• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Malky Mackay Saga

The sad thing is seeing people defending Whelan's comments, by saying things like 'he's only stating a fact' or 'what's wrong with what he's said?'

It just takes one ignorant persons comment to open the floodgates of casual racism

I used to admire Dave Whelan....

You think Vincent Tan is a chink?
You think female workers should be objectified?
You think making reference to someone's sexuality is cool?
And worse, you think every one else thinks it?

A nasty whiff of "Holier than thou" seems to have crept over this board. The answer to your questions, IMHO depends on people's mood - at times four "yes-es", at times four "nos" - not that I would possibly know what "everyone" thinks. But I do know that we all say things in private that we don't want to say in public, and most of us would not want our private messages or comments to be in the public domain.

is the man a scumbag? absolutely

would I like to be his friend? of course not

but he has a trade, and he has a right to earn a living

A nasty whiff of "Holier than thou" seems to have crept over this board. The answer to your questions, IMHO depends on people's mood - at times four "yes-es", at times four "nos" - not that I would possibly know what "everyone" thinks. But I do know that we all say things in private that we don't want to say in public, and most of us would not want our private messages or comments to be in the public domain.

Mackay's comments were made in 'semi'-private, I accept that, but whelan's comments were made in public, to the press....

He made the comments in the course of his job about colleagues, his boss, business associates and perspective employees. If any of us did that we'd get the sack and quite right too.

Should have ended with the sacking though. Does come across as a hypocritical moral crusade to me.

Should have ended with the sacking though. Does come across as a hypocritical moral crusade to me.
It might have died down after a while if Dave Whelan had kept his gob shut.

I do think that there are legitimate questions about how effectively Mackay can manage a racially diverse group of people or carry out other areas of his job.

There are so many(rightly so) black people in football in back or house positions I can not imagine he will have the respect of the staff at the training ground. I would not have employed him.

As for Whelan just an old fella who is in the wrong era. Not agreeing with anything he said but do not think he is a racist. The world and how we talk has changed a lot in even my lifetime.

There are so many(rightly so) black people in football in back or house positions I can not imagine he will have the respect of the staff at the training ground. I would not have employed him.

As for Whelan just an old fella who is in the wrong era. Not agreeing with anything he said but do not think he is a racist. The world and how we talk has changed a lot in even my lifetime.

Agreed.

Just a look back at the racial stereotyping which was considered perfectly acceptable on TV from the 1970s and 80s shows how much times have changed. I can only imagine how difficult for someone of Whelan' vintage to adjust to modern sensibilities.

Whelan is not a macaron. He knows damn well what is acceptable and what is not.. What he thinks in his own head should have stayed there.

Agreed.

Just a look back at the racial stereotyping which was considered perfectly acceptable on TV from the 1970s and 80s shows how much times have changed. I can only imagine how difficult for someone of Whelan' vintage to adjust to modern sensibilities.

Aw bless him, its not his fault. He's from another era so it doesnt matter what he says. Would you think its also ok if he referred to black players as "darkies" ?

Aw bless him, its not his fault. He's from another era so it doesnt matter what he says. Would you think its also ok if he referred to black players as "darkies" ?

Thankfully he has enough sense not to use such language in public and hopefully not in private either... The Secret Footballer | Dave Whelan - Bamboozled by brave new world

Do you think that John Sullivan was a racist for writing the script in which Del Boy uses the phrase "pop down to the P#ki shop" in Only Fools and Horses? Are people who still watch the un-edited copy of that episode also to be considered racist? Should David Jason be banned from our screens for not only uttering those words but for telling a joke about a Pakistani cloakroom attendant whilst on a radio show only a couple of years ago? :-k

Thankfully he has enough sense not to use such language in public and hopefully not in private either... The Secret Footballer | Dave Whelan - Bamboozled by brave new world

Do you think that John Sullivan was a racist for writing the script in which Del Boy uses the phrase "pop down to the P#ki shop" in Only Fools and Horses? Are people who still watch the un-edited copy of that episode also to be considered racist? Should David Jason be banned from our screens for not only uttering those words but for telling a joke about a Pakistani cloakroom attendant whilst on a radio show only a couple of years ago? :-k

That was the one I was thinking of, we as kids always used to say we were popping down the "p" shop and none of us meant it in a bad way as we liked the people in there and also the process of buying sweets.

At some point in the late 90's something happened I do not know where I learned it from if it was the media or whatever but it became wrong to use that word as Pakistani people found it offensive. So we all stopped using it as we would not want to offend someone, not difficult to do. But things did change quite a lot in my life time so I can understand why Whelan has found it a difficult subject to talk about and why younger ears have found it unpalatable.

As to the poster that said would it be ok if he referred to Black players as "darkies" Black people have experienced racism more in this country so there has been a movement to get rid of these sayings, I do not think he would ever use a word like that about Black people because race relations with Black people has been in the news for so long.

It has not been the case with Chinese people and I imagine he thought saying going for a "chinky" was a bit like saying going down the "chippy" when meaning fish and chip shop. I doubt he actually hates Chinese people.

Back