• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

A lot still being made of poor player performances and don't get me wrong, there's a tonne of those, and Sanchez obviously shown he can't handle the pace of PL now.

But, how much chopping and changing is there recently?

Different RB, different CB pairing, different combinations in midfield paired and then substitutions occur mid-game to then alter that too on non-figuratively a game by game basis? There's absolutely no consistency. If you have a different defence every game, it's hardly surprising we can't keep a clean sheet.
Missed the match and build up but was Aurier injured or just not selected? If he was fit it might have been wiser to start him at RB and have Tanganga in as a CB, he has the pace required but I suppose Mourinho may not be convinced by his concentration levels?

To your wider point it does feel like he's trying to find the right balance in defence but nothing is quite working for him. Whomever is selected just makes their own version of the same mistakes.

Missed the match and build up but was Aurier injured or just not selected? If he was fit it might have been wiser to start him at RB and have Tanganga in as a CB, he has the pace required but I suppose Mourinho may not be convinced by his concentration levels?

To your wider point it does feel like he's trying to find the right balance in defence but nothing is quite working for him. Whomever is selected just makes their own version of the same mistakes.

Hard to find balance when you chop and change from game.

Maybe he needs to pair them up and rather than drop out one player he switches to the other two.

Dier + Rodon
Alderweireld + Sanchez

At least then they each have a chance of forming some kind of partnership

Last edited:
Is the problem that it is yesterday's football?
Maybe
I mean people said ancelotti would be good for us (and maybe he would have been) but he has resorted to it
Maybe the answer is for a manager who doenst have the experience (trophies also come with baggage) and for for a hungry manager with a view of how to play

Is the problem that it is yesterday's football?
The low block has only ever been so successful. It has success to a degree historically but it's always been a case of things falling fortunately. The opposition missing that key chance, that offside ruling a goal out, the fortunate deflection etc. It's playing a game of percentages and occasionally it works but for the most part the winning teams are those that play on the front foot.

There a bit of revisioning re Mourinho his team's haven't historically used the low block across the board. It's usually been saved for specific opposition albeit those have tended to be the bigger matches with more eyes on them so there's this idea that he has always parked the bus in all matches but that's far from the truth.

Maybe
I mean people said ancelotti would be good for us (and maybe he would have been) but he has resorted to it
Maybe the answer is for a manager who doenst have the experience (trophies also come with baggage) and for for a hungry manager with a view of how to play
I think that we need to go for a young manager with a modern outlook on the game for our next appointment and pair him with a top class DoF. This should be the case no matter when Mourinho's time at the club comes to an end.

I think that we need to go for a young manager with a modern outlook on the game for our next appointment and pair him with a top class DoF. This should be the case no matter when Mourinho's time at the club comes to an end.

Why? why not experience, an Allegri type as example?

I see no value in a "learn on the job manager", we compete against teams effectively playing on cheat code (City spent £390M on their defence alone) with top experienced managers and a young manager needs to compete against that?

I see no value in a "learn on the job manager", we compete against teams effectively playing on cheat code (City spent £390M on their defence alone) with top experienced managers and a young manager needs to compete against that?
Money!
We are not Chelsea.
We cant even bin Mourinho now which is what Roman would have done, as it would cost.

Money!
We are not Chelsea.
We cant even bin Mourinho now which is what Roman would have done, as it would cost.

What? we sacked Poch at stupid cost to the club because he wouldn't walk
Spurs managers have always been paid well, Jose isn't here on charity money

So is your comment an experienced manager won't be paid? or they won't come here without an open checkbook (because that isn't going to happen at almost any club in next two to three years)?

Allegri's football will be no different than Mourinho's and if we are fed up with the bridesmaid type managers he's certainly not the guy to take over. You may point to his title wins with Juve but he was taking over a well oiled winbing machine, instead look at his inability to win in Europe with them. He did win a title with Milan that is to his credit so he has that but many times his team's have been in commanding positions only to fail from a strong position. He isn't the man to change our mentality as a club because he already suffers from it.

I do think these questionable elements are why hasnt been picked by one of the super clubs despite being eminently available.

Last edited:
I agree the DOF is key
It’s stability and structure at the top

I think we need a manager who can build a new team, a team that can put in performances that are greater than the sum of their parts. I think we need to look to the way that clubs such as Leverkusen, Leipzig and Leicester are doing business and operate that same sort of model for a few years.

If and when we then get ourselves back to the top table again then we need the chairman to actually properly back the manager this time instead of taking him for granted. Note though that the odds on a manager doing what Poch did are very long.

I think we need a manager who can build a new team, a team that can put in performances that are greater than the sum of their parts. I think we need to look to the way that clubs such as Leverkusen, Leipzig and Leicester are doing business and operate that same sort of model for a few years.

If and when we then get ourselves back to the top table again then we need the chairman to actually properly back the manager this time instead of taking him for granted. Note though that the odds on a manager doing what Poch did are very long.

The problem is we don't want to be a Leverkusen, Ajax or Atleti (think they are better comparison of traditional selling clubs), Leicester spend more than people realize (input cash), our ambitions are higher.

The other issue is we need someone who can make an impact now, because in 3 years you would likely not have Son & Kane

I'm going to leave the taking the manager for granted thing alone, it's been done to death.

Post covid, Spurs due to the investments/sacrifices already made should be in a much better position to compete vs. settling for being a stepping stone club.

What? we sacked Poch at stupid cost to the club because he wouldn't walk
Spurs managers have always been paid well, Jose isn't here on charity money

So is your comment an experienced manager won't be paid? or they won't come here without an open checkbook (because that isn't going to happen at almost any club in next two to three years)?

Bit of both. We won't pay for Jose's departure now apparently. So not a clue what money we have for players so I cant see 'an Allegri' being an option.

The problem is we don't want to be a Leverkusen, Ajax or Atleti (think they are better comparison of traditional selling clubs), Leicester spend more than people realize (input cash), our ambitions are higher.

The other issue is we need someone who can make an impact now, because in 3 years you would likely not have Son & Kane

I'm going to leave the taking the manager for granted thing alone, it's been done to death.

Post covid, Spurs due to the investments/sacrifices already made should be in a much better position to compete vs. settling for being a stepping stone club.
Our ambitions are higher in our own minds but that hasn't been backed up by the actions of the chairman (other than sacking managers who don't continue to over achieve).

The facts are that we have the 6th (maybe 7th now as Everton had got very close before this season?) biggest wage bill and traditionally haven't operated one of the biggest transfer budgets. Time will tell if things change in terms of the wage and transfer budget. As you say, post covid we should be well placed to be competing with pretty much any club for transfers, lets see if we do.

However my own opinion is that we will need a very forward thinking combination of manager and DoF working in tandem to be able to compete for the big trophies with the level of wage bill we are likely to operate in comparison to those we are competing with for trophies.

Our ambitions are higher in our own minds but that hasn't been backed up by the actions of the chairman (other than sacking managers who don't continue to over achieve). The facts are that we have the 6th (maybe 7th now as Everton had got very close before this season?) biggest wage bill and traditionally haven't operated one of the biggest transfer budgets. Time will tell if things change in terms of the wage and transfer budget. As you say, post covid we should be well placed to be competing with pretty much any club for transfers, lets see if we do.

Do the stadium and training ground not show Levy's ambition?

Do the stadium and training ground not show Levy's ambition?

Obviously not (/s if needed)

Also it's hilarious that people call for a DoF, I was on this board when we appointed a DoF pretty much before any other club in UK and the media and vast majority of this board were against it, it was a "continental thing" that would never work in England and was yet another example of Levy not being a football man and not understanding how things work.

Back