• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Lukaku

Apparently only ones with offer on table if you believe media speculation, even said deal may be done by Thursday for 16m.

Well, unless it's a particularly good source I don't believe much of media speculation.

He could end up there, just like Hulk and Witsel (and Bruno Alves before them) if Zenit decide to blow everyone out of the water and make an offer that's way beyond what any rationally operated club thinks is reasonable. In which case we had about the same chance as we had signing David Luiz.

I think a lot of the bigger clubs will be in for him if his fee is anywhere near reasonable, which it will have to be for us to be in for him.

lol.. doing a search it appears Zenit are confident

http://en.fc-zenit.ru/champions/teams/benfica/14183.html

but on closer inspection on the choose player drop down menu...

Zenit FCUK YOU FFP we are buying the Benfica team haha

Yeah, classic website clitchy thingy.

Lukaku had been the principal summer target for Atlético, according to Kristof Terreur (@hlninengeland) — extensive talks before the WC, etc. and agreement in principle with Chelsea, but now he's saying Simeone isn't a fan and has ruled the deal out.

We already have a forward with a 10yd first touch and a questionable work rate.
I suppose if he doesn't need a hug from his mum every 10 minutes to convince him to do his job properly then he's a mild improvement.

We already have a forward with a 10yd first touch and a questionable work rate.
I suppose if he doesn't need a hug from his mum every 10 minutes to convince him to do his job properly then he's a mild improvement.

Careful what you say about Ade's mum. We used to have a song about that.

Interesting post...http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/07/08/5-reasons-tottenham-must-swoop-for-28m-benteke-over-lukaku/?

Must say the arguments seem quite sensible - especially as Benteke looks to ahead of schedule in his recovery

According to reports Spurs are set to table a bid of £20 million to bring Romelu Lukaku to the club but could they be better off going for Christian Benteke, a striker linked with a £28 million move to White Hart Lane back in January.

Here are five reasons why Benteke is a better fit all round.

1. The Villa man is the preferred choice for Belgium

While the Red Devils progressed all the way to the last-eight in Brazil, there was a definite Benteke-shaped hole at the World Cup for Belgium, with national team manager Marc Wilmots forced to switch between Lukaku and Divock Origi to limited effect throughout the tournament.

Benteke’s tally of six goals in 17 games for Belgium far outstrips Lukaku’s seven strikes in 32 games and explains why Wilmots preferred the Villa man. It could also leave many Belgian fans wandering ‘what if’ when it comes to Benteke and World Cup the striker missed after rupturing his Achilles tendon.

2. Chelsea will want big bucks in any permanent deal

While media reports have suggested that Tottenham will offer £20 million for Lukaku, the reality is that parent club Chelsea may push for a more significant transfer fee, given the undoubted potential of 21-year-old to one day replacement Didier Drogba at the club.

Signed in a deal worth £17 million when you factor in add-ons, Jose Mourinho has made no secret of his desire to balance the books at Stamford Bridge, meaning the final agreed fee for any permanent move could exceed Benteke’s £28 million price tag.

3. Aston Villa are a far worse team than Everton

There’s something of an old football cliché that claims a player is only as good as the team that surrounds him and if that’s something you buy into then it’s difficult to argue with the assertion that Benteke has exceeded expectations while Lukaku has merely met them.

A return of 29 goals in 60 Premier League games is sensational enough, but that Benteke has managed that for an unfashionable Villa side at the wrong end of the table is sensational and far outstrips the 15 in 31 top-flight games scored by Lukaku for top-four-chasing Everton.

4. Romelu Lukaku isn’t as good in the air

As this comparison from their Premier League performances last season showcases, while Lukaku may manage marginally more shots on target, when it comes to aerial ability, there is one very clear winner.

On average Benteke managed roughly one headed goal every five games compared with one every ten when it comes to Lukaku.

The Villa man was also superior when it came to headed duels, winning almost three times as many battles with other players in the air – a surprising statistic when you consider Lukaku’s muscular build.

Benteke is also superior when it comes to passing headers, managing three times as many to further showcase his superior ability at leading the line as a lone striker. Pochettino take note.

5. Christian Benteke would be happier at Tottenham

Lukaku moved to Chelsea off the back of a promise that he would one day replace Didier Drogba as the Blues main striker competing for Premier League titles and top honours in Europe.

As such, switching to Tottenham – a team in the Europa League – on a permanent basis would be regarded as a step down for the 21-year-old and could prompt him to head to alternative destination Atletico Madrid on loan.

But Benteke would welcome the challenge of stepping up to Spurs and leading the line as they look up the table to a top four finish rather than down to the bottom three, as he has been doing with Villa.

Unless our goal is simply to battle it out with Everton for 6th then none of them are.

Its about what player best fits a teams system, not what clubs are after or would want a certain player as to whether they're good enough or not. Fletcher was a key cog in Fergies' team, he wouldnt of got in our centre midfield at the time. Soldado is a bigger European name than all mentioned above, that hasn't worked out so well. Far as Im concerned Benteke, Lukaku, Bony would all score a load at Spurs...

They'd all make great second choice backups, but only at a reasonable price. Once a player is PL established that ain't happening.

What would you do then? Or do you think we are suitably equipped as it is?

I'd rather stick with what we have then splash 15-20 million on any of the ones mentioned here. We need to look abroad if we're going to spend that kind of money, but I'm not really clued up on who's hot around the world at the moment.

I'd rather stick with what we have then splash 15-20 million on any of the ones mentioned here. We need to look abroad if we're going to spend that kind of money, but I'm not really clued up on who's hot around the world at the moment.

To be honest I dont think we could do much better if we tried than having Ade and Soldado to pick from. And I dont think you could get a much better 3rd choice than Kane either to be fair....

No, if it was clear there would be some genuine interest from top sides. Benteke looks a one season wonder to me - not to mention the injury he suffered and whether he can over come it. Lukaku looks a luxury player with question marks over his work rate - from what i have seen and read on him he'd drive the majority of this boatd, including those desperate to sign him, mad.

Remy is the pick of the bunch

Back