• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Levy & selling players

Danishfurniturelover

the prettiest spice girl
It seems according to reports that we have to sell before we buy due to squad size. All these people that think levy is some sort of genius, do you honestly think we are going to be able to shift players and for a good price or will the buying clubs hold us over a barrel because Levy has ballsed up once again.

I really do not rate Levy when it comes to the buying and selling of football players.

time is running out. The best we can hope for is loaning out the players Poch doesnt want. I think Dawson is the only one we will sell permanently, with the likes of Chadli, Sandro, Chiriches and Soldado going out on loan.....also the longer we wait for Schneiderlin, the less likely his signing will be. If we get to deadline day with this one then the Saints will just keep him and expect the player to get over it like modric did for us when he was denied his Chelski move. .......Levy isnt totally to blame this time round, i think its a difficult market to shift any deadwood

It seems according to reports that we have to sell before we buy due to squad size. All these people that think levy is some sort of genius, do you honestly think we are going to be able to shift players and for a good price or will the buying clubs hold us over a barrel because Levy has ballsed up once again.

I really do not rate Levy when it comes to the buying and selling of football players.

Can he win?

If we sold early, all the prices on players we want to buy would go up, because clubs would know we would be desperate to buy.

Poch was also saying today that he's only had 25 days to evaluate the squad.

time is running out. The best we can hope for is loaning out the players Poch doesnt want. I think Dawson is the only one we will sell permanently, with the likes of Chadli, Sandro, Chiriches and Soldado going out on loan.....also the longer we wait for Schneiderlin, the less likely his signing will be. If we get to deadline day with this one then the Saints will just keep him and expect the player to get over it like modric did for us when he was denied his Chelski move. .......Levy isnt totally to blame this time round, i think its a difficult market to shift any deadwood

Is there much deadwood? Carroll, Mason, Obika, Khumalo, Ceballos, Veljkovic, Fredericks and Obika will all be sold or go on loan to the championship, which has a later window anyway. BAE seems to effectively have been released. That's 8 of the 31 overage players gone (and Veljkovic underage).

So all we are talking about is letting Dawson and/or Kaboul go if we get Musacchio, and Dembele and/or Paulinho go if we get Schniederlin. Naughton now has to stay till January till Walnut Whip arrives.

We certainly need to keep Chadli (our only naturally left-sided player) and Soldado (we only have 3 CFs, which is the minimum).

Last edited:

I suspect we'll try to fling one of our unwanted players at Southampton as a makeweight in any Schneiderlin deal. It's also reasonable to assume that the likes of Carroll, Veljkovic and co. will find loans relatively easy to secure, so they aren't a problem. And Naughton will likely be sold if we get Yedlin, so in addition to Dawson that's another one on the 'outgoing' list. Really, I think we'll only take a substantive hit on any central midfielder we try to flog between now and September (likely one of Dembele, Paulinho, Sandro or Capoue) and the likes of BAE, Bongani Khumalo and Obika, all of whom I doubt are very high on the priority list of clubs on the market at the moment.

We'll take a hit on the market value of a couple of players this summer, and admittedly that is Levy/Baldini's fault to an extent for not wrapping up the outgoings earlier, but ultimately it's not too much of a loss, so it's not worth getting too worked up over.

Can he win?

If we sold early, all the prices on players we want to buy would go up, because clubs would know we would be desperate to buy.

Is there much deadwood? Carroll, Mason, Obika, Khumalo, Ceballos, Veljkovic, Fredericks and Obika will all be sold or go on loan to the championship, which has a later window anyway. BAE seems to effectively have been released. That's 8 of the 31 overage players gone (and Veljkovic underage).

So all we are talking about is letting Dawson and/or Kaboul go if we get Musacchio, and Dembele and/or Paulinho go if we get Schniederlin. Naughton now has to stay till January till Walnut Whip arrives.

We certainly need to keep Chadli (our only naturally left-sided player) and Soldado (we only have 3 CFs, which is the minimum).

Between Kaboul as an RB option and Fredericks as a direct backup for Walker, I think we have enough cover to all Naughton to go his own way should a club offer us a decent price for him.

We'll do a job lot deal moving on a few players to somewhere like Hull, Sunderland or QPR

Between Kaboul as an RB option and Fredericks as a direct backup for Walker, I think we have enough cover to all Naughton to go his own way should a club offer us a decent price for him.

If Walker was fit, I'd agree. But remember how screwed we got going into last season with only one LB (Verts and Fryers at LB are much better options than Kaboul and Fredericks at RB too).

We'll do a job lot deal moving on a few players to somewhere like Hull, Sunderland or QPR

We've do it a few times before haven't we - Chimbonda, Malbranque and Kaboul to Sunderland; Davis, Mendes, and Pamarot to Portsmouth.

Hull have apparently been enquiring about a double deal for Dawson and Rose (two Yorkshiremen, so perhaps wouldn't be too reluctant to move back up there).

Dembele (reuniting with Koeman) and Kaboul (lived on the South coast before) to Soton as part of the Schniederlin deal would be ideal.

I dont agree that time is running out, its all relative - A massive amount of business is crammed into that final week/last few days of window. Its only the real big boys who ever seem to finish their business nice and early and the rest are left to scrap it out for the remains....

Also remember that this window we've sold 4 players (Defoe, Livermore, Siggy, Falque) and bought 3 (Davies, Vorm, Dier) - so we are 1 player down on last year and have made a £9m profit.

The only reason our squad appears so bloated is because 7-8 of our youth team have turned 21 now, so have to be named in the squad or sold/loaned.

If Walker was fit, I'd agree. But remember how screwed we got going into last season with only one LB (Verts and Fryers at LB are much better options than Kaboul and Fredericks at RB too).

Fair point.

We've do it a few times before haven't we - Chimbonda, Malbranque and Kaboul to Sunderland; Davis, Mendes, and Pamarot to Portsmouth.

Hull have apparently been enquiring about a double deal for Dawson and Rose (two Yorkshiremen, so perhaps wouldn't be too reluctant to move back up there).

Dembele (reuniting with Koeman) and Kaboul (lived on the South coast before) to Soton as part of the Schniederlin deal would be ideal.

Ideally I'd like to see him stay. His unique mix of pace, strength and aerial ability sets him apart from Chiriches, Verts and Dier, and I much prefer him to Daws at present. We'll need him against the West Hams and Crystal Palaces of this world. This is a fairly recent realization for me, but he could be very important to our ability to cope with different playing styles this season: hence my desire to see him stay, nominally as the back-up RB but in reality as one of our five CBs.

A lot of people working in football thinks he's very, very good at buying and selling players. His job is to get a deal that is right for us. What can HE do when players refuse to leave (ie. Bentley, Gomes, Dawson)?

I do think that a lot of our players are given far too lucrative contracts, but that's a slightly different matter.

I don't think we can just blame Levy and Baldini. This problem has come around as a result of circumstances out of our control. Had we not had the World Cup this summer then Poch would've been working with the full squad from the very beginning and we would likely have moved on a few more players. There are players who are injured and haven't been available for Poch to assess and players who do not wish to leave for pastures new.

Townsend, and according to Awesome Dawson, Ericksen can both play on the left. I think Chadli gives us nothing extra and I would be happy to see the back of him

I would have cappoue, chadli, dembele, naughton, carroll and veljokovic all sold tomorrow morning, theres 6 players there off the wages bill and also at least 20 - 30 million in money in.

cappoue i cant stand and cant see nay place for him
chadli i feel will struggle to even get on the bench
dembele is a good player but i would rather play sandro, paul, holtby and erikson through the middle
i prefer federicks as a backup to walker than naughton
carroll and velkovij wont make the bench once the season starts and all international players are fit

The way I view it is this

You sell late to sell at a premium will subsequently mean buying also at a premium therefore any benefit would not be realised.

I'm more concerned about none of the ****ers wanting to go and hanging round for years like Bentley and Gomes

Depends on what you use for your criteria of rating

From a financial perspective, the club figures in Levy's times shows he is extremely good at buying/selling players, even more so when you look at our transfer record in the decade or so before.

Re this season, hard to say Levy/Baldini/whoever, we have a new coach, a world cup year and some injuries carrying over from end of last season, perhaps Levy is willing to take the risk of selling short or holding on to an unwanted player until January to ensure Poch gets a chance to evaluate and make a comfortable decision on a players future at the club.

Back