• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

January Transfer Thread - it couldn't open and close any quicker

Martinez is a decent keeper however not sure we need yet another player from Latam given the international games which they are late back from. MY vote would be to secure Sam Johnstone (contract expiring) or Nick Pope (being relegated?) as one of our two keepers

Getting Lloris on a new 3 year deal is far more important than worrying about an understudy or even long-term replacement

People too easily forget that we had underwhelming-to-crap keepers for nearly the entire period 1987-2012.

Getting Lloris on a new 3 year deal is far more important than worrying about an understudy or even long-term replacement

People too easily forget that we had underwhelming-to-crap keepers for nearly the entire period 1987-2012.

I'm not saying that we should bin Lloris, but you need 2 decent keepers and if a HG one is available, we should snap them up. Its also difficult to tell when a keeper will be past their best so you need to be prepared for it

This January I'd like to see us concentrate on getting a few freebies signed up on pre contract deals for the summer.... Once you've got the pre-contract deal agreed it should be relatively easy to then persuade the current owning club to sell for a small fee.

My worry is that Levy won't want to commit to the wage bill increase without knowing what European competition (if any) we will be playing in next year. I think that would be a mistake as there are several players that could improve our squad, though we will have to think about the number of overseas players we have. The fact that Paratici did a lot of bosman deals at Juventus makes me hopeful here though, and with our transfer funds seeming to be quite scarce at present but our wage to turnover ratio being amongst the lowest/the lowest in the PL sensible bosman deals may be a sensible route for us right now.

A few of the highlights from the <1 year on their contract market:
Belotti would be a great option as cover/competition for Kane.
Sule, Ginter, Romagnoli, Luis Felipe, Zagadou (think of the songs! ;o) and Tarkowski are all available on freebies at centre back (signing one of these could allow us to realise funds by selling one of Dier or Sanchez)... Also could sign one plus Tarkowski, then sell them both of them and add an association trained player.
Witzl, Zakaria, Brozovic, Grillitcsh and Kamara are all available as DMs (probably not a priority but selling Winks and bringing in Zakaria would strengthen us no end, or Witzl's experience might also be good for us).
Kessie and Tolisso are available in central midfield (could sign one of these and realise some transfer funds by selling Lo Celso for example)
Pavon, Dembele and Bernardeschi are available for right wing options
Onana is a top level keeper out of contract at Ajax

There are also some English based players out of contract in the summer who we couldn't yet agree deals for but might be sensible to start tapping up.....

Origi is out of contract in the summer and would be fine as number 9 back up.
Nketiah is also out of contract at Arsenal (cannot see that move happening but as an English player would make a reasonably back up forward).
Brereton Diaz is also out of contract at Blackburn (this would be a really smart signing IMO, especially as he is another association trained player).
There is also Sam Johnstone from WBA who would make a solid back up keeper choice
I got pelters when I suggested him a year ago but Lingaard is a good player as he proved at West Ham. He would be another English player we could bring in next summer for zero transfer fee, allowing us to sell an overseas player, bring in transfer funds and make more space in our squad for overseas players

Of the above if we could sign Romagnoli (I think he would be a tailor made partner for Romano) and Kessie (much better skillset for English football than Lo Celso) then we would have an improved team and squad.

Doing a deal for Brereton Diaz in the summer would then be really smart (would be a great number 9 back up who could easily become good enough to start for us)
Trying to bring in Lingaard and Johnstone in the summer to give us even more association trained players would also be smart, especially as it seems Winks and Dele will no longer be around.

This January I'd like to see us concentrate on getting a few freebies signed up on pre contract deals for the summer.... Once you've got the pre-contract deal agreed it should be relatively easy to then persuade the current owning club to sell for a small fee.

My worry is that Levy won't want to commit to the wage bill increase without knowing what European competition (if any) we will be playing in next year. I think that would be a mistake as there are several players that could improve our squad, though we will have to think about the number of overseas players we have. The fact that Paratici did a lot of bosman deals at Juventus makes me hopeful here though, and with our transfer funds seeming to be quite scarce at present but our wage to turnover ratio being amongst the lowest/the lowest in the PL sensible bosman deals may be a sensible route for us right now.

Sule, Ginter, Romagnoli, Luis Felipe, Zagadou (think of the songs! ;o) and Tarkowski are all available on freebies at centre back (signing one of these could allow us to realise funds by selling one of Dier or Sanchez)... Also could sign one plus Tarkowski, then sell them both of them and add an association trained player.
Witzl, Zakaria, Brozovic, Grillitcsh and Kamara are all available as DMs (probably not a priority but selling Winks and bringing in Zakaria would strengthen us no end, or Witzl's experience might also be good for us).
Kessie and Tolisso are available in central midfield (could sign one of these and realise some transfer funds by selling Lo Celso for example)

There are also some English based players out of contract in the summer who we couldn't yet agree deals for but might be sensible to start tapping up.....

Nketiah is also out of contract at Arsenal (cannot see that move happening but as an English player would make a reasonably back up forward).
Brereton Diaz is also out of contract at Blackburn (this would be a really smart signing IMO, especially as he is another association trained player).
There is also Sam Johnstone from WBA who would make a solid back up keeper choice
I got pelters when I suggested him a year ago but Lingaard is a good player as he proved at West Ham. He would be another English player we could bring in next summer for zero transfer fee, allowing us to sell an overseas player, bring in transfer funds and make more space in our squad for overseas players

Of the above if we could sign Romagnoli (I think he would be a tailor made partner for Romano) and Kessie (much better skillset for English football than Lo Celso) then we would have an improved team and squad.

Doing a deal for Brereton Diaz in the summer would then be really smart (would be a great number 9 back up who could easily become good enough to start for us)
Trying to bring in Lingaard and Johnstone in the summer to give us even more association trained players would also be smart, especially as it seems Winks and Dele will no longer be around.
Kessie has stepped up a lot in the last 18 months but I assume some richer clubs may want him
Zakaria is class and IMO a great signing. He is a £50m player IMO
I agree about Brereton but I thought he would have got this grade already TBF
I do like the Johnson and lingaard ideas
I’ve heard Sule is going Chelsea (I don’t rate him at all) and Ginter will replace him at Bayern. But Ginter is class IMO
Zagadou I’ve always thought was weak and I can’t comment on the other 2 as I don’t have much experience of seeing them play

Romagnoli and Brereton sound very smart signings indeed.

I'd also try and get Dembele for a low fee by giving Barca an option on Kane in the summer.

That and moving on Doherty and Davies (who I think are the completely superfluous players in our squad), would be some excellent progress

I'd take just one signing in January given how hard it is to get deals done.

Without wanting to be too optimistic though, with a DoF at the club now there has to be a chance that we do a couple deals simply due to him wanting to prove himself and justify his existence

Kessie has stepped up a lot in the last 18 months but I assume some richer clubs may want him
Zakaria is class and IMO a great signing. He is a £50m player IMO
I agree about Brereton but I thought he would have got this grade already TBF
I do like the Johnson and lingaard ideas
I’ve heard Sule is going Chelsea (I don’t rate him at all) and Ginter will replace him at Bayern. But Ginter is class IMO
Zagadou I’ve always thought was weak and I can’t comment on the other 2 as I don’t have much experience of seeing them play

I word for word agree with this. My worry is our director of football won't.

If I was out of contract I wouldn't rush into signing for Spurs or anyone in Jan. Why would you? Even if you quite fancied Spurs you could still wait all the way up until August 31st to see all the options. We hardly ever tie up deals early.

But yes, I hope we have many irons in the fire already. Maybe some deals from last summer that are still an option

If I was out of contract I wouldn't rush into signing for Spurs or anyone in Jan. Why would you? Even if you quite fancied Spurs you could still wait all the way up until August 31st to see all the options. We hardly ever tie up deals early.

Yes, similar to something I posted a few days ago about whether our ability to attract players will have reduced after 2-3 years of turgid football.

We'll need to make money talk and ok, we can't outbid certain clubs but there's a raft of decent players which have gone to smaller, less wealthy clubs.

Most important thing is to spend money well. Regardless of what you spend, if you buyer players who don't succeed or overpay then you're screwed whatever the fee is

Yes, similar to something I posted a few days ago about whether our ability to attract players will have reduced after 2-3 years of turgid football.

We'll need to make money talk and ok, we can't outbid certain clubs but there's a raft of decent players which have gone to smaller, less wealthy clubs.

Most important thing is to spend money well. Regardless of what you spend, if you buyer players who don't succeed or overpay then you're screwed whatever the fee is
Look at Romero
The guy voted the best defender in Italy chose us
He would have had a pick of clubs IMO and he chose the £££ here which is great for the club if a little daft of him with his options
Players will go for the £££

Look at Romero
The guy voted the best defender in Italy chose us
He would have had a pick of clubs IMO and he chose the £££ here which is great for the club if a little daft of him with his options
Players will go for the £££

Yes, as I said, we need to spend up. We shifted some big earners last summer, and potentially could get £5m off the wages if we flog Dele too, so should be able to make some decent offers to players

Yes, as I said, we need to spend up. We shifted some big earners last summer, and potentially could get £5m off the wages if we flog Dele too, so should be able to make some decent offers to players
Agreed
And the club was brave releasing Aurier for free and sissoko for a fiver

Back