• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

Obviously not (/s if needed)

Also it's hilarious that people call for a DoF, I was on this board when we appointed a DoF pretty much before any other club in UK and the media and vast majority of this board were against it, it was a "continental thing" that would never work in England and was yet another example of Levy not being a football man and not understanding how things work.
The media were but I don't think those on this board were at all. Arnesen was massively valued.

Why? why not experience, an Allegri type as example?

I see no value in a "learn on the job manager", we compete against teams effectively playing on cheat code (City spent £390M on their defence alone) with top experienced managers and a young manager needs to compete against that?

We need a manager who will help us refresh/rebuild the team over 2-3 years and then hopefully stay for a similar period at least beyond that to reap the rewards.

Given Allegri's time at Juve, I'd expect that he'd be off to someone richer well before that period whether Real, Barca, Milan/Inter,.

The media were but I don't think those on this board were at all. Arnesen was massively valued.

Could be memories but I distinctly remember the view being SAF & Wenger were the success model and we should not be trying to copy a "stupid European thing"

Later Arnesen was valued

We need a manager who will help us refresh/rebuild the team over 2-3 years and then hopefully stay for a similar period at least beyond that to reap the rewards.

Given Allegri's time at Juve, I'd expect that he'd be off to someone richer well before that period whether Real, Barca, Milan/Inter,.

Not sure I see it mate, what manager is going to make 6 years? (I wouldn't be surprised if Klopp doesn't at Pool with winning CL & PL)

Could be memories but I distinctly remember the view being SAF & Wenger were the success model and we should not be trying to copy a "stupid European thing"

Later Arnesen was valued
In the media yes. On here, I don't think so.

It has always seemed to me that those occasions when we had somebody in that got Levy further away from the transfers were the times that we seemed to get more deals over the line (both in and out).

Not sure I see it mate, what manager is going to make 6 years? (I wouldn't be surprised if Klopp doesn't at Pool with winning CL & PL)

Agreed that there's no guarantee, but with some managers you can be pretty certain that they won't be around in 5 years whether because of age, or their regularity of moves or whatever reason.

I think we need a manager something like Poch was when he arrived at Spurs, or perhaps a little more proven

Agreed that there's no guarantee, but with some managers you can be pretty certain that they won't be around in 5 years whether because of age, or their regularity of moves or whatever reason.

I think we need a manager something like Poch was when he arrived at Spurs, or perhaps a little more proven

Listened to Rule the Roost podcast, they bring up some fair points. We're not there anymore i'm afraid. Many managers at top clubs are usually 3 seasons or so, very few last 5+ years now. And we're no longer in the project team, ala Everton or Leicester. We're talked about as Big 6 so once Jose goes, expectations will be people such as Zidane, Allegri, that sort of player. Which doesn't fill me with hope tbh. But can't see it being a project type manager ala Poch.

Listened to Rule the Roost podcast, they bring up some fair points. We're not there anymore i'm afraid. Many managers at top clubs are usually 3 seasons or so, very few last 5+ years now. And we're no longer in the project team, ala Everton or Leicester. We're talked about as Big 6 so once Jose goes, expectations will be people such as Zidane, Allegri, that sort of player. Which doesn't fill me with hope tbh. But can't see it being a project type manager ala Poch.

I dont think we're Everton or Leicester, but we dont have the means to buy finished article players who are mid 20s and cost £60m - £80m. At least not many of them. We need a manager who can grow players and a team.

The words 'or perhaps a little more proven' at the end of my post above shold perhaps have been stronger - I think there's a big difference between a Nagelsmann say, and a Allegri/Zidane. Rose at Borussia M, or Rodgers, or Nagelmann - more proven than Poch was and more likely to take a longer-term view IMO

I dont think we're Everton or Leicester, but we dont have the means to buy finished article players who are mid 20s and cost £60m - £80m. At least not many of them. We need a manager who can grow players and a team.

The words 'or perhaps a little more proven' at the end of my post above shold perhaps have been stronger - I think there's a big difference between a Nagelsmann say, and a Allegri/Zidane. Rose at Borussia M, or Rodgers, or Nagelmann - more proven than Poch was and more likely to take a longer-term view IMO

Pragmatically/realistically

- We need a manager who will keep us in top 4 and provide the occasional shot at silverware until the economic return on the stadium starts to pay off and gives us the ability to buy more finished article players.

Hence to bring the it back to the thread, why the appointment of the current manager made sense on paper.

I don't see us going back to an "unknown/unexperienced" manager anytime soon.

Pragmatically/realistically

- We need a manager who will keep us in top 4 and provide the occasional shot at silverware until the economic return on the stadium starts to pay off and gives us the ability to buy more finished article players.

Hence to bring the it back to the thread, why the appointment of the current manager made sense on paper.

I don't see us going back to an "unknown/unexperienced" manager anytime soon.

Agree with why Jose made sense as an appointment - for exactly the reasons you mention.

I think where I differ from you is the 'keep us in top 4' part of your post.

I don't see us finishing top 4 this season. Question is whether its realistic to expect the players which we bring in this summer to lead us to top 4 next season.

Depending on your view on that (which comes down to how far off we are, how much we have to spend etc) probably leads you to different answers on (i) who would replace Jose if he leaves and (ii) the type of player which you sign this summer.

I agree we won't go for unknowns, but I'm not sure I see us going for the type of manager who Chelsea often hire - Conte, Ancelotti, Hiddink, Benitez, Grant, Scolari,...

Agree with why Jose made sense as an appointment - for exactly the reasons you mention.

I think where I differ from you is the 'keep us in top 4' part of your post.

I don't see us finishing top 4 this season. Question is whether its realistic to expect the players which we bring in this summer to lead us to top 4 next season.

Depending on your view on that (which comes down to how far off we are, how much we have to spend etc) probably leads you to different answers on (i) who would replace Jose if he leaves and (ii) the type of player which you sign this summer.

I agree we won't go for unknowns, but I'm not sure I see us going for the type of manager who Chelsea often hire - Conte, Ancelotti, Hiddink, Benitez, Grant, Scolari,...

We have a top 4 capable side, history and the fact that even after a dire run we are still 4 points off suggest that, will we get there this season? we would need to turn around our form considerably in next few weeks.

Next season we are as good a call as anyone for top 4

Chelsea is on the whim of RA, for every Ancelotti there is a weird one like Lampard or Grant

So what we’re looking for is an unproven, proven manager, who is young enough but experienced enough

And we need to sign players who are unproven but could develop (so are a gamble) and ones that the new guy is willing to work with and invest time in (the biggest commodity in football in short supply is time to course)

so who fits the bill???

what I’ll add is that we seem to do better playing wise with managers who we have recruited form within the prem. That familiarity with the needs of the league in normal circumstances is massive as we saw with Harry, Poch and Jol

so back to the unproven/proven conundrum... I guess we’re looking for a guy who has proved a side but maybe not win who has actually win anything as in reality so few managers have actually won much due to the power of the clubs with the £££ ?!?!

We also want a manager who’s team play good football as that’s clearly a Spurs requirement and the fans will not get behind a manager who doesn’t do that

Experience some people have said is important so I guess having some overseas experience is nice to have too.

Looking at that... your looking two managers potentially....

Ralph or potter
I don’t like managers who fawn after their hero’s when they beat them 1 nil at home... and I also have an issue with a team that gets battered more than once

potter has for the prem the hard way via overseas management. That’s a real positive in my book
He has also been in management 10 years so doesn’t have the baggage some may have
He has won manager of the year awards in Sweden but hasn’t won any honours as a manager
He is known for having a very flexible system and set up that means his tree has adapt during games (our team can’t adapt to anything currently)
I mean he is basically Poch but with floppy hair
Would he be accepted by our fans?!!

Proven managers aren't going to go to a club unless they are already established at the top of the league with a strong team - these guys have done the nitty gritty in their careers already and want to go places where they're set up to succeed from the off.

We got Mourinho because he is on damage repair duty as far as his brand is concerned - that and he no doubt thought the squad/team was closer to our peak under Poch than it actually was.

Depending on how it pans out with JM, but assuming for the benefit of conversation that he leaves in the summer with us out of Europe/in Europa League - we are not going to be appointing a proven manager at the top of the game and it would be debatable whether that would be the right move anyway. What we would need is a manager on the up who has shown that he can move a team up a level or two over 2-3 years, a Poch type appointment but one a few rungs ahead of where he was when we appointed him tand who has perhaps shown that he can get an outsider team in to the CL abroad or done well in Europe on the big stage with a side from a less fashionable league.

Back