• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Man United and Emirates Marketing Project split by proposals on Premier League financial controls

Mulletperm

Mauricio Taricco
Manchester United and Emirates Marketing Project are on opposite sides of a new divide in the Premier League: whether the competition should introduce its own Uefa-style financial fair play regulations.

At the League’s annual meeting the idea of tighter financial controls being imposed on clubs was advanced by Liverpool. It gained the support of a number of their rivals, including United’s chief executive, David Gill, who had previously helped shape Uefa’s ground-breaking Financial Fair Play rules.

The delegation from Arsenal is believed to have spoken up in favour. The club’s owner, Stan Kroenke is, like Liverpool’s John W Henry and United’s Glazer family, familiar with restrictive financial regulations through the US sports franchises they own. West Ham United’s joint chairman David Gold also gave his approval.

Gold told The Daily Telegraph: “I was involved in bringing in the FFP rules in the Championship and at the time I thought should I get to the Premier League, I’ll lobby for it. I made it abundantly clear we shouldn’t be doing nothing. David Gill was marvellous. He made lots of sense. Even the big clubs now are saying we have to get to grips with costs.”

But the subject was not unanimously supported. Emirates Marketing Project, whose owner, Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al-Nahyan , subsidised spending with £43.3million in cash between June 1, 2009, and the end of May 2011, are believed to have cautioned that they would prefer to manage their business as they see fit.
Fulham, whose rise through the leagues was financed by ‘soft’ loans from the chairman, Mohamed Fayed, have also historically expressed the view that they would not endorse a system that “kills the dreams” of others. However, this time they did not push back against Liverpool’s proposal.

It all meant the Premier League executive staff have been tasked with drawing up a report on what proposals could be introduced. One option would be to adopt wholesale the Uefa FFP regulations.

Both Chelsea and United were instrumental in developing these, which require clubs to break even within a margin of “acceptable deviation” of €45 million (£35.5 million) over the first two years of their formal implementation – next season and the following.

Chelsea and United are confident of meeting Uefa’s rules despite their inclusion not just of cash expenditure but accounting charges relating to historical spending under “amortisation”. However, City will find that particularly challenging.

Their Premier League champions’ operating loss in the 2010-11 season alone – the most recent for which accounts are available – was £194.9 million. Even though some areas of this spending will be discounted as allowable, the discounts are unlikely to bring operating losses under FFP to within the £35.5 million cushion over two years.

David Gill, Manchester United’s chief executive, has told Parliament: “We were involved through the European Club Association, as were other clubs, such as Chelsea, who were on the working group to develop those proposals with Uefa.
“It made sense and was for the benefit of football clubs could operate within their own resources and it would bring about a limiting effect on player cost, in terms of transfers and wages.

“We are comfortable with it. The critical issue will be around implementation and the sanctions around that, and making sure that it is appropriately applied. But I do not think anyone can criticise the objective of ensuring that clubs operate within their own resources.”

How to guarantee compliance would be one of the biggest challenges of a new Premier League regulatory regime and this month Henry expressed his concerns about Uefa’s will to impose its own FFP regulations. But that view contrasts with recent Uefa actions.

The Court of Arbitration for Sport has upheld Uefa’s expulsion under financial fair play rules of Besiktas. The Turkish club will be banned from the next two European competitions for which it qualifies over the next five years.
The English top flight is the only league in the country not to have its own cost-restraint framework. Leagues One and Two have both implemented salary capping while the Championship has introduced a financial fair play system for this season based on the Uefa model. Championship clubs flouting Football League rules will be hit with a transfer embargo.

shouldn't it be just cast to a vote since every EPL member has equal right in the organization? views and options have been provided, what is there else to discuss?

Once they built their castle they are happy to pull up the draw bridge.

Yup, that's what its all about. Imagine, Chelsea supporting FFP rules now they have made the move from the have-nots to the haves.

The thing I find strange about the FFP rules is how they affect money coming into and leaving football. They have no problem with the Glazers taking £500m out of football and transferring it to bankers and other financial institutions. That is £500m that could be paid to football players, managers, coaches and others in the football business. Yet when faced with Sheikh Monsoor injecting £1000m into football, money that would be paid to football players, managers, coaches and others in the football business, they raise the red flag.

Now I realise that there is a fair play issue in terms of competitiveness, but the clubs at the top have not shown interest in that before. They abolished gate sharing, introduced the PL, championed the non-champions league, and took all the benefits that entailed. Now someone threatens their position they want new rules stifling competition.

One thing the PL has done well is the collective bargaining of the TV money and the relatively equitable distribution within the PL (the divide is to those outside). The owners proposing the current moves will be the same ones who will want changes to the collective bargaining

Support City on this one. At present, FFP is theoretically a good thing because all it does is ban clubs from Europe if they're making undue losses, not impose penalties on the domestic leagues. Ergo, 'the dream' for what it's grubbily worth, could still be kept alive; i.e, a team being bankrolled from obscurity to the title. (Not sure what that says about football fans, but that's a discussion for another day). This, however, will perpetually set the top four, maybe five teams as the top five for all eternity, since they can buy the best players and pay the best wages while still making a good amount of money due to their large sponsorship deals, large traditional fanbases and generally large stadiums. Thus, they wouldn't suffer at all, and they'd even probably pass FFP and so widen the gap. The small teams, however ,would be directly penalized by the Premier League itself by trying to break the monopoly.

Unless I've got the wrong end of the wedge here, this would combine with the FFP to create a new, utterly unbreakable Top-Four style chokehold on the league. Not a good thing.

Support City on this one. At present, FFP is theoretically a good thing because all it does is ban clubs from Europe if they're making undue losses, not impose penalties on the domestic leagues. Ergo, 'the dream' for what it's grubbily worth, could still be kept alive; i.e, a team being bankrolled from obscurity to the title. (Not sure what that says about football fans, but that's a discussion for another day). This, however, will perpetually set the top four, maybe five teams as the top five for all eternity, since they can buy the best players and pay the best wages while still making a good amount of money due to their large sponsorship deals, large traditional fanbases and generally large stadiums. Thus, they wouldn't suffer at all, and they'd even probably pass FFP and so widen the gap. The small teams, however ,would be directly penalized by the Premier League itself by trying to break the monopoly.

Unless I've got the wrong end of the wedge here, this would combine with the FFP to create a new, utterly unbreakable Top-Four style chokehold on the league. Not a good thing.

Anyone is allowed to bankroll a team's stadium though. So Stoke and Swansea could both have huge stadiums built for them by a new owner, Swansea would (assuming prices are reasonable) fill the new stadium whereas Stoke would probably struggle to get more than they do now - I'd rather cut out my own eyeballs than watch Stoke play.

That's fair isn't it?

Anyone is allowed to bankroll a team's stadium though. So Stoke and Swansea could both have huge stadiums built for them by a new owner, Swansea would (assuming prices are reasonable) fill the new stadium whereas Stoke would probably struggle to get more than they do now - I'd rather cut out my own eyeballs than watch Stoke play.

That's fair isn't it?

Not really. Take a provincial team like, say, Blackburn. They were funded by Jack Walker and stormed to their first and only PL title.Now, if Walker's trustees take over Blackburn and decide to build a new stadium, that would probably take at least three - five years to plan/get built, by which time someone in the 'established' top four will have probably won a title or two, maybe a cup or two, and will have increased their fanbases in Asia and Africa. Ergo, when Blackburn's new stadium is finally complete, they probably won't fill it unless they reduce ticket prices. While one of the established top teams can both boast full stadiums (due to high demand) at high prices and massive commercial/overseas revenue from the overseas fanbases. Even a team with a new stadium like Blackburn will struggle to compete against the rapidly increasing revenue margins.

Major League Baseball in the US does not have salary cap. But there are still new champions every few years. The way they make it works, IMO, is through making players honor their contracts. This allows for teams to plan and build without fearing much that their best players can just be bought off . I think that is the way to go and will most likely be held as not restricting trade. Players sign the contract with free-will so legally they must honor the contract.

Agree with all the critical comments in this thread, but for me the answer isn't therefore not to go ahead with FPP; it's to go ahead with it IN TANDEM with an attempt to reduce the dispairty in revenues between the top 6 and everyone else.

Many interesting perspectives in this thread. IMO clearly any proper football fan would want to avoid a La Liga/Scottish PL situation where a few wealthy clubs have total dominance, but at the same time make sure football isn't turned into a billionaire playground (more than it already is).

In my view this calls for more than FFP (which I'm certain will be my favourite buttplug anyway). It demands regulations all over; in wages, transfer fees, TV rights, contract honoring/player power, squad size, loanees, etc. to level the playing field sufficiently for smaller clubs to be able to compete without rich owners. I think football needs a complete overhaul in most departments to reduce the impact of money, which in my eyes is ruining the game. Sadly, I think it will never happen.

The salary cap works in America as all teams play the same number of games or at least start the season trying to.

If we had a salary cap then clubs in European competition would be disadvantaged, with them needing a larger squad with the same total wage cap. If clubs playing more games were allowed a cap it would defeat the prupose. The alternative of a maximum wage would never pass EU scrutiny and would cause Jimmy Hill palpitations.

The other alternative I've seen proposed is the percentage of revenue cap (e.g. 60%) but that just ring fences the rich clubs.

Premier League ponders salary cap or financial fair play as new cash looms

Maybe there is hope after all.

Premier League ponders salary cap or financial fair play as new cash looms

The Premier League is considering the introduction of rules to control escalating player wages before the huge influx of cash from the next television deals in 2013-16. Potential rules presented to the clubs by the chief executive, Richard Scudamore, at a meeting in London on Thursday include a salary cap or a form of Uefa's financial fair play rules.

Some clubs feel strongly that the new TV deal, with £3bn already secured from the UK rights, should not be swallowed up by a new wave of pay inflation. But any rule change requires 14 of the 20 Premier League clubs to agree and it is not clear whether sufficient clubs will be in favour of strengthening financial regulations.

Manchester United and Arsenal, both of whom made profits in 2010-11, are understood to favour rules similar to Uefa's, which require clubs to move towards breaking even financially, not making losses. On Thursday Arsène Wenger supported that view, the Arsenal manager saying: "You should just get the resources you generate, that will determine the real size of the club."

However, some clubs see that as a move by the two with the greatest income to outspend everyone else. Emirates Marketing Project, whose path to becoming Premier League champions has been achieved by the club's Abu Dhabi owner, Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al-Nahyan, subsidising huge losses, are thought unlikely to support new regulations, even though they have consistently said they are aiming to break even. City argue that a level of investment by an owner to bankroll losses is necessary to lift a club to success on the field and commercially.

Other clubs, including Fulham, Everton, West Bromwich Albion, Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Tottenham Hotspur, are also understood to question whether clubs need new regulations, rather than being trusted to manage their own affairs.

Despite income rising every year, pay to players has risen steadily over the past decade. In 2001-02, clubs spent £1.1bn, 62% of their income, on players' wages. In 2010-11, the most recent year for which financial figures are available, income grew to £2.5bn but players' wages amounted to £1.8bn, 70% of the clubs' turnover. Despite massive commercial growth and the Premier League's growing popularity abroad, only eight of the 20 clubs made a profit in 2010-11.

West Ham United's chairman, David Gold, is vocally in favour of introducing rules to limit wages to help clubs make a profit, as is Dave Whelan, the Wigan Athletic owner. Peter Coates, the Stoke City owner, said all clubs would be helped by having to conform to agreed rules.

"I hope this view is widely shared: we cannot have all the new money going in inflated wages and payments to agents," Coates said. "There is no need to do that; we will have the same players, they won't get better because we pay them more. It should not be beyond us to find a formula which works for us all."

Ellis Short, the owner and chairman of Sunderland, who lost £8m last year having spent 77% of the club's income in wages, is understood to favour restricting salary increases to 10% in each of the new TV deal's three years.

The clubs have agreed to work on the proposals in two separate groups of 10, then for all 20 to meet to consider the issue in detail at the end of September. The Premier League did not want to comment in detail until further work has been done; a spokesman confirmed: "There is a process under way to examine potential further financial regulation."

Re: Premier League ponders salary cap or financial fair play as new cash looms

premier league clubs want more money to go to them, rather than players, is the upshot.

"to help clubs make a profit" is a grand euphamism.

fcuk Man U and Arse, they are trying to control affairs so that they become the two most powerful clubs here because of the income they can generate

Who does this hurt the most if a cap is introduced? Any financial gurus in here?

Back