• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kyle Walker

I really don't think that it is viewed as a reasonable fee by them. They didn't want to pay it and were negotiating for lower until the Alves thing broke. If they had got Alves, who knows whether they'd have ultimately gone as high as they have.

Well, if you go into negotiations willing to pay the seller's fee to start off with, either you've fudged up or they have - and chances are it's you more than it will be them. So even if Levy stated 40m, I think City would have balked at paying it at first. Just sensible business. The question I'm unsure about is whether we could have held out for, say, 60m, and have City still meet it after the shock of the Alves rejection. I'm leaning towards 'yes', which is why I think there's also a damn good reason Levy let him go for less than he perhaps would have. But, in those circumstances, City would probably say 50m is reasonable compared to what they could have been forced to pay - and that perception might spread among to the other chickenf*cers in Manchester, who might now fancy a 'reasonable' bid or two for some of our other players.

It saddens me that you do not believe in Poch, because by implication you think he would agree to sell the best RWB in the country without having a clear plan for how he will replace him and improve the squad all round as a result.

Keep the faith!!!

I am with you and also would say:

Walker wanted to leave, thats the major point in any transfer negotiation, if the player wants to go what do you do? Make is stay against his will, risk squad harmony which has been to date Poch's biggest strength, or do you do what we did, blood in Trips end of last season and get the business done quick so the club can move on.

Price, ability and replacements are a non argument in many cases as again I say, Walker wanted to go. I will thank him for what he has done and will back his replacement and continue to back Poch and the club.

Conflicting reports emerging as to the fee involved - numerous City journos on Twitter all reporting that it's 45m + 5m in addons, which would put him *below* the world's most expensive defender (As of now, John Stones). That comes from a club briefing, apparently.

http://www.mcfcwatch.com/2017/07/14...l-pay-for-kyle-walker-not-a-world-record-fee/

Meanwhile, much shakier ITK from our lot ('I'm hearing', and so on) suggests that's 55m pounds inclusive of addons - which *would* make him the most expensive defender ever.

http://tottenhamhotspur.blogspot.ca/2017/07/walker-fee-will-be-55m-plus-add-ons.html

If it's the former fee, that's even lower than 50 goddamned million. :mad: Hopefully it's all flimflam.

Conflicting reports emerging as to the fee involved - numerous City journos on Twitter all reporting that it's 45m + 5m in addons, which would put him *below* the world's most expensive defender (As of now, John Stones). That comes from a club briefing, apparently.

http://www.mcfcwatch.com/2017/07/14...l-pay-for-kyle-walker-not-a-world-record-fee/

Meanwhile, much shakier ITK from our lot ('I'm hearing', and so on) suggests that's 55m pounds inclusive of addons - which *would* make him the most expensive defender ever.

http://tottenhamhotspur.blogspot.ca/2017/07/walker-fee-will-be-55m-plus-add-ons.html

If it's the former fee, that's even lower than 50 goddamned million. :mad: Hopefully it's all flimflam.
The worlds most expensive defender is Luiz at 50m, John Stones was 47.5.....

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/13/manchester-city-kyle-walker-tottenham

Meanwhile the Graun are sticking with 53m in 50m + add-ons (which seems like a strangly specific amount in terms of add-ons, but whatever). So it could be anywhere from 45 + 5, to 50 + 3, to 50 + 5.

Also, apparently Sheffield United are owed about 5m in terms of a sell-on fee - any official news on this?

The worlds most expensive defender is Luiz at 50m, John Stones was 47.5.....

Ah, sorry - I thought it was still Stones.

When the buying side say "its not a world record!". Of one thing you can then be sure of its a world record signing.

Well, I hope we say it then. We don't usually mention fees or the amount received, but if City are talking rubbish, I don't see why we can't burst their bubble.

Well, I hope we say it then. We don't usually mention fees or the amount received, but if City are talking rubbish, I don't see why we can't burst their bubble.
Why should we assume they'd be talking rubbish? Just because we want it to be a record fee doesnt mean it is....

City fans are generally embarrassed that they have to pay a premium for everyone

They believe that their now a big club and should be treated as such by others clubs and players alike rather than a rich mans play thing which we all know they are

You can buy skills and ability but you cannot buy attitude.

We have seen it many times now that if you do not buy into Poch's philosophy you are gone. Granted Walker is better than the rest but remember Townsend's hissy fit with the coaches? Gone! Lennon and Ade's attitude? Gone!

Walker was told he was not fit enough to play two games a week. His reaction was throwing his dummy out of his pram. The moment the player thinks he knows more than the manager. Gone!

I believe we wanted him to go and then it was over to Levy to do what he does best and maximise the deal. There is a debate about us selling to a rival but on the flip side to this the fact we are says to me we don't care because of where we are right now. Take City's money away and they go back to the championship side with the odd season in the Prem. We are the 2nd best team in the league built on talent. We don't have the money City have and look where we are.

If Walker is a problem. Then he is now Pep's problem.

Looking at our team. Remember when we bought Trippier? Who would have thought he would end up as the first choice RB with an England cap. That says as much about the player, his attitude and our manager.

One could also argue that what we lose from Walker, mainly pace, we gain in Trippier. No doubt Trippier is the better ball player. In fact, if you look at the stars comparisons there is not much in it. When you also consider Trippier has played less games than Walker that says it is not as bigger loss as some might suggest.

Last season when we got tonked 5-1 away to 10 man Saudi Sportswashing Machine and lost out on second place Poch was angry, very angry and said "This will never happen again". In that game Walker was subbed after 71 mins to Chadli.

A season on and we finish our last game of the season winning away to Hull 7-1. Trippier played in that game and was not subbed.

Of course this is not just about the one player but it shows you how when Poch said it would never happen again it didn't. That's because players are buying into what we are doing and have the right attitude for it. Even at 7-1 in that game in added minutes we were still closing down Hull on the edge of their box.

Finally, Poch said you buy players to train. From that he picks the match day team. That's quite telling really and when you think about it right. No one should walk into a team. No matter who you are you need to earn it.

Walker believe he had the right to play but didn't have the desire to train for it.

Gone!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/13/manchester-city-kyle-walker-tottenham

Meanwhile the Graun are sticking with 53m in 50m + add-ons (which seems like a strangly specific amount in terms of add-ons, but whatever). So it could be anywhere from 45 + 5, to 50 + 3, to 50 + 5.

Also, apparently Sheffield United are owed about 5m in terms of a sell-on fee - any official news on this?

Ah, sorry - I thought it was still Stones.
Worth noting in this context they were originally The Manchester Guardian, so maybe a foot in both camps, ie more neutral.

We have seen it many times now that if you do not buy into Poch's philosophy you are gone. Granted Walker is better than the rest but remember Townsend's hissy fit with the coaches? Gone! Lennon and Ade's attitude? Gone!

Walker was told he was not fit enough to play two games a week. His reaction was throwing his dummy out of his pram. The moment the player thinks he knows more than the manager. Gone!

I believe we wanted him to go and then it was over to Levy to do what he does best and maximise the deal. There is a debate about us selling to a rival but on the flip side to this the fact we are says to me we don't care because of where we are right now. Take City's money away and they go back to the championship side with the odd season in the Prem. We are the 2nd best team in the league built on talent. We don't have the money City have and look where we are.

Looking at our team. Remember when we bought Trippier? Who would have thought he would end up as the first choice RB with an England cap. That says as much about the player, his attitude and our manager.

One could also argue that what we lose from Walker, mainly pace, we gain in Trippier. No doubt Trippier is the better ball player. In fact, if you look at the stars comparisons there is not much in it. When you also consider Trippier has played less games than Walker that says it is not as bigger loss as some might suggest.

Last season when we got tonked 5-1 away to 10 man Saudi Sportswashing Machine and lost out on second place Poch was angry, very angry and said "This will never happen again". In that game Walker was subbed after 71 mins to Chadli.

A season on and we finish our last game of the season winning away to Hull 7-1. Trippier played in that game and was not subbed.

Of course this is not just about the one player but it shows you how when Poch said it would never happen again it didn't. That's because players are buying into what we are doing and have the right attitude for it. Even at 7-1 in that game in added minutes we were still closing down Hull on the edge of their box.

Finally, Poch said you buy players to train. From that he picks the match day team. That's quite telling really and when you think about it right. No one should walk into a team. No matter who you are you need to earn it.

Walker believe he had the right to play but didn't have the desire to train for it.

Gone!

I think this is a good summary.

And to revisit my original point if a player and agent set up that they want to go and want to go to Emirates Marketing Project you have to sometimes bite the bullet and let it happen whilst protecting your own project. I think that has happened here, we get 50m for a right back with a decent cover and time to bring in another RB prospect and most importantly we keep the ship sailing forward with people that buy the project.

He's got a chronic condition that needs to be managed. Like Dembele. Like Ledley. It wasn't about his application.

Why should we assume they'd be talking rubbish? Just because we want it to be a record fee doesnt mean it is....

If it isn't, we've fudged up. We set a base price of 50m, as per most journos covering the story. That's 50m as the base fee, without addons (see Hytner's Graun articles on 'Levy's balancing act' and the new one on Walker). If that's true, it's a world-record for a defender, even including the price paid for David Luiz.

If it's 45 + 5m in add-ons, we have f*cked up, because we haven't gotten to the 50m base fee we wanted despite City being desperate after Alves' rejection.

I highly, *highly* doubt Levy f*cks up anything to do with getting maximum value from sales - even in this case where we might have gotten more had we waited, I think he would at least have wanted the basic fee set in stone.

So yes, I think the journos (and City, by extension) are talking rubbish. So we should call them out on it - when mentioning Walker's departure on the OS, just say that 'he moves to City for a world-record transfer fee for a defender, and we wish him all the best in his future career.' Simple as.

Gone!
Yes, very much how it seems to me too. Poch is commendably Fergusonian in the way he demands 100% commitment. Whenever anyone strays from the line they are like you say, Gone!

Love it!

Which is why I said "attitude".

Dembele and Ledley managed theirs just fine.

I'm pretty sure Walker clocks up more minutes than Dembele. He does 90 minutes a week, compared to Dembele's 75.

I think we'll see at City what happens when it isn't managed properly.

Back