

To keep possession, would be better to have someone to dribble and bring the ball up into the opponent's half. This may be a mentality change required but we also don't have players of such ability

Last edited:
I saw with my own eyes a team with Modric lose at Goodison park last season, he didn't exactly inspire us to greatness that game and there plenty of brick results/performances with him on the pitch when he wasn't head and shoulders above the rest. In that game We also had Bale, King, Kaboul, Benny and Rafa on the pitch. On paper that team is much better quality and yet we were much much closer to coming away with a result today. It's frustrating as hell that we're conceding so much late on and our footballing ability seems to completely disappear and we panic with the ball but it's not a dreadful situation we find ourselves in league wise and as said, there's such a fine line with results, if Siggy's shot was an inch or two lower etc etc

I still don't get the Moutinho obsession, I am not sure you can know if he is worth throwing 25m+ at if you've not seen him play regularly in the Portugese league, and I haven't. There's got to be more realistic options available.

Redknapp played him out the left wing for 70 minutes in that game.
Our central midfield duo was Sandro and Parker.
Bale was stuck out the right and Rafa only came on at the end when in typical Redknapp fashion he finally stumbled upon the formation he should have started with.

Lloris - 8 - I thought he was good. Superb save in the second half and in all honesty couldn't do nothing with either goals.

Walker - 6.5 - He seems to be getting back to his best but today he was poor. In fact our whole right side was, constantly getting beat and letting crosses into the box. Wasn't one of his better games from recent weeks.

Gallas - 7 - In my opinion he wasn't bad at all today, probably our best defender. Crucial blocks, organizing the defence and didn't really give away much like he usually does, for a 35 year old that isn't bad.

Caulker - 6.5 - I am one of his biggest fans but to not listen to Lloris call again is flimflam at this level. No idea why he hasn't learnt from the mistake. I hope Lloris gave him a right gonad*ing at the time and after the game, school boy errors costing us 3 points.

Vertonghen - 6.5 - Can't really say much other than he isn't a full back. Dempsey and Defoe both did there best to help Verts out defensively, yes DEFOE! Great on the ball, yes. But when it comes to bossing the whole left there is only one man for that job.

Lennon - 5 - Very poor game from him just couldn't get in it at all. Got Baines booked but only really due to the fact he is quicker than him. Didn't ONCE attack the defence and gave the ball away in stupid positions at times.

Dembele - 7.5 - He is so good for us in midfield. So strong, great technique, great work rate, his positional sense for defending is very good and his tackling is awesome. He went off and we didn't have anyone on the pitch capable of keeping on to the ball. I hope he isn't injured, luckily we get a full weeks rest until our next game against Swansea. A game where he would be vital.

Sandro - 7.5 - Man of the match competition between him and Dembele. Sandro has been our best player this season bar none. You can stick your Bales and your Defoes. This man is the fudging real deal seriously. We kept Fellaini quiet all game, well Sandro did. Some great tackles and nearly scored. I just get the genuine belief that he loves the club. Which is good because we all love him

Dempsey - 7.5 - Superb work rate once again today. Wins free kicks but we were never going to make them count with Walker taking them (wtf?). Scored another goal in successive games for us, just a shame it wasn't another one of his winners. Play him on the left and he seems to score. Finally winning people over, including me.

Adebayor - 5 - One of those Adebayor games. I mean he was superb against City (imo), superb against Arsenal too, gets sent off, was okay against Panathinaikos even though it didn't look like he wanted to be out there and then he goes and pulls that performance out when we needed it most. In all honesty he doesn't deserve a start against Swansea but I remember him ripping them last year.

Defoe - 5.5 - Mixed bag again from Defoe. I usually like the two playing together but it really wasn't working today. Two far apart as a partnership (dont really think it was 2 up top though), no link up play between the two. Work rate though as usual was excellent and he isn't afraid to put a foot in. Just wasn't in the game enough.

Lloris 8 - Quick off his line, vitally at times.
Walker 7 - Did well. One horrible pass in the 2nd half that sticks out.
Gallas 7.5 - Can't think of anything he did wrong. Made some solid clearances.
Caulker 6 - Did well enough, but then came the last 5 minutes.
Vertonghen 5 - Our left side was wide open for Everton to attack.
Lennon 7 - Worked hard defensively.
Sandro 7 - Solid.
Dembele 7 - See Sandro.
Dempsey 7 - If he was supposed to play on the left he didn't do a very good job there, but scored and as usual won a lot free kicks.
Ade 6 - Could have played better, but wasn't getting much help. Often got the ball surrounded by Everton players. Got more involved in the second half. Helped out at defensive set pieces.
Defoe 4 - Did he play?

AVB 9 - We conceded a lot of space to their wingers, but if it wasn't for some individual errors we would have won. Withstood what pressure they had in the 1st half, improved in the 2nd. Not much more he could have done, not a lot of other options available.
Very very fair. I'd give Defoe a little more simply for that fantastic coverage in the first-half @ left-back!!!!

Bale was stuck out the right and Rafa only came on at the end when in typical Redknapp fashion he finally stumbled upon the formation he should have started with.

Absolutely this, but CAREFUL [-X you're daring to criticize "The Genius"...

Still gutted - but will try and keep it objective

Lloris - 7 - solid hands

Walker - 7 - little wrong
Gallas - 5 - shockorama
Caulker - 6 - ok
Verts - 7 - unlucky not to score

Lennon - 6 - completely neutralised by the excellent Baines
Sandro - 7 - beast
Dembele - 7 - MotM
Demspey - 7 - vital goal, great graft

Defoe - 6 - worked hard
Ade - 5 - poor

Hudd - 6 - some neat passes
Sigurdsson - 6 - almost scored

Agreed, at least I could understand AVB's logics in his team selection and even subs. Though they may not have the desired results but they are less baffling than some of 'Arry's less memorable decisions.

I find criticism of AVBs subs staggering. Before the individual errors cost us we were playing the best football of the game. We were holding it well and coasted up to 90mins. Caulker messed up. That changed the game unfortunately.

Golf ball, how on earth is this not a player fault? Caulker will admit it himself.

AVB was seconds away from a brilliant away win. It's unreal what unfolded after 90mins.

Thought it was a good performance

That's kind of my point, with quite obviously less quality on the pitch we still gave a much better account of ourselves, and it all came down to a few ballsups when ball retention was key. So the AVB criticism is a bit odd.

I find criticism of AVBs subs staggering. Before the individual errors cost us we were playing the best football of the game. We were holding it well and coasted up to 90mins. Caulker messed up. That changed the game unfortunately.

Golf ball, how on earth is this not a player fault? Caulker will admit it himself.

AVB was seconds away from a brilliant away win. It's unreal what unfolded after 90mins.

Thought it was a good performance

Wonder how much effect this defeat will have on AVB. Felt like he was almost in tears at the end of the match. Even the so-called pundits were blaming his substitutions for this defeat. Now, we must win against Swansea or the media will put pressure on AVB again.

Fortunately, the return of GB11 will be of great help to us. Maybe, we are a one-man team afterall.

Last edited:

Who would you say is redpinsible for the initial 80 minutes?

We weren't very good, oh right I get you, fudging AVB's fault that, he should have told them to play better. We took an undeserved lead, I didn't think it was all that undeserved but yes I guess we should pin that on AVB. We got even worse when Lennon went off, despite us then scoring to go 1-0 up with Huddlestone(Lennon's replacement) threading a ball through to Dempsey for the goal. He took the injured Dembele off, how dumb. Taking Defoe off when he'd barely been in the game whatsoever, another stupid move. We got even worse, I guess AVB should have told Sigurdsson to strike the ball 6 inches lower and then we'd have been 0-2 up. It's AVB's fault that when Lloris shouts for the ball, Caulker ignores it and makes a mess of the clearance which leads to the goal. So in conclusion, the players got us 1-0 up and then AVB fudged it up for us. Right.

Still gutted - but will try and keep it objective

Gallas - 5 - shockorama
Caulker - 6 - ok

"Try to keep it objective"?

Caulker was definitely to blame for the defeat. He is very good and very young, but he was to blame yesterday.

You and Glenroyyid have been very critical of Gallas - before the game, during the game, after the game.

Yet I and others thought Gallas had a decent game - Everton were kept at bay for most of the match and Fellaini is one of the hardest guys in the league to defend against so both centre backs did well.

But I don't see how Caulker's contribution for the rest of the game outweighed the calamitous decision to ignore the keeper and only clear the ball a few yards.

Again.

Back