• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

I’ve been down on Jose big time since the Liverpool game. Even when we were top, I wasn’t enjoying the football. I’m not a fan and I’ve come to the conclusion he is a mistake.

But we’ll beat West Ham this weekend and we’re about to go on a run of results. I’ve seen enough over the last week to convince me. If I’m wrong, I’ll build a shrine to the brilliance of Sissoko out my back garden.

To go with your Sanchez Dier Winks Davies Doherty Lucas and Aurier ones?

All similar candidates imv

Don't all of our managers statistically have a worse record than AVB?

Statistically yes. But what we have is a manager who's meant to instill a winning mentality, win at all costs. The expectation of bringing Mourinho is surely the expectation of winning?

He's now in his second season, with some players brought in who he wanted, two of the best attacking players in the League... and we're 9th. West Ham are above us, likely to finish above us and have no recognised striker but somehow David Moyes is getting a tune out of his squad and not complaining about it.

Statistically yes. But what we have is a manager who's meant to instill a winning meteorology, win at all costs. The expectation of bringing Mourinho is surely the expectation of winning?

He's now in his second season, with some players brought in who he wanted, two of the best attacking players in the League... and we're 9th. West Ham are above us, likely to finish above us and have no recognised striker but somehow David Moyes is getting a tune out of his squad and not complaining about it.

We are not going to finish ninth, just like West Ham isn't going to finish 5th. Table still has corrections to do (btw, West Ham is above Pool right now, Klopp out?)

Mourinho needs to do better, no question
The question is, does he get the time to fix it, where's the line and what's the judgement criteria?

I've seen nothing from the team that suggests they aren't playing for him (I remember the end of more than one Spurs manager where the team clearly couldn't give a fudge)

We are not going to finish ninth, just like West Ham isn't going to finish 5th. Table still has corrections to do (btw, West Ham is above Pool right now, Klopp out?)

The question is, does he get the time to fix it, where's the line and what's the judgement criteria?

I've seen nothing from the team that suggests they aren't playing for him (I remember the end of more than one Spurs manager where the team clearly couldn't give a fudge)

I'm in a minority here that I would be sad to see Jose sacked and think he should have more time, or more specifically he should have at least a season after buying a new centre back.

Yes we have been awful on occasion, but there have also been some matches where we seemed like we were "getting it". You also have to give some allowance to the fact we have games every 3-4 days + a few injuries. i.e. we are swapping an already poor defence every match partly due to knocks / injuries rather than by choice.

fwiw West Ham have Us, City, United, Arsenal, Leicester + Chelsea in their next 9 matches.
Conversely, we only have United and Leicester (last day) to play out of the big clubs - we have the "easiest" last 15 matches of any team.

The bottom line is we could still get top 4 and a cup, which realistically is "as good as it gets" until we start getting stadium income.

I hope you're right on league positions...

I agree with your post, and the players still playing for him is a good sign.

The line and judgement criteria are very good questions. For me league position and potential trophies is only part of the picture. Get into the CL somehow and I think he's more or less safe. 5th or 6th with a LC trophy I'm guessing is enough, but not sure. No trophy, no CL and I think he's in trouble, particularly if we finish below 6th.

How the team looks for the final months of the season is just as important though. If we struggle in the same ways, either defensively solid, but boring and not creating chances or just super vulnerable, but exciting I don't think that's good enough.

If we start looking like a cohesive side, play well, find some consistency, I think that will get him another season, even if we end up outside the CL and with no trophy.

If we continue to struggle, but somehow scrape a LC win I'm less convinced.

I'm in a minority here that I would be sad to see Jose sacked and think he should have more time, or more specifically he should have at least a season after buying a new centre back.

Yes we have been awful on occasion, but there have also been some matches where we seemed like we were "getting it". You also have to give some allowance to the fact we have games every 3-4 days + a few injuries. i.e. we are swapping an already poor defence every match partly due to knocks / injuries rather than by choice.

fwiw West Ham have Us, City, United, Arsenal, Leicester + Chelsea in their next 9 matches.
Conversely, we only have United and Leicester (last day) to play out of the big clubs - we have the "easiest" last 15 matches of any team.

The bottom line is we could still get top 4 and a cup, which realistically is "as good as it gets" until we start getting stadium income.
Could true, should.... maybe
Form has to change dramatically but then for example United form did when Ole was getting sacked (coincided with having a few key players fit in Pogba and Cavani)
Or we could crumble continuously and spiral down..
It’s a very odd season and I wouldn’t back against anything

A lot of defence of Jose and i get it, i want him to succeed and shove it down people's throats as much as you all do.

However, seems to be a bit of blind loyalty which disregards what is actually happening. He's got transfers in, he has some of the best players in the league in their respective positions, he's had injuries as has every other club. We're 9th. He's not getting the best out of the players he has available to him. We have a better squad than a couple of teams above us, but there is nothing on the pitch that shows we have progressed under him.

Neville and Carra brought this up well. Other managers in Top 10, seem to be proactive. Jose is reactive. He's not delivering on the base remit he was given. By all means, keep him until the Summer if you choose, i can't see anything substantial changing under him. Hopefully in the Summer we move on from this experiment.

By all means, keep him until the Summer if you choose, i can't see anything substantial changing under him. Hopefully in the Summer we move on from this experiment.

Risk of that is that the summer window is disrupted. Decision made in May, new manager arrives in June, meets players in July and has a few pre-season friendlies in late July/August, then knows what he might want and not want. A successful window relies a lot more on Hitchin in that case. I think if we're going to change Jose, better not to wait til late May to do so. Obviously the new guy might not be available til the summer though

Risk of that is that the summer window is disrupted. Decision made in May, new manager arrives in June, meets players in July and has a few pre-season friendlies in late July/August, then knows what he might want and not want. A successful window relies a lot more on Hitchin in that case. I think if we're going to change Jose, better not to wait til late May to do so. Obviously the new guy might not be available til the summer though

This is why having a good transfer department in place is vital - the medium to long term vision of the squad needs to be overseen by someone who is invested in the long term, not a manager whose role is determined by results in the short term - Levy was one of the pioneers in establishing this approach in English football, so strange that moving away from it has been our undoing

A lot of defence of Jose and i get it, i want him to succeed and shove it down people's throats as much as you all do.

However, seems to be a bit of blind loyalty which disregards what is actually happening. He's got transfers in, he has some of the best players in the league in their respective positions, he's had injuries as has every other club. We're 9th. He's not getting the best out of the players he has available to him. We have a better squad than a couple of teams above us, but there is nothing on the pitch that shows we have progressed under him.

Neville and Carra brought this up well. Other managers in Top 10, seem to be proactive. Jose is reactive. He's not delivering on the base remit he was given. By all means, keep him until the Summer if you choose, i can't see anything substantial changing under him. Hopefully in the Summer we move on from this experiment.

Jose plays a counter style, that is what he does, that vs. playing the same way every game is a whole other argument.

There is no blind loyalty here, it's trying to make a proper evaluation vs. just buying into a narrative that people bought into before he joined.
- Yes, he's got transfers in, but arguably his 2nd best/most impactful player in the transfer window has been injured for a good part of the bad run
- 7 players in, with pretty much no preseason, adapting time has to be a factor
- We have played more of the top sides than anyone else (City, Pool, Chelsea twice), so last 15 games will be easier
- We are in a cup final
- We are 4 points off CL spot even after this run of form with a game in hand over a few teams above us.

To your other point, i.e. he's not getting the best out of his players? opinions but
- Kane and Son statistically at least are on track for their best seasons
- Aurier is a much improved player
- PEH looks a better player for Spurs than he ever did at Southampton
- Ndombele has certainly improved
- He's also working on the young players with a loan strategy (that is very different to last manager) that will likely get us a much better version of Sessegnon and Skipp next season

My view is
- As long as we are still in with a shot of CL football next season, and as long as we have a shot at the cup, he stays

The team is still playing, there are still good games, flashes of what could be, if at the end of the season he has failed and the style/consistency of the team is still poor, I have no doubt Levy will make the right choice.

This is why having a good transfer department in place is vital - the medium to long term vision of the squad needs to be overseen by someone who is invested in the long term, not a manager whose role is determined by results in the short term - Levy was one of the pioneers in establishing this approach in English football, so strange that moving away from it has been our undoing

Agreed - Hitchen is supposed to be our answer in that regard isnt he?

Back