• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Johan Lange - Technical Director

Steve Walsh went to Everton and had a mare
I think in the world of scouting luck has a huge role to play…
I think as well sometimes we look at just the results too much and not at the process. Its like with us for years many people complained about our identification process, but it wasn't so bad. We identified loads of players who later proved their quality (the likes of Cavani, Suarez, Min-Jae, Ake, Dias etc) the transfer committee just didn't have the confidence to commit to those purchases or the money was not available to take that risk at the time.

What I do think is the more analytical approach will provide more confidence for the purse holders that any particular deal has less risk involved and therefore is a safer option.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

I think as well sometimes we look at just the results too much and not at the process. Its like with us for years many people complained about our identification process, but it wasn't so bad. We identified loads of players who later proved their quality (the likes of Cavani, Suarez, Min-Jae, Ake, Dias etc) the transfer committee just didn't have the confidence to commit to those purchases or the money was not available to take that risk at the time.

What I do think is the more analytical approach will provide more confidence for the purse holders that any particular deal has less risk involved and therefore is a safer option.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

100% agree.

But why would Gabanni leave when we've had the most successful transfers ever?

Also why did Monchi didn't find value in retaining those guys that are coming over.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

He wants to be a Director of Football. Everyone wants to be associated with success, so he's just trying to put himself in the spotlight as a potential DOF.

Also why did Monchi didn't find value in retaining those guys that are coming over.

If people at that level want to move to another club they generally do, so how Monchi valued them has little baring if they wanted to come to here - staff and their movements between jobs are not comparable to player trading.

My post got deleted and I thought it was worth re-stating Gabbanini's answer to this very point.

“As a chief scout, I can achieve the best level in the world, but I probably wasn’t the top sporting director for Tottenham. So when you want to be sporting director like I do, maybe you need to take another path, start with another club and maybe, one day I can come back (to a club like Tottenham) as sporting director,” he says. “The club needed someone like me at that moment (when Paratici left), but I don’t think that the club need someone like me now.”

I really liked this interview as it gave real insight into thinking and roles and shows a level of self-awareness on his behalf.

My post got deleted and I thought it was worth re-stating Gabbanini's answer to this very point.

“As a chief scout, I can achieve the best level in the world, but I probably wasn’t the top sporting director for Tottenham. So when you want to be sporting director like I do, maybe you need to take another path, start with another club and maybe, one day I can come back (to a club like Tottenham) as sporting director,” he says. “The club needed someone like me at that moment (when Paratici left), but I don’t think that the club need someone like me now.”

I really liked this interview as it gave real insight into thinking and roles and shows a level of self-awareness on his behalf.

Basically he wasn't given paraticis place so is looking elsewhere? Fair enough.

so we got the guys from Aston Villa in and lose gabbanini - can't say i'm not concerned with future transfers.

Most successful transfers ever? Bit strong. They haven't achieved anything yet.

so we got the guys from Aston Villa in and lose gabbanini - can't say i'm not concerned with future transfers.
Why be concerned? For the first time in years, we seem to have a proper structure in place. Gabbanini was only one cog in it and those cogs will change as people progress in their careers, same as for any organisation. Once we keep the structure in place and continue to identify the right people (won't always get it right) the overall structure should help even with changes.

I'll answer for him. Likely because two of the key guys for this summer's business are now either no longer at the club (Gabbianni) or are have less direct involvement (Paratici). Whether the new guys can also be similarly successful remains to be seen but I can understand the concern.

I'll answer for him. Likely because two of the key guys for this summer's business are now either no longer at the club (Gabbianni) or are have less direct involvement (Paratici). Whether the new guys can also be similarly successful remains to be seen but I can understand the concern.

His issue seems to be be relating to where the new guys are coming from tbh - which is a bit of a folly when judging staff at that level.

If it was purely a case of being worried that someone who was here and seemingly had a good record was leaving then I could understand the concern and tbf share that feeling

His issue seems to be be relating to where the new guys are coming from tbh - which is a bit of a folly when judging staff at that level.

If it was purely a case of being worried that someone who was here and seemingly had a good record was leaving then I could understand the concern and tbf share that feeling
Everyone micro looks at things that are not there either OR ignore the facts. Why I am not sure TBH

As I have said before, one of the two that have left is still going to work for the club and one of the guys coming in was once at the club before and was involved in some deals which worked out.

Every club is different and has its own goals and therefore achievements, just because they don't match up to the snobbery of some of our fans does not mean they have no credibility.

If we were to put together a dossier of what barstool chairmen would have done to the club I would be worried about where we would be now whilst they can all sit in relative safety coating off everything we do. Thankfully those that tend to naysay on here seen absent at the moment

Last edited:
Players look good when a team is playing well and vice versa. It's rare that a player looks great when the team isn't performing (bale, kane).

Signings can't be judged on 15-20 games. It's over seasons, you realise if they are good or not. Modric and son weren't great to start with. Bissouma still has a way to go.

Back