• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

I know Mourinho is more than a one-trick pony. He can setup teams to play more, of course. But he has a natural tendency to be defensive. Which is good, as we know a winning side needs that. The thing is getting the balance right. Bringing on LeCelco and Davies against Chelsea, and how restrained we were second half today are not worthy of great criticism, but they are a sign of his approach. I don't mind that approach, so long as we are practiced in playing too.

Against Chelsea I wanted to see him swap an attacker for another attacker, instead he brought on Davies; and while you can't criticise us today, you want us to use the ball better than we did in the second half.

Wolves pen!! edit blooming var :(
I don’t think he is a one trick pony, quite the opposite in fact. If you look at Managers such Hassenhuttl, Klopp and Pep, they set their teams up to play one way irrespective of the opposition. It’s very effective mostly but if a team figures out how to play through their system, there usually is not a plan B. Mourinho is far more pragmatic. He sets up his team depending on the opposition. Which is why he is the ultimate party pooper, able to beat teams such as Liverpool or nullify an in form Chelsea.

When was the last time after 4 games against the top 6 sides we sat on 10 points - 10
Goals for and 1 against?
We have only played 3 of the top 6 so far... city, United and Chelsea...
7 points
1 goal against
8 goals for
We have also played 3 more of the top 10 in Everton, Southampton and West Ham only taking 4 points there
We have beaten 4 of the bottom 6 in the 4 games against them (that includes West Brom, Burnley, Brighton and arsenal)

I don’t think he is a one trick pony, quite the opposite in fact. If you look at Managers such Hassenhuttl, Klopp and Pep, they set their teams up to play one way irrespective of the opposition. It’s very effective mostly but if a team figures out how to play through their system, there usually is not a plan B. Mourinho is far more pragmatic. He sets up his team depending on the opposition. Which is why he is the ultimate party pooper, able to beat teams such as Liverpool or nullify an in form Chelsea.

I think you’re right. I was a bit down on the second half today and against Chelsea but we didn’t have to do anything differently. When we do, I think we will.

Jose plays to win (or sometimes not to lose). That’s the sole aim. If we’re behind or need to attack a team, I’m sure he’s got a few other tricks up his sleeve.

We have only played 3 of the top 6 so far... city, United and Chelsea...
7 points
1 goal against
8 goals for
We have also played 3 more of the top 10 in Everton, Southampton and West Ham only taking 4 points there
We have beaten 4 of the bottom 6 in the 4 games against them (that includes West Brom, Burnley, Brighton and arsenal)

Being an old fart I learnt long ago it's not where you are in the league that matters it's what you do on the day.

Neville and Redknapp were going on about how Son and Kane were the only difference and Arse didn't do anything wrong and they could feel hard done by etc. Was driving me mad. If we didn't have the quality to go 2 up then we wouldn't have been sat back letting them have the ball (well we might but not as much as we did today anyway). They should have been commenting how well we did to be clinical and do the damage early and then shut up shop.

There is the big fault, expecting to get any sense out of Neville and Redknapp.

There is the big fault, expecting to get any sense out of Neville and Redknapp.

It’s terrible analysis and I’m amazed at Neville because he has a clue. Yes they are the stars in our team but put them in the Woolwich team today and they would have really struggled to score against us because of how well we were organised. The way we were drilled was a major part of the difference. Son doesn’t get to shoot from there against Jose’s team. Woolwich wouldn’t ever get 5 on 2 against a Jose team.

That’s a major part of the difference between us and them today. Yes Kane and Son are superstars but a Jose team is never as defensively naive as Woolwich were today.

Nonsense punditry the same as all the clowns in the media who had been dismissing us for weeks and weeks because they are stuck in the mindset that it can be only Liverpool or City. As we keep getting results, they’re having to rethink that.

Funny I am not even worried about Arsenal these days. Chelsea are currently are biggest London rivals. Which suits me fine as I absolutely detest that club and set of supporters.
The way Mourinho was talking up Arteta after the game he clearly agrees - he wants Arteta to keep that job and doesn’t see them as a threat at all:D

Can not question Mourinho. In a season with the same games in a shorter time, it makes sense to get us compact and defending rather than pressing. A good defense is also the foundation of any winning side. No side wins silverware with a leaky defense.

But I hope he gets us using the ball better. We don't want to forget how to play in other ways too. At some point we'll need to come back from going a goal down. And to take the pressure off, we need to be able to pass and hold the ball.

Second half wasn't much to watch, but we're top of league !

2nd half under normal circumstances would have been Ndombele on for Gio, and he would have murdered that Scum midfield.

We didn't have that option, we were 2-0, it was clear that another 2 days and the Scum would not have scored, so close up shop, manage the game, don't be stupid and take home the 3 points.

People forget how many matches (that made the difference between us winning something or not), we played just like Arsenal and City did against us, lots of possession, lots of low percentage chances, pretty sideways passing, then get fudged on one or two counters and leave thinking we were "unlucky" .. no we weren't ..

I started the post with "I know Mourinho is more than a one-trick pony."

I agree he is one of the more flexible managers. And I think he is adapting our tactics to a. the condensed amount of games this season and b. our squad of very decent but not exceptional players. Poch tried to get us to add a defensive block to our game. But it never quite worked. Poch didn't have the faith to see it through. It has taken Mourinho a year. I am all for Mourinho's approach, but we will need more in other games. We need to keep developing. Work on playing through the middle which Ndombele certainly improves.

Back