• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mark Clattenburg

When I recently said Chelsea were the scummiest of the scum (closely followed by Liverpool) and ahead of Arsenal in this respect, people didnt agree on this board. Now perhaps they will.

Arsenal have a history of scumminess that I don't think even Chelsea currently match.

If you're talking about current teams though, Arsenal are just fat, ginger tossers - Chelsea are destroying football.

With regards to respect for referees, why not implement what happens in Aussie Rules. If you so much as question a decision against you, the opposition are awarded a free-kick 50 metres upfield. Something like this would soon cut out the backchat and screaming at officials (obviously not 50 metres, but say 30).

There many options they could take. Rugby has two I like. One is moving the free kick up-field by ten years. Not so effective in football but could be interesting if the ball is moved into the penalty area, resulting in a free kick in the penalty area or converting it to a penalty. The other is the call reversal, where dissent causes the penalty to be nullified and awarded to the other side. So any instances of card waving after a foul would result in reversal of the free-kick (or penalty). You can imagine a team getting a penalty, demanding a sending off, and then losing out on the penalty on a reversal. The managers would soon instruct the players to behave.

But first they have to decide they are serious and not just paying lip-service, like in the Respect campaign. Any change, even just enforcing exisiting rules on abusive language would cause carnage for a few games, with loads of cards and sendings off, but if they show they are serious the players have to stop.

Arsenal have a history of scumminess that I don't think even Chelsea currently match.

If you're talking about current teams though, Arsenal are just fat, ginger tossers - Chelsea are destroying football.

EVERTYTHING about Chelsea is worse than the Arse - their directors, management, players and racist hooligan fans. The two really dont compare imo.

EVERTYTHING about Chelsea is worse than the Arse - their directors, management, players and racist hooligan fans. The two really dont compare imo.

The key is Chelsea disgust me and arsenal are rivals. I enjoy our rivalry with arsenal but I just think Chelsea are classless miscreants taking a sledge hammer to football

But first they have to decide they are serious and not just paying lip-service, like in the Respect campaign. Any change, even just enforcing exisiting rules on abusive language would cause carnage for a few games, with loads of cards and sendings off, but if they show they are serious the players have to stop.

This is the key ....and it involves the media acting responsible ( e.g. Alan Green not dedicating his whole show to slating the officials every week because it makes 'good' radio) and actually supporting the ethos of football rather than over-egging the controversy ( I know - it sells papers). And also the managers accepting it when it happens to them. Unfortunately, Fergie, Wenger etc are all lip service until one of their players falls foul of such campaigns and then they orchestrate the media campaign to undercut it.

What previous do Chelsea have?

1. Someone mentioned the two referees who retired. Frisk and Ovrebo

2. Terry's defence being consider unlikely by a judge in a criminal court and dismissed as a lie by the FA's independent tribunal.

Howard Riddle Senior District Judge (Chief Magistrate) 13 July 2012 said:
Mr Terry’s explanation is, certainly under the cold light of forensic examination, unlikely.

... Weighing all the evidence together, I think it is highly unlikely that Mr Ferdinand accused Mr Terry on the pitch of calling him a black ****.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...not-guilty-of-racism-the-verdict-in-full.html

3. The evolution of Cole's evidence during that inquiry and a role of a Chelsea exec in concocting that story.

The FA's disciplinary commission criticised Chelsea because of the "evolving" nature of Cole's submissions for Terry's hearing, heavily implicating the club secretary, David Barnard, because of "materially defective" evidence.

4. This incident showing Cole and Terry making things up about a referee:

Whether it is his own doing will be a lot easier to deduce once the FA's disciplinary investigators have collated all the evidence and decided whether it should issue a disciplinary charge or the opposite and send it the same way as Chelsea's complaints about Poll in 2006.

The chapter in Poll's autobiography detailing that case is called "Chelsea on the attack" and relates how Ashley Cole publicly accused him of remarking that the club "needed to be taught a lesson" after he had sent off John Terry and disallowed a Didier Drogba goal in a game against Tottenham Hotspur. Terry then alleged Poll had changed his story about the sending off because "that's probably the best option for him as it covers every angle". The FA investigated the claims, decided they were false and charged Terry instead. He was fined £10,000 after admitting improper conduct, with the FA concluding it was "disappointed no public apology had been forthcoming".

So there is previous when it comes to Chelsea concocting allegations about what a referee has purportedly said to their players after a bad result.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/oct/30/chelsea-mark-clattenburg-allegations

Last edited:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-referee-told-John-Obi-Mikel-Shut-monkey.html

Chelsea stars now claim referee Clattenburg told Mikel: 'Shut up you monkey' as club's race case looks in jeopardy Two players have told teammates this is what Premier League official said in alleged outburst
Clattenburg confident he will be cleared of wrongdoing, with source saying: 'He said nothing of the sort - and he will fight this all the way'
Chelsea's legal case could collapse as it has gone to external lawyers who may believe the claims made by players do not stand up

The race-row that has engulfed Premier League referee Mark Clattenburg intensified further today as two Chelsea players claimed they heard him call teammate John Obi Mikel a 'monkey'.
It has emerged that the pair of unnamed stars say this is what happened during their match with Manchester United on Sunday - but the official categorically denies making any racist comments.

Clattenburg has been accused of saying to Mikel: 'Shut up you monkey' as he booked him for dissent as well as calling Juan Mata a ‘Spanish t***’ in their 3-2 defeat at Stamford Bridge.

Mystery had surrounded what Clattenburg actually said to Mikel - until these allegations were made this morning.

But a source close to the referee told The Sun: 'He said nothing of the sort - and he will fight this all the way.
'There is a lot of noise on the pitch and the players could have easily misheard.'

Meanwhile, Chelsea's race case against Clattenburg is in serious danger of collapsing completely after it emerged that the club have employed independent lawyers to investigate the claims of their players.

The club are expected to conclude their internal investigation into allegations that the referee racially abused John Mikel Obi and swore at Juan Mata.
The external lawyers will then provide Chelsea with legal opinion as to whether their case will be successful. Despite issues over the available evidence, Chelsea remained robust.

Clattenburg, who has been taken off the Premier League match list this weekend, has protested his innocence since his controversial handling of Chelsea’s 3-2 defeat by Manchester United on Sunday.

Now it has emerged that Chelsea are fearful of the backlash if the players have misheard or misjudged Clattenburg’s conversations during the stormy clash against United.
Chelsea will proceed with the case against the referee only if they are satisfied the claims made by the players after the game will stand up to the FA’s burden of proof.

It means they will need to satisfy an FA commission ‘on the balance of probability’, but they also have to negotiate the complexities of the Metropolitan Police’s investigation into the affair.

If the case breaks down, it will reflect badly on Chelsea, who made their claims of inappropriate language against Clattenburg in a strongly worded statement on Sunday, two hours after the final whistle.

Earlier it emerged that the club and Mikel could be charged with misconduct by the FA after the midfielder had to be restrained from manhandling the referee in his dressing room following the clash.

Clattenburg did not mention the behaviour in the ‘extraordinary incident’ report he filed on Sunday, but he now has to make a detailed statement to the FA. Clattenburg’s assistants, Michael McDonough and Simon Long, and fourth official Mike Jones have filed reports in which they say they did not hear the Durham official say anything inappropriate.

All four were in the referee’s room when Mikel burst in with Chelsea chief executive Ron Gourlay and manager Roberto Di Matteo.

Mikel’s aggressive manner, along with the behaviour of other Chelsea officials, raises the possibility of FA action against the club.

Both Mikel and Mata claim they have a witness to Clattenburg’s comments, and PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor, who has assessed both complaints, told Sportsmail the pair have his ‘100 per cent support’.

However, it has emerged that the allegations about the referee’s comments were made only after a debate in the Chelsea dressing room. Mikel and Ramires were discussing the alleged use of racist language and were then quizzed by senior Chelsea players about what they had heard before the matter was taken further.
Sunday’s controversy is also the subject of a police investigation and Clattenburg will be interviewed by them as well as the FA, who are conducting a separate inquiry into his handling of the clash.

The PFA had a delegate at the game and he has discussed the matter with Taylor, who said: ‘The main thing is that the police investigation will not affect the process at the FA.

‘We are supportive of the players and they have our 100 per cent backing. I find it difficult to believe that Chelsea’s players would make something like this up. At the same time I find it hard to conclude that a referee could say something of this nature.’

Clattenburg found an unlikely ally in Leeds manager Neil Warnock, who said he was disgusted with Chelsea for ‘trying to kill’ the official.

Warnock, preparing for Leeds’ Capital One Cup win over Southampton last night, was critical of the accusations against Clattenburg, who enraged Chelsea by sending off Fernando Torres for diving when replays showed he had been fouled.

Warnock said: ‘You know my relationship with referees but I have to say I am disgusted with what’s gone on. I’m on Clattenburg’s side. We ask referees to man-manage and that’s what he does. I’m sure he might have said a few things but are you telling me if Chelsea had won that game that there would have been one iota of a complaint?

‘I hope if it is proved wrong, that the players, whatever they alleged Mark to have said, get done as well. I think he made a mistake but they are trying to kill him and I don’t agree with that.’

In a further development, police chiefs upgraded security at Stamford Bridge for the Capital One Cup tie against United as tension between the teams threatens to escalate.

Incidentally, while getting the judge's quote I found a disturbing instance of how journalists manipulate quotes.

The Standard said:
Chief magistrate Howard Riddle said: “The only verdict is not guilty. It is highly unlikely that Anton Ferdinand accused John Terry on the pitch of calling him a black c*** but it’s possible that Terry believed at the time that such an accusation was made.

But the full remarks were reported in the Telegraph ...

Weighing all the evidence together, I think it is highly unlikely that Mr Ferdinand accused Mr Terry on the pitch of calling him a black ****. However I accept that it is possible that Mr Terry believed at the time, and believes now, that such an accusation was made. The prosecution evidence as to what was said by Mr Ferdinand at this point is not strong. Mr Cole gives corroborating (although far from compelling corroborating) evidence on this point. It is therefore possible that what he said was not intended as an insult, but rather as a challenge to what he believed had been said to him.

In those circumstances, there being a doubt, the only verdict the court can record is one of not guilty.

Here, the meaning is not changed dramatically but the emphasis is changed. The qualified opinion "I think it is unlikely" becomes a definitive statement "It is unlikely". And why change the quote by adding the first names? More significantly "the only verdict the court can record is one of not guilty" becomes "The only verdict is not guilty" and is moved to the beginning. The nuance that the not guilty is because of some existing doubt is lost.

From April this year:

In return for salaries slightly above £70,000, professional referees train daily with the details of such exertions recorded on heart monitors and downloaded by Riley's sports science staff.

... assistant referees, currently earning £600 a game and normally accommodated in hotels with fellow officials on nights before games ...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/apr/14/premier-league-referees-no-excuses

So all the complaining players and managers earn more in a week or fortnight than the refs do in a year.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-referee-told-John-Obi-Mikel-Shut-monkey.html

Chelsea stars now claim referee Clattenburg told Mikel: 'Shut up you monkey' as club's race case looks in jeopardy Two players have told teammates this is what Premier League official said in alleged outburst
Clattenburg confident he will be cleared of wrongdoing, with source saying: 'He said nothing of the sort - and he will fight this all the way'
Chelsea's legal case could collapse as it has gone to external lawyers who may believe the claims made by players do not stand up

The race-row that has engulfed Premier League referee Mark Clattenburg intensified further today as two Chelsea players claimed they heard him call teammate John Obi Mikel a 'monkey'.
It has emerged that the pair of unnamed stars say this is what happened during their match with Manchester United on Sunday - but the official categorically denies making any racist comments.

Clattenburg has been accused of saying to Mikel: 'Shut up you monkey' as he booked him for dissent as well as calling Juan Mata a ‘Spanish t***’ in their 3-2 defeat at Stamford Bridge.

Mystery had surrounded what Clattenburg actually said to Mikel - until these allegations were made this morning.

But a source close to the referee told The Sun: 'He said nothing of the sort - and he will fight this all the way.
'There is a lot of noise on the pitch and the players could have easily misheard.'

Meanwhile, Chelsea's race case against Clattenburg is in serious danger of collapsing completely after it emerged that the club have employed independent lawyers to investigate the claims of their players.

The club are expected to conclude their internal investigation into allegations that the referee racially abused John Mikel Obi and swore at Juan Mata.
The external lawyers will then provide Chelsea with legal opinion as to whether their case will be successful. Despite issues over the available evidence, Chelsea remained robust.

Clattenburg, who has been taken off the Premier League match list this weekend, has protested his innocence since his controversial handling of Chelsea’s 3-2 defeat by Manchester United on Sunday.

Now it has emerged that Chelsea are fearful of the backlash if the players have misheard or misjudged Clattenburg’s conversations during the stormy clash against United.
Chelsea will proceed with the case against the referee only if they are satisfied the claims made by the players after the game will stand up to the FA’s burden of proof.

It means they will need to satisfy an FA commission ‘on the balance of probability’, but they also have to negotiate the complexities of the Metropolitan Police’s investigation into the affair.

If the case breaks down, it will reflect badly on Chelsea, who made their claims of inappropriate language against Clattenburg in a strongly worded statement on Sunday, two hours after the final whistle.

Earlier it emerged that the club and Mikel could be charged with misconduct by the FA after the midfielder had to be restrained from manhandling the referee in his dressing room following the clash.

Clattenburg did not mention the behaviour in the ‘extraordinary incident’ report he filed on Sunday, but he now has to make a detailed statement to the FA. Clattenburg’s assistants, Michael McDonough and Simon Long, and fourth official Mike Jones have filed reports in which they say they did not hear the Durham official say anything inappropriate.

All four were in the referee’s room when Mikel burst in with Chelsea chief executive Ron Gourlay and manager Roberto Di Matteo.

Mikel’s aggressive manner, along with the behaviour of other Chelsea officials, raises the possibility of FA action against the club.

Both Mikel and Mata claim they have a witness to Clattenburg’s comments, and PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor, who has assessed both complaints, told Sportsmail the pair have his ‘100 per cent support’.

However, it has emerged that the allegations about the referee’s comments were made only after a debate in the Chelsea dressing room. Mikel and Ramires were discussing the alleged use of racist language and were then quizzed by senior Chelsea players about what they had heard before the matter was taken further.
Sunday’s controversy is also the subject of a police investigation and Clattenburg will be interviewed by them as well as the FA, who are conducting a separate inquiry into his handling of the clash.

The PFA had a delegate at the game and he has discussed the matter with Taylor, who said: ‘The main thing is that the police investigation will not affect the process at the FA.

‘We are supportive of the players and they have our 100 per cent backing. I find it difficult to believe that Chelsea’s players would make something like this up. At the same time I find it hard to conclude that a referee could say something of this nature.’

Clattenburg found an unlikely ally in Leeds manager Neil Warnock, who said he was disgusted with Chelsea for ‘trying to kill’ the official.

Warnock, preparing for Leeds’ Capital One Cup win over Southampton last night, was critical of the accusations against Clattenburg, who enraged Chelsea by sending off Fernando Torres for diving when replays showed he had been fouled.

Warnock said: ‘You know my relationship with referees but I have to say I am disgusted with what’s gone on. I’m on Clattenburg’s side. We ask referees to man-manage and that’s what he does. I’m sure he might have said a few things but are you telling me if Chelsea had won that game that there would have been one iota of a complaint?

‘I hope if it is proved wrong, that the players, whatever they alleged Mark to have said, get done as well. I think he made a mistake but they are trying to kill him and I don’t agree with that.’

In a further development, police chiefs upgraded security at Stamford Bridge for the Capital One Cup tie against United as tension between the teams threatens to escalate.

You cannot slander someone that directly in public and get away with it........I want 20 points MINIMUM

I think the referees should refuse to referee Chelsea games unless Chelsea can substantiate their case. Chances are the evidence will be sufficiently confused (and invented) that there will be a not guilty verdict without clear vindication for Clattenburg. That still leaves Clattenburg's position as untenable.

Its interesting that only now are Chelsea consulting lawyers about pursuing the case. They should have kept quiet until they had gathered the evidence. If their claim is true, then it would have made no difference. Charges would be made, Clattenburg found guilty and banned.

Making public statements and releasing a media storm only helps if they have a different agenda.

You cannot slander someone that directly in public and get away with it........I want 20 points MINIMUM

I agree. The two accusers should definitely have to reveal themselves as well. It's disgusting that they can make accusations like this and then remain anonymous.

It is absolutely ridiculous that a premier league referee would say that to a player. Ridiculous.

I'm sure 99 % of everyone else (except Chelski supporters) find it very likely that Chelski players would make something like this up.

I've tweeted suggesting that refs boycott Chelsea games......why would you leave yourself open to spurious racist allegations?

Others get involved!

I'm sure 99 % of everyone else (except Chelski supporters) find it very likely that Chelski players would make something like this up.

Especially when, as reiterated in the Guardian article linked and quoted above, they've got form for doing exactly that.

Back