• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kyle Walker

I didn't see the game yesterday so I don't know what role he played in the first goal but I don't and never have rated him as footballer. Nothing personal in that just imo that he is prone to really mindless, braindead moments that can and prove costly. Using his pace to get out of trouble is normally because his poor understanding of the game has stitched himself up or he has been a bit lazy about his reading of situations. This is all personal feel, I don't have any axe to grind at all but wouldn't be disappointed if he was sold at the typical overinflationary price and the money reinvested in a RB maybe a little more solid and durable.
Basically Montero went towards the byeline and shaped to cross, Walker stretched to block the cross but Montero instead pulled it back on to his right foot and chipped a ball into the penalty area. Ayew then somehow got a free header in the centre of the goal from about 9 yards out. Looked to me as though both our centre halves were still anticipating the low ball across from where Montero had shaped to take it to the byeline and Davies was just standing still outside of the back post having failed to track the run of Ayew (who was Davies' player).

It's worth mentioning here that it might be slightly more complicated than that and perhaps Swansea had also pushed their right back forward and Chadli had failed to track him so Davies had to take that position up to guard the ball to the back post. My thoughts are all those taken from one single view at the game and I haven't yet seen a replay so can't tell you what was going on beyond Davies.

If we sell Walker then I would be confident that the player replacing him wouldn't be as good, especially as our two fullbacks have probably the hardest role in our team as they have to defend well but are also responsible for providing just about all of our width.

First off, as someone else pointed out, Montero has done quite a few players so anyone criticising based on that is being unfair.

I think Trippier we have someone who could grow but I would be confident we could find a RB that would give us similar qualities to Walker, maybe not as quick but perhaps better in terms of defensive ability. I find his giving away of free kicks in silly positions frustrating plus moments like last week against City and say that mad backpass v Liverpool in 2013 seem to happen too frequently across a season imo for him to be considered a class act. Not irreplaceable for me but Stop! Hammer time.

First off, as someone else pointed out, Montero has done quite a few players so anyone criticising based on that is being unfair.

I think Trippier we have someone who could grow but I would be confident we could find a RB that would give us similar qualities to Walker, maybe not as quick but perhaps better in terms of defensive ability. I find his giving away of free kicks in silly positions frustrating plus moments like last week against City and say that mad backpass v Liverpool in 2013 seem to happen too frequently across a season imo for him to be considered a class act. Not irreplaceable for me but Stop! Hammer time.
What mad moments have there been since the backpass v Liverpool in 2013?

All players concede the odd stupid free kick. Dier's one in injury time yesterday for example resulted in the Lloris wonder save that won us a point.

Basically Montero went towards the byeline and shaped to cross, Walker stretched to block the cross but Montero instead pulled it back on to his right foot and chipped a ball into the penalty area. Ayew then somehow got a free header in the centre of the goal from about 9 yards out. Looked to me as though both our centre halves were still anticipating the low ball across from where Montero had shaped to take it to the byeline and Davies was just standing still outside of the back post having failed to track the run of Ayew (who was Davies' player). It's worth mentioning here that it might be slightly more complicated than that and perhaps Swansea had also pushed their right back forward and Chadli had failed to track him so Davies had to take that position up to guard the ball to the back post. My thoughts are all those taken from one single view at the game and I haven't yet seen a replay so can't tell you what was going on beyond Davies.
If we sell Walker then I would be confident that the player replacing him wouldn't be as good, especially as our two fullbacks have probably the hardest role in our team as they have to defend well but are also responsible for providing just about all of our width.

This.

Walker has his faults but he still one of the top right backs in the league.

Naughton was always a decent right back. The problem was that he was forced to play a number of games at left back and that led to many Spurs fans forming an opinion of him that was hard for him to change.

That was unfortunate. Naughton was improving rapidly as well at Spurs. I still keep an eye on him for Swansea and he aint half bad.

Of course there would be.... That's why we're all chatting on an internet forum while Walker is earning £50,000 a week as first choice right back for Spurs with numerous caps for his country.

Being facetious. Shows there is hope for some of us then, doesn't' it? Caps for England? Says plenty about how far the national side has fallen.

Christ we love slagging off our own players don't we, even when there is no real reason.

There has always got to be at least one player who gets slagged off ( with the usual bollcks like brain fart etc) for some fans. Talking to some of the Swansea fans yesterday they said that Walker played Montero ( spl?) as well as any FB has done this year and thought he did well.

There has always got to be a spacegoat for some fans to bitch about and Walker is one who they choose.

Basically Montero went towards the byeline and shaped to cross, Walker stretched to block the cross but Montero instead pulled it back on to his right foot and chipped a ball into the penalty area. Ayew then somehow got a free header in the centre of the goal from about 9 yards out. Looked to me as though both our centre halves were still anticipating the low ball across from where Montero had shaped to take it to the byeline and Davies was just standing still outside of the back post having failed to track the run of Ayew (who was Davies' player).

It's worth mentioning here that it might be slightly more complicated than that and perhaps Swansea had also pushed their right back forward and Chadli had failed to track him so Davies had to take that position up to guard the ball to the back post. My thoughts are all those taken from one single view at the game and I haven't yet seen a replay so can't tell you what was going on beyond Davies.

Judging by the wide angle shown on MotD2, it was Dier who started tracking Ayew from the halfway line but looks like he tried to pass him over to Davies who then noticed Gomis had dropped off to the far post and Vertonghen just couldn't react to the lofted cross in time. Perhaps we could've defended it slightly better but it was a nicely executed attack by Swansea tbf.

Judging by the wide angle shown on MotD2, it was Dier who started tracking Ayew from the halfway line but looks like he tried to pass him over to Davies who then noticed Gomis had dropped off to the far post and Vertonghen just couldn't react to the lofted cross in time. Perhaps we could've defended it slightly better but it was a nicely executed attack by Swansea tbf.

Thanks for that.... Like I said, I didn't have the benefit of a replay and couldn't remember what (if anything) was behind Davies. However it seems that the view I took away from the game that we had two centre halves in the middle of our goal area with neither picking up anyone was correct. Again, my thoughts here are that it was because both of them expected Montero to hit it across the 6 yard area - as Walker was also expecting.

That was unfortunate. Naughton was improving rapidly as well at Spurs. I still keep an eye on him for Swansea and he aint half bad.

Naughton was terrible - painfully average at everything. Even by Levy's standards, getting £5m for him was an incredible deal.

I would tend to agree. It seems we think all the goals we concede are due to a defensive mistake. Sure so-and-so should have picked up this player or the other one, but some goals just come from well executed attacks. It's impossible to close down everyone all the time.

^any time you concede a goal where the attacker was unmarked in your own penalty area for a free header then I put that down as a defensive mistake

^very true, but if Harry had scored that goal we would all be saying it was great play from Harry to lose his marker.
One mans great play is another mans mistake.

Look at that goal again, its a very very good goal. I'd even say the Montero drag back is well rehearsed - they have four players attacking, two of whom get into good positions in the box, one of whom runs from deep to the near post (so the CB has to keep an eye on him), because of this Jan has to look at the middle but Gomis takes up a great position meaning Jan also has to watch him ( meaning he is looking after two areas, but neither fully ), Davies spots this and comes round to cover (correct decision) which means Ayew can attack either of the positions Jan is half covering - a good ball in and attack of the ball means Jan is always second favourite.

Its a really smart goal and happens very quickly. But its the run from deep to the near post that makes the space.

^very true, but if Harry had scored that goal we would all be saying it was great play from Harry to lose his marker.
One mans great play is another mans mistake.

Ayew seems to make a very late run into the box. For me, the mistake was between presumably Dier in the DM role tracking those runs and the CB he is supposedly passing on to (Verts?). It's harsh to think that Vertonghen should've got tighter to Ayew given he was on the 6 yard line as Ayew ran into box. Whoever had Ayew tracked prior to the ball going out wide should've continued with him and cleared the danger. I presume that was Dier though that video clip doesn't show anyone near him throughout the whole move.

Back