• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Keep St George in my heart

An English day? Not a chance. Would "upset" too many of the foreigners that now call this country home. I say fudge em!!!!!

I don't know who you're speaking for? I'm a naturalised Brit and Certainly not upset by St Georges day. In fact if It wasn't a monday I would be having a few beers. Don't listen to what they daily mail tells you, not all immigrants are anti-English a lot of us intergrate quite well into the community. Then again maybe I think i've intergrated well because i'm Christian; I can't really speak for muslim immigrants. And Yes NW5pur we should have an extra armed forces day, so many lives and families are changed because of loved ones injured or lost out in the middle east.

An English day? Not a chance. Would "upset" too many of the foreigners that now call this country home. I say fudge em!!!!!

Really? Pretty much every immigrant I've ever met is perfectly happy for everyone else to celebrate whatever they want.

Really? Pretty much every immigrant I've ever met is perfectly happy for everyone else to celebrate whatever they want.

it's a vicious cycle for which the macarons only have themselves to blame:

macarons with racist far right agenda celebrate day
normal people with more than one brain cell want nothing to do with day as they don't want to associate themselves with macarons
macarons complain that no one celebrates day and predictably blame immigrants
normal people offended by racist unfounded accusation and further disassociate themselves from day
cycle repeats

normal people with more than one brain cell want nothing to do with day as they don't want to associate themselves with macarons
normal people offended by racist unfounded accusation and further disassociate themselves from day
cycle repeats

Dunno why people get so bothered about it really. They just get arsey because people go out for St Patricks Day but not St Georges day. Thats got nothing to do with people celebrating St Patricks day though, just an awesome promotional campaign by guinness, no one actually gives a toss about St Patrick.

If we had a national beer in the same league as Guinness, I suspect that St Georges day would be on the map. I really couldn't give two monkeys about St George though

cycle repeats

I have no far right agenda yet i have no problem whatsoever celebrating the day just coz those far right numpties try to use it as part of their argument doesnt put me off... Why should it?

F*ck me, we really have tea bagged this planet

English Inventions - Sports

which otherwise translates to;

The Victorians were great innovators, especially when it cam to stealing sport from other countries and because of our imperial standing at the time declared "theses are now the official rules".

Since WWII however the list is rather sparse..................

History - good (although greatly tinged with theft, rape, genocide etc)
Present - MOR

which otherwise translates to;

The Victorians were great innovators, especially when it cam to stealing sport from other countries and because of our imperial standing at the time declared "theses are now the official rules".

Since WWII however the list is rather sparse..................

History - good (although greatly tinged with theft, rape, genocide etc)
Present - MOR

You forgot the slave trade. My guilty concience over these issues wont let me sleep at night.
England & the English - the root of all evil :lol:

I have no far right agenda yet i have no problem whatsoever celebrating the day just coz those far right numpties try to use it as part of their argument doesnt put me off... Why should it?

I’m not saying only the far right celebrate st. georges day or that there’s anything wrong with ‎celebrating, i’m saying much of the population may be apathetic towards st georges day because of ‎the far right. ‎

Let me give you a personal example, i was walking through covent garden a couple of years ago on st. ‎georges day, (bear in mind covent garden is a big tourism hot spot) and there were a few pubs ‎overflowing with ugly, fat, skinhead blokes with brick tattoos, draped in st. georges cross’s chanting ‎England songs at passers by in quite an intimidating fashion. i’m not saying there’s anything wrong ‎with that, it is a free country, however far from feeling pride in my national day i actually felt a bit ‎ashamed to be English, the tourists looked perplexed and a bit scared.‎

This is quite an interesting read on national pride in the UK - http://www.britishfuture.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/BritishFutureSceptredIsle.pdf

Interesting that 24% of English people associate our flag with racism compared to 10% and 7% in Wales ‎and Scotland.‎

Don’t get me wrong though, i’m proud to be English, i don’t mind having a national english day and ‎generally speaking i’m a supporter of fun! so give me a day off in the summer, call it something ‎relevant and make it inclusive and i’ll get involved. st georges day in it’s present guise, couldn’t really ‎give two bricks!‎

Last edited:
I’m not saying only the far right celebrate st. georges day or that there’s anything wrong with ‎celebrating, i’m saying much of the population may be apathetic towards st georges day because of ‎the far right. ‎

Let me give you a personal example, i was walking through covent garden a couple of years ago on st. ‎georges day, (bear in mind covent garden is a big tourism hot spot) and there were a few pubs ‎overflowing with ugly, fat, skinhead blokes with brick tattoos, draped in st. georges cross’s chanting ‎England songs at passers by in quite an intimidating fashion. i’m not saying there’s anything wrong ‎with that, it is a free country, however far from feeling pride in my national day i actually felt a bit ‎ashamed to be English, the tourists looked perplexed and a bit scared.‎

This is quite an interesting read on national pride in the UK - http://www.britishfuture.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/BritishFutureSceptredIsle.pdf

Interesting that 24% of English people associate our flag with racism compared to 10% and 7% in Wales ‎and Scotland.‎

Don’t get me wrong though, i’m proud to be English, i don’t mind having a national english day and ‎generally speaking i’m a supporter of fun! so give me a day off in the summer, call it something ‎relevant and make it inclusive and i’ll get involved. st georges day in it’s present guise, couldn’t really ‎give two bricks!‎

I kind of agree they have taken the idea from St Patricks day and think that is all it means to be English.

Think the government could do things like tell English Heritage and other historcal attractions and gardens that they could keep all the money they make on St Georges Day without having to pay tax, then you could get families going out to castles and other type attractions and learning about the history of England, maybe in the schools they could do lessons on traditional english meals(including curry:) ) and in the eveningss the BBC instead of hating the country could put on shakespeare plays followed by some more modern english shows.

England should not be about skin heads and nutters we have an opportunity to try and take it back for everyone to enjoy whether they were born here on not and if done properly could attract tourism beatrix potter, wordsworth, coleridge, jane austin and charles dingdongins are as big tourist pulls as the Royal family tourism is an area of the economy that is often neglected in my opinon.

Get Theatres to put on shows by english writers give councils grants to put on battle of the bands in local parks featuring songs by english song writers, make them family days include the whole community have sporting events. Lots we can do to promote england and make everyone feel something for the country.

All that said i just do not feel it is in our nature to really celebrate things, would be good to bring it back from the far right though, fudgers set any slighty right minded political person back 50 years whenever they open their mouths.

Back