• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

B0BDBE58-ADDC-4794-89CC-B7AA26187086.jpeg 4F3E5D1B-88F1-488F-9E83-1ECBE9CB36CB.jpeg 9E90EB0C-4C0E-4071-A5D2-91A28E5DB044.jpeg B0BDBE58-ADDC-4794-89CC-B7AA26187086.jpeg
Kudos to Mourinho for his service to the elderly re:Covid-19.

He might well be one of those people who carries a gruff tossy exterior but is actually a really decent guy.
AvB always come across as harsh
I met him a few times and he was sound
He met my pregnant wife with me and asked if we could call the baby after him... so I said what if it’s a girl... Andrea was his answer
He was with baldini at one point signing Capoue and because we had met him before he took us over and introduced us to the “new” player

Last edited:
most of them! just think of the front three of Pool, City, United, Everton, even the Goons have spent fortunes on forwards over the last five years.
Sorry I thought we were talking about strikers? I'm pretty sure the original point was that we didn't need to spend as much as the other teams as Harry Kane had come through our youth team, I think that is a moot point really, especially when you consider the fact that the record signings in the Premier League aren't actually for strikers....

I took a look and in the last 5 years only 1 of the top ten biggest transfer fees in the PL was for a striker and that was Lukaku going to Man Utd.

In fact if you look at the biggest signing for all of the top six clubs there isn't a single centre forward amongst them:

Man Utd: Pogba (centre midfield)
Liverpool: Van Dyke (centre back)
Chelsea: Kepa (goal keeper)
Arsenal: Pepe (right wing)
Emirates Marketing Project: Rodri (defensive midfield)
Spurs: Ndombele (centre midfield)

If you look at the next few clubs challenging for European places it is only Wolves who's record signing is a centre forward:
Everton: Sigurdsson (attacking midfield)
Leicester: Tielemans (centre midfield)
Wolves: Jimenez (striker)
Sheffield United: Berge (defensive midfield)

It looks to me that teams simply spend money trying to improve whatever areas they need to improve. We shouldn't be making excuses for our lack of spending by saying that it's fine for us to not be spending money trying to improve because we have Harry Kane.

Guys above have answered it
We’re the only team in the top half to even have a starter striker who has come through the ranks
Not sure anyone in the division has TBF
I really don't get why that means we should be happy being the 17th biggest spenders in England and assume that we can consolidate and even improve upon 4 consecutive top 4 finishes while being the 17th biggest spenders?

Sorry I thought we were talking about strikers? I'm pretty sure the original point was that we didn't need to spend as much as the other teams as Harry Kane had come through our youth team, I think that is a moot point really, especially when you consider the fact that the record signings in the Premier League aren't actually for strikers....

I took a look and in the last 5 years only 1 of the top ten biggest transfer fees in the PL was for a striker and that was Lukaku going to Man Utd.

In fact if you look at the biggest signing for all of the top six clubs there isn't a single centre forward amongst them:

Man Utd: Pogba (centre midfield)
Liverpool: Van Dyke (centre back)
Chelsea: Kepa (goal keeper)
Arsenal: Pepe (right wing)
Emirates Marketing Project: Rodri (defensive midfield)
Spurs: Ndombele (centre midfield)

If you look at the next few clubs challenging for European places it is only Wolves who's record signing is a centre forward:
Everton: Sigurdsson (attacking midfield)
Leicester: Tielemans (centre midfield)
Wolves: Jimenez (striker)
Sheffield United: Berge (defensive midfield)

It looks to me that teams simply spend money trying to improve whatever areas they need to improve. We shouldn't be making excuses for our lack of spending by saying that it's fine for us to not be spending money trying to improve because we have Harry Kane.

Buy record signings as one offs doesn’t really highlight the actual spend those clubs have made on attacking players does it

Arsenal spent around £175m on their front 3 if you include Pepe

city have spent about £130m ish and that’s with auguero being brought aged ago

pool spent £100m

united have spent £54m on martial, £14m in James plus rashford for free so £68m... so their potentially the nearest to us as they have their own developed player in there which I’ll come on to

Chelsea.... pass
Can’t actually work out what their attack is anymore but if it’s Abraham plus Pedro and Willian that’s about £70m ish I think... but it could be Mount for one of them and save them money

wolves spent about £65m

We spent £5m on dele, £27m on son and a similar figure on moura or Lamela or Bergwein dependant who we play, plus Kane

So with a 4 man attack (the others are all 3 men for the money... we have spent £59m -£62m

so to come back to their earlier argument Poch was fortunate to have Kane here as the striker he signed flopped and was runout of the club and the other strikers he had failed too for varying reasons

to buy a Kane would cost you £150m I’m the modern market and that’s money we spent elsewhere (obviously not £150m)

I really don't get why that means we should be happy being the 17th biggest spenders in England and assume that we can consolidate and even improve upon 4 consecutive top 4 finishes while being the 17th biggest spenders?

how are you getting us 17th spenders?

I assume you mean nett?

And the issue with net spend is players get sold for profits and losses which balances that out

apart from Trippier I think every player we brought in under Poch was sold at a loss weren’t they?

the number gets skewed though by selling walker for example who was brought in under another manager

Liverpool fans use it all the time as their measure of “spend” saying Klopp hasn’t spent much!!! Forgetting he sold players when he joined for less than they paid (club call) and the numbers were skewed by one sale in Countinho

Buy record signings as one offs doesn’t really highlight the actual spend those clubs have made on attacking players does it

city have spent about £130m ish and that’s with auguero being bought aged ago

pool spent £100m

united have spent £54m on martial, £14m in James plus rashford for free so £68m... so their potentially the nearest to us as they have their own developed player in there which I’ll come on to

Chelsea.... pass
Can’t actually work out what their attack is anymore but if it’s Abraham plus Pedro and Willian that’s about £70m ish I think... but it could be Mount for one of them and save them money

wolves spent about £65m

We spent £5m on dele, £27m on son and a similar figure on moura or Lamela or Bergwein dependant who we play, plus Kane

So with a 4 man attack (the others are all 3 men for the money... we have spent £59m -£62m

so to come back to their earlier argument Poch was fortunate to have Kane here as the striker he signed flopped and was runout of the club and the other strikers he had failed too for varying reasons

to buy a Kane would cost you £150m I’m the modern market and that’s money we spent elsewhere (obviously not £150m)

Exactly. Well pointed out. Also remember, in the last five years United also spent a double dye fortune on attracting Sanchez, Lukaku and Zlatan to the club!

It wasn't in attack we needed to spend big money improving our squad - not with Kane, Dele, Son there with Lamela as back up.

If you want to keep using that (dubious) stat, I will continue to point out that Levy himself has confirmed we spent £200m NET under Poch.

Kudos to Mourinho for his service to the elderly re:Covid-19.

He might well be one of those people who carries a gruff tossy exterior but is actually a really decent guy.

In the photograph, he looks to me like he is puffing his chest out like a young schoolboy in his first uniform at his first day at school!!!

pool spent £100m

Chelsea.... pass

wolves spent about £65m

Exactly. Well pointed out. Also remember, in the last five years United also spent a double dye fortune on attracting Sanchez, Lukaku and Zlatan to the club!

It wasn't in attack we needed to spend big money improving our squad - not with Kane, Dele, Son there with Lamela as back up.

These, but forget about those facts its not important when some fans just want to moan about Levy.

It’s how the club works as a “team”
On and off the pitch surely

I agree totally and as good as we have been over the last several years we would not has got as near as we have without the work Levy has done for us.

That does not mean i think anyone can not make mistakes ( i have yet to meet anyone in any field who can say that), but it seems that even after Levy has taken this club from mediocracy since he came here ( and we were at that level) they are those who seem to believe that he holds us back.

If you want to keep using that (dubious) stat, I will continue to point out that Levy himself has confirmed we spent £200m NET under Poch.
I just cannot see how those figures are arrived at? Maybe he is adding on agents fees, pay offs to players leaving and signing on bonuses as the transfer fee differentials are about £100 million short of that!

Last edited:

pool spent £100m

Chelsea.... pass

wolves spent about £65m

Again. You were claiming that we didn't need to lots of money like other clubs did because we had Harry Kane. You're then pulling in a load of players that aren't strikers to prove your point. All you are actually doing is disproving your own point. You are showing that the clubs that want to win things spend a lot of money on players..... We instead gave Pochettino £5 million a year net for his first 4 years and expected him to work miracles with that. Pochettino wanted Mane, Pochettino wanted Zaha, Pochettino wanted Martial. All wide attacking players that would've improved us. Alas, the chairman wouldn't back him. And you know what.... it's absolutely fine that the chairman wouldn't back him if we cannot afford it, but if we're giving our manager the 17th highest figure to spend in England then let's ensure that the expectations on where we finish aren't too high.

Again. You were claiming that we didn't need to lots of money like other clubs did because we had Harry Kane. You're then pulling in a load of players that aren't strikers to prove your point. All you are actually doing is disproving your own point. You are showing that the clubs that want to win things spend a lot of money on players..... We instead gave Pochettino £5 million a year net for his first 4 years and expected him to work miracles with that. Pochettino wanted Mane, Pochettino wanted Zaha, Pochettino wanted Martial. All wide attacking players that would've improved us. Alas, the chairman wouldn't back him. And you know what.... it's absolutely fine that the chairman wouldn't back him if we cannot afford it, but if we're giving our manager the 17th highest figure to spend in England then let's ensure that the expectations on where we finish aren't too high.
Where is that 17th highest spend from??

You started talking about clubs record transfers to knock the idea that clubs highest cost played normally are the attackers
My earlier point was we didn’t have to buy a striker and strikers are normally the most expensive players to buy
Kane saved us in excess of £100m minimum and would cost £200m for someone to buy
It meant the money could be spent elsewhere in the squad and proportionality a CB cost much much less than a striker or forward for example

Back