• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

January transfer window wishlist

Rose has been superb, not sure Coentrao is actually that much better.

I do like Danny Rose and I especially like that he is English as I am old fashioned and like us to bring through an English/British core. He is speedy which we need just felt he was a little too impetuous at times in his tackling. Any way it looks like a position we have no real effective cover in.

Rose has been superb, not sure Coentrao is actually that much better.

Rose has surprised me and played well at left back i would give him the season there, think the thing is to use the league cup and europa league to see if fryers is up to being his back up.

I think he'd be our 4th best RF and 3rd best CF.

Would rather go for a CF who fits more to our style - a Pato or a Hernandez to cover/compete with Soldado.

Would it not be better to buy a striker who offers something different? I think a more brutish striker would be the right alternative.

Would it not be better to buy a striker who offers something different? I think a more brutish striker would be the right alternative.

I wouldn't mind a young 3rd CF who was a bit like that (or maybe we can promote Coulthirst).

But the rest of our squad almost is two virtually interchangable players for every position (Verts-Chirches, Dawson-Kaboul, Sandro-Capoue, Townsend-Lamela, Holtby-Eriksen, Soldado-Defoe; and a bit less so Paulinho-Dembele, Siggy-Chadli, Walker-Naughton). I'm therefore just talking about a big upgrade to Defoe.

I think the way we are so dominant in possession now, we don't really need an on-the-break hold-up CF.

I agree. I know he divided opinion when we were linked in the summer but I wish we had signed Benteke

But, in the event of games that the passing supply is cut off by tight marking from the opposition and heavy pressing, would it not be good to have an alternative strategy to revert to? If we had a striker that we could by pass the midfield with, that we could knock the ball to and who would hold up the ball bringing other players in to play. Plus one who was good in the air and could therefore win the aerial challenges that would enable us to use him effectively.

We may have duplicates of players but we also have a mix. We have Kaboul and Dawson who are the dominating centre backs but we also have Vertonghen and Chiriches who are more of the cultural style. We have different styles of players in different positions in the pitch that can be brought in and out to suit. So, I think we should have a striker who is a bit different.

I would also like to see Coulthirst be developed but not entirely sure when he'll get the chance, unless he's used as a sub in Europa League fixtures.

I still like Benteke. We aren't an especially fluent side in attack, and a centre forward who can create his own chances would be invaluable to us, imo.

Of course, should we get slicker as the season goes on (and it's possible that we will) then Soldado should score a boatload of goals.

I would have liked to have had Benteke too, I think that he could have been very effective for us.

I still trust Soldado though, his goal today proved that he is a more than capable finisher, he just needs to get more chances created by the rest of the team.

Why not? RVP was involved in one, weren't he?

i meant if it was finished we should go for him, if not then it would be to much of a risk.

Do not understand people who say you can not sign someone who has been accused of something but not convicted. Think he is a great player i would as gutterboy said have him as 3rd choice striker who can cover right wing. Would probably sell lennon myself.

I would have liked to have had Benteke too, I think that he could have been very effective for us.

I still trust Soldado though, his goal today proved that he is a more than capable finisher, he just needs to get more chances created by the rest of the team.

We are clearly not playing to soldado's strengths.

We are clearly not playing to soldado's strengths.

So what are his strengths? What chances should we create for him?

His strengths seem to be for us to play in those cute passes similar to the one created by Paulinho today. Create a chance and give him a one on one with the keeper and he'll take that chance. Which player is going to have the responsibility to play that pass? Likely Eriksen or Holtby, it's what I had hoped for from Holtby today, sadly he didn't perform as well as I feel he can perhaps because of Villa's defensive work but if we continue try to feed those passes through then I believe he'll net a bag full.

So what are his strengths? What chances should we create for him?

His strengths seem to be for us to play in those cute passes similar to the one created by Paulinho today. Create a chance and give him a one on one with the keeper and he'll take that chance. Which player is going to have the responsibility to play that pass? Likely Eriksen or Holtby, it's what I had hoped for from Holtby today, sadly he didn't perform as well as I feel he can perhaps because of Villa's defensive work but if we continue try to feed those passes through then I believe he'll net a bag full.

Good post

Alert! Heavily simplistic answer incoming!

Depends largely on three things.

1) How well Rose plays between now and January.
2) How well Ade comes on between now and January: i.e, will he turn out to be a good option off the bench?
3) How well BAE plays at QPR between now and January: i.e, is it worthwhile recalling him to be Rose's back-up/replacement in the starting eleven?

If the answers to all the above are negative, i.e Rose plays badly/stays injured, Ade fails to impress and BAE struggles at QPR, then we'll need a left-back and a striker. Luke Shaw and Javier Hernandez, please: around 20 million for the first and about 15 million for the second (Hernandez will probably be more expensive to us than he would to other clubs due to our snubbing of United's Bale/Modric advances, but we should try anyway). Depends heavily on whether we can sell Ade and BAE ( :( ) for something approaching a decent price (say, 5 million each) and if we can shift a few of our players on loan to clubs that would play them regularly (Mason, Coulibaly and the like: NOT Carroll or Pritchard). If we can garner some sixteen million in sales in the window, then we'll have a net spend of minus 20 million quid counting the summer, which should help us justify spending 35 million quid to ourselves (because it enables us to stay below or around our average net spend of 16 million a season). It will involve paying high wages to Shaw (Chelsea fan, after all, and seems content at Southampton, so big incentive needed to move) and Hernandez (again, seems content at United despite getting almost no chances to play), but the savings on Ade's wages should help offset that cost.

Shaw and Hernandez. Problem sorted. :) Of course, if Rose ends up impressing and BAE gains enough fitness to be recalled as cover, then we won't need a new left-back. Similarly, if Ade grasps what I suspect may be his last chance to impress, then we won't need a striker either. In that case, though, I'd still like to see us try for Shaw, perhaps with a view to loaning him back to Southampton until the season ends. He will be England's next left-back for many years to come, and we need to start bring up our English quotient a wee bit. We also will likely need another left-back (seeing as AVB doesn't seem that keen on BAE), so the move makes sense: two high-quality English left-backs fighting over the position should help our squad depth to no end, whoever turns out to be the victor.

Really good post Dubai.

I don't think Hernandez is the answer, though. Can't see what he offers that Soldado doesn't.
Would like something different.

Last edited:
Do we need anyone????

to quote a take that song what we need is tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiimmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeee..........to gel

far more important to probably send ade on his way unless he fancies a renaissance......

we have had a massive squad overhaul.....we need time for the players to work each other out and avb needs to figure out the best 11 and the appropriate tic tacs....

I say do nothing.....unless the most of the squad in January is suffering from galloping dog rot from a dodgy lasagne.

Do we need anyone????

to quote a take that song what we need is tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiimmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeee..........to gel

far more important to probably send ade on his way unless he fancies a renaissance......

we have had a massive squad overhaul.....we need time for the players to work each other out and avb needs to figure out the best 11 and the appropriate tic tacs....

I say do nothing.....unless the most of the squad in January is suffering from galloping dog rot from a dodgy lasagne.

We do need time to gel i agree with this but we should be scouting players for goalkeeper and left back for the future.

Back