• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kyle Walker

^very true, but if Harry had scored that goal we would all be saying it was great play from Harry to lose his marker.
One mans great play is another mans mistake.

Bingo, fans love to blame our players for making mistakes when we concede but never see its more to do with good play by the opposing team.

We did a survey on all goals conceded in a season once and its true to say that most of them are because of mistakes, bad marking as well as good play.

Azpilicueta (when he plays on the right)
Bellerin
Darmain (new RB at ManU)

Are better right backs IMO.

Seriously dude? Darmain since the PSV game he has been poor since the PSV game. He was rubbish against Arsenal and against Southampton he was so poor he was subbed at half time.

As for Azpilicueta, how many times can you honestly say you have seen him play on the right to make a valid comparison?

As for Bellerin, well like Walker he fast but I have seen nothing to suggest he is a better player.

Walker was up against one of the fastest wingers in the country who could give anyone problems.

Funny how Walker get's stick for the first goal but in comparison Kane gets away with it for their second. I guess haters gonna hate

I just don't see it with Walker. I think he's peaked in terms of potential.

The only things he excels at are pace and one on one defending - which are valuable - yet there is little to suggest he could be part of a cohesive defensive unit. I think he lacks the intelligence and discipline - which aren't going to change.

Going forward, he offers an outlet, but in my opinion, an impotent one. His decision making has improved, but it's way, way off the mark to be considered a 'top four' full back.

If being an outlet is a significant attribute to your game, you better offer enough going forward to compensate for the space you'll inevitably leave.

Look at that goal again, its a very very good goal. I'd even say the Montero drag back is well rehearsed - they have four players attacking, two of whom get into good positions in the box, one of whom runs from deep to the near post (so the CB has to keep an eye on him), because of this Jan has to look at the middle but Gomis takes up a great position meaning Jan also has to watch him ( meaning he is looking after two areas, but neither fully ), Davies spots this and comes round to cover (correct decision) which means Ayew can attack either of the positions Jan is half covering - a good ball in and attack of the ball means Jan is always second favourite.

Its a really smart goal and happens very quickly. But its the run from deep to the near post that makes the space.
Rewatching the MotD2 highlights on iPlayer (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06h8b8n/match-of-the-day-2-201516-04102015) and Dier gets caught pressing high up the pitch after Rangel and Fernandez do a quick 1-2 which by-passes Chadli plus Eriksen.

So when Ayew receives the ball on the halfway line he's in plenty of space with Alli and Dier both 5 yards away. Alli then sprints back to track Siggy' run into the box leaving Ayew to jog in unmarked, Dier only arrived back in the area as the ball is flying into the net.

Alderweireld initially looks like he would go and help Walker cut out the cross but then he notices Ki running down that flank and ends up in no man's land.

Perhaps Dier could've busted a gut and prevented Ayew from having a free header but, as you say, it's a classy attack by Swansea; just the sort of thing I hope to see plenty of from us once Son returns from injury to replace the ponderous Chadli.

Last edited:
I just don't see it with Walker. I think he's peaked in terms of potential.

The only things he excels at are pace and one on one defending - which are valuable - yet there is little to suggest he could be part of a cohesive defensive unit. I think he lacks the intelligence and discipline - which aren't going to change.

Going forward, he offers an outlet, but in my opinion, an impotent one. His decision making has improved, but it's way, way off the mark to be considered a 'top four' full back.

If being an outlet is a significant attribute to your game, you better offer enough going forward to compensate for the space you'll inevitably leave.

Apart from him currently being part of a cohesive defensive unit

Walker is adequate and that's about it. When he abandoned the gung ho forward raids he tended to improve in terms of positioning. He was never great going forward, as he can't cross reliably. Much is made of this because of the fluke goal he scored against Arse, but really, he doesn't pose much of a threat.

He scored a peach in that Muamba miracle game. Walker defiantly can improve. I think there is more to come from him. However, this season we're trying to build from a solid defence. So its defend first for him. But I think we'll see him come on again. At 25 his time is now. He should mature into a real player in the next couple of years.

I like Walker. It's not just his pace, he's a good natural defender (tackling, timing etc). His positioning has been a bit suspect, but it's improving.

He's 25, so it's right to now expect him step up from being raw to being solid, and I think he's getting there. Last season was a write-off because of that injury, but he's back to where he was and growing in our newly confident (Alder's influence?) back 5.

Well, that is still little compared to years of being part of quite terrible defences.

The same could be said of half of our defence and Walker has the excuse of two seasons disrupted by injury.

If you are going to say that he can never be part of a cohesive defence, it does rather undermine your argument when he is part of one right now.

I thought he did bloody well against Montero. There were times when the lad slipped around him when Walker got too tight, but for the most part Walker came out on top in the 1v1's.

The same could be said of half of our defence and Walker has the excuse of two seasons disrupted by injury.

If you are going to say that he can never be part of a cohesive defence, it does rather undermine your argument when he is part of one right now.

That's rather misleading - I said there's "little to suggest" - rather than "never".

I would maintain that 8 games is indeed little evidence - and particularly given that Spurs have been synonymous with poor defending for years.

If your reasoning is that he's either not been part of those weak defences because of injuries, or has failed to gain consistency because of injuries (i.e. hasn't been very good), then that just supports there view there is little evidence to suggest he can be part of a cohesive defence.

I thought he did bloody well against Montero. There were times when the lad slipped around him when Walker got too tight, but for the most part Walker came out on top in the 1v1's.

I agree, I was talking to a few Swansea fans in the bar after the game and they said that Walker had done better then any other FB he has played against this season.

That's rather misleading - I said there's "little to suggest" - rather than "never".

I would maintain that 8 games is indeed little evidence - and particularly given that Spurs have been synonymous with poor defending for years.

If your reasoning is that he's either not been part of those weak defences because of injuries, or has failed to gain consistency because of injuries (i.e. hasn't been very good), then that just supports there view there is little evidence to suggest he can be part of a cohesive defence.

I'm all for withholding judgement on a player and assessing them over a longer period.

Given how many changes there have been in our defence over the last few years and the injuries that Walker has had. I will be interested to see how he does in a settled defence and a run in the team. In the meantime, I am happy to be cheered by the good job that our defence is doing currently and his part in that.

Back