• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

From the football365 piece:

https://www.football365.com/news/16...erpool-firmino-alexander-arnold-mane-hojbjerg

Mourinho blamed “individual mistakes” for the concession of “completely avoidable” goals recently, and indeed after this game. He technically wasn’t wrong to do so. But he must also see that his particular brand of cautious, rigid, low-risk and low-line football puts undue pressure on a defence ill-equipped to implement it, especially against such an energetic and effervescent team. It requires absolute unbroken concentration and perfect decision-making for 90 minutes against an elite, if out-of-form, attack. That really isn’t a realistic expectation, and certainly not of this defence.

To continue to watch individual mistakes and bemoan said individual mistakes as the sole reason for your undoing instead of devising a system and plan that reduces the likelihood of them being made is baffling. Don’t blame the trousers if you keep bricking yourself.

To be fair to him, all 3 goals came from bad individual mistakes. He might well then claim that we'd have won 1-0 aside from that

To your point though, the system simply wasnt working. We were being over-run in midfield and its amazing that they didnt rack up more

To be fair to him, all 3 goals came from bad individual mistakes. He might well then claim that we'd have won 1-0 aside from that

To your point though, the system simply wasnt working. We were being over-run in midfield and its amazing that they didnt rack up more
I don't think anyone is denying the multiple mistakes that lead to their goals, but it is typical Jose to blame the player mistakes. He could easily have mentioned that they were more clinical than us or deflected the question as he has done for years. But as always, HE is blameless and it is ALL the fault of players switching off. Maybe, if his magical man management is as good as he thinks it is, he could have drummed into Aurier to not lose concentration at the end of a half (remember Leicester)? Or he could have brought on Vinicius or Bale as the focal point of our attack to allow Son to trouble the 'Pool defense (which remember, had Henderson and some gawky youngster at CB). But not, it's all down the the players.

Like everyone else on here, I’m a biased Spurs fan and I also have an irrational hatred of Liverpool. If there was any way to claim we were robbed last night, I’d be shouting it from the rooftops. But we absolutely got what we deserved.

We were clearly second best by a distance. We never looked like scoring and always looked like conceding. Yes we made individual mistakes but we were dreadful besides that.
He can blame his players all he wants but it’s his tactics that had us completely and utterly outclassed and every move he made only succeeded in making things worse.

But again, if Mourinho's football is predicated on defense not making mistakes, then i think he needs a new type of tactic because our defence isn't good enough to not make a mistake. We make them game in, game out, anyone on this forum can see that.

Yes there were 3 mistakes, but we don't try and attack the opposition as highlighted by our woeful attacking numbers since he's been in charge. Again, everyone knows if you negate Kane and Son, which Liverpool did in 30 mins, we won't really do much else. We're so easy to play against, it's frightening to the point that West Ham are above us.

You can't claim something is a springboard to further success whilst disagreeing that it led to the success that came after in the instances mentioned. They're mutually exclusive you see...

And @harr1984 i agree winning league cup would be great but i think you're sorely mistaken if you think anyone outside of Spurs will think it's going to impact 'sexy' - that's here until we start winning the big boy prizes. EL might do it
The League Cup is either won by one of the very big boys who also win the real big titles or by one off winners who do fluke all else.

Wait these players won things in other teams, how many of them were dominant in those teams? Djemba Djemba won an FA Cup with Man U ...

The whole idea is to build a squad and team that can win things here together. Are you saying that it wouldnt get a monkey off our back? The media other fans, our fans all make comments on the lack of silverware. Completely different scenarois to the teams that you have mentioned.

Its not an elite competition but its still a step in the right direction.
Winning the league cup will be great. It won’t make one iota of difference in us winning one of the big pots though.

Last edited:
I'd love Rodgers but would be a tough sell to get him in

Thats not a bad call but why would he come to us?
Would Levy pay the compo required?

Realistically I don’t think it would make that much difference when we have a defence like we do at the moment

But Brendan could certainly improve our attack and midfield and general set up

I know you seem loyal but players like Sanchez Doherty Dier Aurier Moura Lamela etc aren’t good enough and Toby must be nearly over the hill but still better than that lot
Reggie will probably leave and Gio looks like he’s going to be another Lamela although I do rate him when fit

Rodon and Tanganga can learn and have potential as does Bergwijn arguably although I’m not a fan

We need a decent back up GK

Ridiculous relying on Hart and you know how I feel about Hugo’s latest form although personally I would have gotten rid after he decided to get in a car drunk and drive it yet he is still skipper

Thats not a bad call but why would he come to us?
Would Levy pay the compo required?

Realistically I don’t think it would make that much difference when we have a defence like we do at the moment

But Brendan could certainly improve our attack and midfield and general set up

I know you seem loyal but players like Sanchez Doherty Dier Aurier Moura Lamela etc aren’t good enough and Toby must be nearly over the hill but still better than that lot
Reggie will probably leave and Gio looks like he’s going to be another Lamela although I do rate him when fit

Rodon and Tanganga can learn and have potential as does Bergwijn arguably although I’m not a fan

We need a decent back up GK

Ridiculous relying on Hart and you know how I feel about Hugo’s latest form although personally I would have gotten rid after he decided to get in a car drunk and drive it yet he is still skipper

Better wages
Bigger club
Higher cieling

Is it chicken or egg with Mourinho? Does he think our defenders are so bad that we have to play a low block with so many players behind the ball. Or is that his general modus operandi regardless of how good our defenders are?

Personally, if he really wanted to play 3 cbs and two wingbacks, then I would have played Bergwyn at left wingback ( he virtually plays there anyway) instead of playing an out of form Dougherty on his wrong side there. Then we could have played another midfielder/ forward in front of Bergwyn maybe Lucas or even Bale. As it was we were hopelessly on the back foot from the start.

Is it chicken or egg with Mourinho? Does he think our defenders are so bad that we have to play a low block with so many players behind the ball. Or is that his general modus operandi regardless of how good our defenders are?

Personally, I would have played Bergwyn at right wingback ( he virtually plays there anyway) instead of playing an out of form Dougherty there. Then we could have played another midfielder/ forward in front of Bergwyn maybe Lucas or even Bale.
Well...
He certainly moved the midfield deeper after the West Ham debacle (a league record don’t forget for conceding 3 goals in that time)
He also did something similar the year he won the league at Chelsea when they conceded a late avoidable goal vs Stoke I believe
He changed the set up and they the league
TBF... I know people don’t agree.. we then had a run of clean sheets and went too
I said it before the pool game I was happy he stuck with the 3-4-3 as I think the formation suits us (maybe not vs pool though) abs it’s an attacking one if you FBs push in like we saw cs Sheffield United (who have since beaten United and could have nicked a draw vs city)
But the systems don’t matter when you make such basics errors, unforced ones too.
we need the players to be accountable for their mistakes but fans always blame the manager as ultimately there the ones responsible for the team.
my concern still is we have too many players starting that let Poch down and their errors (regardless of formation) are letting Jose down too. we didn’t concede the all into that first goals just before half time vs pool or Leicester due to being under loads of pressure. We conceded them because we got the basics very wrong
It’s not new
It’s not different
It’s probably not an easy fix
And to give a reference it tools Klopp 4 years to get pool just to the level of results the had achieved 5 years earlier

Well...
He certainly moved the midfield deeper after the West Ham debacle (a league record don’t forget for conceding 3 goals in that time)
He also did something similar the year he won the league at Chelsea when they conceded a late avoidable goal vs Stoke I believe
He changed the set up and they the league
TBF... I know people don’t agree.. we then had a run of clean sheets and went too
I said it before the pool game I was happy he stuck with the 3-4-3 as I think the formation suits us (maybe not vs pool though) abs it’s an attacking one if you FBs push in like we saw cs Sheffield United (who have since beaten United and could have nicked a draw vs city)
But the systems don’t matter when you make such basics errors, unforced ones too.
we need the players to be accountable for their mistakes but fans always blame the manager as ultimately there the ones responsible for the team.
my concern still is we have too many players starting that let Poch down and their errors (regardless of formation) are letting Jose down too. we didn’t concede the all into that first goals just before half time vs pool or Leicester due to being under loads of pressure. We conceded them because we got the basics very wrong
It’s not new
It’s not different
It’s probably not an easy fix
And to give a reference it tools Klopp 4 years to get pool just to the level of results the had achieved 5 years earlier
Hopefully Jorge Mendes has another commanding CB on his books (if only Mourinho could’ve persuaded him to make sure we got Dias!) who will improve our error-prone defence as much as swapping Lovren for van Dijk did for Klopp.

I am beginning to have doubts about Mourinho but not sure if he is fully in charge at Spurs. I think as usual it is Levy who is in charge, not letting the managers the freedom they need to succeed. It is still Pochettino's team as most of the players who started under Pochettino are starting under Mourinho as well. And most of the players signed under Mourinho have struggled to impress except for Reguillon and Hojbjerg. I think Mourinho should have been allowed to bring his own players but most of the signings are the Levy-type young and unknown signings.

Spurs v Liverpool (Jan21) - last shot on target - 48th minute
Spurs v Wolves (Dec20) - last shot on target - 21st minute
Spurs v Antwerp (Oct20) - last shot on target - 19th minute
Spurs v Man U (June20) - Last shot on target - 31st minute

--< in July 2020 after restart i found a stat we had 4 shots on goal in 3 games --> pretty sure Google can confirm which games
--< January 2020 - 3 weeks without a shot on target --> again need Google to confirm which games but we drew 0-0 with Emirates Marketing Project with 0 shots (not shots on goal, i mean actual 0 shots)

Anyone noticing a common theme here? It's not by accident how little we attack, it's by design.

2 shots on target in nearly 2 games of 90 minutes. Let me know when you folks ready for this conversation...

He's done. It's just a question of how long it will take Levy to face the inevitable. Six to twelve months based on previous experience.

He's done. It's just a question of how long it will take Levy to face the inevitable. Six to twelve months based on previous experience.

Agreed. We just need him out asap. Try to get Rodgers, or otherwise get an interim manager in and then the long-term guy in the summer

Our game plan this season has been to give it to Kane and he sets up Son or scores himself. Now Kane is injured we look even more toothless than usual.
We don't have a style of play, other than set up in a formation that seems totally unsuited to the opposition. GHod this is depressing

Back