• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mata to utd. Draxler to arsenal. Are we fu**ed?

Who says we aren't/weren't in for Shaw? But a player like him knows he can go to any team he wants. Why would he come to Spurs ahead of Chelsea or Man U? The ground breaking wages we offer? Those bright lights on a Thursday night in our 37,000 breathtaking stadium?

they might come for the STATE OF THE ART BREATHTAKING TRAINING FACILITY though!

Fantastic. At that rate, we've only got another 16.5 years to go before we've squirreled away enough to begin construction!

Sigh.

Add in 1/4 from a sponsor, the 3-4 year while it's being built and we might end up with just a 5 year mortgage burden at the end (cf Arsenal's 10 years).

im not expecting us to buy messi. but we can go for Luke Shaw cant we??? as i said earlier there are many examples of us getting big players. chelsea wanted modric - we got him. fergy wanted berbatov when he was in germany - we got him. fergy and wenger wanted bale - we were more agressive and got him.

lately weve shown poor decision making buying soldado and chadli and allowing players like shaw to be got by david "no clue" moyes

Shaw is likely to become the most expensive fullback of all time. And he's not even all that good (he's comparable to Ricardo Rodriguez anyway, who'll cost 1/4 of the price).

Redknapp was doing that and you despised him for it! Compare out net spend of transfers and wages during the Redknapp years with the likes of Arsenal, Villa, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd and Emirates Marketing Project and you'll see we nicking top 4 finishes despite all our main rivals for those spots spending more. I'm sure Wenger did a great job, but surely he couldn't have done as well as Redknapp did for us could he? With reflection common sense tells you that if he's barely holding onto a top 4 spot with Arsenals over all spending he'd be well and truly screwed at Spurs! But I doubt you and many others would want to look at it like that would you?

I think we are very lucky now that we have finally got a man in charge who not only worked very closely with Redknapp, but understands what we are trying to achieve as a club, as he was previously the technical co-ordinator. As much as you'd hate to admit, the current set up with Sherwood in charge is about as close as we are ever going to get to the kind of system you want.

To be compete with the top clubs without their resources, we will need a common sense manger, not a fraudulent "coach" type. We will also need to try and produce our own players as much as possible, though at this level it's incredibly tough. We are hugely unlikely to find a more suitable candidate for that job than Tim. He is a rare example of a manager who is genuinely passionate about the development of the club as a whole instead of just the 1st team. He's got the perfect philosophy for a club with a long term vision. His work as technical co-ordinator means he appreciates what goes on beneath first team level and thus could finally be the man to make sure the club from top to bottom is pulling the same direction. Instead of constantly trying to doubt him, every Spurs fan should be more desperate for Sherwood to succeed than any other manager in recent history, as having a man who genuinely knows the club as he does in charge would give us a huge advantage over many of our rivals.

Also stop spouting on about Ajax and Porto etc as they offer a useless analogy, as the circumstances are entirely different. It's so pathetic that people still bang on about those examples, as if they think those who run Ajax or Porto could reproduce a similarly successful set up in this country.

My opinion about Redknapp is that he was the guy who benefitted from Commolli's work (i.e. inheriting players like Bale, Modric etc). Just as someone in a year or two time will really benefit from Baldini's work this summer just gone in a way AVB didn't.

Other than maybe Sandro and Walker (the only two Redknapp signings left near our team), this wasn't sustained as Redknapp took a much more short-term view, which is why such an overhaul was needed over the last 18 months.

Shaw is very good and Rodriguez would cost much more than £6m-£7m.

I do like Shaw, but he's not exactly Maldini/Lahm/Zambrotta/Carlos/Cafu calibre.

I was thinking perhaps £10m for Rodriguez, whereas Shaw will be more than £35m, maybe close to £40m.

I do like Shaw, but he's not exactly Maldini/Lahm/Zambrotta/Carlos/Cafu calibre.

I was thinking perhaps £10m for Rodriguez, whereas Shaw will be more than £35m, maybe close to £40m.

He's 18, I don't know how you can make any kind of definitive statement on him. Rodriguez's team just signed De Bruyne for £17m, I don't think they're just going to let him go lightly.

your right i must of been in a very long dream when i thought i saw vdv, modric, berbatov, bale, adebayor, eriksen and lamela in spurs shirts. basically what your saying is there is no point existing as no good player will ever arrive at spurs. the fact is good players become available for all kinds of reasons at different points in their careers and its our job to sieze those opportunities like we did with the players we just mentioned for example. thers only so many big teams in the world, they cant have all the good players - there is opportunities for us to get these players if we do our job properly. as opposed to spending 26m on soldado while jackson martinez sits at porto as one of many examples.

yes i do believe we can get shaw. chelsea dont seem to be interested so its a straight fight between us and utd. not every player is about money. shaw is a local boy - if its a choice of staying south near friends and family, playing at a club with a good youth policy, encouraging coach, many players your own age, many players british - as opposed to going up north to a team in limbo with an average manager who in the summer will lose rio, vidic, evra and maybe rooney - then yes, he can be convinced.

the point is we should bid. we cant complain if he rejects us but we can complain if we dont show the ambition to try

Just to play devil's advocate...

Soldado was only £13m up front by all accounts and there's no guarantee that Jackson Martinez would be any better or any cheaper.

Source:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...Roberto-Soldado-vows-to-repay-fans-faith.html

'Even Soldado’s fee – at £26 million – is not as high as it appears, breaking down into £13 million plus a further £13 million if targets and incentives are met.'

so whats the team to break in the top 4?
i want to see a fully fit, on form:

lloris
walker kaboul vertonghen new left back
paulinho dembele
lamela eriksen townsend
adebayor

for the record I think townsend is THE most over rated player in the league and feel lennon is wayyy better but I dont like 2 inverted forwards or 2 out and our wingers. I like 1 inside forward and 1 out and out winger to give us more options and more difficult to prepare against. townsend on the right is a non entity but on the left he can play as a simple, direct winger setting up chances and accommodates lamela to play in his best position which is inside right.

away from home against big teams i want to see:
lloris
sandro
paulinho dembele
lennon adebayor townsend

Last edited:
eriksen is best centrally however he can effect the game anywhere being two footed so can alternate with lamela and whoever
still prefer lamela on the right. for roma last year he scored a lot of goals running deep from that position into the box. plus scoring a few cutting in.
i think lamela eriksen townsend is most natural for them all.

townsend to give natural width, lamela to support adebayor/second striker and eriksen to dictate

lamela isnt a dictator, not from what ive seen. hes more robben than ozil

Last edited:
so whats the team to break in the top 4?
i want to see a fully fit, on form:

lloris
paulinho dembele
lamela eriksen townsend
adebayor

for the record I think townsend is THE most over rated player in the league and feel lennon is wayyy better but I dont like 2 inverted forwards or 2 out and our wingers. I like 1 inside forward and 1 out and out winger to give us more options and more difficult to prepare against. townsend on the right is a non entity but on the left he can play as a simple, direct winger setting up chances and accommodates lamela to play in his best position which is inside right.

away from home against big teams i want to see:
lloris
sandro
paulinho dembele
lennon adebayor townsend

We've got more than enough threads where people can discuss their preferred Spurs line up. I suggest that you take this discussion to one of those.

We've got more than enough threads where people can discuss their preferred Spurs line up. I suggest that you take this discussion to one of those.

it was my attempt to turn this thread from a pessimistic one to an optimistic one looking forward

it was my attempt to turn this thread from a pessimistic one to an optimistic one looking forward

Thanks but we've already got threads for that. If you think that the thread topic has been exhausted then it is probably best to let it fade and die.

Manchester United are planning up to five more signings of the same calibre as £37.1m club record capture Juan Mata, 25, as manager David Moyes instigates an overhaul of the current squad.

Full story: Sunday Times (subscription required)

Obviously only from a journo. If true cant see it happening in the next 5 days, probably Summer. If so, big few months coming because I would think if they still manage to finish 4th this season without them, it could be a lockout for a few years to come.
If Liverpool,EVerton or ourselves can snatch 4th, that would surely put a dent in their recruitment plans and they should become less attractive to the bigger players

they might come for the STATE OF THE ART BREATHTAKING TRAINING FACILITY though!

It certainly won't hurt.

The main thing we could offer Shaw is first team football at a higher level than Southampton along with the training facilities, higher wages etc. Players like Cole, Azpilicueta, Evra and Kolarov might make it difficult for Shaw to be an automatic starter at some of the top clubs.

A sensible player might understand that he needs regular games, we could offer that. Potentially it might make a difference. But then Chelsea or City would offer twice the wages and sign on fee we could and how long would he stay sensible?

Manchester United are planning up to five more signings of the same calibre as £37.1m club record capture Juan Mata, 25, as manager David Moyes instigates an overhaul of the current squad.

Obviously only from a journo. If true cant see it happening in the next 5 days, probably Summer. If so, big few months coming because I would think if they still manage to finish 4th this season without them, it could be a lockout for a few years to come.
If Liverpool,EVerton or ourselves can snatch 4th, that would surely put a dent in their recruitment plans and they should become less attractive to the bigger players

One season out of the CL probably wouldn't hurt them, they will have a massive pull either way.

Agreed. we need to capitalise. i have faith we will be a better team in the coming years when eriksen and lamela develop into the worlds best - but as the thread suggests we (teams outside of the top 4) are going into a new era where its going to be a real battle every year from now on. I felt this was the year more than any other at the start of the season with united changing manager and arsenal seemingly struggling but the with the suprise additions of mata, ozil and possibly draxler the chance may be gone until something dramatic happens.

Last edited:
Back