• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

everyone assumed it was a Poch call on squad size
And squad size is fine if you have the right balance of players

Or 22 quality players.
Compare the back ups we have for son, Kane and lamela for instance now to what we have had.
Or at cb, where although peak Toby and Jan were imho better than we have now, the back ups now are better.
It's a squad game, and We are finally in a position to have the squad that can take us to the next stage.

Jose's impact

- reset the attitude, got us as a team happy again ..
- worked with Levy, got new players, and instantly played them (no time to settle brick)
- Pushed players to improve (Ndombele the obvious one)
- Got competition to lift players games (Aurier and Davies)
- Communication and accountability, you see players giving instructions, talking on pitch much more
- A bit more tactical nuance, we play based on our opposition more than "just our way"

Results (I believe it's one loss in last 14)

Or 22 quality players.
Compare the back ups we have for son, Kane and lamela for instance now to what we have had.
Or at cb, where although peak Toby and Jan were imho better than we have now, the back ups now are better.
It's a squad game, and We are finally in a position to have the squad that can take us to the next stage.
Our squad is IMO comfortably ahead of our peers with 2 players for every position with experience (most squads still have an element of youth players)
With COVID taking players out it will be needed

Helps when you have a deep squad, something the former never really had.

Hence why plenty of poor performers last season kept their place in the team under Mourinho.
Which is again helped by having a transfer window where £45m or so was sufficient to get four first team players and two (hopefully good) backup players. This is again helped by having a manager that is able to clearly identify which player types and which individual players that can work within our budget.

Not necessarily meaning that as a criticism of Pochettino, definitely not looking for a Pochettino discussion. Just talking about Mourinho deserving praise in getting the squad he now has at his disposal.

Also worth pointing out that this squad is also a result of getting better performances out of Aurier and Ndombele in particular, but arguably also other players. Had we needed upgrades/replacements for them too our squad may not have been looking as impressive right now.

I always wanted Jose to succeed (i have close friends who are Man U who are still gutted he left them). But was always wary and as @thfcsteff pointed out, this was very dependent on Levy delivering.

It's hard to explain, i think there's been times certainly last season and of course Everton where i was deeply worried the players weren't playing for him. It just felt really uneasy. But this last week, whether it's Jose mind games or something else, the us against them meteorology, i'm loving it, and the players look really united all of a sudden.

Good!
I hope this is indicative of a portion of our fanbase re-evaluating past thoughts.

Which is again helped by having a transfer window where £45m or so was sufficient to get four first team players and two (hopefully good) backup players. This is again helped by having a manager that is able to clearly identify which player types and which individual players that can work within our budget.

Not necessarily meaning that as a criticism of Pochettino, definitely not looking for a Pochettino discussion. Just talking about Mourinho deserving praise in getting the squad he now has at his disposal.

Also worth pointing out that this squad is also a result of getting better performances out of Aurier and Ndombele in particular, but arguably also other players. Had we needed upgrades/replacements for them too our squad may not have been looking as impressive right now.

The transfer work done this summer is exceptional and i can't think of many setups that would have improved a team/squad to this extent, certainly no argument from me that Mourinho will have contributed to that. Helps of course that we seemingly now have the capability to pay competitive wages to the level of player that will improve us, whereas before we were restricted on that front as much as transfser fee.

Last edited:

Was listening to a pod cast earlier describing it as a window that Poch would be envious of
But we have secured all these players for roughly £57m
Add in Bergwein and we have spent about £80m under Jose
That’s not a huge amount by anyone’s standards, and in comparison to Poch a last window it’s roughly 2/3rds for quite a lot more players as it’s a different world now.

The key as you say is getting players up to their potential which Poch was aiming for with Tubby (he did say he will need time). If Jose can get the best from players who are here it’s a huge boost with the fresh blood. It helps change the tone and atmosphere around the club

Jose's impact

- reset the attitude, got us as a team happy again ..
- worked with Levy, got new players, and instantly played them (no time to settle brick)
- Pushed players to improve (Ndombele the obvious one)
- Got competition to lift players games (Aurier and Davies)
- Communication and accountability, you see players giving instructions, talking on pitch much more
- A bit more tactical nuance, we play based on our opposition more than "just our way"

Results (I believe it's one loss in last 14)

To be fair, several of those games were against brick teams like FC Pigfarmer...

...and Manchester United :)

To be fair, several of those games were against brick teams like FC Pigfarmer...

...and Manchester United :)

We really do need to keep that in mind.
Not that disparaging Jose or the team, but we went from brick against Everton to great in four games.
Two weeks of hype and anticipation after the Manchester result could get expectations raised prematurely.
Think we've all seen signs of our potential, let's not get ahead of ourselves though.
I won't be looking for anything consistent until Christmas.

But coming back to the topic at hand, Jose. I was gutted when Poch left (and i'll always wonder what if Poch saw the investment Jose got, yes i know we'll never know...)

Jose is like Diego Costa (or Lamela!). If he's your Jose, you love him. If he's against you, you hate him. I would love to see him bring us some success. He's a bit of a pantomine villain but he's ours and i want him to smash it.

The us vs them worked at Porta, and Chelsea, and Inter. It didn't work at United. But at Spurs, maybe it fits. And for too long, our players have been too nice. I loved Poch but he was too nice.

I really cannot get over the players reaction the other day. They genuinely looked happy, a stellar difference than vs Everton. I genuinely think they felt a bit like recently, the Soton game, and now OT, they followed Jose's plan, and that plan has led to some convincing wins. I dunno, i somehow feel before this, they weren't totally sold on him or his methods perhaps.

The tactics on Sunday, using Lamela to pull Shaw out, using Aurier to run riot there, again Kane and Son, it was a bit of a masterplan.

Imagine getting sacked and then 18mths later rocking up and winning 6-1.

Now let's show that wasn't a one off, let's smash West Ham and show this season we mean proper business.

If i look at how i felt vs Everton compared to now, it's chalk and cheese. I'm excited. Jose has my full backing, he always has, but now i actually think he could still show some magic...

We really do need to keep that in mind.
Not that disparaging Jose or the team, but we went from brick against Everton to great in four games.
Two weeks of hype and anticipation after the Manchester result could get expectations raised prematurely.
Think we've all seen signs of our potential, let's not get ahead of ourselves though.
I won't be looking for anything consistent until Christmas.

Agreed, with one difference to last season

- I felt last season we got results without dominating games, bricky xG (for whatever that is worth), and players obviously not at their best
- This season, we have seen post Everton us actually upping the tempo (always a good sign for Spurs), dominating large parts of games and lot of players having good games.

No doubt we will have the odd mare of a game, but the ability to play well and dominate above and beyond the result was a real worry for a while

The biggest difference is we are playing a decent midfield. I don't know how much you guys realise but a midfield pairing of Winks and Sissoko which we majority played last season is genuinely lower midtable fare. Once GLC started getting in things improved but we still had with Winks or Sissoko as the other side of the partnership. Hojberg just balances things out and completely changes the dynamic of the midfield.

But coming back to the topic at hand, Jose. I was gutted when Poch left (and i'll always wonder what if Poch saw the investment Jose got, yes i know we'll never know...)

Jose is like Diego Costa (or Lamela!). If he's your Jose, you love him. If he's against you, you hate him. I would love to see him bring us some success. He's a bit of a pantomine villain but he's ours and i want him to smash it.

The us vs them worked at Porta, and Chelsea, and Inter. It didn't work at United. But at Spurs, maybe it fits. And for too long, our players have been too nice. I loved Poch but he was too nice.

I really cannot get over the players reaction the other day. They genuinely looked happy, a stellar difference than vs Everton. I genuinely think they felt a bit like recently, the Soton game, and now OT, they followed Jose's plan, and that plan has led to some convincing wins. I dunno, i somehow feel before this, they weren't totally sold on him or his methods perhaps.

The tactics on Sunday, using Lamela to pull Shaw out, using Aurier to run riot there, again Kane and Son, it was a bit of a masterplan.

Imagine getting sacked and then 18mths later rocking up and winning 6-1.

Now let's show that wasn't a one off, let's smash West Ham and show this season we mean proper business.

If i look at how i felt vs Everton compared to now, it's chalk and cheese. I'm excited. Jose has my full backing, he always has, but now i actually think he could still show some magic...

My hope has always been

- Jose "was' one of the great managers, the numbers back it up
- He ended up in two of the world's biggest circus clubs (Madrid, United) and still produced results
- I think it took a toll on him, burnout, bitter, whatever
but ..

- I think he genuinely (like most great managers) lives for the game, the competition. I think his time as pundit reminded him of that, he didn't want to talk about the game, he wanted to be in it.
- I think he dreams about making a success at Spurs so he can stick that narrative of "dinosaur", "yesterday's man, past it" or "chequebook manager" down everyone's throat
- Spurs doesn't put him in the pressure/circus that his previous clubs did, a trophy and top 4 here will be seen as amazing success, I genuinely think he looks happier here that I've seen in a long time.
- Jose is a perfectionist, Spurs is a very well run club, I do think it's a good match even with our budget limitations

Like you, I hope there is still a little bit of magic in the clam (he's our clam)

Last edited:
The biggest difference is we are playing a decent midfield. I don't know how much you guys realise but a midfield pairing of Winks and Sissoko which we majority played last season is genuinely lower midtable fare. Once GLC started getting in things improved but we still had with Winks or Sissoko as the other side of the partnership. Hojberg just balances things out and completely changes the dynamic of the midfield.

I agree to an extent, technically it's two things

- Midfield is vastly improved
- I'd also say have both FBs working again is making an impact (even if it's just Davies and Aurier upping their game due to competition)

But .. there is a "feeling" that has changed as well .. a hangover gone, happiness re-found, whatever the fudge it is, long may it continue ..

I guess "the world is against us" doesn't really cut it when the refs are giving you penalties like Jimmy Saville handing out Haribo.

- I think he dreams about making a success at Spurs so he can stick that narrative of "dinosaur", "yesterday's man, past it" or "chequebook manager" down everyone's throat

100% this. Jose knows another failure he'll be in Qatar or US next, and he's too much of an ego to let that. He looked up to Fergie and knows he did it for so long, so many trophies, i'm not saying he'll get close to that level but he knows this is the last roll of the dice.

Jose loves shoving 2 fingers up. He absolutely adores proving people wrong, he gets personal, Wenger, Pep, i'm fully behind him. I hope fans fudging hate us by the end of the season. And he'll love that.

400% this. Jose knows another failure he'll be in Qatar or US next, and he's too much of an ego to let that. He looked up to Fergie and knows he did it for so long, so many trophies, i'm not saying he'll get close to that level but he knows this is the last roll of the dice.

Jose loves shoving 2 fingers up. He absolutely adores proving people wrong, he gets personal, Wenger, Pep, i'm fully behind him. I hope fans fudging hate us by the end of the season. And he'll love that.

Can you imagine if that clam won more trophies at Spurs than United .. he would troll the fudge out of everyone .. hahahaha

My hope has always been

- Jose "was' one of the great managers, the numbers back it up
- He ended up in two of the world's biggest circus clubs (Madrid, United) and still produced results
- I think it took a toll on him, burnout, bitter, whatever
but ..

- I think he genuinely (like most great managers) lives for the game, the competition. I think his time as pundit reminded him of that, he didn't want to talk about the game, he wanted to be in it.
- Spurs doesn't put him in the pressure/circus that his previous clubs did, a trophy and top 4 here will be seen as amazing success, I genuinely think he looks happier here that I've seen in a long time.
- Jose is a perfectionist, Spurs is a very well run club, I do think it's a good match even with our budget limitations

Like you, I hope there is still a little bit of magic in the clam (he's our clam)

I think it was touch and go tbh, until he knew for sure that Levy was going to back him then it was maybe in the back of his mind this could all turn to ashes.
Levy has stepped up to the plate, and then some.
Hopefully what we've seen in the last couple of games is Jose being able to relax and get on with the job, and the players realising that we can be the real deal.
With everything that's going on in the world though I'm not going to be judging this season too much.

Back