• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mac vs Windows

Once thing worth considering is that at some point Apple hardware becomes obsolete in that it won't support the latest OS, so getting the latest version normally gives you an extra year.

I am in this position with a Macbook Pro I bought about 5/6 years ago - went for the previous model (to save around ?ú200) but it now doesn't support Lion, whereas if I had bought the latest model at the time it would still be fine.

Also, FWIW, I bought my misses a Macbook Air for Christmas and compared the latest and previous models. Whilst on paper they were similar, the newer one was definitely faster (instant app opening, compared to 1 second) etc.

OS updates cost ?ú20.

I wasn't duped. I followed the advice of a Apple store manager who didn't stand to gain anything by recommending i get the product from a rival store as it seemed a better deal (that after i showed him the website btw so it wasn't like he brought it up). Besides i believe that if someone has genuine intentions you don't complain about it if the advice turns out to be wrong. It's an honest mistake from the man so i learn from it and move on, not everything warrants a complaint.

Credit to you, that seems a sensible approach.

If there has been any 'duping' it seems to be from Jigsaw who advertise "over ?ú600 off the list price" but they would prob argue thats off the list price when Apple stocked that model.

At the end of the day, you have a one generation old model at ?ú600 less than the latest model + prob with a reputable guarantee.
If you are happy with it (and what you spent) that's the main thing.

Credit to you, that seems a sensible approach.

If there has been any 'duping' it seems to be from Jigsaw who advertise "over ?ú600 off the list price" but they would prob argue thats off the list price when Apple stocked that model.

Therein lies the problem.

Kingdawson has spent ?ú934.80 on a discontinued model

The vastly superior model (albeit 128GB) on Apple's own website is only ?ú1,099

That's not a saving. He has been ripped off. Jigsaw should give him a refund

Be a little careful with looking at the specs you posted (if you are concerned about speed). For example:

Disk speed. Although platter RPM is an important measure, for many applications the size of cache and seek time on the disk is equally important.
Memory speed is as important as memory size, be sure to compare like for like.
Again, cache size and location on the processor can make a difference. I don't really keep up with hardware changes nowadays, but I doubt all 2.2 i7s are the same.

I concur. Memory speed and Cache are crucial to performance.

Personally, I think Apple are a bit ****y with their laptops and for the average consumer it's very difficult to navigate the different generations of computers and model variants.

Opposed to the millions of different computers that run Windows? Apple only have 5 laptops currently.

Therein lies the problem.

Kingdawson has spent ?ú934.80 on a discontinued model

The vastly superior model (albeit 128GB) on Apple's own website is only ?ú1,099

That's not a saving. He has been ripped off. Jigsaw should give him a refund

Sure, though to be fair the SSD is likely the most expensive component in the whole laptop so the 128GB additional storage is prob worth an extra ?ú200.

I agree you are 100% correct that he should be entitled to a refund though - say it was bought on the grounds that it was advertised as ?ú600 off Apple's price and that actually that's not true.

My post above was just to say that if he's happy with a few hundred quid saving and not bothered about it being the previous model then furry muff.

Back