• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Josh Onomah

I thought he had a really good game yesterday. He seems very quick and had a good touch in tight areas. He was unlucky on a few occasions that the ball didn't bounce his way. I actually thought he was one of our brighter players.

The upside to yesterday is the 90 minutes he got in the bank. That could do him the world of good in the long-term.

I thought he had a really good game yesterday. He seems very quick and had a good touch in tight areas. He was unlucky on a few occasions that the ball didn't bounce his way. I actually thought he was one of our brighter players.

The upside to yesterday is the 90 minutes he got in the bank. That could do him the world of good in the long-term.
Agree. Game-by-game he's gradually finding his feet at this level. You can see he has the skills but still needs that bit more experience under his belt so he can grow into games and become more influential. Got a shot in on target second half but was losing balance under pressure as he shaped to strike so didn't get the power he wanted.

You sense that one of these days he's suddenly going to start wowing us with his skills and vision. and that that day is coming closer and closer with each appearance.

I think us fans have to realise that he is only 18 years old. There are very, very few players who can hold their own at PL level at that age. I think next year he will be at the level of a decent squad option and the year after he may well be a first choice starting player for us. I don't think he is quite ready for a team at our level yet, but he is by no means letting us down and the experience he is getting this year will do him good for subsequent seasons.

I think us fans have to realise that he is only 18 years old. There are very, very few players who can hold their own at PL level at that age. I think next year he will be at the level of a decent squad option and the year after he may well be a first choice starting player for us. I don't think he is quite ready for a team at our level yet, but he is by no means letting us down and the experience he is getting this year will do him good for subsequent seasons.

Agree fully, though how he's progressing over the next couple of seasons is difficult to predict. And in addition to being just 18 he's not been out on any loans so this is essentially his first first team football experiences. It's likely to take a bit longer for him to get settled than someone like Alli who had a lot of football under his belt when we signed him.

Delighted that Poch is finding playing time for him in cup competitions.

hmmmm...

....good but i wouldn't call him ready for a title chasing team.

Like most would have said about Kane a season ago....Like most would have said about Dier before last season.....Like most would have said about Carroll full stop yada yada yada

I thought he played quite well and showed maturity beyond his years. Didn't look like an 18-year old out there, but like a player who has experience playing in this squad. Maybe he didn't wow us, but I also can't think of one thing he did wrong.

He was better than most of the Crystal Palace players. He's on an upward curve and that's all you can ask for at this stage of his development.

I thought he looked a little off the pace for the first 20 minutes or so. I think he took that time to get up to speed with the physicallity and the speed at which the Palace players were getting to him, but after that he was solid enough.

Shooting does look like something he will have to work on, but as everyone else has said, at 18 he has plenty of time. Alli has skewed our expectations when it comes to young players, but at this rate I think Onomah will likely start to challenge for a first team berth in a couple of years time.

I hope he starts on Thursday. Onomah needs to feel like he belongs, and start scrapping. Although not as strong at just 18, he reminds me a little of Dembele, who I think @parklane1 was hesitant about as well early season.

I hope he starts on Thursday. Onomah needs to feel like he belongs, and start scrapping. Although not as strong at just 18, he reminds me a little of Dembele, who I think @parklane1 was hesitant about as well early season.

Different kettle of fish mate, if you go back you will see I never doubted Dembele ability what I said was he was not using it often enough and unless he did he was not going to be a regular. Thankfully ( so far ) Poch has managed to convince him to do so.

Onomah may turn out to be a great player but at 18 he ( imo) should be used off the bench and not as a starter.

@parklane1 fair play. I know you never questioned Dembele's ability, more that you never wanted him to play again with Dier. Water under the bridge and all that.

With Onomah he can stride away from players a little like Dembele, and is also a little shy maybe. If Poch can get into Onomah, get his confidence up he can become a first team player. Maybe a loan next season as I agree starting regularly in the league for us is a difficult ask.

@parklane1 fair play. I know you never questioned Dembele's ability, more that you never wanted him to play again with Dier. Water under the bridge and all that.

With Onomah he can stride away from players a little like Dembele, and is also a little shy maybe. If Poch can get into Onomah, get his confidence up he can become a first team player. Maybe a loan next season as I agree starting regularly in the league for us is a difficult ask.

My thoughts as well, there are several players who have already done enough to be picked in front of him to start a game. Using him as a sub is the way to go for me or as you say maybe a loan.

Top clubs are International class..do you think he will be that quality? because if he does not make that grade it leaves a hole in the Team!
We can't afford for that to happen if we want to proceed with our debatable present success....................

Like most would have said about Kane a season ago....Like most would have said about Dier before last season.....Like most would have said about Carroll full stop yada yada yada
situation is different now, and that changes everything. we are second with a real shot at the title.

Top clubs are International class..do you think he will be that quality? because if he does not make that grade it leaves a hole in the Team!
We can't afford for that to happen if we want to proceed with our debatable present success....................

Absolutely no reason at this point to doubt that he has the potential to be international class. If he will get there or not is of course a different question.

Our current success (which I don't see as debatable) is built on player development. Developing players like Kane, Dier, Alli, Lamela, Eriksen, Rose etc to a level that we often couldn't actually go out and buy. Had Alli just had this season at a different PL club I don't think we would have much chance of signing him. Had Kane just had this season at a different PL club there's no way in hell we would have been able to sign him. But because we've trusted these young players and developed them at Spurs we have them. Others like Mason and Bentaleb are playing important squad roles, roles that we otherwise would have had to pay a lot more to fill, both in transfer fees and wages I believe. And we quite possibly wouldn't have squad players as dedicated and motivated to playing for our head coach.

The one thing we cannot afford is to stop developing players. It's that player development that's giving us an edge. That includes giving players like Onomah a start aginst Palace, even though he's not currently international class. Because he has the talent to become international class or even better. And developing multiple players so that one not making the grade doesn't leave a hole in the team.

Back