• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Manager Sack Watch

I wonder if Pulis has had his time? Happens to most coaches at some point. He'll get a few more jobs yet though (what you might call the David Moyes Bounce).

Pardew for WBA I reckon.

Yes, if the sky panel and other pundits get it their way. Foreign managers (like Poch and Silva) don't have a clue according to them.

Not just the pundits, but the boardrooms of a lot of the lower down teams. It'd be good for the league if they can bring in a real quality coach instead of giving Pardew 18 months to make everyone hate him.

I wonder if Pulis has had his time? Happens to most coaches at some point. He'll get a few more jobs yet though (what you might call the David Moyes Bounce).

Pardew for WBA I reckon.
Pulis has done well in his career in terms of resource, but I was thinking the same thing looking at his body language. He looks like a man who hasn't got many more relentless long balls left in him.

Pulis has done well in his career in terms of resource, but I was thinking the same thing looking at his body language. He looks like a man who hasn't got many more relentless long balls left in him.
Net spend of £80m or there abouts since taking over in January 2015. Not developed a single player to reach the level of a top 6 PL club or a good international side. Pretty much the same as at Stoke.

I wouldn't consider that being particularly good with resources.

Net spend of £80m or there abouts since taking over in January 2015. Not developed a single player to reach the level of a top 6 PL club or a good international side. Pretty much the same as at Stoke.

I wouldn't consider that being particularly good with resources.
Agree with that. Appalling limited manager who's disgusting brand of football is an affront to the senses.

Unless @LemonadeMoney was talking about Pulis' own personal resources and in that case he probably has done well.

Agree with that. Appalling limited manager who's disgusting brand of football is an affront to the senses.

Unless @LemonadeMoney was talking about Pulis' own personal resources and in that case he probably has done well.
I don't think he's appalling. He delivers consistent results given reasonable resources. As close to a not being relegated guarantee as a smallish PL club can get. He's good at that.

The downside is considerable though. After a couple of years you're left with a squad that's not capable of varying their style. Significant player development and hopes of a one off wonderful season has to pretty much be forgotten. And the football will eventually get boring.

Pardew is a car crash waiting to happen. Always gets a good start with his cheerleader antics, but then that effect soon wears off and he is left with nothing to get a team working.

Will be a disaster at WBA IMO.

Pulis? He always seems to me to dislike football. More and more, recently, he is quite antagonistic when spoken too - much like his brand of football - I wonder if he even wants to manage? I think the Wales job and semi retirement might be more his thing at this point.

I don't think he's appalling. He delivers consistent results given reasonable resources. As close to a not being relegated guarantee as a smallish PL club can get. He's good at that.

The downside is considerable though. After a couple of years you're left with a squad that's not capable of varying their style. Significant player development and hopes of a one off wonderful season has to pretty much be forgotten. And the football will eventually get boring.
I said he was appalling limited. He'll get you about a 30% win record which considering the not inconsiderable amounts he spends is a bare minimum IMO. In your previous post you are criticising his spend of 80m and then you think that is reasonable in your next post.

Edit: actually it is only 30mil net spend this season

At Stoke he spent a fortune. And all they did was got better/more consistent at being nasty cloggers.

He made no "major" purchases, but never sold anyone worth a toss either. Just consistently spent, to the point where they were often among the top spenders in the league unbelievably.

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/stoke-city/english-football-teams/stoke-city-transfers

Season 12/13 was his last there, net spend £21,100,000
11/12 - £19,900,000
10/11 - £10,975,000
09/10 - £17,000,000
08/09 - £18,700,000
07/08 - £-270,000 - actually in profit!

Us, for comparison? £-16,300,000, £-1,300,000, £-27,000,000, £17,500,000, £-1,000,000, £19,450,000

And where did it get them? Security, and that was it really. Never any sign of evolving into something more.

Consider what we did with our funds, and where that has taken the club since...

At Stoke he spent a fortune. And all they did was got better/more consistent at being nasty cloggers.

He made no "major" purchases, but never sold anyone worth a toss either. Just consistently spent, to the point where they were often among the top spenders in the league unbelievably.

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/stoke-city/english-football-teams/stoke-city-transfers

Season 12/13 was his last there, net spend £21,100,000
11/12 - £19,900,000
10/11 - £10,975,000
09/10 - £17,000,000
08/09 - £18,700,000
07/08 - £-270,000 - actually in profit!

Us, for comparison? £-16,300,000, £-1,300,000, £-27,000,000, £17,500,000, £-1,000,000, £19,450,000

And where did it get them? Security, and that was it really. Never any sign of evolving into something more.

Consider what we did with our funds, and where that has taken the club since...
You can't use us as a comparison, Levy is off the chart in terms of running a club. Compare money spent to league position, I bet it's about where they should be, and I bet there are plenty who spent the same/more and went down.
Anyway, he's a clam for strangling the joy out of football. Good riddance.

Reactions: DTA
Back