• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

I think it's very difficult to put Poch in that bracket. He did amazing things with us but ahead of Mourinho, Allegri, Simeone? No way. He's never won anything. Even fellas like Mancini, Joachim Low and Didier Deschamps have more of a shout than Poch.

My take on him leaving is that he deserved at least until the end of the season. He'd earned that. But I don't think he was going to make it any better. He'd been dealt a really brick hand by the club and he played it bloody awfully. It was broken beyond repair.

he was linked with two of the biggest clubs in world football in Real Madrid and Man United, and it was quite clear United's interest was absolutely solid, despite him not winning anything.

Also, he's managed Spurs, Espanyol and Southampton, it's hardly Atletico, Real, Inter like other managers you mention. We're gonna watch him win titles and suceed and i wish him nothing but the best, he deserved so much better than what we gave him.

he was linked with two of the biggest clubs in world football in Real Madrid and Man United, and it was quite clear United's interest was absolutely solid, despite him not winning anything.

Also, he's managed Spurs, Espanyol and Southampton, it's hardly Atletico, Real, Inter like other managers you mention. We're gonna watch him win titles and suceed and i wish him nothing but the best, he deserved so much better than what we gave him.

I don't disagree with any of that. I'd love to see him do well and part of me wants him back here.

But being linked with Man U or Real Madrid doesn't translate into being classed as a great manager. Juande Ramos managed Madrid. So did Lopetegui. They've had some duffers over the years. As for United, I know he has links with the club which means it's not a standard appointment but the current manager isn't exactly world class.

If you're talking the best managers in the world, you've got to use trophies as your main benchmark and Poch has none.

Don't think we let him slip away. We didn't back him is the truth in my eyes.

In terms of top managers in the world right now, Top 3, maybe Top 5, It's Klopp, Pep, and probably Poch. You don't get one of the worlds best managers and fail to support him, because world class managers don't turn up daily at your doorstep. Look at United, look at Arsenal.

When you finally get one, and see improvements on an ongoing basis, just seems idiotic not to support him.

As i said before, i don't really blame Jose, it's not his fault, he was the wrong choice at the wrong time plain and simple.

As we aee discussing in the Levy thread, I'm more convinced that's why Poch left.
He wanted to take a punt, push out the boat and go for glory.
And I think not doing that was a mistake.
But then covid came along and destroyed our revenue, so although I think it was a miscall by Levy his caution has probably been a saviour.
Hindsight and all that.

you can't just say back the manager. think about your work in real life. as an employee and manager the commercial realities set the tone and constraints. i believe poch and levy parter because they understood that their ways had diverged across the years. I also believe that levy and mourinho have an understanding around commercial constraints and performance on the pitch. Its not clear cut as there is an interaction between the two . Similarly we all remain in our jobs as the understanding and ways of working with our employers remain intact while the pandemic has changed everything in business.

Sadly Poch promised much and didn't deliver. Yes, some great moments which in some ways exacerbated his lack of more tangible achievement.

PS We will not 'hammer' anybody ATM though, yes we have more fit players coming back.
Poch massively delivered. He changed the whole measure of what was considered success at the club. That is evidenced by you thinking that 4 CL qualifications in a row and CL final is ‘not delivering’.

Poch is a nice cuddly character. They seldom succeed, football management is tough and you need to be tough on occasion eg dropping Kane for Moura.

Good point. We’ll no longer have to put ourselves through that sort of heartache as we instead exit the cups to the likes of Norwich In the early rounds.....

• Vorm
  • Aurier
  • D Sánchez
  • Dier
  • Vertonghen
  • Skipp
  • Winks
  • Lucas Moura
  • Lo Celso
  • Bergwijn
  • Moura > Parrott
Hardly our top fit lineup?

Last edited:
  • Vorm
  • Aurier
  • D Sánchez
  • Dier
  • Vertonghen
  • Skipp
  • Winks
  • Lucas Moura
  • Lo Celso
  • Bergwijn
  • Parrott
Pretty sure Parrot didn’t start?

If we can’t put out a line up good enough to dominate and beat the team bottom of the PL and odds on favourites for the drop then how do we hope to be In the top 4 and reaching finals?

Poch is a nice cuddly character. They seldom succeed, football management is tough and you need to be tough on occasion eg dropping Kane for Moura.
Reminds me of Tiger Tim Henman - talent, wanted him to win Wimbledon so bad but he just wasn’t ruthless enough. I do think Poch will win things though eventually, the way he was so nice with our players might of taught him a valuable lesson....

Reminds me of Tiger Tim Henman - talent, wanted him to win Wimbledon so bad but he just wasn’t ruthless enough. I do think Poch will win things though eventually, the way he was so nice with our players might of taught him a valuable lesson....

Tiger Tim! Stopped watching tennis in the early 80's.

Nice guys win feck all.

I’m serious. If he had kept Moura in and had Kane on the bench nobody would’ve batted an eyelid. That was probably the expected thing to do.

Bottom line. Was anybody surprised when we lost?

Kane should have not started. But Poch was loyal, we lost, it was hot, penalty and the rest is history or should that be sexy, as we say?

• Vorm
  • Aurier
  • D Sánchez
  • Dier
  • Vertonghen
  • Skipp
  • Winks
  • Lucas Moura
  • Lo Celso
  • Bergwijn
  • Moura > Parrott

Wasn’t Alli in the side? He decided on Vorm over Gazza? We had Ndombele and Lamela on the bench? His choices

I expect that side to bear Norwich at home

Back