• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

leedspurs is going to explode hahaha

Danishfurniturelover

the prettiest spice girl
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...conservative-politics-lead-people-racist.html

Right-wingers tend to be less intelligent than left-wingers, and people with low childhood intelligence tend to grow up to have racist and anti-gay views, says a controversial new study.
Conservative politics work almost as a 'gateway' into prejudice against others, say the Canadian academics.
The paper analysed large UK studies which compared childhood intelligence with political views in adulthood across more than 15,000 people.

The authors claim that people with low intelligence

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...olitics-lead-people-racist.html#ixzz1lGE33mAM

Crucially, people's educational level is not what determines whether they are racist or not - it's innate intelligence, according to the academics.

Social status also appears to play no part.

The study, published in Psychological Science, claims that right-wing ideology forms a 'pathway' for people with low reasoning ability to become prejudiced against groups such as other races and gay people.

'Cognitive abilities are critical in forming impressions of other people and in being open minded,' say the researchers.

'Individuals with lower cognitive abilities may gravitate

'It provides a sense of order.'
The study used information from two UK studies from 1958 and 1970 , where several thousand children were assessed for intelligence at age 10 and 11, and then asked political questions aged 33.
The 1958 National Child Development involved 4,267 men and 4,537 women born in 1958.

The British Cohort Study involved 3,412 men and 3,658 women born in 1970.
It's the first time the data from these studies has been used in this way.

In adulthood, the children were asked whether they agreed with statements such as, 'I wouldn't mind working with people from other races,' and 'I wouldn't mind if a family of a different race moved next door.

so what do you make to that then, me i think it is a laod of gonad*s:D im right wing:D

I don't believe in right or left wing (since they are of the same beast), but people would perceive me to be very left, and I have a high IQ.

Think that pretty much makes it a fact :mickey:

All the comments I will make are based on what I see in American politics/ideologies. I'm also describing in broad terms, so don't feel like I'm singling out when I'm generalizing trends as a whole.
---------------------------------------------------------
There are plenty of conservatives that are not racist or homophobic, and obviously there are many smart conservatives, but as a whole, right-wing policy is generally in favor with mainstream Christian faith. Religion is the yoke around the necks of the people that politicians can use to sway voters one way or another, making private matters public, political affairs. Like I said, conservatives are very cunning strategists and know how to get the power of the people behind them.

A fitting example here would be abortion. Christians don't like abortion. Even if a woman was raped and became impregnated, and the ensuing birth would kill the mother, abortion is still bad. Politicians know that these Christians will come out and vote, only because they are so adamant in their stance on abortion. The actual platform that the candidate is running on becomes moot, so they can enact whatever other policies they want to just as long as they stand firm in the face of abortion.
Furthermore, I've noticed that conservatives blow things out of proportion way more than left-wingers. Senator Jon Kyl, a Republican, stated that more than 90% of what Planned Parenthood did was performing abortions (it's actually 3%). Another example: John McCain believed that allowing gays to serve in the military would make soldiers distracted and lead to a less effective combat unit.
Now, gays can serve in the military openly and die to protect their country... the country that won't even allow them to get married (except in a few states). Again, minding OTHER people's business becomes a campaign issue and regardless of actual policy issues, people will vote in a manner that will ensure their xenophobia lives on in our laws.
Basically, these politicians put out falsehoods that they know they can count on their supporters to believe without any reservations because it confirms their own prejudiced world views.

When Barack Obama became elected, all the stupids started coming out of the woodwork. First, you had the rise of the Sarah Palin. This ought to come with no debate: she is stupid. Maybe that's why the right gravitated towards her bubbly fudgetard dipbrick self. Then the attacks on the president's citizenship (did they REALLY think they'd let a foreigner run, and then become president?). They invented a boogeyman, and then they believed in him because they kept telling themselves the lies over and over again. Finally, all the attacks on Obama are unprecedented. Republicans only care about removing Obama from office. They don't care if they replace him with a steaming bowl of porridge, because that bowl of porridge isn't a black man. Some of the stuff Newt Gingrich has said in the past... let's just say he doesn't look on (and to quote Donald Trump here) "the Blacks" favorably. Bigotry all around.

Next, the right-wing view on science...
Here in the states, evolution and climate change are still debatable topics. This really insults the intelligence of many people who see these as truths, much like gravity. The media of course has its hands dirty in all this. They cater to bigots and treat each issue like it's in a 50/50 balance. Also, more scientists are liberal than conservative, and one argument I've seen for this is that scientists question everything by nature. In fact, that is how the scientific method is conducted: removing ALL, or as much uncertainty as possible in order to reject the null hypothesis. However, a conservative's 'blind faith' is not up for questioning; it simply is.

Finally, gun control...
Guns are bad. I understand that people kill people, but having a gun in your hands make it a whole lot easier. Right-wing nutjobs have a point here though: they need guns to protect themselves from all the other nutjobs that have guns (as an aside, people can go to a gunshow and buy guns without any paperwork or background checks, and leave the gunshow with that gun). But it's not enough for them to just own a gun; they want to carry them around in public places too! Concealed! Even in bars!
That is some fudging stupid brick right there. The last thing I want is a drunk-ass who thinks he's John fudging Wayne to whip out his piece just because Jim Bob looked at his wife the wrong way.

I had to type this up piecemeal, so it's probably a bit disjointed, but I find that as someone who's liberal, I came to a lot of my own worldviews on my own or in discussions with others, not from watching television or reading the news. However, I always try to keep an open mind and can accept the fact when I'm wrong.

I saw this earlier and this has left me in a bit of a quandary. I have long thought that everything published in the Daily Mail is rubbish but...

two things -

one, the report is from the Canadian - they arnt even real americans ffs. Just like brick foreigners, innit.

two - i love the fact an article talking down about right wingers is in the Daily Mail!!!!!

I don't believe in right or left wing (since they are of the same beast), but people would perceive me to be very left, and I have a high IQ.

Think that pretty much makes it a fact :mickey:

oddly, i consider myself slighly right of the centre - but having done a few "quizes" recently, it appear i am a fair way to the left! (except fiscally i think!)

two things -

one, the report is from the Canadian - they arnt even real americans ffs. Just like brick foreigners, innit.

two - i love the fact an article talking down about right wingers is in the Daily Mail!!!!!

It's going to be worth popping back there tomorrow to read the reaction of the frothing idiots below the line

Lol!!

I would challenge a number of assumptions.

I would venture that in the UK people who live in conservtive areas have higher educational attainment and achieve university degrees.

The areas of the UK where the British National Party have won in European Elections has been in Labour heartlands......(East London, Yorkshire and The North West) Does that mean that working class people, (lowere economic status) are racist? Or is it that they are adversly effected by waves of unchecked immigrants pouring in?

I am not defined by left or right.

I would legalise all drugs, I believe in gay marriage, I am pro choice, I believe in low taxes and a small state, I believe in free education and heathcare for all, I believe in a powerful military, I want the Uk to give foreign aid, i'm from a single parent household and went to a crap state comprehensive, but voted Tory last time......where can I be pigeon holed?

It's all flimflam.

Next, the right-wing view on science...
Here in the states, evolution and climate change are still debatable topics. This really insults the intelligence of many people who see these as truths, much like gravity. The media of course has its hands dirty in all this. They cater to bigots and treat each issue like it's in a 50/50 balance. Also, more scientists are liberal than conservative, and one argument I've seen for this is that scientists question everything by nature. In fact, that is how the scientific method is conducted: removing ALL, or as much uncertainty as possible in order to reject the null hypothesis. However, a conservative's 'blind faith' is not up for questioning; it simply is.

You can't help yourself with science can you, nobody in the world denies climate change, it was warmer today than tonight, so yes climate change is obvious and clear.

Now, "global warming", science has not proved this at all, the IPCC is a stooge for additional taxation and creating new boom green markets they (or rather their corporate funders, Gore the first green billionaire in his 8Bed Indoor Swimming Pool, Helipad Mansion, give me a break!) are behind IMO. Now governments have broken the psychological resistance to ?ú1.40+ litre prices, highly questionable peak oil claims (made by the oil producers) ''it's gonna cost you, there is not much left...''. With most of these issues, if you stand against this behemoth you risk your career being ruined.

Scientists against global warming;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tream_scientific_assessment_of_global_warming

"inadequacies of current global climate modeling. Their views on climate change are usually described in more detail in their biographical articles.

Freeman Dyson, Professor Emeritus of the School of Natural Sciences, Institute for Advanced Study; Fellow of the Royal Society said in a 2011 email exchange with a journalist: "First, the computer models are very good at solving the equations of fluid dynamics but very bad at describing the real world. The real world is full of things like clouds and vegetation and soil and dust which the models describe very poorly. Second, we do not know whether the recent changes in climate are on balance doing more harm than good. The strongest warming is in cold places like Greenland. More people die from cold in winter than die from heat in summer. Third, there are many other causes of climate change besides human activities, as we know from studying the past. Fourth, the carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is strongly coupled with other carbon reservoirs in the biosphere, vegetation and top-soil, which are as large or larger. It is misleading to consider only the atmosphere and ocean, as the climate models do, and ignore the other reservoirs. Fifth, the biological effects of CO2 in the atmosphere are beneficial, both to food crops and to natural vegetation. The biological effects are better known and probably more important than the climatic effects. Sixth, summing up the other five reasons, the climate of the earth is an immensely complicated system and nobody is close to understanding it."[7]

Richard Lindzen, Alfred P. Sloan Professor of Atmospheric Science at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and member of the National Academy of Sciences has made his views clear in several newspaper articles:"We are quite confident (1) that global mean temperature is about 0.5 ??C higher than it was a century ago; (2) that atmospheric levels of CO2 have risen over the past two centuries; and (3) that CO2 is a greenhouse gas whose increase is likely to warm the earth (one of many, the most important being water vapor and clouds). But – and I cannot stress this enough – we are not in a position to confidently attribute past climate change to CO2 or to forecast what the climate will be in the future.".[8] "[T]here has been no question whatsoever that CO2 is an infrared absorber (i.e., a greenhouse gas – albeit a minor one), and its increase should theoretically contribute to warming. Indeed, if all else were kept equal, the increase in CO2 should have led to somewhat more warming than has been observed."[9][10]

Nils-Axel M?Ârner, retired head of the Paleogeophysics and Geodynamics department at Stockholm University and former Chairman of the INQUA Commission on Sea Level Changes and Coastal Evolution (1999–2003) said in 2005 evidence given to a select committee: "In conclusion, observational data do not support the sea level rise scenario. On the contrary, they seriously contradict it. Therefore we should free the world from the condemnation of becoming extensively flooded in the near future."[11]

Garth Paltridge, Visiting Fellow ANU and retired Chief Research Scientist, CSIRO Division of Atmospheric Research and retired Director of the Institute of the Antarctic Cooperative Research Centre said in his 2009 book: "There are good and straightforward scientific reasons to believe that the burning of fossil fuel and consequent increase in atmospheric carbon dioxide will lead to an increase in the average temperature of the world above that which would otherwise be the case. Whether the increase will be large enough to be noticeable is still an unanswered question."[12]

Philip Stott, professor emeritus of biogeography at the University of London said in a 2007 opinion piece: "It is claimed, on the basis of computer models, that this should lead to 1.1 – 6.4 C warming. What is rarely noted is that we are already three-quarters of the way into this in terms of radiative forcing, but we have only witnessed a 0.6 (+/-0.2) C rise, and there is no reason to suppose that all of this is due to humans."[13]

Hendrik Tennekes, retired Director of Research, Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute said in a 2009 essay: "The blind adherence to the harebrained idea that climate models can generate 'realistic' simulations of climate is the principal reason why I remain a climate skeptic."[14]
"

Last edited:
Scientists arguing that global warming is primarily caused by natural processes

Attribution of climate change, based on Meehl et al. (2004), which represents the consensus view
1979ÔÇô2009: Over the past 3 decades, temperature has not correlated with sunspot trends. The top plot is of sunspots, while below is the global atmospheric temperature trend. El Chich??n and Pinatubo were volcanoes, while El Ni??o is part of ocean variability. The effect of greenhouse gas emissions is on top of those fluctuations.

1860ÔÇô1980: In contrast, earlier there was apparent similarity between trends in terrestrial sea surface temperatures and sunspots (related to solar magnetic activity: TSI varies slightly while UV and indirectly cosmic rays vary somewhat more).Both consensus and non-consensus scientific views involve multiple climate change influences including solar variability and internal forcings, plus human influences such as greenhouse gas emissions and land use change.[15] However, they differ on issues such as how sensitive they think the climate system is to increases in greenhouse gases.[15][16]Scientists in this section have made comments that the observed warming is more likely attributable to natural causes than to human activities. Their views on climate change are usually described in more detail in their biographical articles.

Khabibullo Abdusamatov, mathematician and astronomer at Pulkovo Observatory of the Russian Academy of Sciences said in a 2007 news agency interview: "Global warming results not from the emission of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, but from an unusually high level of solar radiation and a lengthy ÔÇô almost throughout the last century ÔÇô growth in its intensity."[17]

Sallie Baliunas, astronomer, Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics said in a 2002 lecture for The Heritage Foundation: "Most of the increase in the air's concentration of greenhouse gases from human activitiesÔÇöover 80 percentÔÇöoccurred after the 1940s. That means that the strong early 20th century warming must be largely, if not entirely, natural."[18]"The coincident changes in the sun's changing energy output and temperature records on earth tend to argue that the sun has driven a major portion of the 20th century temperature change."[18] "[T]he recent warming trend in the surface temperature record cannot be caused by the increase of human-made greenhouse gases in the air."[19][not in citation given]

Ian Clark, hydrogeologist, professor, Department of Earth Sciences, University of Ottawa said in a 2004 newspaper letter:"That portion of the scientific community that attributes climate warming to CO2 relies on the hypothesis that increasing CO2, which is in fact a minor greenhouse gas, triggers a much larger water vapour response to warm the atmosphere. This mechanism has never been tested scientifically beyond the mathematical models that predict extensive warming, and are confounded by the complexity of cloud formation ÔÇô which has a cooling effect. ... We know that [the sun] was responsible for climate change in the past, and so is clearly going to play the lead role in present and future climate change. And interestingly... solar activity has recently begun a downward cycle."[20]

Chris de Freitas, Associate Professor, School of Geography, Geology and Environmental Science, University of Auckland said in a 2006 newspaper article: "There is evidence of global warming. ... But warming does not confirm that carbon dioxide is causing it. Climate is always warming or cooling. There are natural variability theories of warming. To support the argument that carbon dioxide is causing it, the evidence would have to distinguish between human-caused and natural warming. This has not been done."[21]

David Douglass, solid-state physicist, professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of Rochester was reported to have said in a 2007 paper in the International Journal of Climatology: "The observed pattern of warming, comparing surface and atmospheric temperature trends, does not show the characteristic fingerprint associated with greenhouse warming. The inescapable conclusion is that the human contribution is not significant and that observed increases in carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases make only a negligible contribution to climate warming."[22]

Don Easterbrook, emeritus professor of geology, Western Washington University said in a 2006 presentation to the Geological Society of America: "Glaciers advanced from about 1890ÔÇô1920, retreated rapidly from ~1925 to ~1945, readvanced from ~1945 to ~1977, and have been retreating since the present warm cycle began in 1977. ... Because the warming periods in these oscillations occurred well before atmospheric CO2 began to rise rapidly in the 1940s, they could not have been caused by increased atmospheric CO2, and global warming since 1900 could well have happened without any effect of CO2. If the cycles continue as in the past, the current warm cycle should end soon and global temperatures should cool slightly until about 2035, then warm about 0.5 ??C from ~2035 to ~2065, and cool slightly until 2100."[23]

William M. Gray, Professor Emeritus and head of The Tropical Meteorology Project, Department of Atmospheric Science, Colorado State University said in a 2006 newspaper interview: "I am of the opinion that [global warming] is one of the greatest hoaxes ever perpetrated on the American people."[24]

William Happer, physicist specializing in optics and spectroscopy, Princeton University said in a 2006 newspaper interview: "All the evidence I see is that the current warming of the climate is just like past warmings. In fact, it's not as much as past warmings yet, and it probably has little to do with carbon dioxide, just like past warmings had little to do with carbon dioxide"[25]

William Kininmonth, meteorologist, former Australian delegate to World Meteorological Organization Commission for Climatology wrote in a 2004 article and book: "There has been a real climate change over the late nineteenth and twentieth centuries that can be attributed to natural phenomena. Natural variability of the climate system has been underestimated by IPCC and has, to now, dominated human influences."[26]
David Legates, associate professor of geography and director of the Center for Climatic Research, University of Delaware wrote in a 2006 article for the National Center for Policy Analysis: "About half of the warming during the 20th century occurred prior to the 1940s, and natural variability accounts for all or nearly all of the warming."[27]

Tad Murty, oceanographer; adjunct professor, Departments of Civil Engineering and Earth Sciences, University of Ottawa said in 2005: Global warming "is the biggest scientific hoax being perpetrated on humanity. There is no global warming due to human anthropogenic activities. The atmosphere hasnÔÇÖt changed much in 280 million years, and there have always been cycles of warming and cooling. The Cretaceous period was the warmest on earth. You could have grown tomatoes at the North Pole"[28]

Tim Patterson, paleoclimatologist and Professor of Geology at Carleton University in Canada said in a 2007 newspaper article: "There is no meaningful correlation between CO2 levels and Earth's temperature over this [geologic] time frame. In fact, when CO2 levels were over ten times higher than they are now, about 450 million years ago, the planet was in the depths of the absolute coldest period in the last half billion years. On the basis of this evidence, how could anyone still believe that the recent relatively small increase in CO2 levels would be the major cause of the past century's modest warming?"[29][30]

Ian Plimer, Professor emeritus of Mining Geology, The University of Adelaide said in a 2002 television debate: "Natural climate changes occur unrelated to carbon dioxide contents. We've had many, many times in the recent past where we've rapidly gone into a greenhouse and the carbon dioxide content has been far, far lower than the current carbon dioxide content... It looks as if carbon dioxide actually follows climate change rather than drives it".[31]

Nicola Scafetta, research scientist in the physics department at Duke University said in a 2010 article originally written for the Italian magazine La Chimica e lÔÇÖIndustria (Chemistry and Industry): "At least 60% of the warming of the Earth observed since 1970 appears to be induced by natural cycles which are present in the solar system. A climatic stabilization or cooling until 2030ÔÇô2040 is forecast by the phenomenological model."[32][33]

Tom Segalstad, head of the Geology Museum at the University of Oslo said in a 2007 presentation to the 9th International Symposium on Mining in the Arctic: "The IPCC's temperature curve (the so-called 'hockey stick' curve) must be in error, because the Medieval warm period (the "Climate Optimum") and the Little Ice Age both are absent from their curve, on which the IPCC bases its future projections and recommended mitigation. All measurements of solar luminosity and 14C isotopes show that there is at present an increasing solar radiation which gives a warmer climate (Willson, R.C & Hudson, H.S. 1991: The Sun's luminosity over a complete solar cycle. Nature 351, 42ÔÇô44; and Coffey, H.E., Erwin, E.H. & Hanchett, C.D.: Solar databases for global change models. www.ngdc.noaa.gov/stp/SOLAR/solarda3.html). Warmer climate was previously perceived as an optimum climate and not catastrophic. ... On a wet basis the Earth's atmosphere consists by mass of ~73.5% nitrogen, ~22.5% oxygen, ~2.7% water, and ~1.25% argon. CO2 in air is in minimal amount, ~0.05% by mass, and with minimal capacity (~2%) to influence the "Greenhouse Effect" compared to water vapor"[34]

The latest data from the met office confirms the earth is now cooling and could be entering an extensive cool period.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...A-scientists-right-Thames-freezing-again.html

The earth has stopped warming ad we have entered an extended period of solar inactivity over the next 90 years.

Thought this was a pertinent graph from that;

article-2093264-1180A4F1000005DC-28_468x286.jpg

I thought that 2012 was predicted to be a solar activity peak though(?), so if you have shares in green business's get out soon after!

Attachments

• article-2093264-1180A4F1000005DC-28_468x286.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 1
The latest data from the met office confirms the earth is now cooling and could be entering an extensive cool period.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...A-scientists-right-Thames-freezing-again.html

The earth has stopped warming ad we have entered an extended period of solar inactivity over the next 90 years.

That Mail piece is a complete misrepresentation of the data. According to NASA 2011 was the ninth warmest year on record

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2011-temps.html

616907main1_gisstemp_2011_graph_lrg%5B1%5D-670.jpg

Thought this was a pertinent graph from that;

I thought that 2012 was predicted to be a solar activity peak though(?), so if you have shares in green business's get out soon after!

Like I said, a compete misrepresentation of the data.

Daily Mail... thought you were going to stop reading that chich?!

I read em all, guardian is good for culture the theatre and that, the telegrapgh is good for the cycling best paper around for that to be honest. Also most stories get linked by the current news page of newsnow.

For newsnow i have tottenham, youth football, road cycling, current english news.

I saw this earlier and this has left me in a bit of a quandary. I have long thought that everything published in the Daily Mail is rubbish but...

I am in love with you milo, not taking the tinkle here i am just in love with you.

Did you hear they might finally be rebuilding the west pier in brighton not an ugly modern one but a replica of the old beautiful victorian one. As a fellow pier lover i thought you would be happy.

When I first started reading about these things some years ago I gave ?ú100 for each family member to a carbon offsetting charity for christmas, to effectively make me and all my family carbon neutral for the year, so I was drawn in as much as most and had/have a vested interest in it being correct to protect my world view, but I believe it was wrong and I wasted nealy a grand!

Anyway shouldn't we get back to 'anyone voting conservative is a redkneck, rascist and/or fascist', I'm way to inline with Leeds and I feel the universe may really be out of kilter, maybe there is a pole shift on the way!

Back