• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Juan Mata

5 of the very best #10 players feature in this highlights reel, I wouldn't describe Maradona or Ronaldinho as playing much like Bergkamp...

[video=youtube;L_aMxQG8Nw0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_aMxQG8Nw0[/video]

like bergkamp as in super creative. i personally dont think your number ten has to be super creative...but i guess in our team right now he would be

yes. a player that plays in between both the forward and midfield but doesnt have the responsibility of being the creative lynch pin

So players like Gerrard and Lampard when they've played that position? Or Hamsik perhaps? Or perhaps Bale when he played there for us is an even better example?

Obviously top class players in those positions will be creative to an extent as they will be fairly good at most things, but players like those I mentioned solve that role quite differently from the classic number 10 whilst still being very effective.

A question, which the bloody hell aren't we in for Juan Mata? I thought it was because Chelsea wouldn't sell to us but if they are willing to sell to Utd then I was wrong.
He ticks all the boxes. A creative, attacking midfielder, linking up with the striker(s). He is better than Eriksen by far and £35m is a steal for him.

Why compare him to someone completely different?

If you think we seriously have any sort of chance in signing Juan Mata then you are even more deluded than I give credit for.

i can think of 35 000 002 reasons why

(the fee and Chelsea not wanting to sell and Juan Mata not wanting to join)

I know these swap deals never happen but what about Lamela for Mata? I think it would work for both clubs, they don't care about being patient with young talent/loaning out etc.. where we get a player (little older mind) they no longer prefer who is already proven in this league to step right into our team

we always have to break even, in what sense - purely on player trading?

Well based on the recent past, it certainly seems that way, yes. If you include the Defoe sale then we've roughly spent £310m and sold £320m in the past five and a half seasons.

I know these swap deals never happen but what about Lamela for Mata? I think it would work for both clubs, they don't care about being patient with young talent/loaning out etc.. where we get a player (little older mind) they no longer prefer who is already proven in this league to step right into our team

Lol I can just see Jose going for that.

Maybe thinking too deep into it, but selling Mata to United could actually help United. They have now played them twice so he wont come back to bite them, but United do play their rivals and with Mata in their side would improve their chances of taking points off them, helping Chelsea's title bid

Well based on the recent past, it certainly seems that way, yes. If you include the Defoe sale then we've roughly spent £310m and sold £320m in the past five and a half seasons.

true, but if we look back further under Enics tenure then you can see that they are willing to out spend player sales at times (breaking even is only a recent phenomenon) - id imagine it's more a case of breaking even in total terms financially than purely just on player trading. when the club is making enough money to spend more on transfers we generally do as i don't recall seeing financial reports stating we're stockpiling stacks of money, everything coming in usually goes back out.

Im not sure when the new tv money starts to come in but i wouldn't be surprised to see our spending go up for a few years around this time (until the point where player wages go up, bringing our available money down)

true, but if we look back further under Enics tenure then you can see that they are willing to out spend player sales at times (breaking even is only a recent phenomenon) - id imagine it's more a case of breaking even in total terms financially than purely just on player trading. when the club is making enough money to spend more on transfers we generally do as i don't recall seeing financial reports stating we're stockpiling stacks of money, everything coming in usually goes back out.

Im not sure when the new tv money starts to come in but i wouldn't be surprised to see our spending go up for a few years around this time (until the point where player wages go up, bringing our available money down)

That was before we started saving for the stadium.

As Rossi has pointed out, over something like the last 11 windows we've had a negative net spend. It was absolutely no coincidence that our spending in the summer almost exactly equalled the Bale money.

The TV was a lump sum and we've already had it. It's all gone in the stadium fund account - £35m is 10% of it in one go; maybe even our deposit for loans.

By my reckoning we've probably got about £6m in the bank now towards the right-back fund, and any bigger expenditure this window will be dependent on us getting permanent deals for Livermore and/or BAE pushed through.

Last edited:
That was before we started saving for the stadium.

As Rossi has pointed out, over something like the last 11 windows we've had a negative net spend. It was absolutely no coincidence that our spending in the summer almost exactly equalled the Bale money.

The TV was a lump sum and we've already had it. It's all gone in the stadium fund account - £35m is 10% of it in one go; maybe even our deposit for loans.

By my reckoning we've probably got about £6m in the bank now towards the right-back fund, and any bigger expenditure this window will be dependent on us getting permanent deals for Livermore and/or BAE pushed through.

do you have any links to something which says how the TV money is paid? i seem to recall the new deal being double of the previous one - whether that comes in one lump or spread out i don't know but it will be several seasons long and one would assume it will be spread out in a similar fashion as the current one.

Maybe thinking too deep into it, but selling Mata to United could actually help United. They have now played them twice so he wont come back to bite them, but United do play their rivals and with Mata in their side would improve their chances of taking points off them, helping Chelsea's title bid

I don't think there will be any deal that doesn't involve Rooney going the other way. Otherwise there's no motivation for Chelsea to sell. PSG will pay almost as much for Mata in the summer.

do you have any links to something which says how the TV money is paid? i seem to recall the new deal being double of the previous one - whether that comes in one lump or spread out i don't know but it will be several seasons long and one would assume it will be spread out in a similar fashion as the current one.

GB is mistaken. No club has received any of the money from the new TV deal yet. It is paid at the end of the season and the amount that clubs get is based on where you finish in the league.

Hats off to Levy -- has his faults, but he has been so good for our club overall.

Guillem Balague ‏@GuillemBalague 1m
All agreed. Juan Mata will be a Manchester United player. 45 million euros. All will be announced very soon

Back