• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Josh Onomah

#10.

He moved back to CM for the last couple of minutes when Bruce threw Chris Samba on up front ...

fudge me, that just sums up the calibre of the manager. Even Sunday league clubs haven't used that tactic since the 70s.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/08/0...-explains-his-decision-regarding-josh-onomah/

So, for Poch, its not about Onomah's position - its things other than that. He said twice that 'He needs to prove himself that he can play' and said that he can play anywhere apart from at the back or CF (and in goal!). So its just about showing something, anything, on the pitch...which we haven't seen at all from him so far. As I've always said about him, one easy thing would be a bit of work-rate - harrying a defender in possession, sprinting to close down his opponent, etc - but we dont get this from him. Lets see what happens at Villa....

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/08/0...-explains-his-decision-regarding-josh-onomah/

So, for Poch, its not about Onomah's position - its things other than that. He said twice that 'He needs to prove himself that he can play' and said that he can play anywhere apart from at the back or CF (and in goal!). So its just about showing something, anything, on the pitch...which we haven't seen at all from him so far. As I've always said about him, one easy thing would be a bit of work-rate - harrying a defender in possession, sprinting to close down his opponent, etc - but we dont get this from him. Lets see what happens at Villa....
Were you on the beach during the U20s World Cup or something? No one chased and harried as much as him, his workrate was nothing short of prodigious.

Okay so that was *only* the England Under 20s but even when playing for us I'd argue he always puts a shift in. True he's so far struggled to do anything to catch the eye in a Tottenham shirt but despite what Poch says that may partly be down to the fact he's mostly had to play anywhere but in his best position.

I'm crossing my fingers that he'll get his chance to impress for Villa in his preferred CM position, enough that in a year's time he'll be ready to come back and challenge for a regular spot in our first 11.

And as I think most people have countered to you each time, where are you getting this issue with work rate from? He would have been nowhere near our team the last couple of seasons if Poch or anyone at the club thought that was an issue.

And as I think most people have countered to you each time, where are you getting this issue with work rate from? He would have been nowhere near our team the last couple of seasons if Poch or anyone at the club thought that was an issue.

I'm not the only one who has made this observation

Evidently just based on his running style

No point having this discussion again, but not just based on his running style. Lets see how he develops this season. Poch's comments on the link I posted about though - doesnt seem to doubt his ability as says that he can play in 5 different positions; not entirely clear what 'proving to himself' means when you translate from Poch-gish to English though!

No point having this discussion again, but not just based on his running style. Lets see how he develops this season. Poch's comments on the link I posted about though - doesnt seem to doubt his ability as says that he can play in 5 different positions; not entirely clear what 'proving to himself' means when you translate from Poch-gish to English though!

As others have said, Poch values work rate and playing to the system above nearly anything else. If Onomah was the player you think he is, he would never have got anywhere near the first team.

As others have said, Poch values work rate and playing to the system above nearly anything else. If Onomah was the player you think he is, he would never have got anywhere near the first team.

Or potentially, he would have got near the first team due to a lot of natural talent, but not broken through and then been sent on loan due to not exhibiting the desired work rate.

I'm not saying that's my view, but I think it's an equally valid explanation. I.e. I don't think him having a few sub appearances under Poch proves he has a high work rate.

Or potentially, he would have got near the first team due to a lot of natural talent, but not broken through and then been sent on loan due to not exhibiting the desired work rate.

I'm not saying that's my view, but I think it's an equally valid explanation. I.e. I don't think him having a few sub appearances under Poch proves he has a high work rate.

He was regularly picked in the match day squad last season. I do not believe he would have been there if he was not working hard.

I'm not the only one who has made this observation

It's just not an equally valid expression. We would have had plenty of talented players that didn't get near because they either lacked work rate or didn't buy into the plan. E.g. Oduwa

fudge me, that just sums up the calibre of the manager. Even Sunday league clubs haven't used that tactic since the 70s.
It doesn't matter at what level you play goalkeepers and defenders don't like being put under pressure by a big physical presence, but the effectiveness of the tactic is all down to the delivery in the box and too many teams just lump aimless balls at "the big bloke" rather than an area he can attack.

I never really saw much of workrate from Onomah either, in a Spurs shirt (didn't see him for England). I see it in other players fairly obviously (Eriksen and Lamela are two examples) I never really noticed it in Onomah, I thought games tended to pass him by to be honest. In his senior appearances for us, he has looked like a nothing player imo.

However, he is young and he may come good. Hopefully he'll get plenty of 90 minute games at Villa and prove himself.

I never really saw much of workrate from Onomah either, in a Spurs shirt (didn't see him for England). I see it in other players fairly obviously (Eriksen and Lamela are two examples) I never really noticed it in Onomah, I thought games tended to pass him by to be honest. In his senior appearances for us, he has looked like a nothing player imo.

However, he is young and he may come good. Hopefully he'll get plenty of 90 minute games at Villa and prove himself.

He looks lost on a football pitch!

My thoughts on Onomh is that when he has played for our first team he hasn't looked out of place. That is a massive compliment to a player so young. Granted, he hasn't set the World alight and grabbed the game by the balls either, but that is only natural considering his age and a potential slight lack of confidence as he knows he is playing a few levels above what he is used to.

The loan move to Villa is perfect for him. Playing for a big club, in front of big crowds, with high expectation on the team. I see this as a final audition from Pochettino. Josh can go and show his talent and prove that he is worth a place in Pochettino's match day squad next season (or perhaps better still help villa get promoted and then stay another year on loan playing regular PL football for them)

As an aside here, I echo the comment above about work rate. A player that didn't meet Poch's demands here would not get in the match day squad. Onomah was trusted last year on many occasions when we were proftecting a one goal lead, that would not have happened had he been lazy.

If you have a downer on a young player, I would recommend reading the first ten pages of the Rose thread.

Lets hope Villa improve him..but he looks a little unsure of his role.
I think he needs to play in the centre.
The bit I saw of the Villa game, it was bit wacky races.

Last edited:
Back