• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

Mourinho knows him well from his time at Chelsea and recruited him for United. He obviously rates him. I think he thought he would provide cover for our defense which it self evidently needs. Wouldn't be my first choice, but we are/were fire-fighting this season.
He also sold him at Chelsea before as well as brought him

Everything good you ascribe to Poch. All the clangers to someone else - Levy, Head of Recuitment, Head of Youth, injuries, lack of fitness, inability to sell players, etc etc.

The acid test will be how he performs at his next club. Remember, he failed at Español and indeed has he won a trophy anywhere?
Yeah... Southampton and Espanol regularly banging the trophies out.:rolleyes:

I blame everyone and the biggest culprits are levy and poch for not being able to work out together priorities on and off the pitch, short and long term.

Levy mostly as he is the big boss, but poch for team development and succession planning which are essential respinaibilities of head coach (given the funds he had available).

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
And for out-bottling the world's biggest bottler

Everything good you ascribe to Poch. All the clangers to someone else - Levy, Head of Recuitment, Head of Youth, injuries, lack of fitness, inability to sell players, etc etc.

The acid test will be how he performs at his next club. Remember, he failed at Español and indeed has he won a trophy anywhere?
Perhaps I am just trying to strike a balance to your posting where you ascribe all the clangers to Poch and everything good to someone or something else? The true picture will of course sit somewhere between our two polarised views.

Remember though that all managers make mistakes. Not all managers achieve 4 CL qualifications in a row with the 17th biggest transfer budget in the country however.

Further to the above.... after Poch was sacked I had thought that we had probably invested in the playing squad about the 8th, or maybe 10th most in England during Poch’s time at the club. I was quite surprised to see that we had actually invested the 17th most. All the more remarkable when you consider that there wasn’t a single big marquee sale to balance the books somewhat like at Chelsea and Liverpool.

Last edited:
I am sure he wanted to buy a striker in January - but so did United and Chelsea. I think he wanted Giroud as a stop gap, but we wasted our time there as Chelsea would never have let him come to us. I believe he wants a bully boy, target man centre forward ( like Drogba, Costa , Lukaku) but there weren't any of sufficient quality available. I also think he wanted Matic to prorect our defense , but he has now come good at United, who are now offering him a new two year contract.

I have said continually we need steel down our spine. A top CH, DCM and CF. Next level priority would be the full backs. We have enough quality, pretty-pretty players, we desperately need to infuse the side with winners in key positions. Most important of all, we desperately need a DOF and also a new head of recruitment.
I agree with every bit of this.

That is how i see it as well, there was nothing really availiable that would have really made a difference and i believe that is how Jose saw it.
Good players are rarely, if ever ‘available’. Shove enough money down though and that tends to change things. I think we underplayed how desperate we were, although covid-19 might yet save our season!

Good players are rarely, if ever ‘available’. Shove enough money down though and that tends to change things. I think we underplayed how desperate we were, although covid-19 might yet save our season!

Hindsight is easy

- In hindsight we should have done whatever it takes for a DM and Striker in January
- In hindsight Poch should have walked away after CL final

Reality?

- In December Jose would have expected to have Kane and Son available for the majority of remaining games, an expectation that N'dombele would get fit in a matter of weeks and together with Lo Celso those four would keep us in the running.

We were going to stumble to the finish line, probably somewhere between a europa spot and 10th .. Now we will likely have a fit team if/when the season restarts which at least gives us a shot. So yes, a very unusual world situation will for once have a chance of a positive impact on Spurs

Hindsight is easy

- In hindsight we should have done whatever it takes for a DM and Striker in January
- In hindsight Poch should have walked away after CL final

Reality?

- In December Jose would have expected to have Kane and Son available for the majority of remaining games, an expectation that N'dombele would get fit in a matter of weeks and together with Lo Celso those four would keep us in the running.

We were going to stumble to the finish line, probably somewhere between a europa spot and 10th .. Now we will likely have a fit team if/when the season restarts which at least gives us a shot. So yes, a very unusual world situation will for once have a chance of a positive impact on Spurs

You don’t think it’s fitness that is the problem with Ndombele do you?

You don’t think it’s fitness that is the problem with Ndombele do you?

Honestly, no idea, not enough insight

- some people say fitness, some say attitude, some say he's only had two years at Pro level so his body hasn't adapted ..

The only thing we know is he can't seem to last 90 minutes and often does look out of breath. He will be an interesting one to see how he is after what will hopefully be some kind of custom training program for him in the down time.

Because he is everything that we are missing at the moment (I.e a capable, positionally sound DM) who looked like he might be gettable on a free.

like I’ve said before he is actually quite immobile and actually not very good
People may be seeing his purple patch as him being at his best but for 2 years now IMO he has been a weak link and average

hence why I couldn’t see Jose going for him

Honestly, no idea, not enough insight

- some people say fitness, some say attitude, some say he's only had two years at Pro level so his body hasn't adapted ..

The only thing we know is he can't seem to last 90 minutes and often does look out of breath. He will be an interesting one to see how he is after what will hopefully be some kind of custom training program for him in the down time.
It doesn't take much fitness at all to move a few yards to make yourself available for a pass. I think at the start of the season his fitness was an issue. In recent times however it is clear that it is his attitude that is appalling (that clip doing the rounds of him casually jogging along against Wolves as Winks was charging around getting nutmegged summed up how little Ndombele gives a brick about playing for Spurs.

I agree about good players being "availiable" but i would be amazed if any club would sell their best CF during a Jan transfer window. As for buying someone just to make up the numbers well Jose knows more about it then the average fan and i will tend to trust his decision over those who are just trying to have yet another dig at Levy.

Very rarely happens at a football club.

Indeed, that is why we had our moment in the sun. We had a core of hungry young English players (Walker, Rose, Dier, Dele, Kane) some key Belgians at the top of their game (Verts, Toby, Dembele) and two quality individuals in Lloris and Eriksen. We even had some decent back up in Lamela, Davies and Trippier - although I always thought it was a mistake to let Sigurdsson go. If you had given any half decent coach those ingredients, I daresay with a little (and I mean a little) extra transfer funds, they could have moulded a decent team.

I give Poch credit that he did so and provided us all with an exciting team which played wonderful high tempo football. He was the right coach at the right time in our development. My principal gripe is that he didn't build on that exceptional foundation. Now my hope is that Mourinho will be given the time to sort out what we all know is needed. He is not my ideal head coach as I don't really like his methods or pronouncements (reminds me a bit of Gillet man) but you can't knock his track record. I just really hope he manages to deliver at Spurs.

Indeed, that is why we had our moment in the sun. We had a core of hungry young English players (Walker, Rose, Dier, Dele, Kane) some key Belgians at the top of their game (Verts, Toby, Dembele) and two quality individuals in Lloris and Eriksen. We even had some decent back up in Lamela, Davies and Trippier - although I always thought it was a mistake to let Sigurdsson go. If you had given any half decent coach those ingredients, I daresay with a little (and I mean a little) extra transfer funds, they could have moulded a decent team.

I give Poch credit that he did so and provided us all with an exciting team which played wonderful high tempo football. He was the right coach at the right time in our development. My principal gripe is that he didn't build on that exceptional foundation. Now my hope is that Mourinho will be given the time to sort out what we all know is needed. He is not my ideal head coach as I don't really like his methods or pronouncements (reminds me a bit of Gillet man) but you can't knock his track record. I just really hope he manages to deliver at Spurs.
I think though that you have to consider how difficult it was to build on that foundation and improve though when only being given the 17th highest amount of money in England to spend.

At least it looks as though our frugal days are now a thing of the past however (notwithstanding the considerable dent in our finances that covid will cause). Fingers crossed Jose can identify the right players for the spine of the team and some full back options as you earlier suggested was our problem and our chairman will deliver those players.

I think though that you have to consider how difficult it was to build on that foundation and improve though when only being given the 17th highest amount of money in England to spend.

At least it looks as though our frugal days are now a thing of the past however (notwithstanding the considerable dent in our finances that covid will cause). Fingers crossed Jose can identify the right players for the spine of the team and some full back options as you earlier suggested was our problem and our chairman will deliver those players.
We broke our record under Poch several times didn’t we?
He didn’t have to buy a world class striker which is where clubs spend their money so he actually had less to do
And of course arguably all our best players under Poch were here before him... sir people will say Son and Toby which is fair but I’d counter with the best full backs in the league we’re here, the best striker arguably in the world was here, Moussa was here and we know how highly Poch thought of him

So he had great players he just needed to add too to achieve what he did and it was a ride

We broke our record under Poch several times didn’t we?
He didn’t have to buy a world class striker which is where clubs spend their money so he actually had less to do
And of course arguably all our best players under Poch were here before him... sir people will say Son and Toby which is fair but I’d counter with the best full backs in the league we’re here, the best striker arguably in the world was here, Moussa was here and we know how highly Poch thought of him

So he had great players he just needed to add too to achieve what he did and it was a ride
Which English clubs have spent all their money on a world class striker over these past five years?

Back