• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Massive decision. Redundancy. Pay off

Guys,

Got made redundant this week, after 4 years at my job in insurance. Got a 9 month pay off.

Was always looking to leave my job, maybe the industry, and choose something else.

I have a bit of debt but with this pay off I could clear it, have a little bit left and I also have my own flat with a bit of capital.

31, single but just started seeing a lady.

This is the perfect opportunity, but I'm so confused.

Most of my mates are married and have kids but some close people have said pay the debt off, take some time off and maybe travel?

Has any one had this sort of experience in their life?

I have so many avenues here, obviously you don't know me but I need as much guidance as possible but ultimately my choice is mine.

thanks and sorry guys (quite ****ed)

GGG
X

Lucky bugger, when ever I have had money I had either a wife or then a child. Go see the world and shag loads of women your still young you can have children any age, it is women who need worry about age with regards children.

Sounds like the perfect storm. No need to compare yourselves to your friends of the same age.

You have had a nice windfall there, paid to leave a job you wanted to leave anyway.

If you go away, you can rent the flat out for some extra income. After 4 years in the same job, think to yourself 'when was the last time i was happy?' - if the answer is a year or more, do something with the money that will benefit you. Travelling is always good, but you could look at starting your own business, or retraining, following a dream. Anything.

With few ties, you have a great opportunity.

id go and do it now, use half to pay off some of the debt then the rest to travel, plenty of time for settling down, kids and mortgage.

don't jump in to anything - why don't you take a 4 week break somewhere abroad and see if that helps bring focus?

can do that without making much of a dent in your windfall and it might go someway to helping you decide what you want to do.

don't jump in to anything - why don't you take a 4 week break somewhere abroad and see if that helps bring focus?

can do that without making much of a dent in your windfall and it might go someway to helping you decide what you want to do.

=D>
Excellent advice. I agree with billy.

Exactly there is a lot of the world you could see in 4 weeks, America, Europe, Oz, Thailand ???

Yup. Great advice and exactly what the other half and I did. Started a world tour on a whim in a similar situation. Was only meant to be gone six months and ended up spending three spectacular years in NZ and OZ at the end of it.

You may find that living abroad isn't for you but the amazing moments you will experience will bring you lifelong memories, clarity of thought and perspective.

I'm excited for you mate, do whatever your gut tells you, it will be the right decision. Whether that's travel, new work opportunities, learning an instrument etc be happy and be lucky!

lol.. not sure whats funnier, your reaction or your avatar with your c0ck out, assuming that is you.

If you want sensible advice.. don't get advice from a MB.

Think about where you want to be in life, what kind of person you want to be, what you want your days to be like, and how you can get there if you think it's possible.

Agree with Danners, no need to compare yourself to the friends of your same age, do what you think is best for you.

I think a big separator here is work. Think about what you could see yourself doing and being happy with. If that's something you need more education, training, or some years working your way into the right position, even perhaps an investment, the money you've come into now might be better set aside for that.

If you think it's more realistic that you will be happy having a job that's more a means to an end and you'll find meaning and happiness other places in your life there's nothing wrong with that. In that case this is a fantastic opportunity to spend this money just on yourself.

Agree completely about traveling, if you have the opportunity it's often well worth taking it. At least for me I've also done some of my best thinking when traveling. But for life decisions, don't expect to just set aside 4 weeks of traveling and come out at the other end with the right solution.

You're right, this is your decision. Good to get input from others like you're doing though.

Think about where you want to be in life, what kind of person you want to be, what you want your days to be like, and how you can get there if you think it's possible.

Agree with Danners, no need to compare yourself to the friends of your same age, do what you think is best for you.

I think a big separator here is work. Think about what you could see yourself doing and being happy with. If that's something you need more education, training, or some years working your way into the right position, even perhaps an investment, the money you've come into now might be better set aside for that.

If you think it's more realistic that you will be happy having a job that's more a means to an end and you'll find meaning and happiness other places in your life there's nothing wrong with that. In that case this is a fantastic opportunity to spend this money just on yourself.

Agree completely about traveling, if you have the opportunity it's often well worth taking it. At least for me I've also done some of my best thinking when traveling. But for life decisions, don't expect to just set aside 4 weeks of traveling and come out at the other end with the right solution.

You're right, this is your decision. Good to get input from others like you're doing though.

This. Or just host a big hookers and coke party for all of us.

lol.. not sure whats funnier, your reaction or your avatar with your c0ck out, assuming that is you.

If you want sensible advice.. don't get advice from a MB.

You're damn right that's me. The missus hosted a rainbow-themed party for her birthday, I went with the most appropriate attire I could find. As reigning Best Avatar holder, and because I have no chance of winning anything else in the GG Awards, I'm going all out.

Question: what is an MB? 8-[

You're damn right that's me. The missus hosted a rainbow-themed party for her birthday, I went with the most appropriate attire I could find. As reigning Best Avatar holder, and because I have no chance of winning anything else in the GG Awards, I'm going all out.

Question: what is an MB? 8-[

Everyone knows what MB means.. masturbator :lol:

Go to Vegas and party
Drink all the cheap booze and **** as many American birds as your accent will get ( which is a lot!!) until either your dingdong falls off or your bladder implodes

Alright guys, thanks for all the replies! Didn't think I would get many! Sorry been busy last few days and was so smashed when I sent that I forgot I did it!

Been sending my CV off to more recruitment agencies this morning and mates in the industries to see if there are any jobs around.

However, I think I will go to OZ and NZ for a month as thats what I planned to do anyway but didn't have the money. You never know I could find a job out there but I have not had a holiday in 2 years.

Have always wanted to do something else but with the money I was on, wasn't amazing but was very good it would be so hard to start up and find something new to do. That aside, the debt was worrying me however this would be completely cleared and would leave me enough to put away and also go travelling for a bit. That said if I came back I would have to find a job pretty soonish. However another option is to rent the flat out and live at home for a few months.

I also like the look of NY but definitely need a holiday even if it is somewhere cheap and nasty like Tenerife or the Greek islands.

GGG

Back