• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

Re: Super Jan Vertonghen Official

I think you're kind of missing the point. I doubt (m)any on here debate that he's one of our best players but his attitude is quite clearly not great and he has that "what on Earth am I doing playing with these bunch of amateurs?" permanently painted across his face.

Thank you for articulating a point some of us feel.

1. "I don't like Vertonghen's body language and reports of him wanting to move if we don't get CL football"
2. "Vertonghen is playing worse than last season when we had a more settled team, a fairly settled manager and better protection of the back 4"
3. "2 must be caused by 1."

Correlation doesn't mean causation. Or do you also have explanations for why some of our other players have underperformed?

Who's quotes are those?

What's your point? Mine is pretty clear (although unnecessarily exaggerated as I have pointed out several times)…I do not care for what I am seeing from him. I expect more. He's capable of it. he was on track to be a skipper and leader of this club. He isn't showing those qualities now it's all a bit 'tits up'…I don't care for it.

Funny thing is, I never really allow myself to get upset by under-performers or under-achievers, but in this instance (much like one other I remember managerially) it comes down to what they ARE capable of that they're NOT delivering. That's what grates me so much. I had no idea it was against protocol to express opinions about Vertonghen BTW…

I actually really like the look of Chiriches and I think he can replace Jan if he goes in the summer. He's probably been the most impressive of our 7 summer signings along with Eriksen.

It would be a shame to lose Jan, but he's not as irreplaceable as the likes of Bale, Modric etc. If he wants to go (i.e. transfer request etc) and we get the money he should command, then let him go. We'll be able to buy a new defender to play with Chiriches.

Funnily enough, Caulker would've probably made a good partner for Chiriches as he needs someone aerially dominant alongside him.

I think the reaction on here have been extreme. It's been compounded by the fact that there have been stories about top 4 or I'm off. We don't know the validity of these stories. Our team has been full of horrendous errors this year it really has.

We have always been mentally weak but this time we are so fragile it is scary.

Vertonghen is one of many players who have under performed badly this year. He has been part of a bigger problem where the ship has been rudderless. The direction from the top changes too often and Sherwood us now trying to plug holes.

We lack an identity.

It just seems like a case of deja vu. He's not making the right noises if you know what I mean. I'm cynical but I think I can see where this is going i.e. a bigger club will bid for him, it will drag on throughout the summer, he'll make a lame injury excuse and/or refuse to play in the league games and eventually end up being sold and Spurs fans will laud him purely for his ability and disregard how he treated the club just like they do with our previous "best players" at the club.

You may think that sound silly, but I just can't see him being at the club next season. I've seen us lose too many top players to be convinced otherwise.

just wanted to say that BAE used to get mauled for being overadventurous with his turns and slipping up like that.

I'm not a fan of BAE but he has the passion for the club. The likes of Verts, Dembele, Paulinho, Lloris can all do one for all i care. We need passion, we need people to be hurting after a loss like Sherwood said.

just wanted to say that BAE used to get mauled for being overadventurous with his turns and slipping up like that.

I said to myself during the first half when Vertonghen pushed forward and tried that lob that he looked like someone trying to impress a possible future employer. Haven't seen him doing those driving runs for a long time.

I'm fairly sure hes not fully fit and was rushed back. May explain the poor performances.

I'm not a fan of BAE but he has the passion for the club. The likes of Verts, Dembele, Paulinho, Lloris can all do one for all i care. We need passion, we need people to be hurting after a loss like Sherwood said.

This, in a nutshell.

Jan seemed one of the few people on the park who actually wanted to try to score up until the point it all fell apart.

Jan seemed one of the few people on the park who actually wanted to try to score up until the point it all fell apart.

At the risk of sounding like a boot-boy on the fella, I wish he'd passed to a better positioned Ade 5 mins earlier rather than tried to 'Hoddle' Cech!

Vertonghen: Sherwood criticism specifically at me, no renewal offer to stay

Tim Sherwood has split Tottenham fans over the last week or so with his very public criticism of the squad. Some feel that he's right to speak his mind and others that he's skipping around blame himself and lowering expectations and perception of a good group of players.

A good performance and win against Benfica would have underlined the issue and enabled everyone to move on but the Portuguese club were just too good for Tottenham, something which simply should not be the case. Tottenham should have done better against Jorge Jesus's team but Sherwood's altercation with his opposing manager is what filled the following day's newspapers.

Jan Vertonghen's future has been discussed a lot over the last couple of weeks too, with claims that Tottenham had offered him a pay rise and extension to his contract to fight off interest from elsewhere, something which he's told Sport Wereld simply isn't the case.

He's not angling for a move but thinks much of the Sherwood criticism was aimed at him after his disastrous pass against Chelsea.

"I can definitely find me in his criticism. He talked the whole group, and I feel also addressed me.

"He has put the players put on the block and maybe that was the right approach... It was not good enough in recent weeks. Also not against Benfica."

"I heard nothing from Tottenham (about a new contract), the season still has ten games and I 'm suspended for the second leg of the Europa League. I focus now until the very end of the season."

Vertonghen went on to say that he's 100% committed right now, and he clearly isn't looking around for a new club at this moment in time.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/...criticism-specifically-at-me-no-renewal-offer

All I'd say to that is he manages to hide it well.

he has never been a smiler, a shouter or screamer......the geezer is cold as ice. Also he had a difficult injury and is taking time getting back into form

he has never been a smiler, a shouter or screamer......the geezer is cold as ice. Also he had a difficult injury and is taking time getting back into form

I hear that he may still be recovering from injury but it doesn't help that he's so quick to publicly remonstrate with colleagues when things go wrong. Especially when a couple of weeks ago (or whenever) he has was quoted, correctly or otherwise, that if we do not qualify for the CL he would have to look at his options.

Exactly - thank you! He naturally has that arrogant and calm demeanour on the pitch - it's one of the things that makes him seem like such a top player. No-one mentioned it when things were going better as a team. I didn't like his response to the CL question, but I think it's being blown out of proportion due to reading too much into his natural demeanour.

I said to myself during the first half when Vertonghen pushed forward and tried that lob that he looked like someone trying to impress a possible future employer. Haven't seen him doing those driving runs for a long time.

Perceptive observation, am inclined to agree.

Back