• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Just back from Goodison

paxtonwolf

John White
Well not exactly the truth, been back about an hour but was not in the right mood to post anything at that point. Calmed down now, but not much.

Once again I find myself asking, How the f#ck have we lost that game?? Absolutely gutted.

Superb atmosphere from the away fans, the three guys next to me were immense, proper chant starters, didnt let the singing die down. Absolute stars all of them. The poor bloke next to me was inconsolable after the 2nd goal went in

What did you think of our performance from watching it up close?

From watching online I thought things were pretty equal in the first half, we had more control over the game 2nd half and got done by losing control of things in the final 5?

What did you think of our performance from watching it up close?

From watching online I thought things were pretty equal in the first half, we had more control over the game 2nd half and got done by losing control of things in the final 5?

Def level 1st half, they had the stats up on their scoreboard, possession was 50/50. Not sure if they should have had a penalty just before the break, happened too quick to be sure.
I wouldnt have argued had it finished 1-1, I felt that might have been fair. A victory for them I think was unjust. More than matched them in the 2nd half, very unlucky to hit the bar at 1-0, if that goes in it would have been game over.

Just gutting to lose in that fashion. Heard a few callers on the radio saying taking Lennon off was a mistake, but I felt we got the upper hand when Huddlestone came on, if anything taking Dembele off could have been the killer decision

I think Hudd changed the game for us - we had someone who spread the passes. Dembele was injured but he doesnt strike me as a passer but a ball carrier which of course relieves the pressure on us but he didnt seem to play that well today.

I got the impression from the game that we just sat back in our third of the pitch.

I think Hudd changed the game for us - we had someone who spread the passes. Dembele was injured but he doesnt strike me as a passer but a ball carrier which of course relieves the pressure on us but he didnt seem to play that well today.

I got the impression from the game that we just sat back in our third of the pitch.

Didnt realise Demeble had picked up an injury. I suppose all the games in the last few weeks finally caught up with us in those final few minutes, so so close to a massive victory.
I'm hoping the guys can pick themselves up after those killer blows. 2 home games coming up, and only 6pts will help to eradicate that defeat

Didnt realise Demeble had picked up an injury. I suppose all the games in the last few weeks finally caught up with us in those final few minutes, so so close to a massive victory.
I'm hoping the guys can pick themselves up after those killer blows. 2 home games coming up, and only 6pts will help to eradicate that defeat

Looking at our upcoming fixtures, we can make a real impact in the table if we pick up some results.

Just got back myself and finished scrapping the dog brick off my shoes.

We were ok until he made substitutions to try and see the game out. Same as Norwich in the cup, it doesn't work. Stop it

Def level 1st half, they had the stats up on their scoreboard, possession was 50/50. Not sure if they should have had a penalty just before the break, happened too quick to be sure.
I wouldnt have argued had it finished 1-1, I felt that might have been fair. A victory for them I think was unjust. More than matched them in the 2nd half, very unlucky to hit the bar at 1-0, if that goes in it would have been game over.

Just gutting to lose in that fashion. Heard a few callers on the radio saying taking Lennon off was a mistake, but I felt we got the upper hand when Huddlestone came on, if anything taking Dembele off could have been the killer decision

People will always complain about anything they see as a negative substitution.
We were much more solid with Dembele, Sandro and Hudd on the pitch even though Hudd's passing today wasnt the best.

We were ok until he made substitutions to try and see the game out. Same as Norwich in the cup, it doesn't work. Stop it

Yeah.. leave the tired players who can't run around on the pitch.

He can't win either way, if he doesn't do the subs he'd have people complaining that he doesn't try to change the game.

I know which way you walked back to the car then!!

Just got back myself

As far as away atmosphere's go i didn't think it was all that to be honest

We never deserved to win the game, created very little all day and 1-0 flattered us

That said we certainly didn't deserve to lose it like that at the death. 1-1 would have been about right but was a pretty dull game all round

Still enjoyed the away day. Got a lot of respect for Everton. Proper football club and proper ground

Yeah.. leave the tired players who can't run around on the pitch.

He can't win either way, if he doesn't do the subs he'd have people complaining that he doesn't try to change the game.

Didn't see the game today, got called in to work, listened to the final 15 on the way home, but isn't the recurring theme this season that the players are tired and blowing it in the final few minutes so perhaps the issue isn't the substitution of tired players but the fact they're all tired but our opposition don't seem to be too tired to take advantage of that.

PS. I don't know if anyone knows Hockliffe on the A5 in Bedfordshire, it's a tiny, insignificant place in the scheme of things, we were 1-0 up when I stopped at the lights in the village, buy the time I'd cleared the lights and was heading out of the village we 2-1 down, that's how quick a game can change.

Last edited:
Didn't see the game today, got called in to work but isn't the recurring theme this season that the players are tired and blowing it in the final few minutes so perhaps the issue isn't the substitution of tired players but the fact they're all tired but our opposition don't seem to be too tired to take advantage of that.

For me it is not about fitness it is the absolute panic that seems to ensue when we are trying to hang onto a lead. Aimless punts up the field when a simple 5-10 pass would do is hard to explain. I like AVB and will certainly not judge him after such a short time in charge but there is no denying that we are beginning to see a repeating pattern. We are not looking at a statistical anomaly when we see the same thing happens over and over.

If I was an opposition coach it would be immediately obvious to me what tactic to use. Just press our back four and we'll give it away. That's it. After that it is law of averages that the opposition will score given enough chances. I'm not sure but I think the fault may be our midfield not showing enough for the defenders. I'm sure it is not that simple but the much maligned deep dropping VDV gave us an out ball if our midfielders and full backs were covered.

In saying all that I still feel the best is still to come from us. We haven't really hit top gear yet and have been blighted by injuries. It's no embarrassment to lose at Everton it's just the sickening way it happened (again).

If anyone had the unfortunately pleasure of being at the back of the upper tier I know a good chiropractor. It's a f#%^ing awful stadium with archaic facilities and an awful view. I have a photo of my so called view and it was shocking.

Technically if everyone sat I could see 3 of the 4 corners. For £38 quid I at least expect to be able to see the players on the opposite side of the pitch but unfortunately I had several rows of steel girders supporting the roof in my eye line.

Regarding the game, I've already started a thread regarding Gallas but we were generally quite lethargic and not at the races off lots of the games. I think there quite a poor side and play the long ball over he full backs and pile into the box almost Rugby style in the hope to get in the end of it. With Fellaini having a lazy Sunday only matched by Ade I thought they looked very average. Really like Miralles though who is their best player IMO

If anyone had the unfortunately pleasure of being at the back of the upper tier I know a good chiropractor. It's a f#%^ing awful stadium with archaic facilities and an awful view. I have a photo of my so called view and it was shocking.

Technically if everyone sat I could see 3 of the 4 corners. For £38 quid I at least expect to be able to see the players on the opposite side of the pitch but unfortunately I had several rows of steel girders supporting the roof in my eye line.

Regarding the game, I've already started a thread regarding Gallas but we were generally quite lethargic and not at the races off lots of the games. I think there quite a poor side and play the long ball over he full backs and pile into the box almost Rugby style in the hope to get in the end of it. With Fellaini having a lazy Sunday only matched by Ade I thought they looked very average. Really like Miralles though who is their best player IMO

But it's Everton at Goodison!

haven't been there for a decade...used to go up there every season back in the day...

For me it is not about fitness it is the absolute panic that seems to ensue when we are trying to hang onto a lead. Aimless punts up the field when a simple 5-10 pass would do is hard to explain. I like AVB and will certainly not judge him after such a short time in charge but there is no denying that we are beginning to see a repeating pattern. We are not looking at a statistical anomaly when we see the same thing happens over and over.

If I was an opposition coach it would be immediately obvious to me what tactic to use. Just press our back four and we'll give it away. That's it. After that it is law of averages that the opposition will score given enough chances. I'm not sure but I think the fault may be our midfield not showing enough for the defenders. I'm sure it is not that simple but the much maligned deep dropping VDV gave us an out ball if our midfielders and full backs were covered.

In saying all that I still feel the best is still to come from us. We haven't really hit top gear yet and have been blighted by injuries. It's no embarrassment to lose at Everton it's just the sickening way it happened (again).

Fair point, I was actually looking at the bench and longing to see a Jose Dominguez on the bench. Such a player would be perfect to dribble out the time remaining. Though I could see the logics behind AVB's subs, it doesn't mean they are good, as we don't really have the players to execute them properly.

If there's anything, AVB needs to tone down his expectation from our reserves. The fall in class from our first XI is material and visible.

Spot on.

The game was live on TV yesterday, they flashed up a stat saying Spurs would be top of the league if the games finished on 80 minutes.

If you look at the matches in which we have dropped points, how many of these have involved late goals to cost us... it is largely due to nervous defending and a narrow lead. Speeding the game up instead of killing time and breaking up the momentum. They could easily pass the ball around between themselves, backwards and sideways instead of hoofing upfield and watching it come back.

I was sure Jelavic was offside yesterday, he must have been to be that far ahead... but no, the cross was perfect and he was in between two defenders. Going into the last 5 minutes Spurs should stop panicking. The subs were right because Dembele was exhausted/injured and Hudd offered a presence in the middle.. even Iago felt right, given the limited options available. Sigurdsson's shot is the key point, 2-0 and it's over.. 1-0 gives them a chance to pressure a nervy defence with a history of conceding.

Still, one setback after a good run. Two home games coming up!

Back